Canon 100D / SL1

Started by nikfreak, October 19, 2015, 10:41:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IvanT

Hey guys. Here's a pic of my 100D label, which couldn't install 100D.A or 100D.B, so I assume it's a "version C" camera. Bought in New Zealand.

Serial number edited out just in case

Hopefully we'll see ML work for this "version C" soon. Many thanks to those who have put effort into making ML for this camera possible!

dfort

Ok--what's going on, that makes three cameras without serial numbers?

Walter Schulz

You shouldn't believe in photos ...
Caption may contain a hint ...

dfort

Ah, didn't read the fine print.

Don't want anyone stealing that camera's identity?

MS96

How on earth would canon profit from "randomly" flashing different versions of their fw on the same build line, it has to be production date related.
100D.100C?

theandrewgordon

I've reviewed the audio posts and it seems the audio menu
Isn't fixed or won't be.  Could I get clarification? I'd love to know about if usb to earphones will work eventually as it does on others.

nextlabelindonesia

Please info update notification for Firmware C.. not eagerly waited ML for Canon Kiss X7  :'( :'(
Canon Kiss X7 kit User - Canon Kiss x5 kit User - Canon Lens 50mm1.4 - Canon Lens 50mm1.8 STM - Canon Lens EF 17-40 f4L - Stabilizer (DIY) / Glidecam (DIY) / Steadycam (DIY) / Slide (DIY)

dfort

@nikfreak

Saw you made some commits a few days ago--looking forward to something new. Maybe a 'C' version?

Just wondering if I could offer a feature request. Without ML the 5x and 10x zoom box can be centered on the 100D using the Trash button. Of course with ML loaded this button brings up the ML menu. On the EOSM you can do a quick press to center the zoom box and a longer press to bring up the ML menu. Could that be incorporated into the 100D?

eudjent

My Canon 100d not work with A and B version. He writes please try installing ML for 100D 100AB. what's wrong?You can help me?i m sorry for my English.

dfort

You probably have version 'C' firmware in your camera. Magic Lantern isn't working on that firmware yet--almost but not quite.

DeafEyeJedi

For those that are curious (or afraid) of SL1/100D's Focus Pixel Horrors ... Check out how far this project has progressed through with this amazing work done by the great @dfort (Special Thanks for borrowing my SL1) and it is actually working well enough for you guys to give it shot and Thanks for implementing this fine ass script into MLP @Danne! 8)

Pre:                                                                                                                 Post:
https://vimeo.com/156803224 https://vimeo.com/156803227

https://vimeo.com/156803226 https://vimeo.com/156803223

Dual-ISO's coming up next...   :-X
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

dfort

Thanks to @DeafEyeJedi for the use of his SL-1 on the focus pixel topic. If you want to see some dramatic before and after shots with the SL-1/100D/KISS X7, check this out: http://magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=16054.msg163037#msg163037

This camera has a prodigious amount of focus points in its sensor that show up in raw video yet those pesky dots can be annihilated with MLVFS and MLP.

Now what does it take to get this platform out of "Alpha-1a" state and into the unified branch so SL-1/100D/KISS X7 users can benefit from the latest Magic Lantern updates--and there's been several of them since the last builds for this camera were posted on October 26, 2015.

canoncannon

100A says use the other one, and 100B says "Could not enable boot flag" during installation and then it tells me to restart. Does this mean I have a B camera or C camera? I've tried formatting the card and using a different card. I compiled 100D.100C and put the autoexec.bin and ML-SETUP.fir on the SD card with the ML folder from one of the other packages, but I got a black screen with a red LED when I tried updating firmware.

dfort

Quote from: canoncannon on February 28, 2016, 08:02:37 PM
... I compiled 100D.100C and put the autoexec.bin and ML-SETUP.fir on the SD card with the ML folder from one of the other packages, but I got a black screen with a red LED when I tried updating firmware.

Yes, that's what I've experienced too.

Since you're able to compile you might try reverting back to revision 13131 (January 7, 2016, Branch: 100D-new-test, update consts) and that should load ML. The problem is that the trash button doesn't bring up the ML menu which is the show stopper.

You're right that the autoexec.bin file is different between the firmware versions but it is best to use "make zip" to bundle all of the necessary files in a zip package just like the nightly builds.

In any case, if you feel up to it you might look into why the trash button isn't working and suggest a fix to nikfreak.

canoncannon

Quote from: dfort on February 28, 2016, 09:06:37 PM
Yes, that's what I've experienced too.

Since you're able to compile you might try reverting back to revision 13131 (January 7, 2016, Branch: 100D-new-test, update consts) and that should load ML. The problem is that the trash button doesn't bring up the ML menu which is the show stopper.

You're right that the autoexec.bin file is different between the firmware versions but it is best to use "make zip" to bundle all of the necessary files in a zip package just like the nightly builds.

In any case, if you feel up to it you might look into why the trash button isn't working and suggest a fix to nikfreak.

Thanks for the reply, but no luck with that. Compilation seems fine, just a few warnings, but "make zip" gives me lots of "module x failed to build, deleting". But it creates the zip. If I use that to update, I get the same black screen and red LED forcing me to pull battery. I'm using the pre-built VM from the Getting Started sticky, shouldn't that have all the dependencies?

Walter Schulz

Wait, you both get the same error with 100D.100B? "Could not enable boot flag"?

canoncannon

Quote from: Walter Schulz on February 28, 2016, 10:39:24 PM
Wait, you both get the same error with 100D.100B? "Could not enable boot flag"?

Sounds like dfort had the black screen issue with C, not sure about boot flag with B. Does this message mean B is the right one for the camera but just needs some fiddling?

Walter Schulz

Yep!
Have you tried different cards? If not: Card details?
Try to format in cardreader, then in cam. Copy extracted B version files (including autoexec.bin and ML dir) to card and retry.

canoncannon

Using Patriot 4 GB class 4 and SanDisk 8 GB class 4. Tried Windows quick formatting and camera low-level formatting on the Patriot. I'll try those steps though.

Edit: same problem. Should I be in a particular mode to update? Remove lens?

canoncannon

Tried low-level format from camera, copy 100B files to card, make bootable with EOScard. Camera turns on to stock firmware still.

nikfreak

You'll fail with a simple "make zip" if that's all you do to get the C revision running.

To sum it up:
We got 3 known firmware revisions called A & B & C (hopefully there aren't more).
Camera serial numbers or sticker labels won't help you in determining the firmware revision.

ToDo's:

• Hopefully get 70D merged into unified branch as 100D / SL1 uses 70D's branch as base (we need this for revision handling). This situation makes life just more difficult in terms of porting, trying out pull request and so on. Rebase 100D from the new unified branch and also create a new pull request for 100D afterwards.
  • Use at least the parts modifying task_dispatch_hook stub (preferrably we want to get the PR used fully and not only parts of it) from https://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/pull-requests/672/dryos-task-hooks-for-newer-cameras-6d-70d. The task_dispatch_hok stub is responsible for the "C" rev not being able to bring up ML menu. Hint: I might have made a typo or whatever while porting it. The stubs should be fine though but it may be a simple copy & paste error. Nothing really hard to do - just time consuming as I wasn't able to fix it quickly by double checking stubs.
  • Q/SET button handling is dirty hacked atm. Find a way to hack the app itself. Another option would be to override the CFn setting with a property but Canon hasn't a simple option in its menu to disable the "Q" button. You can only chose one of the different settings but do not have an option to disable it.
  • Check memory management vram stuff or whatever causes the ML menu having artifacts (see screenshot from pull request listed above)
  • Check this screenshot and find a way to solve the issue. This causes also the artifacts and happens only in LV / MV mode. Switching to playback mode and back fixes the issue. Question: What's wrong with address #2020202 and it's fixed size of 514x514 and why is it overlapping almost all edmac channels? https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9Mu66yg5QzRc3liZWZ6T2Jzb3M/view?usp=sharing

Unfortunately you will not see a public release of a "C" revision firmware before I get most of the ToDo's listed above done. No ETA's atm, sorry. It looks rather like we need to strip down features and find the one which is causing the artifacts and drives the edmac channels crazy.
[size=8pt]70D.112 & 100D.101[/size]

Walter Schulz

Quote from: canoncannon on February 28, 2016, 10:59:53 PM
Edit: same problem. Should I be in a particular mode to update? Remove lens?

Reset Canon settings to factory defaults (including C.Fn) and run M mode (no liveview) and retry.
Are you using original Canon batteries?

dfort

Quote from: nikfreak on February 29, 2016, 11:51:01 AM
You'll fail with a simple "make zip" if that's all you do to get the C revision running.

Strange, that worked when I did the regression test and I didn't have the black screen issue with the January 7, 2016 'C' version. Seemed like you were so close, the only problem was not being able to bring up the ML menu with the Trash button.

Anyway, looks like getting that 70D pull request accepted will help move the 100D port forward.
https://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/pull-requests/620/add-support-for-eos-70d-111-both-revisions/diff

canoncannon

Quote from: Walter Schulz on February 29, 2016, 01:26:38 PM
Reset Canon settings to factory defaults (including C.Fn) and run M mode (no liveview) and retry.
Are you using original Canon batteries?

Getting no liveview might be a problem. The stock firmware is messed up somehow (prior to trying ML) and most buttons don't work in photo and movie mode so I'm trying to install ML so that I can use the camera. Right now the only way I can bring the menu up is if I switch to SCN, turn the camera on to movie mode, switch to M, and press Menu. Once I get the menu up everything is normal until I leave the menu. From the menu I can get to playback mode and that's normal, but closing the menu in photo or movie mode leaves me back in the problem state. Based on that it doesn't seem like a hardware issue. And there's apparently no public firmware for the SL1 so I can't reflash the original firmware.

I am using a Canon battery but I have some 3rd-party batteries also.

Walter Schulz

@canoncannon: You may ask a1ex to help. I strongly recommend to postpone further attempts to run ML installation until advised by him.