Author Topic: Canon 70D  (Read 1712938 times)

OlRivrRat

Re: Canon 70D
« Reply #3425 on: December 21, 2019, 01:15:46 AM »
                 @Alex

Have You acquired a Rom Dump for the 113 FirmedUp 70D from anyone yet or

is it looking like it is going to be up to Me ~
ORR~DeanB  ~~  80D-ML  &  SL1+ML  &  5D2+ML  &  5DC+ML  &  70D+ML(AliveAgain)

a1ex

• Administrator
  • Quarantined
« Reply #3426 on: December 21, 2019, 07:36:45 AM »
No, I did not. There was a private request from another user (besides the one from here), but there was no reply after asking them to run the portable ROM dumper.

There is no developer that has 70D to try that out?

Apparently there is no active developer that has 70D, otherwise they would have tried it :D

I can test some things in QEMU, but most of the "interesting" stuff (LiveView, image capture, Wi-Fi) are not working there.

Grizraz

• New to the forum
« Reply #3427 on: December 22, 2019, 12:56:09 PM »
Is focus bracketing available for the 70D?
Lost my camera body (650D) to a bad fall and looking to replace with 70D. Focus bracketing was used often.
Dual ISO, Motion Detect and bulb times were other frequently used settings that were avail on the 650D build.
If not, I may consider another body that Magic Lantern has added these features to the build.

OlRivrRat

« Reply #3428 on: December 22, 2019, 04:48:38 PM »
" Apparently there is no active developer that has 70D, otherwise they would have tried it "

It certainly does appear that ML interest in the 70D has waned dramatically, which is

why I was pleasantly surprised when You posted that You would Give It A Look ~

If You can't get a RomDump from some User that has already FirmedUp their 70D by

end of week / after Christmas, I guess I'll take the dive ~
ORR~DeanB  ~~  80D-ML  &  SL1+ML  &  5D2+ML  &  5DC+ML  &  70D+ML(AliveAgain)

12georgiadis

• 5DmkIII - 7D - EOS-M
« Reply #3429 on: December 30, 2019, 04:35:46 PM »
Hi everyone !
I read a lot of pages to know what are the updates for 70D and I'm not sure to understand exactly what is actually working.
From what I understood, we can have 1832*1024, 23,98 continuous in 12 bits lossless right ? Does DPAF works with these settings ?
Is it stable ? Does a VAF-7D also works with DPAF ?
Thanks

ArcziPL

• Contributor
« Reply #3430 on: January 05, 2020, 06:29:44 PM »
From what I understood, we can have 1832*1024, 23,98 continuous in 12 bits lossless right ?
I was personally always recording 25 fps so far but 23,98 is just a setting from the Canon menu, which should work same good. So: yes.

Does DPAF works with these settings ?
Yes.

Is it stable ?
From my experience: yes.

Does a VAF-7D also works with DPAF ?
Never had one but I expect: yes. VAF only blurrs the image. Nothing less, nothing more. I don't see any reason why it should interfere with DPAF.
70D.112 | M50.102 | M.202

12georgiadis

• 5DmkIII - 7D - EOS-M
« Reply #3431 on: January 05, 2020, 07:21:43 PM »
I was personally always recording 25 fps so far but 23,98 is just a setting from the Canon menu, which should work same good. So: yes.
Yes.
From my experience: yes.
Never had one but I expect: yes. VAF only blurrs the image. Nothing less, nothing more. I don't see any reason why it should interfere with DPAF.
Thank you ArcziPL, that's surprising that this camera has not so much popularity because it seems by far the best APS-C camera because of DPAF.
I'm gonna switch from my 7D to the 70D now.

vastunghia

• New to the forum
  • 70D'er
« Reply #3432 on: January 20, 2020, 05:14:19 PM »
I'm sorry, I know this is most likely a silly question, but I have been going through several pages of this Forum history, to no avail...

What is exactly limiting the RAW recording to 1832*1024 at this stage? At first I thought it was write speed, but since changing the recording mode (14/12/10 bit, uncompressed, lossless etc) does not change anything (does it?), I guess this is not it?

Apart from this, I am happily RAW-recording using arczipl's build (magiclantern-Nightly.2019Mar07.70D112_crop_rec_4k_mlv_lite_lossless). Thanks to all of ML community for the incredible work!

Sergio

Ps: what am I missing from the magiclantern-Nightly.2019Mar15.70D112_crop_rec_4k_mlv_lite_lossless_fps_override_experimental build?

Walter Schulz

• Contributor
« Reply #3433 on: January 21, 2020, 01:02:39 PM »
Press loupe/magnify button to access "crop mode" for higher resolutions.
Photogs and videographers: Assist in proof reading upcoming in-camera help!. Your input is wanted and needed!

vastunghia

• New to the forum
  • 70D'er
« Reply #3434 on: January 23, 2020, 01:47:31 PM »
Press loupe/magnify button to access "crop mode" for higher resolutions.

Nice and easy, thanks a lot. I thought I needed to use Canon's built-in 3x zoom.

Using ML crop mode as you suggested, instead, I get 5x and 10x (this one for focusing I guess) -- is it the way it is supposed to be?

And, once again, what is exactly limiting the RAW recording to 1832*1024 at 1x? Just for my understanding.

Thanks

Sergio

Walter Schulz

• Contributor
« Reply #3435 on: January 24, 2020, 03:25:24 AM »
Nice and easy, thanks a lot. I thought I needed to use Canon's built-in 3x zoom.

If your cam has an "Movie Crop Mode" entry in Movie tab you can use this option, too.H

And, once again, what is exactly limiting the RAW recording to 1832*1024 at 1x? Just for my understanding.

Like most ML supported cams 70D uses "line skipping" in H.264 and uncropped RAW/MLV recording where only every third sensor line is processed. Lookup terms "native resolution", "line skipping".
Photogs and videographers: Assist in proof reading upcoming in-camera help!. Your input is wanted and needed!

vga256

• New to the forum
« Reply #3436 on: January 30, 2020, 03:36:53 PM »
I've been lurking in this thread for the past two years, and just want to thank the ML community for keeping the 70D alive.

After shooting raw video for the past couple of years on my 70D, I've got hours and hours of footage - enough that the 70D has become my daily driver for commercial videography. I've had a hard time finding a better alternative at the same price point so far. The learning curve was a bit steep for understanding the majority of the settings, but it has paid off handsomely with the rich colour I get out of the camera.

Some things I've noticed over the years:
- I shoot 14 bit lossless @ 1832x1024 16:9 24 fps continuous for the most part. The buffer usually hovers *very* close to full, but I can usually get away with continuous recording. For bright and visually complex scenes, sometimes it does overrun the buffer and I need to start recording again.
- For sensitive moments like interviews where I can't afford to miss a few seconds due to buffer overflow, I drop the camera down to 12 bit lossless. Perfect continuous recording there without the risk of buffer overrun.
- Running the camera in full Manual mode is critical for getting good images out of it. I set the shutter speed at 2x the framerate: so in my case, that's 24 fps with a shutter speed of 1/48.19
- I run with Global Draw off. I found the extra information useful, but ultimately distracting while I'm filming.

Not much new here, but I just wanted to share for anyone looking to try out ML on their 70D. Without it, I basically wouldn't have a film career. Much appreciated everyone :)

vredo

• Just arrived
« Reply #3437 on: January 30, 2020, 09:19:04 PM »
Hello,

i've installed the Nightly from 2018 Dec 24. I have a problem with the overlay. When I go through the canon overlays with the "Info" button the magic lantern overlay doesn't appear.

My settings for the overlay:

Global draw: ON, all modes
Zebras: LumaFast, over 99%
Focus Peak: ON, 0,5, local
Magic Zoom: (+), Med, TL, 2:1

I have restored the ML defaults a few times and i also installed Magic Lantern again. Same problem.

What's wrong ?

Thank you

lojzik

• New to the forum
« Reply #3438 on: February 03, 2020, 06:34:45 AM »
What is suggested/best build for 70D? We have nightly build, 3 experimental builds, somewhere some custom builds ... Is there some list of builds for 70D with some notes, differences, urls,..?
70D.112

yokashin

• Freshman
« Reply #3439 on: February 03, 2020, 01:19:10 PM »
What is suggested/best build for 70D? We have nightly build, 3 experimental builds, somewhere some custom builds ... Is there some list of builds for 70D with some notes, differences, urls,..?

https://bitbucket.org/ArcziPL/magic-lantern/downloads/

Sonoaux

• New to the forum
« Reply #3440 on: February 03, 2020, 02:56:09 PM »
Hi. I have tried these three builds and have not been able to implement crop rec to record at higher resolutions.

3-10x digital zoom was enabled in the Canon menu but as you see in the images below it says crop mode is not enabled.

croprec4kmlvlitesnd+sd_uhs-2018Aug10.70D112

Mar07.70D112_crop_rec_4k_mlv_lite_lossless

Mar15.70D112_crop_rec_4k_mlv_lite_lossless_fps_override_experimental

Here is a link to some photos of the settings used: 
http://imgur.com/gallery/1WzicGN
http://imgur.com/gallery/2nNGxGL

I feel like I am missing some setting. Everything else seems to work perfectly

Walter Schulz

• Contributor
« Reply #3441 on: February 03, 2020, 03:28:37 PM »
Only one public pic visible. Second "not found".
Have you tried to disable the crop setting from the menu and pressing loupe/magnify button in liveview instead?

Sonoaux

• New to the forum
« Reply #3442 on: February 03, 2020, 04:32:42 PM »
Thats it! Thank you

sonicthehedgehog@live.com

• New to the forum
« Reply #3443 on: February 19, 2020, 06:56:45 PM »
Greetings .... I'm 'new' to magic lantern, though I've been reading the forums on and off for a couple of years ... The following account *may* be of help to some who are starting out ...

Naturally I was 'fearful', worrying about possible camera damage. Trying to figure out *which version* of M/L to load was a nightmare and I pondered this for a long time. Would it be the December 24th, 2018 nightly build? That *seems* rather dated now. Then again, would I *risk* a more recent 'experimental' build? Decisions, decisions. Well, I finally chose the experimental version of March 24th 2019. Why? Simply because it offered the ability to record in 10, 12 or 14 bit RAW - straight from the 70D's sensor. Now I must say, I'm NOT an overly 'techy' sort of guy. I'm 'visual', and I prefer to keep things 'simple'.....

So, I got to thinking that this 'cropped' (3x or 5x - whatever) was toooo much of an inconvenience. I just wanted 'simple'. Soon I realized that the largest video 'frame' size M/L would allow me to capture (without the 3x), was 1832 x 776 pixels. That's based on a 2.35 to 1 aspect ratio. So not quite full HD width. But I'd read that you still get great results after up-scaling, so I continued in hope. Well, really the rest is history. At the end if the day, all I was after was a *film look* from the 70D - with it's amazing focus system. Based on this goal, here's how I proceded:

■ Normally, (without M/L), I'd go with 24 fps (like 'real' film), using a fixed aperture of 1/50th of a second (roughly 'twice' the frame rate).
■ Also I find that an ISO setting of 640 - is as high as I can get away with, without introducing too much visual noise. It also happens to be an *ideal ISO* for shooting indoors. In a room with bright natural or artificial light, you get a perfect exposure at f:2.8. Neat.
■ I followed M/L instructions, loading the (3 files) onto a fast SD card, (which I'd formatted first). I used a Samsung EVO 64GB SD card, 60MB/sec write speed.
■ As mentioned, I went with the March 24th, 2019 M/L 'experimental' build. I chose to record at 10 bit, which (I thought) was enough of a quality boost without stressing my camera too much. A more demanding 12 bit capture would mean reducing my frame resolution.
■ 10 bit recordings would give me 1832 x 776 resolution, (set for 2.35:1 aspect ratio), resulting in 40.6 Megabytes of data being sent to the SD card each second. This is the bottleneck of the 70D, since it's limit is 40MB/s throughput to the memory card. 40.6 MB/sec is *just over* the limit, and a test yielded just under 4 minutes before the camera stopped recording. (the M/L 'display' showed that the camera's internal temperature had risen from 26° to 32° during recording). 4 minutes would be ample for most shots, and *if* a longer duration was needed, the frame resolution could be lowered. Reducing to a 1792 x 762 resolution gives unlimited recording time, (the on-screen counter being 'green' this time, rather than amber). I only went to 7 minutes - way long enough, (this time the temperature rose from 31° to 41°). This is to be expected - the internals are working harder than usual.
■ After recording, I removed the SD card but FIRST WAITING 5 seconds AFTER opening the SD card DOOR. The card is then slotted into a PC.
■ Using the free program called "MLV App" (a 'RAW to Video' converter from Magic Lantern), just go to 'File' > 'Import MLV' & navigate to (open) your file.
■ In "MLV App"s right-side pane, select 'Fix Bad Pixels' > ON (This does *wonders* for hiding those bright 'hot' pixels).
■ Under 'Debayer Algothithm' I went with 'AMaZE' (which is the default and to me gave the best result).
■ To sharpen or not to sharpen. *Maybe* to just '20' - a tiny boost, to get a little more 'percieved' resolution. But with a sharp lens, I'd leave this at '0'.
■ Set RBF Denoise Chroma to desired level. Around the 40 to 60 range worked best for me.
Bear in mind, this run-down is for a 'basic approach' to quickly get your RAW files into a standard (editable) video file. By default this will output your video as 'REC 709'. You *could* do extra fine tuning with MLV's built-in 'level' and 'color' controls (or do that later in your NLE). You could also choose a 'log' profile for better grading control. You could even output as 'Digital Negatives' (DNG's) for maximum control in software like 'DaVinci Resolve'. But for now - back to basics.
■ EXPORT: Click the "Cogs" icon at the top, choose 'Codec' > 'Uncompressed AVI' and 'V210 10bit' (or ProRes 4444 for smaller file sizes).
■ RESIZE: I entered 3664 x 1552 - exacly twice my recorded resolution. I wanted the best I could get straight out of the gate. But you leave this unselected if you're happy with the camera's recorded resolution.
■ I used 'Smooth aliasing' 3 pass. It does a fantstic job smoothing jaggy edges and reducing the high ISO noise. (Long render times though, and if you don't want (nice) Motion Blur at this stage then DON'T select it).
■ Click the folder Icon left of the 'Cogs icon', enter a File Name & Location and hit SAVE. That's it! - Editable files processed from the RAW data. Now it's onto the editing and color grading.

Uncompressed files are large, so I convert them to an intermediate codec inside Vegas, which reduces them to about 1/3 their size. A more economical approach would be to scale them to 1080p directly from inside the *MLV App* if that's the desired delivery resolution. I'm still experimenting, here's some comparisons:

10 bit recordings:
1832 x 776 (largest FF) = 40.6MB/sec of data (Amber display - buffer's fed 0.6MB/sec above what it can write to the card)  test = 3m 50s
1792 x 762 = 39.0MB/sec of data (Green display - buffer not being choked)  Unlimited record time

12 bit recordings:
1832 x 780 (largest FF) = 49.0MB/sec of data (Amber display - buffer's fed 9.0MB/sec above what it can write to the card)  test = 25 seconds
1728 x 736 = 43.6MB/sec of data (Amber display - buffer's fed 3.6MB/sec above what it can write to the card)  test = 1 minute
1632 x 694 = 38.8MB/sec of data (Green display - buffer not being choked)  Unlimited record time

14 bit recordings:
1832 x 776 (largest FF) = 56.8MB/sec of data (Amber display - buffer's fed 16.8MB/sec above what it can write to the card)  test = 14 seconds
1728 x 736 = 50.8MB/sec of data (Amber display - buffer's fed 10.8MB/sec above what it can write to the card)  test = 22 seconds
1520 x 644 = 39.1MB/sec of data (Green display - buffer not being choked)  Unlimited record time

Note: The resolution sizes shown here are what I was able to select on the 70D. They differ slightly to what's shown in the M/L RAW Calculator https://rawcalculator.netlify.com/calculator_desktop , which indicates '1824' (not 1832) as the maximum available width.

Hoping this helps or inspires some-one ..... And I'd be amiss if I didn't say a big 'thank-you' to the amazing M/L Gurus who've achieved such incredible results from these Canon cameras.

russellsnr

« Reply #3444 on: February 27, 2020, 09:27:30 AM »
Hi, Posted this question in the general help section for three days without any replies so please can you use ML focus stacking option with a 70D in Photo mode (not video)? Did with my 600D but cannot see it for 70D. Thankyou, Russ.

nikfreak

• Developer
« Reply #3445 on: February 27, 2020, 05:20:55 PM »
70D ist stubborn due to the dual pixel cmos AF. Some focusing features are not enabled. I can't remember myself what exactly was wrong but it had been reported as non working feature and is therefore disabled. You might give it a go and enable the feature and compile a new build to test it though.
70D.112 & 100D.101

vga256

• New to the forum
« Reply #3446 on: March 03, 2020, 11:00:54 PM »
@stan101 asked me to provide a straightforward walkthrough of ML for the 70D to get him started. I promised a Youtube vid explaining my process and settings, but I'm a little squeezed for time this week so I'll provide a bullet-point form response until I can get to filming a tutorial:

Q: What version of ML do you run on your 70D?
A: I use Magic Lantern Nightly.2019Mar07.70D112 (02e5918a6ed5+ (crop_rec_4k_mlv_lite_snd)) Built on 2019-03-07 20:10:24 UTC by artur@Artur-VirtualBox. This is ArcziPL's build discussed here. Download here.

Q: What settings do you use on your 70D?
A: I aim for the highest visual quality I can attain, sometimes at the cost of recording time.

Following are my Canon/70D settings accessed via the 'Menu' button:
Movie1 ->
AF method: Face+Tracking
Movie Servo AF: Enable

Movie2 ->
Grid display: Off
Movie rec. size: 1920/24/All-I
Digital zoom: Disable
Sound recording ->
       Sound rec.: Manual
       Rec. level: a few ticks past zero.
(I use an external microphone setup that has its own amplifier, so I set the internal amp as low as possible. If you're using your camera's internal mic, just set Sound Rec: Auto)

Below are my ML settings accessed via the 'Trash Can' button:

ML -> Modules ->
crop_rec: OK
mlv_lite: OK
mlv_snd: OK
All other modules are disabled.

These three modules must be enabled before the below settings can be worked on.

ML -> Movie -> RAW video ->
Resolution: 1832x1024
Aspect Ratio: 16:9
Data format: 14-bit lossless
Sound Recording -> Enable Sound: On, Sampling Rate: 48 Khz
All others are left at ML defaults.

ML -> Overlay ->
Global Draw: OFF

ML -> Expo ->
White Balance: Auto
ISO: 100 (As another poster mentions, anything below 640 works well.)
Shutter: 1/48.19, 179* (Following the 180 degree shutter angle rule for creamier motion blur)
Aperture: whatever your lens supports
Picture Style: Cinestyle (I've downloaded the Cinestyle profile for the 70D and installed it as User)
All other left at ML defaults.

Q: How much recording time can I expect from this?
A: It depends on the complexity of the scene, but anywhere from 30 seconds to 5 minutes. The camera pushes to the SD card at 40-40.5 MBps at these settings. This is at the threshold of what the camera can handle.

Q: I need continuous recording. What settings should I use?
A: Drop your ML -> Movie -> RAW Video -> Data Format down to 12-bit lossless. This reliably writes to the SD card at 35-39 MBps, which provides unlimited/continuous shooting.

Q: I *really* need to shoot at 14-bit and want continuous recording. What settings should I use?
A: ML -> Movie -> Raw Video -> Aspect Ratio: 2.20:1 provides a resolution of 1832x832. You will get continuous shooting at 39MBps at 14-bit.

Q: What SD card do you use?
A: I use a SanDisk Extreme Pro 128GB U3/V30 170MB/s card. This card can write at 95 MB/s, which is overkill for the 70D, but it gives me an upgrade path if I decide to get a faster camera.

Q: What speed does the 70D write to the SD card at?
A: The maximum possible speed is 40MB/s. Anything above this will run the camera out of buffer within a few seconds.

Q: My ML menu screen flickers every few seconds. Why?
A: I have no idea. Mine does too.

Q: What program do you use to convert MLVs to another format?
A: MLV App.

Hope that helps @stan101! A Youtube tutorial is forthcoming in a week or two.

sonicthehedgehog@live.com

• New to the forum
« Reply #3447 on: March 04, 2020, 11:28:37 AM »
Nice one vga256 ....
When I saw your post here - I loaded up ArcziPL's build as well. Terrific! - now I've got sound as well.
Yes, the 'flickering' is a little annoying but it's only on the menu so no big deal. I ended up going with 1832 x 832 and was happy with 12 bit. I see what you mean about running time being dependent on the 'complexity of the scene'. If I use 'fast' camera moves it sometimes causes the recording icon to go yellow, or even red - indicating the buffer's filling too fast - but it always seems to recover and turn green again. My card's only 60MB/sec write speed, which is on the 'lean' side, but overall I still get very adequate recording times - (better than before). Thanks to all the clever folk involved - you're all thoroughly *brilliant* ....

nieller

• New to the forum
« Reply #3448 on: March 04, 2020, 01:02:28 PM »
I've been lurking in this thread for the past two years, and just want to thank the ML community for keeping the 70D alive.

After shooting raw video for the past couple of years on my 70D, I've got hours and hours of footage - enough that the 70D has become my daily driver for commercial videography. I've had a hard time finding a better alternative at the same price point so far. The learning curve was a bit steep for understanding the majority of the settings, but it has paid off handsomely with the rich colour I get out of the camera.

Some things I've noticed over the years:
- I shoot 14 bit lossless @ 1832x1024 16:9 24 fps continuous for the most part. The buffer usually hovers *very* close to full, but I can usually get away with continuous recording. For bright and visually complex scenes, sometimes it does overrun the buffer and I need to start recording again.
- For sensitive moments like interviews where I can't afford to miss a few seconds due to buffer overflow, I drop the camera down to 12 bit lossless. Perfect continuous recording there without the risk of buffer overrun.
- Running the camera in full Manual mode is critical for getting good images out of it. I set the shutter speed at 2x the framerate: so in my case, that's 24 fps with a shutter speed of 1/48.19
- I run with Global Draw off. I found the extra information useful, but ultimately distracting while I'm filming.

Not much new here, but I just wanted to share for anyone looking to try out ML on their 70D. Without it, I basically wouldn't have a film career. Much appreciated everyone :)

How on earth do you accomplish continuous shooting in 14bit RAW on the 70D? Isn't the write limit natively around 40mb/s on the 70D? I only get about 5 secs of running time if i shoot 14bit @1832x1024 16:9 24 fps. Regardless of fast card. Love to hear if you've changed any settings i haven't tried.

cheers

/NC

Walter Schulz

• Contributor
« Reply #3449 on: March 04, 2020, 07:12:58 PM »
He is using lossless compression mode.

And please do not full quote...