Canon EOS M

Started by jordancolburn, December 30, 2013, 10:21:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pokepe

Quote from: Pharinen on December 21, 2016, 10:22:46 AM
(I don't know if this is any new info to you guys but I found it quite interesting.)

I found out that JPEG buffer is almost unlimited* when shooting stills in video mode. Raw buffer depth is the same.

I know there is a crop(either 4:3 or 16:9) and file size is slightly smaller(around 5-10%) but it still doesn't explain to me why I can only get 3 JPEG in a row(without slowdown) in photo mode. Even with the lowest quality JPEGs! Maybe there is some logical reason and I'm just being dumb. Don't be harsh on me. xD

I don't know if this is any useful info for the development but I thought I would share this. :)

E: *I tested this a bit more. It is not quite unlimited as I first though but it's still much better than in photo mode. Buffer depth seems best in 4:3 video mode. I can get around 75 shots(shooting large jpegs) in a row without slowdown after formatting and reboot. After that I can get roughly 25 shot bursts. In 16:9 mode it seems to be slightly worse weirdly(bigger crop). I only have 40 MB/s card though, maybe it is better with faster card.
E2: Shooting medium or small size jpegs buffer seems almost unlimited. Got over 150 shots and I stopped myself. Didn't want to ruin my shutter any more. :D

Because in movie mode, the lens aberration only correct the peripheral illumination, chromatic does not.
Correct peripheral illumination seem doesn't affect process speed, so leave it always enable.(EF-M 22mm has strong light fall-off)
In photo mode, disable chromatic aberration in Lens aberration correction will help, set L-size and low quality jpeg give me unlimited buffer.(with fast sd card like sandisk extreme pro)

Set higher ISO and NR also affect process speed.

dfort

Quote from: branex on December 21, 2016, 06:38:55 AM
Full manual control of the servo.

In that case, no.

https://builds.magiclantern.fm/features.html

However, there is a work in progress that might change that if someone can follow a1ex's instructions better than I:

https://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/pull-requests/748/focus-backend-updates-precise-focus/diff

Just out of curiosity, how do you plan to follow focus manually on a gimbal without some sort of a remote control? Seems like the EOSM AF controls would work better for that kind of work. A light touch on the LCD is all that's needed to change the focus area, that's even better than on the C100.

branex

Eosm not expensive. I would have just soldered the contacts in it. And would be brought to the place of management. (Did it with a 550d and 5d2). There would be the possibility to smoothly adjust the area of focus. Besides camera size and weight allow you for brachial rig to make a great stabilizer. Most importantly the ability to shoot in Raw on interlaced enlargement up to 1700*600(35 MB/sec). And the comb can be removed by using an anamorphic lens(it would increase the amount of information in the horizon, and it is not necessary to approximate ~of 1.66 x in the vertical(let me use the 1.33x Slr magic or equivalents). The output is a high dynamic range, color and high resolution(with good quantization and detail, with smart stretch to 4k).

DeafEyeJedi

Quote from: dfort on December 21, 2016, 07:03:49 PM
... Seems like the EOSM AF controls would work better for that kind of work. A light touch on the LCD is all that's needed to change the focus area, that's even better than on the C100.

Agreed -- In fact that's exactly what I'm aiming for (or at least trying) to make the EOSM this little toy that can bode well with the Ronin-MX espcially while in AF for certain situations!
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

Pharinen

Quote from: pokepe on December 21, 2016, 05:30:49 PM
Because in movie mode, the lens aberration only correct the peripheral illumination, chromatic does not.
Correct peripheral illumination seem doesn't affect process speed, so leave it always enable.(EF-M 22mm has strong light fall-off)
In photo mode, disable chromatic aberration in Lens aberration correction will help, set L-size and low quality jpeg give me unlimited buffer.(with fast sd card like sandisk extreme pro)

Set higher ISO and NR also affect process speed.
Oh I see... I knew I didn't think of something. I bet they even mention about that in Canon's manual.  :-[

dfort

Licaon_Kter

Any reason to upgrade to 2.0.3? Saw that only 1 lens compatibility was added.

garry23

I hope someone can help.

I haven't used my EOSM for a while, but thought I would try my Auto bracketing script.

I am using a Sigma 10-20mm AF lens on the Canon lens mount.

I'm using the latest EOSM nightly.

My script loads OK but when it should be driving the lens, the on/off light rapidly flashes, but with no lens move.

The script works ok on my 5D3.

I thought someone one told me that the EOSM should drive a normal, ie non-EOSM, lens, ie via the Canon mount.

Any feedback welcome.

Cheers

Garry

dfort

@garry23 - You might need one of the lua fix versions that hasn't made it into the nightly builds yet. The EOSM wildlife trap build that is in my download page might work for you. If not I can try to see if there are newer lua fixes. Oh and yes, I got the lua test script on the EOSM to drive EF lenses via the Canon adapter but it doesn't seem to work with EF-M lenses.

Quote from: Licaon_Kter on January 02, 2017, 06:31:31 PM
Any reason to upgrade to 2.0.3? Saw that only 1 lens compatibility was added.

Is there any reason to climb a mountain other that because it is there? I think it was cool that someone jumped in and made a firmware update port as a first project. Maybe solving the shutter-bug and getting mv1080 raw video mode working on the EOSM will be next? Maybe I'm just dreaming?

garry23

@dfort

Many thanks for the wildlife version. This version drives the lens OK :), but my script that works OK on the 5D3 does erratic movements now. I need to look at the script and understand why.

I'll report progress.

Cheers

Garry

garry23

@dfort

I tried your EOSM build on this simple test script, which only move the lens one way until a condition is meet.

All it does is flash the on/off light, ie no lens move.

Any ideas  ;)

function event.keypress(key)
local lens_ok = false
    if key == KEY.INFO then
        repeat
lens_ok = lens.focus(-1,1,false)
until lens.dof_far > 100000
return false -- steal key for testing
    end
end

garry23

@dfort

Even tried this 'improved' test script, as I thought placing the move in the keypress event handler might cause an issue. But still no luc.

move_flag = false

function test4key(key)
    if key == KEY.INFO then
     move_flag = true
    return false -- steal key for testing
    else
        return true
    end
end

function move(arg)
local lens_ok = false
    if move_flag == true then
        repeat
            lens_ok = lens.focus(-1,1,false)
        until lens.dof_far > 100000
        move_flag = false
    end
end
event.keypress = test4key
event.shoot_task = move

Licaon_Kter

Quote from: dfort on January 03, 2017, 04:31:13 AM
Is there any reason to climb a mountain other that because it is there?
Oh, c'mon, really? :) :) :)  ::) :D

garry23

OK I admit I'm stupid, have a lot going on in my life, and am still learning.

So please put me out of my misery  ;)

dfort

Quote from: garry23 on January 03, 2017, 01:04:44 PM
OK I admit I'm stupid, have a lot going on in my life, and am still learning.

My feelings exactly. If your script works on the 5D3 it should work on the EOSM. Do you want to try it on a test build of the non-cpu manual lens lua branch?

Quote from: Licaon_Kter on January 03, 2017, 12:42:13 PM
Oh, c'mon, really? :) :) :)  ::) :D

Just saying that doing the firmware update just because it is a challenge and sharing it with the community is in the spirit of a hobby project like this.

Licaon_Kter

Quote from: dfort on January 03, 2017, 06:30:29 PM
Just saying that doing the firmware update just because it is a challenge and sharing it with the community is in the spirit of a hobby project like this.
I agree, although you did not answer my question, or was the joke actually the answer, like nothing more? :)

garry23

@dfort

I may do,  however, I'm tempted to 'just' keep the EOSM for shutter and shutterless timelapse, and do the heavy lifting, i.e. all my scripts, on the 5D3 and IR-50D.

I must say I find the EOSM very fiddly to use.

Cheers

Garry

dfort

Quote from: Licaon_Kter on January 03, 2017, 06:35:43 PM
...was the joke actually the answer...

Pretty much. That firmware update was done for several cameras but it doesn't give most users a good reason to install it.

QuoteCorrects a phenomenon in which when using the camera with the EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM or EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS II USM lens, even if lens aberration correction is set to "Enable", correction will not be applied.

Though this is an opportunity for users who want to get some porting practice by taking on a relatively simple firmware update to begin with.

BTW--one of the first things I tested was the shutter-bug and it is still there. Rats!

@garry23 -- I encountered issues building the manual_lens_info branch. Several modules are not compiling. Need to look into it further before I can get you a test build.

[EDIT] Oh yeah--the problem is documented so it looks like that branch is currently broken.

http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=18083.msg176957#msg176957

Licaon_Kter

Quote from: dfort on January 03, 2017, 08:14:16 PM
Pretty much. That firmware update was done for several cameras but it doesn't give most users a good reason to install it.
BTW--one of the first things I tested was the shutter-bug and it is still there. Rats!
I love updates don't get me wrong, but given the age of the camera (launched in 2012) and the poor support Canon gave it, I'm rather uneasy to flash away.
Too bad about the shutter-bug :(

That being said, is the downgrade procedure straight away (eg. I update to 2.0.3 and I don't like something, I just put 2.0.2 on the card and "update" ) ?

DeafEyeJedi

Quote from: Licaon_Kter on January 03, 2017, 09:38:58 PM
...That being said, is the downgrade procedure straight away (eg. I update to 2.0.3 and I don't like something, I just put 2.0.2 on the card and "update" ) ?

That should do the trick as it currently does with others afaik inlcluding 5D3, 7D, etc...
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

Walter Schulz

5D3 with firmware 1.3.3/1.3.4 does *not* allow in-cam downgrade to 1.1.3 or 1.2.3 ....

dfort

Either Walter is going off topic again or maybe he found a way to change an EOSM to a 5D3 with just a firmware upgrade.

I went through the 2.0.2 -> 2.0.3 -> 2.0.2 drill and there were no problems. Just make sure your battery has enough juice before you start.

[EDIT] That tip is for users who haven't done Canon firmware updates. Of course @Licaon_Kter knows about charging batteries--he's gone through many charge cycles getting the EOSM to this stage in ML development.

Licaon_Kter

Quote from: dfort on January 04, 2017, 01:25:29 AM
Of course @Licaon_Kter knows about charging batteries--he's gone through many charge cycles getting the EOSM to this stage in ML development.
Battery at 100% no matter what!!!
Test some things? Charge to 100%!
Come back after shooting outside? Charge to 100%!

The thing is, this camera has 3 stages: full-white (100% I hope?! when did I charge the battery exactly?), half-yellow (at 50%, right? 50% or 30%? please tell me!?!?) and empty-red (yeah, hey it turned on, let me try anot- oh fffs)

alias

hi
how i can update ml on may cam

Walter Schulz

Backup and delete *.FIR, autoexec.bin, ML directory. Copy nightly build content to card.