Canon EOS M

Started by jordancolburn, December 30, 2013, 10:21:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bobbyem

Hi there!

I am wondering how to format/remove ML from my Eos-M? The problem is that when I go to the format-tab like Ive normaly done on my 60D, I canĀ“t select the "remove Magic Lantern" option. It says "Tap the screen" but when I do, nothing happens... Since I want to be able to use this fast SD-card in my 60D tomorrow for a shoot, I want to be able to get rid of the Eos-M-ML without screwing up that camera.

Does anyone know how to fix this?

Many thanks for any reply!
/Bobby

walter_schulz

If you used the format option on your 60D to wipe ML from the cam you wiped the card instead. Cam's bootflag is still set. You have to run install again to reset it.
Read first post of this thread.

bobbyem

Okay, I did not know that. But the problem is still that I need to uninstall it from my Eos-m first, if I try to do the update-way of uninstalling it says "Memory card containing firmware is required...".

Thanks alot for the reply!

walter_schulz

Read first post. And follow instructions.

mike9009

I have had ML installed for some time and now want to remove ML.  I have followed the instructions given in the first post...

Uninstallation:
1) Run Firmware Update from your ML card.
2) Follow the instructions.

There seems to be no 'instructions' to remove ML after running the firmware update.....

Thanks in advance!

Mike

Edit - Found how to do it!!  At the bottom of the screen you need to wait for 30 seconds to remove the boot flag.  Obvious really but the initial post could say this to clarify the uninstall process.  If you simply reboot without waiting the 30 seconds, ML is not removed.  (And yes I was being slow but finally caught up!!)

Walter Schulz

Just read the screen messages ...

mike9009

All it says is.....

'Please restart your camera'

which I do (switch Off and then back On) - and then the camera still has ML firmware!  Sorry, but I must be really slow tonight, as I cannot see a way to remove the ML firmware.

Mike

Walter Schulz

Wait for 31 seconds after this message appears.

slvrscoobie

Guys!
Possible break through on the shutter bug.
Try renaming your SD Card volume to EOS_Develop.
For whatever reason, I can make both of my Ms exhibit and then cure the shutter bug with this trick. It must be related to how the camera starts up and looks for the card.
I name it that, it works, name it something else, it stops working. format and rename, it works again!

DeafEyeJedi

You sure about that @slvrscoobie?
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

a1ex

Quote from: slvrscoobie on January 22, 2015, 11:23:43 PM
Try renaming your SD Card volume to EOS_Develop.

This makes sense (I also believe it's something from the bootloader). If you experience the shutter bug, please try and report.

@slvrscoobie: does it matter if you write the label as upper-case?

Janke

No cigar.

I renamed my ML card to EOS_Develop - shutter is still buggedly locked, will operate only after lens twist trick.

This happened with the 18-55, and also the new 55-200 mm lens.

It ALSO happens with the 11-22 if it is in the shooting position when you power on the camera, but NOT if you power on with the lens collapsed.

However, then the message "Set lens to shooting position" does NOT appear! This always appears with a collapsed 11-22 lens with a non-ML card.

The 22 pancake lens does not cause the shutter bug, only the 3 other lenses.

Yes, I've got all four lenses, being an EOS-M fan (or freak?)

Hope the above helps diagnosing...

philmoz

Changing the card name makes no difference on mine - at the moment mine works correctly with all lenses.
I'm trying to make the problem happen rather than fix it, so I can try and diagnose the cause.

The problem stopped on my camera after a low level format of the SD card in the camera, and has not returned since.

Phil.

Janke

I tried that and - wow! Indeed, no shutter bug anymore.

Very strange, though: Letting the camera do a low-level format did NOT remove the autoexec or the ML files, but did indeed zero the DCIM and MISC folder, and removed a folder named "old FIR". The card was also renamed to EOS_DIGITAL by the camera.

So, this looks promising. Anyone else care to try? Will your autoexec and ML folder be left intact after the low-level format?

walter_schulz

With format setting "keep ML" ML will just do that.

Janke

Ha! Yes - it's *supposed* to leave the ML on the card... my bad!  ;D

BUT: Loading the latest nightly build, the bug is back! New low-level format, shutter bug gone !

So, everytime you load a new nightly, do a low level format (and lose the photos on the card...) ?

walter_schulz

You lose the photos if you format the card in both modes ...
What about copying them to your computer first?

"Loading" means: Fresh install or "extract nightly contents and copy contents to card"?

Janke

"What about copying them to your computer first?"

That goes without saying...  :P

Seriously, does the fact that the "Set lens to shooting position" is missing on power-on give any clue to the problem?

"Loading" means: Fresh install or "extract nightly contents and copy contents to card"?

In my case, it was the latter. I did remove and trash the old before copying the new.

But, if this means the problem is solved, i.e. do a low-level after a nightly, then all is rosy for the future... :P

Janke

Sorry if this has been asked before, a quick search of the forum didn't help:

Can you use the ML intervalometer for taking pictures with an open shutter, i.e. not mechanically straining the camera taking hundreds, even thousands of photos?

Janke

Thank you!

Looks like it is not possible to take full-res stills without shutter clicks :

"To make a timelapse without increasing shutter count, do not use the intervalometer; instead, set FPS override to a very low value (for example, 3fps) and start recording.
When using the intervalometer in LiveView with noisy mode, your shutter will wear twice as fast than outside LiveView."

I have now bookmarked the manual, which I could not find by searching for "EOS-M manual"

walter_schulz

Why should ML team create an EOS M manual? ML team codes ML and a User Guide (the upmost line may contain a hint about that one).
If you go to
Top of page -> Downloads -> Browse Nightly Builds -> Features
you get a list with links to forum threads and User Guide sections.

And FRSP is still in development.

Janke

I used those search terms here, because I thought they were relevant to the EOS-M model and ML... ;)

But, I found what I needed, i.e. the ML User Guide, and am happy with having found it.

Testing the low fps rates, I can get down to about one frame in every 5 seconds, but no longer interval. So, shutter clicks will increase...

But, all in all, any EOS (be it either my 550D or the two EOS-M) gets a fantastic boost by ML - so thanks to all involved!

PS: I have adapted a Canon 7.5 - 97.5 mm f:1,4 TV zoom lens to my EOS-M - works well with the 3x video crop. Wow! ;)

DeafEyeJedi

I second that regarding FRSP is still being in development.

Be patience guys!

[emoji106]

DeafEyeJedi

Quote from: Janke on January 26, 2015, 02:23:15 PM
PS: I have adapted a Canon 7.5 - 97.5 mm f:1,4 TV zoom lens to my EOS-M - works well with the 3x video crop. Wow! ;)

Sounds marvelous... Any chance you could show us a footage to see what that particular 3x crop looks like? [emoji2]