Tragic Lantern for EOS M

Started by coutts, April 17, 2013, 01:43:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gravitatemediagroup

Quote from: gamerblot on August 19, 2013, 10:00:33 AM
Did you get rid of the UpDaterM.fir and replace it with EOSM1202.FIR on your SD. You can't have both on your SD card.

BINGO!

gamerblot

Quote from: gary2013 on August 19, 2013, 11:46:01 AM
how do we get out of ML menus besides sitting here waiting for it to timeout?

I usually hit the Shutter button to get out of the ML menu.

What I find annoying is that the ML screen will timeout after maybe 5 seconds of inactivity when I am looking at something in the ML menu. Then I have to go back into the ML menu again and re-trace where I was. Is there a fix for that?
Canon 5D Mark II, 2 x Canon 60D, Canon 1Ds Mark II, Canon EOS M, Canon 16-35mm F2.8, Canon 17-40mm F4.0, Canon 24-70mm F2.8, Canon 24mm F1.4, Sigma 50mm F1.4, Canon 70-200mm F2.8 IS, Canon EF-M 18-55mm F3.5-F5.6, ACR 8.1, Photoshop CC, Premier Pro CC, After Effects CC, Mac OS X

vladojko

Hi all

This is my first post and i want to report that i still have shutter bug even with using latest .fir file. I guess we need new autoexec.bin to fix this

jonas18z

jamessandri

Hats off the team and 1%. No more flashing the firmware everytime I want to shoot raw. Here's something I shot in raw using a 60D and the EOS-M.

thegunshow101

Quote from: vprocessing on August 18, 2013, 05:39:34 PM
Hi to all !
First are you aware if a speed booster will be made for EOS M ?
http://www.canonwatch.com/is-metabones-working-on-a-speedbooster-for-eos-m/
Or lens turbo from China ?

I was just thinking about this possibility.. I'm glad I see a link to the video. It's surely a prototype for EOS-M.. I feel like when the next round of EOS-M cameras are released and the system becomes more developed Metabones will officially announce this, for sure.

Given the fact that you need to use an adapter for EF lenses anyway this makes so much sense and turns your EOS-M back into an (almost) full camera..+ one f stop brighter..

With RAW + a speedbooster, the EOS-M could be a little powerhouse for video..

mountain_drew

maxotics

I do a quick test, comparing video produced from Magic Lantern's maximum resolution on the EOS-M at 24 FPS, 1472 x 592 (continuous recording) with the 1728 x 684 resolution possible at 12 FPS.  I think there may also be a bug (or it's on purpose for scaling?) in RAWanizer.  It didn't create the TIFFs at the higher resolution.

I created the TIFFs manually using RAW2DNG, then RAWDrop to TIFF and ffmpeg to high quality MP4, I hope ;)

Anyway, as you can see, you do get better quality, and less moire, at the higher resolution, though lower frame rate.

gravitatemediagroup

wow, the new UI looks WAY better.

gravitatemediagroup

how can I keep ML from showing the flickering menu on the left side of the screen while shooting?

markr041

Quote from: maxotics on August 20, 2013, 05:23:51 AM
I do a quick test, comparing video produced from Magic Lantern's maximum resolution on the EOS-M at 24 FPS, 1472 x 592 (continuous recording) with the 1728 x 684 resolution possible at 12 FPS.  I think there may also be a bug (or it's on purpose for scaling?) in RAWanizer.  It didn't create the TIFFs at the higher resolution.

I created the TIFFs manually using RAW2DNG, then RAWDrop to TIFF and ffmpeg to high quality MP4, I hope ;)

Anyway, as you can see, you do get better quality, and less moire, at the higher resolution, though lower frame rate.

Your posts are useful, but I do not understand why you shoot at the resolutions you chose - they are not on the horizontal dimension HD. Why not shoot at 1280 x 720? When you process your clips they are less than HD.

Why are you not shooting in crop mode, which has far less aliasing and moire, at 720P? The camera will shoot for at least a couple of minutes in 720p in that mode (24fps) and it is real HD. You clips are seconds, so "continuous" capability seems irrelevant (as it is for most video shooting).

1%

I think the menu thing is universal, it times out when the canon dialog does.

Dave1711

Quote from: gravitatemediagroup on August 20, 2013, 05:46:14 AM
wow, the new UI looks WAY better.

Do you mean the EOS M UI as seen on the frontpage? http://www.magiclantern.fm/img/eosm.png
Is this included in the latest .fir file from 1% or where can we get it?

mixer2

@maxotics:
changing resolution afaik shouldn't have any impact on moire and other aliasing effects. as markr041 wrote changing to crop mode does dramatically reduce aliasing.

@1%:
again a dualiso question, even if it's not available :)
do you know which exact algorithm is used to calculate the hdr result from the 2 interlaced iso imageparts? is there any documentation, link to a paper or something like that?
i ask, because the af dots on eos m and 650d may cause some problems in that procedure and maybe they need some special treatment. maybe a modified algorithm that is aware of the dots could be included in the pinkdotremover. if there is some info about the algorithm i would check how it may be affected by the dots.

1%

Hit menu, that is the ML junkie mode... its a good candidate for touch support.

For dual ISO there is a whole thread on it and a PDF that describes the theory. The source is in the module's folder, it should have some notes there too. Dots might be a problem, but first need to make it work to see what kind of a problem.

maxotics

@markr041

I have a 50D which shoots amazing RAW video, was curious to see just how much resolution I could get from the EOS-M, if I wanted to match on that basis (though at a lower FPS).  I can imagine certain types of shots where this high resolution, at a lower FPS, might be useful.  I am also curious to try 16fps with sound later.  What do you think are the best settings, aspect and resolution, for both 24p and 16p?  Also, I meant "continuous" as in the camera won't lose frames or plain shut-down or worse, corrupt the card.

@Mixer2

Eventually, I'll get to crop mode.  For now I want to keep at 22mm.  As I get older I find long focal lengths more artificial.  Sorry to be annoying ;)  Please help me understand this moire and aliasing issue.  My understanding is that when a line, say, is resolved by a lens on the sensor it can fall between the pixels.  When the EOSM samples the sensor, it will skips lines which essentially creates geometric distortions.  I would think that the more resolution, the less moire because the image has more information to fill in (and not show a geometric distortion).  After all, the benefit of crop mode is that there is no (minimal?) line skipping and therefore less chance for a line not to resolve between pixels.  If it's true that more resolution will have no effect on moire than I may quit that higher resolution stuff because there's enough dynamic range in current resolutions.

@All

My silly tests have had one benefit which should hopefully provide better footage in the future.  Because I couldn't get the right-size TIFFs from RAWanizer, I was forced into a higher quality RAW workflow which I hope to use from now on, instead of straight to cineform.

RAW --> RAW2DNG --> RAWSpot (to TIFFS) then ffmpeg:

16fps:

ffmpeg -r 16 -i 000%3d.tiff -c:v libx264 -crf 10 -pix_fmt yuv420p out.mp4

24fps:

I then take the mp4 and put into Vegas Studio.  If you have better ffmpeg setting PLEASE let me know.

mixer2

@maxotics:
if you increase the resolution setting it just crops a larger part of the sensor. if you record 1728 x 684 and throw away 256 pixels from the left and right and 46 pixels from top and bottom, you'll get exactly the same image as you would have recorded 1472 x 592. and this obviously won't affect aliasing effects of the remaining pixels.
of course, if there is less crop, you can increase focal length or put the camera closer to the subject, which may help that the texture isn't fine enough to cause aliasing.

@1%:
i read the pdf and most of the thread. the method described in the pdf sounded really temporary. therefore i thought that it doesn't match the current implementation. i'll check the sourcecode.

maxotics

@mixer  THANKS for the explanation.  I now get what Markr40 was trying to get through my thick head :)

@All I can't get Movie Crop mode to turn on.  It stays disabled no matter what buttons/touches I do.  I have the 22mm pancake lens.  Any ideas?  thanks!

mixer2

sounds like you're not in movie mode. switch to movie mode and it should work.

maxotics

@mixer THANK FOR QUICK REPLY  That did trick!  Now should anyone search

On the EOS-M, To enable or select Movie Crop Mode in Magic Lantern you need to be in "Movie" mode (wheel around shutter button).  It will not select if you're in photo mode, it will appear gray or disabled.

markr041

Quote from: maxotics on August 20, 2013, 05:04:49 PM
@markr041

I have a 50D which shoots amazing RAW video, was curious to see just how much resolution I could get from the EOS-M, if I wanted to match on that basis (though at a lower FPS).  I can imagine certain types of shots where this high resolution, at a lower FPS, might be useful.  I am also curious to try 16fps with sound later.  What do you think are the best settings, aspect and resolution, for both 24p and 16p?  Also, I meant "continuous" as in the camera won't lose frames or plain shut-down or worse, corrupt the card.

@All

My silly tests have had one benefit which should hopefully provide better footage in the future.  Because I couldn't get the right-size TIFFs from RAWanizer, I was forced into a higher quality RAW workflow which I hope to use from now on, instead of straight to cineform.

RAW --> RAW2DNG --> RAWSpot (to TIFFS) then ffmpeg:

16fps:

24fps:

I then take the mp4 and put into Vegas Studio.  If you have better ffmpeg setting PLEASE let me know.

1. I don't understand how the final product has "higher resolution" when the vertical resolution is less than HD standards. What is the benefit of having higher horizontal resolution and lower vertical resolution to get an odd aspect ratio? What does the final editor do with the strange aspect ratio? You can set the ML not to skip frames. ML tells you how many seconds you can shoot at the given resolution and frame rate, so you do not have to shoot until the thing breaks down. At real 720P resolution at 24fps you can shoot for over 2000 frames before it stops, which is plenty. You then can make a nice 720P video at a reasonable frame rate that people might want to watch.

2. You do NOT have to convert the TIFFS to any video like MP4  or Cineform before using Vegas Pro. Your workflow makes no sense (if I understand it). Vegas Pro will read TIFFS natively as an image sequence. By converting TIFFS to MP4 (or Cineform) before you use Vegas you are defeating the whole purpose of RAW - to avoid multiple compression and retain all the info from the sensor.  Why not RAW -> TIFFS (all digital, all info)->Vegas for grading, sharpening and making the final 24fps 720p video. That is what I do (which merely means I know this works).

maxotics

@Markr41  Sorry you're frustrated with me.  I do appreciate all your help!  ;D  The reason I may avoid certain procedures which you recommend is I'm trying to figure out one thing, and don't want to get caught up trying to figure something else out and then ending up in a very unhappy place.  For example, I suspected that Sony might be able to import a string of TIFFs, but I knew ffmpeg would work, so I went with what I knew. (BTW, you can probably get ffmpg to output a single file without compression and have one file with near TIFF quality to move around). Now, not wanting to annoy you any further ;)  I just went into Sony and figured it out.  So I will now do what you recommend and which I FULLY AGREE is a better workflow. Thanks again!

I thought a high resolution, even at one dimension, would be squished and provide better over-all resolution.  I don't know the answers here.  It's very hard to find conclusive information about any of this; I think you'll agree.  That spreadsheet which is a great idea is not being updated anymore.  I'm going to add a page to my blog and hopefully put all this information in one place so I can save others the pain I'm going through.

I do want to settle on some optimal shooting settings for various situations.  Non-crop, crop, etc.

Again, thanks for you all your help and keep it coming!

gravitatemediagroup

Quote from: Dave1711 on August 20, 2013, 04:15:47 PM
Do you mean the EOS M UI as seen on the frontpage? http://www.magiclantern.fm/img/eosm.png
Is this included in the latest .fir file from 1% or where can we get it?

I was more or less talking about the ML website, but ML itself is also nice.

haomuch

Does anyone ever pay a little attention on the photo shooting things instead of the movie? I really don't understand why everybody is talking about movie and movie. But we really need to improve the photo shooting features very eagerly.