7D Raw Thread

Started by noisyboy, August 05, 2013, 11:52:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ted ramasola

Quote from: 1% on October 13, 2013, 06:06:11 AM
So what else is on? What mode? I'm recording fine.

Ok, I see, the problem is with PAL and NTSC is unaffected so I never noticed.

Also switching modes around seems to fix it for the time being, odd.
im using ntsc. Global draw is on.
5DmkII  / 7D
www.ramasolaproductions.com
Texas

1%

Is digic peaking on? Thats what seems to have been doing it for me.

I have it turn off while recording but I guess it doesn't come back slow enough after movie is finished. It works for raw and on other cameras.. must be lag from the dual digic

Ok, the bug seems to be if you have it on at boot time then your recording will fail and err 80.

mrnv45

do i have to activate anything to get 14bit... or is it only 2.5k raw?

im kinda confused. #noooob

1%

Its same bits always.

Digital Corpus

Quote from: man_bites_dog on October 10, 2013, 04:42:09 PM
Hi All

Long time lurker over the last couple of years. Thanks to all the devs for making this incredible hack - it truly is remarkable!

Don't know if this has been discussed or even possible, (and I have read a LOT of posts and didn't see anything), but are there any plans on creating a module that could write either ProRes or DNXHD to the CF card? I don't mind not having RAW controls and would love the option of having a 10-bit 4:2:2 Prores I could work with. Even maybe MJPEG (like the 1DC) would be good for me.

Cheers
Quote from: 1% on October 12, 2013, 11:06:36 PM
Heheh, prores? DNxHD?

Let me know when you have an implementation running on PII 233mhz real time, then we'll put it in ML.

What 1% is saying is a little more complex to those who don't understand codecs and the hardware inside portable devices..

From my understanding the DIGIC is a ASIC ARM processor that controls the majority of the image processing on the camera and is responsible for image output. A JPEG is a type of image file format where the data from the CMOS sensor is processed by the DIGIC and compressed in a number of ways, including lowering it to an 8-bit-per-channel bit depth.

The information going into the DIGIC is the raw image data. As is common on most cameras these days, this information doesn't need to be compressed down into a JPEG. In fact we have access as a still image and refer to it as a RAW file. Side note: nomenclature is such that we refer to a RAW image in caps, but I don't know why specifically.

Now since a RAW image is essentially unprocessed, it's very "easy" for us to recorder this information. the DIGIC has specific hard coded algorithms for decoding a RAW image and compressing it into a JPEG image, thus its hardware accelerated and doesn't require [much] software/code to produce.

However,  a format such as ProRes or DNXHD would have to be implemented purely in software since the compression algorithms are not in the hardware. Given it's relative performance of a Pentium II @ 233 MHz, our ARM chip is not capable of running such code/software capable of compressing the RAW feed into any requested format without taking a reeeaaalllyyy long time. For HD or near HD resolutions, it's extremely unlikely to get any of those formats codec to run at those resolutions and fast enough to chug away at 24-60 fps.

Now, our DIGICs have a H.264 encoder in hardware as well, but with limited options and we cannot really access many of the registers to control it. However, we can, thanks to ML, adjust bit rate and general compression quality. As such, you have h.264 for video or RAW and for still images we have a lossless 4:2:2 silent photo, RAW, and JPEG.
7D w/ ML | Tokina ATX 11-16 | Canon 24 mm pancake | Canon 40 mm pancake | Canon 17-55 f/2.8 IS | Sigma 150-600 Sports

man_bites_dog

Quote from: Digital Corpus on October 13, 2013, 09:15:00 AM
What 1% is saying is a little more complex to those who don't understand codecs and the hardware inside portable devices.

Thanks man, really appreciate a simple to understand breakdown of how it works. Sometimes, the responses to questions in here can be unnecessarily harsh to noobs. Didn't realise the h.264 encoding was hardcoded into the chip and my ASSumption was that if it could convert to h.264 on the fly, then going to Prores should be possible. My bad. Won't bring it up again...

Fringuello

I do not know what happened, but the car goes into err just try to change fps  ???
Italy - canon 7D

12georgiadis

Hi everyone,

I wonder if there is still a hope to get continuous recording in 1920 X 1080 for the 7D (even if it's only 24p) or if we're locked with 1728 X 972 forever ?
Is it a buffer problem ? card write speed limit or dual digic issue ?

RenatoPhoto

Quote from: 12georgiadis on October 13, 2013, 02:53:39 PM
I wonder if there is still a hope to get continuous recording in 1920 X 1080 for the 7D (even if it's only 24p) or if we're locked with 1728 X 972 forever ?
Can only get 1920x1080 in cropped mode at 5X zoom.  I get 1 min 30 sec of 1920x1080 at 24 fps on 7D with Lexar Pro 1000X.
http://www.pululahuahostal.com  |  EF 300 f/4, EF 100-400 L, EF 180 L, EF-S 10-22, Samyang 14mm, Sigma 28mm EX DG, Sigma 8mm 1:3.5 EX DG, EF 50mm 1:1.8 II, EF 1.4X II, Kenko C-AF 2X

1%

QuoteI do not know what happened, but the car goes into err just try to change fps  ???

With digic peaking from boot had this symptom as well... I think I'm going to delete the config variable for it so you have to enable it every boot like dialog timer.

I'm  happy enough recording 1728x1152 which is cont for me.

For the 1080P its hit or miss continuous it seems (ive seen it before), 10x also helps a little but in raw quality I'm only getting ~1:30 too, maybe switch to jpeg... its doing 82MB/s so probably 1038 would work.

Ok, cleared card.

1. Photo mode, timers disabled, quality jpeg
2. record at 1x till see some 79MB w/ idle
3. 10x or 5x... 1920x1038 is continuous
4. record 7 minutes (32GB) while I type, still going

so if you're really hard up about the 40px, buy a 50D where its 1080P or 2kx1k... but 50D can't do the wonderful full size LV we have without the crop factor, its only 15xx.

600D folks are scaling 960x540 to 720P and 1080P, lol.

12georgiadis

Quote from: RenatoPhoto on October 13, 2013, 03:52:07 PM
Can only get 1920x1080 in cropped mode at 5X zoom.  I get 1 min 30 sec of 1920x1080 at 24 fps on 7D with Lexar Pro 1000X.

Ok, good to know. Beause the upscale is a step that I would like to avoid for quality and time.

1%

40px upscale has an impact on quality?

mityazabuben

Quote from: 1% on October 13, 2013, 04:19:37 PM
With digic peaking from boot had this symptom as well... I think I'm going to delete the config variable for it so you have to enable it every boot like dialog timer.

I'm  happy enough recording 1728x1152 which is cont for me.

For the 1080P its hit or miss continuous it seems (ive seen it before), 10x also helps a little but in raw quality I'm only getting ~1:30 too, maybe switch to jpeg... its doing 82MB/s so probably 1038 would work.

Ok, cleared card.

2. record at 1x till see some 79MB w/ idle
3. 10x or 5x... 1920x1038 is continuous
4. record 7 minutes (32GB) while I type, still going

so if you're really hard up about the 40px, buy a 50D where its 1080P or 2kx1k... but 50D can't do the wonderful full size LV we have without the crop factor, its only 15xx.

600D folks are scaling 960x540 to 720P and 1080P, lol.
what version of firmware. With a last update Ive got a really bad speeds - ~73MB\s (

1%

Latest compiled. I do remember the 1080P being cont previously so I dunno, only a few things changed with exmem to make it work with MLV.

12georgiadis

Thanks 1% for the answers. So if I understand correctly, you can have a 1920x1038 continuous  in crop mode (10x or 5x...) ?
For this resolution, it's obvious that the upscale is not a problem for quality. But it is an additional step in post-production and if it's done in the wrong way (id. using the FCP upscale) by the assistant editor, you're losing time in professional environment. Whereas if it's 1920X1080, it is ready for edit.

1%

Thats how it is for me right now. I recall having the 1080 continuous too.. its only off by like 1MB tho.. if it can just stay at 83 then the problem should be solved unless you're on 25P

RenatoPhoto

Quote from: 1% on October 13, 2013, 04:19:37 PM

I found them and get more speed with Timers disabled...  What timers are these, what drawbacks or problems with timers disabled?
http://www.pululahuahostal.com  |  EF 300 f/4, EF 100-400 L, EF 180 L, EF-S 10-22, Samyang 14mm, Sigma 28mm EX DG, Sigma 8mm 1:3.5 EX DG, EF 50mm 1:1.8 II, EF 1.4X II, Kenko C-AF 2X

1%

They are timers for redrawing the canon dialogs. On 50D they are nuts.. here not as much.

Down side is that canon dialogs will not update. ie.. ISO menu won't show but if you turn the wheel iso changes. Ironically a1ex fixed this unintentionally via the light up ISO in the bottom bar :)

In photo mode you can see the expo bar in the middle doesn't update and more along these lines, stuff just not drawn. These are all I've noticed and it resets every time you boot up even if you don't disable it (re-enable drawing), which you can and then close/open LV.

These + dead 10x = fastest speed since hacked mode can't touch the master digic. Unless we investigated ALL the regs on master first and hard coded the sizes to be change from slave... which may have to be done anyway for that last bit of speed.

RenatoPhoto

Thanks for clearing that up!  Great catch.. 

ted ramasola

@1%

Confirmed that DIGIC PEAKING is causing freeze at end of H264 recording.
With Digic Peaking OFF no more H264 record end freeze.

No problems with "OLD" peaking feature Via OVERLAY menu.

Can the digic peaking be active only with RAW Video? I like digic peaking for critical focusing compared to old peaking.

Compared it with 5D mkII, -Digic Peaking has no problems with H264 recording. This freezing is only on the 7D.
5DmkII  / 7D
www.ramasolaproductions.com
Texas

1%

Freeze on 7D, freeze on EOSM, lost speed on 50D/6D, seems OK on 600D

The easiest thing to do will be drop the config variable so you have to turn it on whenever the camera starts. The big problem is only at bootup. Boot with it off then turn it on and I think it will record and not freeze. It also crashes the camera in 10X + raw video. I already fixed the latter but a bunch of us forgot and everyone is like H264 is crashing :)

alsey7

1% whats up with shutter lock always on.

kirklasalle

Quote from: 12georgiadis on October 13, 2013, 02:53:39 PM
Hi everyone,

Is it a buffer problem ? card write speed limit or dual digic issue ?

Quote from: RenatoPhoto on October 13, 2013, 03:52:07 PM

Right now I'm running 1600x900 continuous and it's beautiful! ( CF komputerbay 32 gb 1000x)
I set my sequence to 1920x1080 and scale up the video by 20% and it still looks beautiful...
I figure that's how I'll work-around it until 1080 becomes continuous and stable... And some scratch audio will be nice. Great Job!

Test video approx. 30s - 1600x900 upscaled 20% to 1920x1080
Unfortunately, YouTube's process is horrible and destroyed a lot of the detail...
There are better methods and settings for youtube but, this is just a test shot.

Thanks guys! Keep up the great work!

1%

Quote1% whats up with shutter lock always on.

Explain. I can change shutter speed fine, don't have shutter lock enabled.

alsey7

ow no i just meant everytime i turn on camera  ( movie tweaks )  shutter lock is always on. I can turn it off which i do if need be.but that's normal on bootup right? thats its always on.