Raw Video: 50D vs 7D

Started by dogmydog, January 08, 2014, 06:59:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

keikun007

thank you guys, it was all very clarifying. helped me a lot

dpjpandone

So I got the 7D and I like it quite a bit. It is definitely nice to have full 1080i out of the hdmi port for monitoring, and I really appreciate the ability to capture reference sound easily. I have to say that I like the image a bit better than the 50D, but this is probably because I shot on the t3i for a few years and I am used to using this sensor, although, I am also used to having digitally pulled digic iso values from ML (which is not available on 7D)

Jbowdach

Quote from: Andy600 on June 12, 2014, 02:52:26 PM
I'm with Midphase on this. The BM pocket with speedbooster is probably the best bang-for-your buck option. Some pros are bemoaning the color and DR of the stock GH4 (Stu Maschwitz returned his for the Sony). It really needs the add on + a 4K recorder to get the best from it. I think Convergent Designs are doing something for the GH4 with their Odyssey 7Q but it costs quite a bit for that set-up.

The 50D is certainly the best option if funds are limited. Add a VAF (or shoot non-crop) and an anamorphic lens and you can get some terrific images with very nice color.

If you simply 'must' go 4K the Sony A7s looks better than the GH4. It has insane low-light abilities and it's full frame but costly.

As for selling the 60D and getting a 50D as a replacement? If you only want it for raw video then yes but remember the 50D has no audio inputs/mic etc. The 7D is (on paper) better than the 50D but really there is not much in it when it comes to raw video. If anything, I think the 50D image looks nicer (and I've shot/worked with a lot of 7D and 50D raw footage).

I know this is an enitrely different subject, but can anyone recommend cheap anamorphic lenses? Are people having good luck using the Letus35 or SLRmagic adapter?

dpjpandone

yeah, just search for anamorphic, you'll find a better thread, I like redstan btw

Jackeatley

Quote from: Jbowdach on June 26, 2014, 06:52:22 PM
I know this is an enitrely different subject, but can anyone recommend cheap anamorphic lenses? Are people having good luck using the Letus35 or SLRmagic adapter?

Its probably not wise to advise anything with cheap and anamorphic in the same sentence, if your after the effect then maybe. But if you want to use that whole 50d sensor area i'd be very careful. Even a very good anamorphic is likey to do some damage, but might help you benefit from more resolution. Use a bad one, or even a half decent one and it'll look like you permanently added a Vaseline vignette.

If you like the look, awesome. But if your after a resolution increase and very subtle "cinematic" anamorphic effects its going to get very expensive.

I've looked a fair bit at the century optics 4:3 to 16:9 and i'm not all that impressed. Same goes for the projection lenses. The Bolex was about the best i've seen, but again it was shown off by someone who knew what they where doing... The Bolex is also designed for taking, so you get a shorter minimum focus, rather than the mess you get with projection lenses and diopters.

The way to do it well is to use actual anamorphic taking lenses.

Levas

I can only think of a few reasons to replace a Canon APS-c camera with another Canon APS-c camera ? (50d, 60d, 7d, 500d etc...)
-1: to get mic input (50d doesn't have one...)
-2: continuous recording time, 50d has higher bitrates with the compact flash systems.

Image quality wise, I can't imagine that the difference is that much, their all APS-C camera's with 15 or 18 Megapixel sensor...
If you want something better image quality wise, better safe up for something totally different than the existing generations of Canon APS-C camera's
Maybe Canon Full-frame (or Sony), or Black magic...

Flocksock

Hello, at the moment I got an Canon 60D with Magic Lantern... shooting RAW Video.
The 20MB sucks. So i want a asecond APS-C Camera with 70MB or 80MB. (50D or 7D)
My budget is around 1200,- Euros.

I want to buy Canon 50D. Reasons:
- 1584 x 894 continues recording is fine
- i don't need sound
- its cheap. Only 400,- Euros + Fast CF Cards (another 100,- or 200,- Euros)

Now i confused because of this thread and the 7D.
I thought 7D is not working...because:
- raw-chart = 7D was allways on the "NOT WORKING" area. (not anymore, but still sceptical)
- Bending issues

But i also read this:
- 7D has less moire?!
- 50D image looks nicer (worked with a lot of 7D and 50D raw footage)
- Some people say 7D looks better.

My own thoughts:
- The Monitor / Settings on a 7D might be better
- 7D less overheating.
- 7D maybe a little better in low light?

Than i thought i could also buy a "Black Magic Pocket Camera" for 1000,- Euros.
But i'm afraid that the monitor sucks, and the battery life sucks, too.
And i need EF Adaptors, too. I don't care abaut ProRess, or "Compressed DNG" Files.
Magic Lantern RAW is fine... and it think i want to go with a Canon Camera + Magic Lantern.
I will use the camera only for "personal experimental projects". Not commercial work.

I know i reactivate an old thread.
I just want to know if there are any new experinces.
New thoughts about that topic? (50D vs 7D vs Black Magic Pocket Camera)

Walter Schulz

Flocksock

Yes, Germany. I never bought a used camera. But when i want to buy i Canon 50D i have to.
I was checking amazon for "Canon 50D - gebraucht" and it cost between 360 - 400 Euros.
I will also check "Ebay Kleinanzeigen" for Berlin, but only find prices between 400 - 500,- Euros.
Its a nice list. Would be nice to buy canon 50D for 250,- Euros. But where?

Walter Schulz

Imo Ebay.de for used photo equipment often is some kind of a bad joke. Overpriced by far. Even saw used items sold for higher than lowest shop prices (while in stock) more than once.
Go photog forums instead and ask for used equipment.