EOS M Alpha shutter-bug discussion

Started by jerrykil, September 17, 2013, 07:14:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1%

It did at one point show some but I haven't been able to reproduce it recently... got the red text with stack overflow... now it just says 0 sometimes with no messages.

g3gg0

Quote from: EVVK on October 06, 2013, 05:45:35 PM
If you just re-read everything, I had the bug with a clean memory card, it's a left over from ML. The pure Canon firmware doesn't produce the shutter bug so it's related to ML, I just had to back off everything back to stock to get it all clean of the issues that were from use of ML, why complain, I'm just trying to feed information here! Which could determine hints of which wrong addresses are altered by ML.

as magic lantern is NON-PERMANENT, it wont have any leftovers that could lead to such behavior.
the only permanent change that is made is the boot flag and that is canon's own code.

so either it is clearly connected to the boot flag or all conclusions already made are inconsistent.
Help us with datasheets - Help us with register dumps
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]
ONLY donate for things we have done, not for things you expect!

g3gg0

Quote from: a1ex on October 11, 2013, 08:42:23 AM
- Removing the lens and putting it back will always remove the symptoms.

even when the battery is pulled?
does the lens get permanent power supply?
Help us with datasheets - Help us with register dumps
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]
ONLY donate for things we have done, not for things you expect!

a1ex

If you pull the battery and do a cold reboot, the bug comes back.

If you remove the lens and put it back with the camera still powered, the lens will probably get reinitialized => the bug goes away.

1%

Maybe we need a log of taking the lens on/off and then check that... at least an interim fix could be made.

Malakai

Ill do one later when i get back home.  :D
Hunting for that elusive EOS M shutterbug!!

Malakai

Log is here

Process.
Camera on. Run EOSM_202.fir (new from a1ex with no autoexec.bin). Check shutterbug is still occurring by trying to take a shot. After confirming bug is there I went into TL and enabled DM.log and quickly tried to take a shot but the bug prevents shutter. I then rotated lens on camera to eliminate the bug and took another shot, this time the shutter activated and quickly went into TL and stopped the log.

This log should therefore contain one shutter press with no activation, some kind of lens disconnect and reconnect and another shutter press with shutter activation.

Good luck.

maxotics

Today I had my first definite shutter-bug problem.  I did the lens twist thing to get out of it.

gary2013

Max,

Welcome to the club. So, how does it feel? Ready to spend days looking into it and going in circles? I am just kidding you. I know it doesn't feel good just like the others here and I am happy to see 1%, Alex and the others working hard at finding the cause.

Gary

gary2013

FTR, I just tried the minimal autoexec.bin and it has the shutter bug. I switched back to using Oct 8th version ML and it also has the bug. I also understand all that has been said by Alex on the matter. Let me know if there is something I can do to help more on this issue.

Gary

Malakai

Ok, some new news, i now also have shutter bug with the 22mm efm using the latest build that a1ex sent me. I installed TL with this lens on the camera this morning and got the shutter bug. Very strange.
Ive tried it a few times, its repeatable every time. Rotating the lens removes the bug. The bug doesnt appear if i use the efm adapter and an efs lens or M42 lens.

I guess this shows the bug isnt related to IS or even the lens. Possibly more to do with lens activation. Does the running of the fir make any changes to lens FW as now neither my 22mm or 18-55mm will take shots with TL installed.

maxotics

Gary, this is not a club I want to belong to on so many levels ;)  Anyway, like I said, I bought this camera partly to help out in the cause.  So whatever I can do.  I have suspected that one of the problems might be there are too few users with this camera.  My guess is Alex and 1% would rather die than let this problem get the best of them so I'm confident it will be solved! 

Anything I can do to help, I'm here.

Oh, and let me point out 1% and Alex, that I have two cameras one with 18-55 and one 22mm, so easy for me to test the same build on two cameras configured differently, or whatever might need comparing.

nanomad

Can you guys to a little test for me?

- Note down the "release shutter without lens" setting (under custom functions)
- Try to take a picture. If it fails change the setting to a different value

Repeat a couple of times. The question is wheter that setting does somehow re-initialize the lens communication or not
EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

maxotics

I'm jammed up with events all day today.  But am around all day tomorrow.

Malakai

Quote from: nanomad on October 12, 2013, 02:57:33 PM

Repeat a couple of times. The question is wheter that setting does somehow re-initialize the lens communication or not

This makes no difference, tried this many times.

nanomad

EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

gary2013

Quote from: nanomad on October 12, 2013, 02:57:33 PM

same here for me. no change. bug remains

gary

gary2013

Quote from: maxotics on October 12, 2013, 02:48:23 PM
Gary, this is not a club I want to belong to on so many levels ;)  Anyway, like I said, I bought this camera partly to help out in the cause.  So whatever I can do.  I have suspected that one of the problems might be there are too few users with this camera.  My guess is Alex and 1% would rather die than let this problem get the best of them so I'm confident it will be solved! 

Anything I can do to help, I'm here.

Oh, and let me point out 1% and Alex, that I have two cameras one with 18-55 and one 22mm, so easy for me to test the same build on two cameras configured differently, or whatever might need comparing.
now we're hearing that the 22m is also having the bug.

Gary

jerrykil

gary, sorry, don't wanna piss off the mods in the alpha forum. So i just redid the whole procedure and i got the bug again after one reboot, without pulling the battery. i pull the battery to make sure the camera is completely off. i don't really know if it does anything tho :P
Quote from: gary2013 on October 14, 2013, 06:18:09 AM
One thing I did not do was pull the battery during all of my steps. And I always leave the bootflag on. If you have no bug with minimal autoexec, do you still have no bug when you install Oct 12th ver after that and do not load any modules? If you load all the modules, do you still not have the bug or do you.

I will try again after I here from 1% and Alex. I would bet the bug returns after a certain module loads.

Gary
i never turn off boot flag either. i do still have the bug after i install oct12th without modules. and now i turned on the modules i normally use: dual_iso, raw_rec, and ettr, but the bug remains

gary2013

Quote from: jerrykil on October 14, 2013, 06:36:02 AM
gary, sorry, don't wanna piss off the mods in the alpha forum. So i just redid the whole procedure and i got the bug again after one reboot, without pulling the battery. i pull the battery to make sure the camera is completely off. i don't really know if it does anything tho :Pi never turn off boot flag either. i do still have the bug after i install oct12th without modules. and now i turned on the modules i normally use: dual_iso, raw_rec, and ettr, but the bug remains
I was wondering why everyone, including 1%, was talking about the shutter bug in the alpha thread again. I agree we all should stay in this thread for shutter bug related talk. Maybe someone can move all the posts that were just made over there to this thread.

Sounds like we have different results again with this bug on different cameras which makes it still very confusing. I was hoping to hear you had the same results that I have now.

Gary

jerrykil

Quote from: gary2013 on October 14, 2013, 01:38:51 PM
I was hoping to hear you had the same results that I have now.

lol, yeah
i was hoping for that too. thats why i tried it 4 different times. without fail, it comes back within 10 or so reboots. one time it happened on the second reboot :(

maxotics

We want to find bugs that can always be replicated.  It's easier to debug something that way.  Hopefully, fixing those will lead to the more elusive problems. 

EOS-M 10/12 build, 18-55 STM lens
Can you guys boot into Movie mode.
Make sure autofocus is on
half press shutter

Does screen freeze?  Tried once with 22mm and it also froze.

Thanks!

gary2013

Quote from: maxotics on October 14, 2013, 02:47:38 PM
We want to find bugs that can always be replicated.  It's easier to debug something that way.  Hopefully, fixing those will lead to the more elusive problems. 

EOS-M 10/12 build, 18-55 STM lens
Can you guys boot into Movie mode.
Make sure autofocus is on
half press shutter

Does screen freeze?  Tried once with 22mm and it also froze.

Thanks!
I just tried and it does not freeze here. I am still without the bug.

Gary

maxotics

SOMEWHAT IGNORE ALL THIS.  Looks like this is a screen refresh issue, though maybe a bug, not the shutter bug...the search continues...

Latest thinking, bugs happen after a change in exposure settings.  Believe, based on DM stuff below, that two processes may be over-stepping each other, focus and exposure?

When glitches begin "Clear all settings" in Canon menu seems to fix things.

Can someone try this?  Keep autofocus on. Go into Movie mode, set camera on Manual, then change either shutter or aperture until the image would be seriously under exposed, like 1/2500 f/5.6.  Then do a half-press of the shutter, maybe a few presses. My screen gets corrupted. 

I then tried with 22mm.  Canon "Clear Settings".  Works fine.  Change to Manual mode, still works.  Change to grossly underexposed image, shutter bug.

Went in, enabled DM log.  No bug!  Tried photo mode, movie mode, nothing.  Save DM log.  Tried again, fine.  Re-start, under-exposed, bug is back.

Put 18-55 back on.  Same thing.  DM logging somehow stops bug, even after it's turned off.  But once camera is on again, screen corruption bug comes back from under-exposed shot.

Timing issue as Alex? suggested with memory read/write?

Misc Evidence:

o. To test potential exposure/focus overlapping, zoomed lens and focused quickly between window, floor, anything that might confuse it and screen did start to get corrupted--though was difficult to achieve.
o. If I turn OFF auto-focus and one-shot in movie menu, the screen still goes haywire, but not as badly.  After setting exposure correctly, camera goes back to normal.
o. In manual focus mode, it happened that by changing the shutter the screen will go up a quarter of an inch with each change.  So moving the wheel, and part of the screen moves up, and the bottom part goes white.  Moving shutter speed back down brings back the image part of the screen down.  Almost as if you can move the screen up an down when the wheel is changing the shutter speed.

jerrykil

Maxotics,
are you in ML liveview or standard canon view? camera may not take the picture because it needs more light to focus. i may not understan entirely...