7D Raw Thread

Started by noisyboy, August 05, 2013, 11:52:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1%

I think it needs frame shutter timer for that and on the slave side changes make no effect. On the master side I haven't found it yet but it might be possible.

unwesen

Thanks for the info, 1%. Could you please notify whenever you happen to find it on the master? Would be much appreciated...

1%

Probably you can have more freedom in shutter speeds. Really would like the ADTG ones but those don't really go that slow.

gcbotas

Hello, I need to shoot some raw footage this weekend. The fact is that in my country simply can't find a 1000x memory. Any experience around here with a slower card?

painya

Quote from: gcbotas on October 11, 2013, 04:59:00 AM
Hello, I need to shoot some raw footage this weekend. The fact is that in my country simply can't find a 1000x memory. Any experience around here with a slower card?
I have achieved 720p with a sandisk 30MB's a second (bytes not bits).
Good footage doesn't make a story any better.

britom

and since the buffer is very large, you can capture more frames even on slower cards... on my transcend 400x i get 36mb/s... something like 700 frames at max res 2.39:1
7D Builds with RAW support: http://bit.ly/14Llzda

pit3k

Quote from: chroma on October 11, 2013, 12:57:13 AM
All your points are valid.  But having spent 20+ years shooting 35mm and 65mm outdoors, I always liked to use whatever the current 50 ISO Daylight stock was available from Kodak (be it EXR, Vision I, II, etc.).  Typically it was the very best emulsion they made (i.e. finest grain, widest latitiude).  I also found it surprisingly forgiving in the shadows and good when pushed.   I don't know about using 200 ISO film out in the desert without again using a bazillion stops of ND with an 85 filter.

However, I would like to make one point without sounding argumentative, using a slower sensor in a 7D ML RAW camera (that I own) and having a slightly larger lighting package is way cheaper than purchasing or renting a RED or ALEXA or Panavision Genesis and using less lights.  Is that a fair conclusion?

Back to 7D ML RAW development, is there any word (or advisable procedure) for using an external HDMI monitor when shooting RAW?

Well I think it all depends, on no budget shoot - if you dont have money for cam like c300, 7d with raw is great.
But on production when you can choose lets say between c300, f3, scarlet and 7d RAW( I'm not even thinking about choosing between alexa and 7d)?
And when something goes wrong - try to explain to producer/director that you've chosen to shoot HIS film/commercial/music video with hacked 7d and not with well established camera like c300 just to save money for that 6k HMI :)

I think that ML is great, and even on big budget productions it's an option for certain situations (black swan - metro scene).
But I can't afford to risk 20-50k production day only with 7d raw.

Just my two cents :)   

My speed tests:
Sandisk extreme 60 MB/s  Max horizontal res (1728) @ 25 fps
With 512mb warm up:

2.39:1 - continuous
2:1 - 350
16:9 - 209

without warm up
2.39:1 - continuous
2:1 - 417
16:9 - 256

danistuta

In the last versione 09/10/2013, when I use mlv record appear strange message on the display and the err 70:-(

mrnv45

EBay has 1000x lexars for a good price. I got a 400x I can get

2:35 continuous on 1500 aspect

1780 continuous on 3:1

1%

QuoteIn the last versione 09/10/2013, when I use mlv record appear strange message on the display and the err 70:-(

Use old MLV, new MLV is broken... g3ggo hasn't figured out a fix yet.

QuoteBut I can't afford to risk 20-50k production day only with 7d raw.

You'd be really pushing it with one camera only and then the 15 minute record time (64GB). I'd imagine someone would have to manage/review/copy the media immediately even with multiple cards.

I think you'd actually be safe not using display filter (I overheated in 10x 1080P "crop" mode last night) and 1x only with no moire inducing stuff in frame.

Pileot

Quote from: mrnv45 on October 11, 2013, 02:35:01 PM
EBay has 1000x lexars for a good price. I got a 400x I can get

2:35 continuous on 1500 aspect

1780 continuous on 3:1

Just a warning to anyone buying cards on ebay, there are MANY fraudulent cards out there, with different stickers or even modified to say they have a higher capacity in windows than they really do. Always format the card and run a benchmark / test utility (Google it, there are many) to check that the card has the speeds and capacities claimed.

DragonFlame

Quote from: Pileot on October 11, 2013, 10:54:50 PM

Just a warning to anyone buying cards on ebay, there are MANY fraudulent cards out there, with different stickers or even modified to say they have a higher capacity in windows than they really do. Always format the card and run a benchmark / test utility (Google it, there are many) to check that the card has the speeds and capacities claimed.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GENUINE-Lexar-16GB-Professional-1000X-Compact-Flash-CF-150MB-s-UDMA7-VPG-20-HD-/270999842800?pt=AU_Electronics_Memory_Cards&hash=item3f18d96ff0

I can recommend this shop 1800 Memory on ebay, I have purchased 3 SanDisk card off them and all have been genuine, I plan to pick up a Lexar from them maybe soon, not sure if I prefer to get a Komputerbay because they are cheaper but I have heard they are unreliable so will probably go for a Lexar.

DragonFlame

Quote from: man_bites_dog on October 10, 2013, 04:42:09 PM
Hi All

Long time lurker over the last couple of years. Thanks to all the devs for making this incredible hack - it truly is remarkable!

Don't know if this has been discussed or even possible, (and I have read a LOT of posts and didn't see anything), but are there any plans on creating a module that could write either ProRes or DNXHD to the CF card? I don't mind not having RAW controls and would love the option of having a 10-bit 4:2:2 Prores I could work with. Even maybe MJPEG (like the 1DC) would be good for me.

Cheers

This post is for discussion on 7D raw you would be better off asking that in the feature request section of the forum, that being said I wouldn't count on a module to do that, I couldn't imaging it would be fast to covert footage on the camera to prores ect why would you want to anyways, RAW is superior to ProRes and DNXHD except in file size. Once you taste the true power of RAW nothing else compares.

Edit: after reading the stickies in the feature request board again it seems asking for codec support on camera is not allowed, it seems MPEG might be possible but anything beyond that won't be on camera ever.

gcbotas

Any experience about how performs a 7d with a Lexar 32gb 800x writing raw?  :P

mucher

For your information, with my Lexar 800x, which was from the internet, I have got 42mb/s sustainable, and that speed translates to 1344 x 756 by aspect of 16:9, if it means anything to anybody. Lexar's 800x and 1000x's write speed differentiates a lot seemingly.

gcbotas

Quote from: mucher on October 12, 2013, 06:38:31 AM
For your information, with my Lexar 800x, which was from the internet, I have got 42mb/s sustainable, and that speed translates to 1344 x 756 by aspect of 16:9, if it means anything to anybody. Lexar's 800x and 1000x's write speed differentiates a lot seemingly.

Not very happy to hear that.  >:( , recently bought one trough internet... now just waiting to put it into my camera and pull out hair off my head

man_bites_dog

Quote from: DragonFlame on October 12, 2013, 03:05:49 AM
This post is for discussion on 7D raw you would be better off asking that in the feature request section of the forum,

Ok, didn't know about that...

DragonFlame

I do not yet own a Lexar but if people on this board a correct it seems the 1000x cards are the way to go, the 800x for some reason even rated at 120mbs seem to have trouble reaching even half that speed. I would be interested to hear if anyone with a 800x has managed to hit 80mbs on their 7D?

1%

Heheh, prores? DNxHD?

Let me know when you have an implementation running on PII 233mhz real time, then we'll put it in ML.

Pelican

Quote from: DragonFlame on October 12, 2013, 10:21:38 PM
I do not yet own a Lexar but if people on this board a correct it seems the 1000x cards are the way to go, the 800x for some reason even rated at 120mbs seem to have trouble reaching even half that speed. I would be interested to hear if anyone with a 800x has managed to hit 80mbs on their 7D?
The Lexar 800x cards have Max. Read Speed: 120 MB/s and Max. Write Speed: 45 MB/s.
So don't expect too much from that card.
(The Lexar 1000x has 150/145 MB/s spec.)
EOS 7D Mark II, EOS 7D, EOS 5, EOS 100 + lenses (10mm to 300mm), 600EX, 550EX, YN600EX x 3
EOScard, EOS DSLR firmwares, ARMu, NiControl, etc.: http://pel.hu/down

tonybeccar

Hey anyone else is having a problem recording H264? It hangs when it stops recording.. what's the SAFE build for this problem? Or is there a workaround? Haven't loaded any modules..
Thanks!

1%

Steps to reproduce? I can't get it to hang under normal conditions at all. Where it will hang is a buffer overflow + fps override. If you don't have it on though everything seems fine.. even sticking it on Q-16

ted ramasola

using the oct 11 nightly. with raw video OFF and NO FPS Override.  Modules loaded are file_man and raw_rec.

it freezes with ERR 80.
first try- after freeze I remove battery-replace-turn on-I can play back movie recorded.
2nd try-after freeze I remove battery-replace-turn on- "movie cannot be played" message on screen.

with raw video OFF and NO FPS over ride. Modules loaded is only file_man

same freeze at end of recording with H264, then ERR 80.
5DmkII  / 7D
www.ramasolaproductions.com
Texas

1%

So what else is on? What mode? I'm recording fine.

Ok, I see, the problem is with PAL and NTSC is unaffected so I never noticed.

Also switching modes around seems to fix it for the time being, odd.

Thomas Worth

I apologize if this is a known issue, but I thought I'd mention it anyway and provide some examples.

When shooting in RAW mode on the 7D at 50fps, the recording size is 1728x694. You are then instructed to stretch the image vertically in post by 1.4x to correct the aspect ratio to a proper 1.78:1 (16:9) frame, which gives 1728x972. This is the same resolution you'd get if you shot at 24/25fps.

However, stretching by 1.4x still does not give a correct aspect ratio, despite filling the frame up to 16:9. The picture is still squished vertically. In order to fix this, you must stretch by 1.56x. But, if you do this and then resize back to a height of 972, you cut off the left and right sides of the frame which results in a pillarboxed image.

I haven't tried this on the 5D3 as the camera is out on a job at the moment. Once it's back, I'll test it as well.

Here are examples that show the result of stretching the image by both 1.4x and 1.56x:

1.4x:

1.56x: