Canon EOS M

Started by jordancolburn, December 30, 2013, 10:21:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dfort

Is it working without ML? Just pull out the card and see if it is working properly. Maybe your ML settings are corrupted? Delete the ML/SETTINGS folder from your SD card and try it again. I've had situations where my Canon settings were the problem, you can try resetting those too.

oenopion

Quote from: dfort on October 23, 2017, 11:30:58 PM
Is it working without ML? Just pull out the card and see if it is working properly. Maybe your ML settings are corrupted? Delete the ML/SETTINGS folder from your SD card and try it again. I've had situations where my Canon settings were the problem, you can try resetting those too.
Yes, even without a card my scroll wheel and the buttons on it are unresponsive. Clearing settings didn't do anything. Maybe I'll try updating the firmware to 2.03? Can I use ML with that version of firmware?

Licaon_Kter

Quote from: oenopion on October 25, 2017, 12:52:55 AM
Yes, even without a card my scroll wheel and the buttons on it are unresponsive. Clearing settings didn't do anything. Maybe I'll try updating the firmware to 2.03? Can I use ML with that version of firmware?
There is an experimental 2.0.3 version, but it's better to stay on 2.0.2.

Say that resetting CANON settings did not help?

dfort

Sounds more like a hardware issue.

oenopion

Quote from: Licaon_Kter on October 25, 2017, 10:59:58 AM
There is an experimental 2.0.3 version, but it's better to stay on 2.0.2.

Say that resetting CANON settings did not help?
Yes, resetting did not fix the problem. That's why I asked about the 2.0.3 upgrade. Can I upgrade, but revert to 2.0.2 if the upgrade fixes the problem? Of course, it could be a hardware issue?

oenopion

Quote from: dfort on October 25, 2017, 04:49:41 PM
Sounds more like a hardware issue.
I was just typing that thought as you posted.
Is there any way to check (diagnostic)? Or is that repair shop territory?

Walter Schulz

I suggest to wait for a1ex's opinion on that before going to upgrade/downgrade firmware.
Do you have backups of ROM0.BIN and ROM1.BIN?

a1ex

It's possible to build some diagnostic code (based on some old Linux experiments), but it takes a while, and I won't get a contiguous chunk of time to experiment with it until weekend (and possibly not even then).

Upgrading the firmware is unlikely to help, but shouldn't hurt.

If you can compile ML, start from the dm-spy-experiments branch, comment out LOG_INTERRUPTS, and you may also have to leave just mpu_send / mpu_recv (as LiveView is very verbose). If you know how to start the camera without LiveView (maybe by starting directly in Canon menu, or in play mode), try that, as these modes are way less verbose. Then try the affected buttons in these modes, to see what events you get. Button codes are mpu_recv(06 05 06 ...).

Also related: anyone else who can compile is welcome to get some logs for troubleshooting the menu timeout issue.

oenopion

Thanks, a1ex. I haven't tried to compile, but will take a look later when I have time.
Since the problem still exists without an sd card in camera, is this pointing toward a hardware failure?
And if I do the firmware upgrade, can I revert to the firmware that is more stable with ML?

a1ex

That's the point of these diagnostic tools - to find out what's going on. In particular, the bootloader test will show the raw GUI events, not altered by a possibly misconfigured main firmware.

The dm-spy logs should also be pretty good in this case. There is a precompiled build here (the latest one has LOG_INTERRUPTS disabled, but it might still be too verbose - try to start the camera without entering LiveView; even a few LiveView frames will fill the buffer very quickly). That's why it's best if you can compile - you'll have to fiddle with the logging code to get useful info (here, you may want to silence LiveView messages, for example).

dfort

Quote from: a1ex on October 25, 2017, 06:20:08 PM
Upgrading the firmware is unlikely to help, but shouldn't hurt.

So how about doing a little upgrade on the EOSM? Posted a pull request to test out the latest Canon firmware on the bleeding edge crop_rec_4k branch.

https://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/pull-requests/879/crop-rec-4k-eosm203/diff

Test build available in my Bitbucket downloads page:

https://bitbucket.org/daniel_fort/magic-lantern/downloads/

Vinx

Hello, i am new so maybe mine is a stupid question. I've installed latest ML firmware on my EOS M. Everything's gone fine, no shutter bug. The only thing is that while i am in the option view i see a red symbol flashing in the right low corner of the screen. Can't understand what is it.
Hope you can help me.

Thank you

EOSM-user_1

Hi Garry,
thanks for offering the lua scripts - can you tell me the compatible lenses for the FB? Tried with Canon EOS 70-300 IS USM - FB does not show up although the script is loaded. Is FB compatible with a regular prime 50mm F/1.8 STM ?

Cheers.

Quote from: garry23 on August 19, 2017, 02:47:56 PM
Russ

I haven't used rack focus on the EOSM, you will need to test this.

I do know that ML has difficulty driving native EOSM m lenses, i.e. it will drive EOS lenses via an adapter.

I have two Lua scripts running on my EOSM.

One is called the toggler, and it allows you to toggle between various ML states. That is you don't need to go into the ML menu.

The other is my focus bar, which gives you three killer features.

First, you are visually presented with the focus field between the near and far depth of fields.

Second, you can achieve an optimum focus when doing landscape work, which is a focus point between the HFD and infinity. The focus bar also gives you info on the defocus and diffraction blurs, so you can make focus decisions.

Thirdly, the focus bar allows you to focus bracket.

You can download and read about my scripts at photography.grayheron.net

Cheers

Garry

Walter Schulz

Quote from: EOSM-user_1 on November 21, 2017, 04:57:18 AM
thanks for offering the lua scripts - can you tell me the compatible lenses for the FB? Tried with Canon EOS 70-300 IS USM - FB does not show up although the script is loaded.

Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM is among the few lenses featuring "micro-USM". Most micro-USM lenses lack of FTM and focus distance encoder. This lens is not suited for FB script.

hikari

Good day, Guys,

I have an M6, and it amazes me that Canon crippled Live Shooting and being able to use as a webcam.

My question is can Magic Lantern enable live shooting and Webcam for the Canon M6.

In the past, I had a Rebel, Which I hong from the ceiling and would connect to my computer via USB and EOS utility.
I would manage my shots with Live view and was able to stream it as well using Wirecast.

My goal and hopes is that Magic Lantern can get me back to is on the M6

Thank you.

Walter Schulz

Top of page -> Downloads -> Download Nightly Build -> Scroll down to "Your camera is not listed?"
If M6 follows Canon's M lineup (M2 successors) it is hosting PowerShot code and you will not get ML ported. Jump to CHDK instead.

MrFurious70

Hi I'm new to Magic Lantern and so far finding it a pretty awesome hack and most of what I need seems to run perfectly. If I might add a suggestion/request...

I noticed there is the UpsideDown mode, which rotates the display 180 degrees. I was wondering if it wouldn't be difficult to also ad the option to flip the display vertically, so users of fixed LCD cameras such as the eosM could rig up a mirror to the bottom of the LCD for 'top down' shooting?

Similar to this...

Walter Schulz

650D has this feature and EOS M should do, too:
Display tab -> Advanced Settings
- UpsideDown mode ON
- Orientation Mirror

EDIT: Sorry, just checked https://builds.magiclantern.fm/features.html and EOS M does not support Image Orientation.

garry23

I just hope it does one day  ;)

I suggested this a while ago.

It really is needed.

MrFurious70

Looking at the ML User Guide, it seems the feature required for this to work is "Display: Normal/Reverse/Mirror", under Display-->Advanced Settings.

Does this mean that the 'Display: Normal/Reverse/Mirror' could possibly be added to the eosM, or that this is not possible because the eosM is not a  flip-out LCD camera?

a1ex

These 3 functions are only present in Canon firmware on models with flip-out LCD. The feature is likely implemented in hardware, so the low-level interface might be present in other models as well.

If you run these functions in QEMU (-d debugmsg to log Canon's debug messages; change this option from ML menu and write down what their code does), you'll get this (700D):

[ GuiMainTask:ff4d5698 ] (04:03) -->Mirror start
[  DisplayMgr:ff129644 ] (82:03) TFT Command start
[  DisplayMgr:ff127de0 ] (82:01) SIO [0]:0x36
[  DisplayMgr:ff127de0 ] (82:01) SIO [1]:0x140
[  DisplayMgr:ff129684 ] (82:03) TFT Command end
[ GuiMainTask:00088c10 ] (04:03) Mirror finish

[ GuiMainTask:ff4d56f8 ] (04:03) -->Normal start
[  DisplayMgr:ff127de0 ] (82:01) SIO [1]:0x100

[ GuiMainTask:ff4d56c8 ] (04:03) -->Reverse start
[  DisplayMgr:ff127de0 ] (82:01) SIO [1]:0x1c0

so it's likely to be on the TFT controller, in SIO [1]. On D4 models, this looks similar, but with 4 SIO numbers and different values. 70D uses yet another set of values.

Can the same SIO communication be replayed on other models? I've tested this on 5D3 1.1.3, unsuccessfully (the display turns off; you can check the debug messages in QEMU or with dm-spy-experiments):

static void run_test()
{
    msleep(3000);

#ifdef CONFIG_5D3_113
    void (*lcd_sio_init)() = (void *) 0xFF12D284;
    void (*lcd_sio_write)(uint32_t * data, int size) = (void *) 0xFF12D1E0;
    void (*lcd_sio_finish)(void * sio_obj) = (void *) 0xFF13BDC8;
    void ** p_lcd_sio_obj = (void **) 0x246F0;
    #endif

printf("LCD sio start\n");
    lcd_sio_init();
    lcd_sio_write((uint32_t[]) { 0x36, 0x140 }, 2);
    lcd_sio_finish(*p_lcd_sio_obj);
    printf("LCD sio finish\n");
}

My advice would be:
1) try the above code (update the stubs first!) on 700D or 650D (not other models) and make sure it mirrors the display (there may be more things to patch, no idea)
2) after 1) is working, try on EOS M (extremely unlikely to work on other models)

edit: after comparing the TFT SIO initialization sequences, 650D and 700D are identical, while 5D3 and EOSM are quite different, so the chances of this working are next to none. Still, I'm curious whether the above code works on 650D/700D (even if this knowledge has no practical value right now, it might have later).

BTW - it is possible to implement the image orientation in software, using the display filter interface. Disadvantages: low frame rate; will not work with other display filters (raw video preview, anamorphic/fisheye correction etc).

Walter Schulz

Would like to test on 650D but I have no idea which stubs have to be updated.

a1ex

All of them.

650D 104: FF127E88, FF127D88, FF13B868, 23C48.
700D 115: FF128A28, FF128928, FF13C420, 23C58.

update: the TFT controller on 5D3 can definitely do mirroring and flipping. Just opened a reverse engineering thread for this.

dfort

Works on 700D, found stubs for EOSM with the exception of p_lcd_sio_obj: [EDIT] missing stub found

EOSM 202: FF12909C, FF128F9C, FF13B454, 3E690.

More on the FT SIO communication topic.