Tragic Lantern for EOS M

Started by coutts, April 17, 2013, 01:43:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Escaperoute

On 650D there is an option call Eyefi fix, it is very useful for eyefi card, since it rename the cr2 file to avi file, so i can transfer all the raw file with eyefi card wireless. Please Devs can i request this feature for future build since i can only afford Eyefi mobi cards, it can't transfer raw file wireless. It will really help my mobile photo editing.

1%

I can add eyefi tricks but no clue if they work... they work on 650D no issues?

Wat is this!

DlgLiveView.c PROP_RETRACTABLE_LENS_STATUS(0)
copyDataToStorage eventID(0x80030074)Data(0)size(0)
PROP_RETRACTABLE_LENS_STATUS (0)

Someone check this please with shutter bug and without shutter bug.

haomuch

Quote from: 1% on October 12, 2013, 07:11:31 PM
I can add eyefi tricks but no clue if they work... they work on 650D no issues?

Wat is this!

Someone check this please with shutter bug and without shutter bug.

How to check? And what about the eysfi card support?

Beside, the latest build still didn't improve the live view auto room function. And I found that the live view will be triggered to auto room even by LCD touch shutter, which shouldn't involve half shutter process. Can we figure out a work around for it?

1%

Half shutter is the same key for touch shutter so its going to be triggered. The MZ I have to figure out.. I have the same issue on 7D and anything else with no zoom button while recording.

For the property you just set it up in the prop browser and see what value there is.

yno0o_15

Quote from: gary2013 on October 12, 2013, 05:23:16 PM
welcome to the forum. first go to the Canon website and get the version 2.0.2 firmware and upgrade your M camera.
http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/cameras/slr_cameras/eos_m_ef_m_22mm_stm_kit?selectedName=DriversAndSoftware

there are bugs. that's why we are all here trying to help the devs fix things.  :)
Gary

thank you sir for the quick reply., ^_^

gary2013

Quote from: yno0o_15 on October 13, 2013, 01:39:01 PM
thank you sir for the quick reply., ^_^
you are welcome. did you find how to install the ML? you can get the latest builds from  http://tl.bot-fly.com/   make sure you download the EOS M version only.

Gary

jerrykil

Quote from: 1% on October 12, 2013, 09:06:08 PM
For the property you just set it up in the prop browser and see what value there is.
I didn't see a change after reattaching the lens or when the shutter bug was missing from the time i booted. i also couldn't change prop.k past 80 dec, so i put this in my config to get it to 80030074.
prop.k = 116
prop.j = 3
prop.i = 128

1%

It was worth a shot as 6D et all don't seem to have this prop.

maxotics

I tried to shoot a bunch of photos at a friend's Bar Mitvah.  Not only did I experience the shutter-bug, but the whole operation of the camera seemed very slow and buggy (after the lens twist).  I put the camera in P mode and the screen would look for the proper exposure very slowly; that is, the screen would go dark to lighter slowly.  After a few photos the screen would also get corrupted, unreadable, so that I had to hit the play button just to get a normal screen again. 

The cameras were so unusable, in photo mode, that I took ML off them both before the reception.   I apologize to anyone I suggested this was a minimal problem ;)

1%

Something is rotten with this shutter bug. Its only not a big deal if you don't have the 2? lenses it affects. If you don't everything is normal. The screen corruption also seems to suggest its memory related.

maxotics

1% I believe I had problems with the 22mm too.  I love the video when I have the Sigma 10-20mm EF attached.  The image stabilization on the 18-55 is fantastic (but is long in crop mode).  Anyway, assume would be the same for the 11-22mm.  That lens is now $400 on Henry's in Canada.   If the "shutter-bug" problem can be solved and those lenses start selling in the U.S., which is certain if Canon releases a new model of the EOS-M this month, then this camera should wake up a lot of people. 

I've been comparing near 1080p on my 50d with the 720p from the EOS-M.  Yes, it's sharper, but the high-dynamic range is the same.

Is there anyone else working on this problem beside you and Alex?  What are the prospects for it to get fixed do you think?  Is this one of the hardest problems you've seen, perhaps unsolvable, or is it just a matter of time?

1%

Matter of time.. remember that 600D problem mentioned that took a year... raw video took a year (from first poking at Mjpeg, etc), 6D wifi/ issue took like 3 months. I think everyone has poked at it but not an easy thing to solve.

I have no probs on the 22mm with no IS but the 11-22 is probably a different story. What I don't get is why this wasn't an issue on the earlier FW.. or it was and not enough people had EOSM to notice.

maxotics

Not enough people.  I didn't have the 18-55 until recently, and didn't shoot many photos.  Mostly it's been Malakai, Gary, Jerrykil, haomuch, funkysound, myself and a few others.  However, many have joined recently. 

I'm thinking of keeping 2 cards with each camera.  One, the latest build, and the other with the do-nothing autoexec.bin file.  That doesn't create a bug right? 

or maybe I should turn off auto-boot?  Should we create another thread "EOS M Alpha Photo Mode Only"  The thread gets confusing when we have both photo and video issues going at the same time.  Any thoughts anyone?

1%

Maybe one card not bootable with no ML for the 18-55 and one card with ML for shooting video and not with the 2 affected lenses.

It sucks too because its a neat little camera and its wide angles and constant LV are kinda nice for tricky shots.

jerrykil

hey max and 1%,
the do-nothing autoexec.bin also causes the problem. i haven't been able to get a bug with it, but malakai has.

I'd say that if you wanna have one non-ML and one ML card, then you should have no autoexec.bin present at all on one of the cards. the minimal build just boots the stock canon FW without any hint of ML tweakings but also has the bug associated. the other option is to turn off the boot flag with the installer .fir file. I think it would be quicker to pop in a non-ML flash than dig through the menus and re-install FW, switch the flag, and reboot the camera.

As for the shutterbug on FW106, I do recall having problems back then. I had just gotten my camera and i didn't think much of it because it was very early alpha at that time. I think once i started reading the forum it became apparent that it was more widespread, esp for users who didn't have the 22mm.

jerrykil

Quote from: 1% on October 13, 2013, 10:14:55 PM
Maybe one card not bootable with no ML for the 18-55 and one card with ML for shooting video and not with the 2 affected lenses.

It sucks too because its a neat little camera and its wide angles and constant LV are kinda nice for tricky shots.

ML kinda makes the camera for me. i would have bought another if this project wasn't around...shutter-bug and all, i don't really mind. tweaker at heart :P

1%

Def ML + non shutterbug lens > non ML + shutter bug lens.. booting without canon firmware the camera is pretty bare bones.

gary2013

Quote from: maxotics on October 13, 2013, 10:07:19 PM
I'm thinking of keeping 2 cards with each camera.  One, the latest build, and the other with the do-nothing autoexec.bin file.  That doesn't create a bug right? 
/quote]

I get the bug with minimal autoexec

gary

maxotics

Thanks Gary.  I think we should have best practices for ourselves and new people so they'll use/continue to use the camera while the bug is figured out?

jerrykil

1% kinda nailed it right here:
Quote from: 1% on October 13, 2013, 10:14:55 PM
a card for shooting video and using 22mm (if you are like me and still having good luck with it), and then another card for still with no autoexec.bin

gary2013

Quote from: jerrykil on October 14, 2013, 12:59:58 AM
1% kinda nailed it right here:a card for shooting video and using 22mm (if you are like me and still having good luck with it), and then another card for still with no autoexec.bin
or, just use the camera with any lens and the bug for video, like I do. If I need pictures, I do a fast power cycle until hopefully the bug gets fixed.

Gary

gary2013

I am using Oct 12th ver and I have the shutter bug. I replaced the autoexec with the minimal autoexec and the shutter bug was still there. I deleted the ML folder and the fir file and rebooted. the bug was still there. i did a Canon format and did not tap the scree to leave the ML files on disk. I rebooted and the bug was gone. I copy pasted Oct 12th ver files and the bug is gone. BUT, there are no modules loaded. I held off loading any modules to get some feedback on this. I would bet that if IU load some modules, the bug will come back. What do you think? which module(s) do you think have the bug? Because I don't have the bug right now with Oct 12th ver loaded (minus the modules).

Gary

jerrykil

Quote from: gary2013 on October 14, 2013, 03:26:42 AM
I am using Oct 12th ver and I have the shutter bug. I replaced the autoexec with the minimal autoexec and the shutter bug was still there. I deleted the ML folder and the fir file and rebooted. the bug was still there. i did a Canon format and did not tap the scree to leave the ML files on disk. I rebooted and the bug was gone. I copy pasted Oct 12th ver files and the bug is gone. BUT, there are no modules loaded. I held off loading any modules to get some feedback on this. I would bet that if IU load some modules, the bug will come back. What do you think? which module(s) do you think have the bug? Because I don't have the bug right now with Oct 12th ver loaded (minus the modules).

Gary

I think the current hypothesis is that it has nothing to do with the ML code but more to do with the boot method. I"ve pulled my hair out loading unloading and i try all the different builds, but it makes no difference. just reboot a couple times and you'll get it again

gary2013

Quote from: jerrykil on October 14, 2013, 03:45:38 AM
I think the current hypothesis is that it has nothing to do with the ML code but more to do with the boot method. I"ve pulled my hair out loading unloading and i try all the different builds, but it makes no difference. just reboot a couple times and you'll get it again
I said exactly what happened. I made sure before I posted by trying a dozen times of rebooting and I still have no bug with all the modules sitting there not loaded yet. I think I have rebooted more than enough to make my point. This is something new for me after all the times I have explored this issue.

Gary

maxotics

I'll try that Gary.

Okay, put latest 12th build on.  Camera must have already had boot flag still on (thought I disabled), booted straight to ML.  Shooting seemed fine.  Put it in P mode like Bar Mitzvah.  Put flash on.  Took a few shots.  Everything fine.

Loaded raw_rec.  took photos, re-cycle camera.

Took photos, everything fine.

Changed frame rate only to 24.  Camera seems sluggish focusing then.  Might be my imagination. 

Picked raw resolution, hacks on, etc.  Tried to take video, didnt' work.  Realized I was still in photo mode.  Change into movie mode.  Tried to take photo.  CAMERA COMPLETELY FROZE.

Restart camera in movie mode.  Camera will say "not shut down correctly, modules not loading".  Press on shutter, FREEZES CAMERA. 

Seems to me camera will freeze if you even HALF PRESS shutter button in movie mode if raw_rec is loaded.

HOWEVER, if I switch to MANUAL focus mode in movie, that half-press shutter doesn't freeze camera.   It seems there is something in the auto focus in video mode that does something naughty.