700d at 1920x1080?

Started by Dam0, February 05, 2016, 07:18:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dam0

Getting to grips with ml and raw video on my 700d.

Just got hold of a high speed card so I can record at higher resolution, I was hoping for 1920 but the menu will not let me select it. "1920 is not possible in current video mode (max 1728)

What about the video mode do I need to set to enable 1920? I've tried various changes in the canon menus and ml menus (aspect ratio, fps) to no avail.

I read about enabling movie crop mode, this also made no difference.

Does this just boil down the camera not supporting the resolution (1280 works fine) or is there a setting I'm missing here?

Many thanks

Walter Schulz

You should have asked before purchasing ...
700D's card interface is limited to about 41 MByte/s = 720p24 (or slightly higher) continuous recording in RAW/MLV mode. 1080p24 continuosly is absolutely out of range. Short clips are possible.

Use crop mode to get higher resolution options. Either use menu option or go movie mode and press magnify (5x).

Dam0

Thanks for the quick reply.

I'm only learning, 720p/24 will be fine for me for now (my previous card wouldn't do 720p so I've still made a good purchase). I just wanted me make sure I wasn't missing anything.

Walter Schulz

Check if your card has ExFAT file system. Would not work that well with FAT32.

dfort

The setting for 1920x1080 is called a 5D mark III.

Ok--just kidding but that's the only camera that can pull it off. I just got a 700D myself and like the other APS-C cameras in that class it is limited to 1728x1158 in mv1080 mode (not cropped) and 1792x1032 in mv1080crop and zoom modes (cropped). Don't get too excited though, it can only record about 3 seconds at best at that resolution. The image size limited by the way the camera uses the sensor. When shooting 1920x1080 H.264 the camera is actually (probably) shooting 1728x1158 and scaling the image as it processes through the H.264 codec. Probably because only Canon engineers know for sure what's going on in there. Your most practical frame size for shooting raw as you found out is 1280x720 24fps. Some users prefer to shoot "widescreen" to get more horizontal resolution. In any case, another limit is the speed that the camera can write to the card. There's lots of resources on the Magic Lantern site to help with figuring all that out but basically stick with the fast cards for a better experience.

Oh, and you'll find out that the 700D shows focus pixels when shooting raw video. Lots of ways to deal with that too.

http://magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=16054.0