Canon 650D / T4i

Started by nanomad, August 03, 2013, 07:27:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davidtlong

Quote from: Walter Schulz on January 09, 2014, 11:40:13 PM
That's why I called it a bug.

Ha I know.  So is something to be reported or having just discussed this is does the report? 

dave

Walter Schulz

A1ex is involved and he has a suggestion.
Are you able to compile your own build?

davidtlong

Quote from: Walter Schulz on January 09, 2014, 11:47:29 PM
A1ex is involved and he has a suggestion.
Are you able to compile your own build?

Sorry for delay in my response.  Not at this time unfortunately.

dave

mk11174

Hope to relieve Alex from scratching his head.

Here is a compile of latest using modules from nightly plus the mlv_snd added in.

First, delete ML folder and current autoexec.bin from CARD before doing each test, and test many times by restarting cam many time to check for Modules Icon.

Here is compile with CONFIG_BEEP
https://bitbucket.org/mk11174/t5i/downloads/ML_650D_with_CONFIG_BEEP_Jan_9_2014.zip

Here is without CONFIG_BEEP
https://bitbucket.org/mk11174/t5i/downloads/ML_650D_without_CONFIG_BEEP_Jan_9_2014.zip

Alex is guessing this may be the issue.

500D/T1i  550D/T2i  600D/T3i  700D/T5i

HrRaiko

Quote from: mk11174 on January 10, 2014, 05:58:22 AM
Hope to relieve Alex from scratching his head.

Here is a compile of latest using modules from nightly plus the mlv_snd added in.

First, delete ML folder and current autoexec.bin from CARD before doing each test, and test many times by restarting cam many time to check for Modules Icon.

Here is compile with CONFIG_BEEP
https://bitbucket.org/mk11174/t5i/downloads/ML_650D_with_CONFIG_BEEP_Jan_9_2014.zip

https://bitbucket.org/mk11174/t5i/downloads/ML_650D_without_CONFIG_BEEP_Jan_9_2014.zip

Alex is guessing this may be the issue.

Is this for module section problem? I tried without beep, turned mlv_snd on and got error.
Canon EOS 650D | Sigma 18-35mm F1.8 DC HSM Art + CPL Filter | Samyang 14mm F2.8 IF ED UMC AS | Canon EF 50mm F1.8 II | Kamerar SD-1 Slider/Dolly + Velbon PH-368 | YONGNUO YN-568 TTL | Benro KH25 | Sennheiser ME2 Mic

mk11174

Quote from: HrRaiko on January 10, 2014, 08:12:12 AM
Is this for module section problem? I tried without beep, turned mlv_snd on and got error.
Yes, just suppose to see if Module tab magically disappears, dont worry bout mlv_snd error for now. dont even bother wih modules unless you want to debug by loading some and do a few restarts and see if anything makes module menu vanish in either the build with COFIG_BEEP  or without it.

Walter Schulz

Cannot test right now because my 650D stayed at home.

Walter Schulz

Quote from: mk11174 on January 10, 2014, 05:58:22 AMHere is compile with CONFIG_BEEP

Have to confess: I just copied files over without deleting ML folder. First tried without_CONFIG_BEEP and menu tab won't disappear.
Copied with_CONFIG_BEEP over and menu tab was *not* present after cam booted the very first time.
Copied without_CONFIG_BEEP over and menu tab is there. Turned cam off/on and ... menu tab is there. Retried: Good again.

That's all, folks!

Ciao
Walter

mk11174

Quote from: Walter Schulz on January 10, 2014, 07:39:00 PM
Have to confess: I just copied files over without deleting ML folder. First tried without_CONFIG_BEEP and menu tab won't disappear.
Copied with_CONFIG_BEEP over and menu tab was *not* present after cam booted the very first time.
Copied without_CONFIG_BEEP over and menu tab is there. Turned cam off/on and ... menu tab is there. Retried: Good again.

That's all, folks!

Ciao
Walter
So looks like config_beep is the bad guy like alex thought!, so for now i guess it will have to get taken off for your cam.

By the way, how does mlv_rec and mlv_snd work?

Walter Schulz

Quote from: mk11174 on January 10, 2014, 09:17:12 PMBy the way, how does mlv_rec and mlv_snd work?

Didn't go there yet.

Ciao
Walter

a1ex

Good, now to narrow down the bug:

- comment out INIT_FUNC("beep.init", beep_init);
- comment out TASK_CREATE( "beep_task"...)
- replace "CONFIG_INT("beep.enabled", beep_enabled, 1);" with "int beep_enabled = 0;

At this point, all beep functions should be inactive, so it should no longer have side effects. Make sure this is true.

Then, enable the above stuff one by one (starting with the first one).

mk11174

Quote from: Walter Schulz on January 10, 2014, 10:08:44 PM
Didn't go there yet.

Ciao
Walter
After playing around on my 700d just now, I noticed that when I run a beep in a loop it slows my live view a bit on every beep, but interesting, if I set beep to off in the sound menu, it crashes camera, no beep is heard but after 2 seconds while I am forcing a beep even though I set it to off in menu, it crashes, so the beep is def flakey on my cam to. It does not interfere with my Module menu loading at least but clearly it is being buggy.

So I will take away beep from my cam too I think just to be on safe side.

This does not affect mlv_snd with mlv_rec though, all still works fine, I still get sound, you just wont have any audio menu until you enable mlv_rec and mlv_snd in the modules menu.

mk11174

Quote from: a1ex on January 10, 2014, 10:12:28 PM
Good, now to narrow down the bug:

- comment out INIT_FUNC("beep.init", beep_init);
- comment out TASK_CREATE( "beep_task"...)
- replace "CONFIG_INT("beep.enabled", beep_enabled, 1);" with "int beep_enabled = 0;

At this point, all beep functions should be inactive, so it should no longer have side effects. Make sure this is true.

Then, enable the above stuff one by one (starting with the first one).
ok, will do!

a1ex

Quote from: mk11174 on January 10, 2014, 10:14:13 PM
it slows my live view a bit on every beep

This is not normal. Maybe some stub is wrong? (not sure where to look, need to debug the code step by step and see where it breaks). For starters, go to beep_task, where you see if (beep_type == BEEP_SHORT), and comment out play_beep. It should work fine, no low-level calls are made before this. If it doesn't work, it's probably a task priority issue.

but interesting, if I set beep to off in the sound menu, it crashes camera

When you disable beep, the beep calls will do nothing else than blinking the LED. Make sure blinking works (e.g. from don't click me).

mk11174

Quote from: a1ex on January 10, 2014, 10:20:53 PM
This is not normal. Maybe some stub is wrong? (not sure where to look, need to debug the code step by step and see where it breaks). For starters, go to beep_task, where you see if (beep_type == BEEP_SHORT), and comment out play_beep. It should work fine, no low-level calls are made before this. If it doesn't work, it's probably a task priority issue.

When you disable beep, the beep calls will do nothing else than blinking the LED. Make sure blinking works (e.g. from don't click me).
Hmm, well, I guess I should not say that the beep normally crashes it, because it is only when I am using beep with bolt trigger which also is enabling the old raw_rec, and while that is going and beeping on detections then that is when live view stutters during beeps and if I am running this and go to ML Beep menu and turn Beep to off then it crashes err70 in 2 seconds.

But if I am not using bolt trigger and just playing a beep then all is fine, so I guess it was not as bad as I thought.

I will change the code for the 650D and let the testers with the cam try it out and will try to solve the Modules menu thing first.

UPDATE! It was not the beep at all crashing my cam during the bolt trigger beep for sure, cause I changed changed beep to blink so during detection it would blink instead of beep and it pauses the live view screen each detection and if you do detection constant more then 2 seconds it crashes just like with beep.

I personally added beep(); in the code during detections, so it is probably just the way the module is set up that it does not really do good with an extra command going on during detections, this actually was unstable in 600D as well last year when I used it, only cam that handled beep stable during detections was 550D and 5D MarkII that I know of.

So at least rules out beep was messing things up for me anyway.

Now to figure out what is killing modules menu for 650D

Not really worried about the beep yet, unless this whole thing is a wrong stub even though it is working, but if you think a stub might be wrong, then maybe its off a bit. But first things fist, let me make the changes and let the testers check the 650D since I dont have one.

Blink test went fine I looped it 20 times in Dont click me

mk11174

Ok, here are all the tests a few people need to try for alex.

Start with test 1 and restart cam a few times to make sure module menu stays put.

If test 1 passes, go to test 2 and keep going till one finally gets rid of the Modules menu and stop there and report back which one did it, dont bother going onto next test.

https://bitbucket.org/mk11174/t5i/downloads/ML_650D_Jan_9_2014_Tests.zip

And I know I named the files 9th, I did not realize it was the 10th lol

HrRaiko

Quote from: mk11174 on January 10, 2014, 09:17:12 PM
By the way, how does mlv_rec and mlv_snd work?
Works perfect ;)

Edit: U guys need to add some"thanks" buttons or something to this forum :D
Canon EOS 650D | Sigma 18-35mm F1.8 DC HSM Art + CPL Filter | Samyang 14mm F2.8 IF ED UMC AS | Canon EF 50mm F1.8 II | Kamerar SD-1 Slider/Dolly + Velbon PH-368 | YONGNUO YN-568 TTL | Benro KH25 | Sennheiser ME2 Mic

pdamico21

Hello!
I just wanted to say thank you to the people at ML for creating all this cool software that enables so many great features that would otherwise be out of reach for people like me (the no budget movie maker!).  From what I understand, most of you do this on your spare time and work on donations, so that is just awesome of you guys to do that.  I will definitely be donating!  I have been using ML for a couple of months now, and it has really helped bring my movies to a whole new level.  I just did my first nightly build update today, and I see that the audio is now enabled!  Thank you!  You guys rock, keep up the good work! :D

Walter Schulz

Quote from: mk11174 on January 11, 2014, 02:34:14 AMIf test 1 passes, go to test 2 and keep going till one finally gets rid of the Modules menu and stop there and report back which one did it, dont bother going onto next test.

Test 1+2: No err
Test 3: Menu tab there/not there and unpredictable so.
Back to Test 2: Fine again.
Skipped Test 4 because was told to do so.

Ciao
Walter

a1ex

Okay, so the failed test is when starting beep_task (which does nothing, just waits for beep requests). Maybe we have hit the limit of how many tasks we can start?

Can you post screenshots of the task list from Debug menu?

Walter Schulz

Zipped Screenshots

VRAM4 + 5: Test 2, all modules loaded
VRAM6 + 7: Test 2, no module loaded
VRAM8 + 9: Test 3, module tab absent
VRAM10 + 11: Test 3, module tab present

a1ex

Indeed, module_task is missing.

This means some other things that start new tasks (e.g. auto expo, raw recording, don't click me) will have the same trouble.

On "don't click me" you have a memory backend test (once you run it, you will get a double free error - this means the test worked and the backend caught the error). If my theory is correct, this test should be inconsistent too.

Quote from: mk11174 on January 11, 2014, 01:33:02 AM
Hmm, well, I guess I should not say that the beep normally crashes it, because it is only when I am using beep with bolt trigger

This explains it. From vsync hooks you should not do anything that takes longer than say 1-2 miliseconds (this code runs on Canon's LiveView task).

Walter Schulz

Not sure if I got this one.

Used "Test 3", module tab present and hit "Don't click me!" several times
Used "Test 3", module tab absent and hit "Don't click me!" several times
Used "Test 2", hit "Don't click me!" several times

Results are all the same: "Memory Error > double free
No difference at all.

a1ex

Correct; after startup, ML will shutdown the loader task.

You can try to start a redraw test and a rectangle test; see if you can start both of them (each one runs in its own task). If both are running fine (you can tell the difference from how the screen is refreshing), hit "don't click me" while these two are running. See if you can get the double free error.

Walter Schulz

To make sure I understand how rectangle and redraw tests are working together:
Run rectangle alone and random rectangles appear on the screen, overwriting each other.
Run rectangle together with redraw and random rectangles will appear but only the last one will be drawn. No overwriting.
Correct?

Rectangle and redraw are running and after hitting "Don't click me!" I have to hit the trashcan button to access the debug tab again. And there I'm getting "Memory Error > double free". All the time, with Test 2 and Test 3 (with/without module tab).