550d VAF-txi filter problem

Started by Rewind, July 23, 2013, 04:22:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nanomad

It would be helpful if you could upload a debug.log
EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

FrankLad

Quote from: nanomad on September 12, 2013, 05:01:33 PM
It would be helpful if you could upload a debug.log

Hi, nanomad!  I've uploaded the most recent log here:

http://www.frankladner.com/pubimages/LOG027.LOG

Thanks for any help you can offer!

nanomad

Unfortunately that log seems incomplete. Make sure you turn off the camera *after* the red light turns off when error 20 comes up on screen.
EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

FrankLad

Quote from: nanomad on September 12, 2013, 05:51:01 PM
Unfortunately that log seems incomplete. Make sure you turn off the camera *after* the red light turns off when error 20 comes up on screen.

Ahhhh, my apologies.  Here's a complete log:

http://www.frankladner.com/pubimages/LOG028.LOG

FrankLad

Update:  Mosaic Engineering had me ship one of my Canon t2i cams to their office for comparison against their own t2i that works with the VAF-TXi filter.

My gut feeling is that a solution will have to come through a software change (ie. Error 20 override/bypass) or some type of fairly drastic hardware change... but I'm hopeful they - or someone here in the forums - can figure out an answer.

Thanks for reading!

donjames150

Quote from: FrankLad on September 16, 2013, 08:19:44 PM
Update:  Mosaic Engineering had me ship one of my Canon t2i cams to their office for comparison against their own t2i that works with the VAF-TXi filter.

My gut feeling is that a solution will have to come through a software change (ie. Error 20 override/bypass) or some type of fairly drastic hardware change... but I'm hopeful they - or someone here in the forums - can figure out an answer.

Thanks for reading!

I recently ordered a VAF filter from Mosaic (not received yet). This is what they wrote me yesterday regarding the err20 issue. I have the T4i, so I don't think it will be my issue, but for those who bought this who have the t2i and t3i.....

Thanks for your order of the VAF-TXi anti-aliasing filter, pending in our system as of today.  As you know we had some delay in shipping this filter as it had gone out of stock; we now have this filter available once again and are ready to ship your order to you at this point.

Before we ship this filter to you, however, we'd just like to confirm in advance with you regarding an emerging issue that has recently come to our awareness, with the T2i/550D and the T3i/600D - in case you are intending to use the VAF-TXi with one of these cameras.  (So far we do not know of this issue to occur with the T4i/650D or T5i/700D - only with the T2i/550D and the T3i/600D).

Here's the situation currently:  Occasionally, a photographer with a T2i or T3i will report an "Err 20" code when trying to use our VAF-TXi.  (This seems to be restricted to these two specific cameras, and their international counterparts, the 550D and 600D; we have not had it reported in connection with any other camera body.)  However, it's relatively easy to know in advance, whether this will be an issue with any of your cameras; basically this amounts to supporting the a camera's reflex mirror gently with your finger, in the same way that our filter will when installed.  Specifically, here's a quick check you can run, to test if it would happen with your camera:

1) Remove your camera's lens.

2) Put the camera in "movie" mode with the selector dial on top.

3) Turn the camera on; you will receive a message on the LCD screen to the effect that no lens it attached.

4) Press the "Live View" button.  The mirror will raise and the focal plane shutter will open, and you will see a blurry overexposed image of light on the LCD screen.  So far, this is all exactly the normal behavior.

5) Now, pretend to the camera that you've installed our VAF-TXi filter, by gently holding the mirror up with a finger.  Please see here - http://mosaicengineering.com/products/vaf/txi/install.html - for a clear view of how our filter holds the mirror up.

6) Still holding the mirror gently up, turn the camera off, then back on.  Again you will receive a message on the LCD screen to the effect that no lens it attached.

7) Again still holding the mirror up, press the live view button:

8a) The focal plane shutter should click open, and again you should see a blurry overexposed image of light on the LCD screen.  This is the normal behavior that is generally seen, and indicates that the VAF-TXi will work fine with your camera!

8b) On the other hand, some photographers at this stage, have reported that the camera displays an "Err 20" message instead of going into Live View, preventing the recording of video.  (By turning the camera off and removing either your finger or the VAF-TXi, the camera returns to normal.)

Please let us know what happens, when you try this!  At this point, we're working with the Magic Lantern developers to try to find a solution to this problem where it occurs, but unfortunately this is still a work in progress.

Anyway please let us know which of the camera bodies you have, and what you find, and if things look well we'll get the filter out to you as soon as possible.

Thank you any ways for your interest in our filters;

Best,

Max
EOS 760D + 55-250mm + Tokina 11-16mm

PaulHarwood856

I can confirm as well that replacing the shutter on my Canon T3i fixed the Err 20 issue with the VAF-TXI. Mosaic Engineering told me this would most likely fix the issue, and it did! It's a bummer to have to replace the shutter, but according to Canon, it needed to be replaced anyway. Also, if you don't have the money to spend on this filter, you can purchase for $9, the Visiontech Picture Profile (You also get Visioncolor). Here is the link to purchase: http://www.vision-color.com/visioncolor-for-canon-eos/ This cuts down on moire and aliasing pretty well in 1080p mode. I am just happy that this filter works in 720p mode (Mosaic Engineering told me), as well as all my lenses but my Opteka 6.5mm fisheye. Mosaic Engineering confirmed the Tokina 11-16mm f2.8 will work with this filter, but the Canon EF-S 10-22mm f3.5-4.5 doesn't work well. I also am finding this product very helpful for raw video. I hope this helps anyone out there trying to remove moire and aliasing.

- Paul Harwood

PaulHarwood856

Hey ZachGoodwin,

So sorry to hear you are getting the error message again. I can feel your frustration, I know I was at least when I first experienced this error before having to replace the shutter. I would try calling Canon, and see if they can trouble shoot. It seems Mosaic Engineering has done everything they can do, but it's definitely worth a try to call Canon and tell them this error came up again, even after a little time passed since replacing the shutter. Please let us know how this goes.

Just a thought, a Canon T2i is pretty affordable used nowadays, and this error seems to be a problem with only some of the Canon T2is and T3is, according to Mosaic Engineering when I spoke to them. I also spoke to FrankLad, and he said the same thing, if I remember correct.

So, possibly spending money on replacing the shutter a second time, it might be a better idea to purchase a used T2i, and use your current one as a backup camera (so your main one has no aliasing). I hope this makes sense, and that everything works out for you. Please let me know if I can be of any help.

- Paul Harwood

PaulHarwood856

Hey ZachGoodwin,

So glad to see you fixed your T2i error message. I wasn't telling you to sell your T2i, I'm aware it's perfectly fine. What I was saying was, if you were considering paying to replace the shutter again, you could buy one more T2i instead, possibly without the error message (since some T2is have it and some don't according to Mosaic Engineering).

- Paul Harwood

Ottoga

@zachgoodwin
So what did you do with the screw? Put a shorter/longer one in or something else?

A detailed explaination may help others with a similar problem.
EOS 7D.203, EFS 55-250mm, EF 75-300 III, Tamron 16-300 DiII VC PZD Macro, SpeedLite 580EX II.

Brawl

I didn't understand how that screw was the cause of the error 20. and how did you fixed it?

can you explain better please?

thx

rsmith02

I just got a VAX-TXi for use with my t3i. The error it is giving is an Error 30 which happens when after using the filter for filming I turn the power off. I also have an issue where I install the filter, and try to shoot but while the mirror is up, the shutter is still in the way (I can see it through the lens).

As a work around, if I switch to a photo mode and then back into video the shutter retreats and I can use the camera.

I can also get the camera to work after an error 30 by removing and reinserting the battery and then doing the same photo mode to video mode trick. It is annoying but not a huge issue.

The footage is a bit soft and it's hard to focus as the magnified views are really soft but the filter does remove aliaising and moire.

PaulHarwood856

Hey rsmith02,

I'm glad you found a workaround for your T3i and VAF-TXI. I didn't try those options, but I did notice the Err 20 (I think you have Err 30) got worse and worse and I simply couldn't take it anymore. Did you try calling Mosaic Engineering? They might be able to troubleshoot with you. Worth a try.

- Paul Harwood

PaulHarwood856

Hey summervibes,

I had the Error 20 issue with my Canon T3i when using the VAF-TXI. It was resolved when I got the shutter replaced by Canon. It cost $250, in 2015. My recommendation is get an estimate from this place in New York: https://phototech.com/digital-slr-camera-repair/

Apparently it is cheaper to get a shutter replacement.

I love shooting with VAF filters, they really do help remove aliasing and moire.

- Paul