Dual ISO - massive dynamic range improvement (dual_iso.mo)

Started by a1ex, July 16, 2013, 06:33:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

a1ex

kichetof

$ ./cr2hdr
cr2hdr: a post processing tool for Dual ISO images

Last update: 30a5132 on 2014-05-07 10:34:25 UTC by a1ex:
cr2hdr: print a message when overwriting the output file

Download cr2hdr-20bit for Mac only with last commit 30a5132 ;)

@a1ex thanks for having solved the warnings on compilation!

DavidSh

Quote from: kichetof on May 07, 2014, 06:36:39 PM
$ ./cr2hdr

Well i drag a file on top the cr2hdr icon and nothing happened...
what am i missing?
(old version of cr2hdr for mac is installed)
600D | 5D3 | macOS Sierra | http://www.GentleDogMovie.com

dubzeebass

Quote from: kichetof on May 07, 2014, 06:36:39 PM
$ ./cr2hdr

Many thanks!

kichetof

@DavidSh I've this error, so it's normal you don't have anything... I think it's a problem with dcraw, maybe to old version I'll find tonight if I've the time

$ ./cr2hdr _MG_2824.CR2

Active options:
--amaze-edge    : use a temporary demosaic step (AMaZE) followed by edge-directed interpolation (default)
--cs2x2         : apply 2x2 chroma smoothing in noisy and aliased areas (default)
--wb=graymax    : set AsShotNeutral by maximizing the number of gray pixels (default)

Input file      : _MG_2824.CR2
Camera          : Canon EOS 5D Mark III
Camera model    : Canon EOS 5D Mark III
dcraw could not open this file

My version of dcraw
dcraw

Décodeur de photo raw "dcraw" v9.20
par Dave Coffin, dcoffin a cybercom o net

@dubzeebass  happy to help!

-----------------------------------------

Solved!

You need dcraw 9.21 (download dcraw 9.21 for MAC Only compiled on my mac)

surami

@a1ex: I uploaded a comparison (deleted, see #2059), where you can see what I speak about. I processed the cr2s (shooting -> M, Dual ISO: 100/1600, f8, 1/30s, wb: daylight) with the newest cr2hdr-20bit without --same-levels command and after that I imported them into Lightroom. On the histogram jpgs you can see, that the pieces of the sphere panorama has the same settings (wb, exp, shad, highl), I exported them as 16bit TIF and stiched them in PTGui, so I got the panorama_01.jpg (It is resized and I cut the bottom part of the panorama). You can see the dark part (computer desk, chair, window, couch, till door on the right and a part of the ceiling) on the panorama. Take a look at the panorama_02.jpg, at this processing I pushed up the exposure manually (let's say expose to the middle) at the darker pieces and the problematic part looks much better after the stiching.

So if I see the histogram at the second processing all of the pictures are shifted to the middle. Is there a way to analyze the full histogram + setup a base exposure shift for all dngs (let's say +1,5EV) + after that setup a reference picture manually (let's say, this picture is the perfect middle) + after that shift (+/-) the other pictures exposure to the middle automatically? Of course there will be some difference between the pictures after the export (at panorama_02.jpg I had minimal differences), but PTGui done the rest shift at blending/stiching.

Update: When I shoot this panorama, I metered the light in 2 directions at -1EV (to the lightest and to the darkest) in AV mode and after that I switched to M mode and setup the avarage between this two.
550D + nightly ML

a1ex

Can you upload the CR2 files for shots 1 and 2? (these two seem quite different)

I already explained that histogram matching in this case does not make sense.

surami

Yes, I will send the download link for you in pm as soon as it will be uploaded.
550D + nightly ML

DavidSh

Quote from: kichetof on May 07, 2014, 07:56:38 PM
@DavidSh I've this error, so it's normal you don't have anything... I think it's a problem with dcraw, maybe to old version I'll find tonight if I've the time

Thanks man,

Best
David

a1ex

Quote from: surami on May 07, 2014, 09:49:32 PM
Yes, I will send the download link for you in pm as soon as it will be uploaded.

The exposure is matched in areas that overlap (check the spotmeter values). Therefore, the feature works as designed.

surami

550D + nightly ML

ShaunWoo

hey again everyone, i been trying to find some guide for exiftool with no luck, can anyone point me to a guide or a discussion for it please? i dont understand how to use it or input commands or anything, i run the .exe, click and drag a single file or a sequence onto it, it shows up some text, then an
-- More  -- Lines:
with numbers at the end of lines, i cannot input text, only numbers, so i dont see how i am supposed to input the code that a1ex provided me to even out the levels to make the sequence "same levels" rather than using cr2hdr's same levels, so i can process sequenceses with 500+ frames,

also, the script for running multiple instances, now crashes every version of cr2hdr that is ran, does the script need to be updated for the latest version?

hope to hear some feedback

if it helps i can provide screenshot if needed of anything, just let me know what you need them off

if it helps, im using, windows 7 64bit ultimate, 5d mk3, mlv conversion using mystic PP with after effects

Walter Schulz

http://www.sno.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/
From the commandline:
exiftool --help
to transfer text to file
exiftool --help>>help.txt
and open help.txt in your editor of choice.

If you downloaded exiftool from queensu you will get "EXIFTOOL(-k).EXE". All strings in brackets will work as arguments. In this case you will execute "EXIFTOOL.EXE -k". To get rid of it just rename or create a copy just named "EXIFTOOL.EXE" and work with this file.

Ciao
Walter

surami

It bothered me yesterday, that I can't shoot a nice Dual ISO sphere panorama, so I tried it again at nearly the same light conditions and the result is quite good. (I think I didn't meter the light correctly the day before yesterday and I set up my camera wrongly, thats why there was a big dark part on that panorama.)

What I did now:
1. Whitebalance: daylight; picturestyle: standard, f8, ISO 100, in ML: Dual ISO 100/800
2. AV mode: metered (evaulative metering) the light in the room (turned around with the panorama head) in every direction, so this way I found the max. and a min. shutter speeds. I didn't touch the exposure compensation slider. (The day before yesterday it was -1EV.)
3. Switched to M mode: adjusted the shutter speed exactly between the max. and min. values (so this is the middle). There was 11 steps, so I originated from the metered min. and turned the wheel by 5 steps.
4. Shot the panorama.
5. Processed the cr2s with the lates cr2hdr-20bit without any command parameters.
6. I imported the dngs into Lightroom and made this adjusments: whitebalance: 5000; highlight: -100; shadows: +100, whites: -10; blacks: -10 and removed the cromatic aberration. I didn't touch the exposure. Exported to 16bit TIF, 300dpi.
7. Aligned the TIFs in PTGui and created the panorama as a 8 bit TIF.
8. I opened the panorama in Photoshop and adjusted the shadows by: 5% and pushed up the brightness to 21 and saturatoin to 10. After that I saved as jpg, quality 12.

Here is a small resized result.
(deleted)

Sorry for this big image here, how can I thumbnail it, I saw here at many post? (see #2064)
550D + nightly ML

Audionut

You can use the [img width=] tag.  Check the edit of your post.

Rather then metering the midtones of the entire scene (Canon Av mode), you might want to look at AETTR

AETTR will meter for the highlights.  So in your above shot, you would not have the blown out areas, in the window on right, and both floor areas.  With dual ISO, the shadows remain clean.

In that scene (recovering all highlights), I would try dual ISO 100/1600.

surami

Thanks for the "width" tag.

I also thought about the AETTR, but in this situation there is too much difference between the frames. If I start to shoot with AETTR always on, then in the 1st direction (from the 6 horizontal + 1 zenit) it will be fine after the sample shots (2/3 shots till get the right settings). The problem is there, that the panorama head turns automatically by 60 degrees after 1 shot, so the AETTR sample shooting sequence will start again and after the 1st sample shot the head turns again... and of course the next frame also different from the previous so everything will be bad. :) So it's a shoot-move-shoot head.

The shooting round would be fine till the 2nd direction, it looks like this:
0. (0 degree): AETTR always on, making the sample shots to get the right settings.
1. (0 degree): Start the panorama shooting sequence, result a perfect AETTR shot.
2. (60 degree): Head moved to the next frame, but totally other light conditions, so the AETTR starts again to get the right settings, but at the 1 shot head turns...
3. (120 degree): AETTR believes the it is at the 60 degree direction, but not. :D so again...

I don't know what to do, but I think there is solution somehow, that's why I started to experiment with middle shutter value.

Update: The best would be to fix an avarage AETTR setting somehow for all, and fix the Dual ISO too and shoot everything (all the 7) with same settings. Maybe this way:
1. AV mode to find the middle manually by turn around.
2. Find that direction where the expo comp slider shows 0.
3. Switch to M mode: AETTR always on, make the sample shooting sequence and fix the perfect one somehow and setup Dual ISO 100/1600. Can this be done somehow?

Something like this or I don't know. Maybe you understand what I think.
550D + nightly ML

a1ex

If you don't care about the images being exposure-matched in overlapped area (I assume you don't, otherwise you would have used M mode and --same-levels), just enable Post Deflicker, and meter each image as you wish (Av or ETTR).

Of course, in this case, the recommended way to use ETTR is on the SET key (and meter before each shot). The Always On mode should be used when the exposure is unlikely to change between shots (because it meters from the previous shot).

Audionut

I got the sense that the OP did want exposure matching, since he was looking for some middle exposure setting.

In which case, use AETTR just for the brightest exposure.  That is to say, with the camera positioned to capture the really bright window, in the above scene (the one that is overexposed), use AETTR to find the optimal shutter/aperture combination.  That window is the brightest object in the scene, so we know that this is exposed as far right of the histogram as possible (with AETTR).

In M mode (turn off AETTR), with the shutter/aperture combination from AETTR earlier, I would simply enable dual ISO 100/1600, and capture the frames needed.

Process the dual ISO images with cr2hdr and the --same-levels setting.

ShaunWoo

i downloaded the version you just linked me to, and this one doesnt even let me type in anything, the only thing it lets me do is press enter which will reveal more information on exiftool, if i press the p character, it will display "Lines:", but if i type in numbers, any other characters, they wont come up, so i cant enter --help, with the version i originally had and the one you provided me with, i tried dragging and dropping in a DNG file, and it just gives me a list of file types, and at the end:
-- More -- Lines: 22814260000400

really seems confusing just to correct exposures for a sequence :(

DavidSh

@kichetof

Hi man,
Have you find out if its a dcraw problem preventing the cr2hdr 20bit to work on mac?
Is there something a user like me can do to help?

Best
David

Walter Schulz

@ShaunWoo: Exiftool is a so called "commandline" tool. It's "environment" is call CLI (command line interface).
You're running Windows 7/8?
Open Explorer (no, not Internet Explorer), mark the folder where exiftool is located. Now press SHIFT, open context menu (mouse right click) and you have an option "Open command window here". Do so and a whole new world will open up. Well, "new" may not be the proper description ... <eg>.
You will see a black window with some white/grey letters like
C:\users\yourname\downloads\exiftool>_
where the "cursor" is blinking constantly. Now type
exiftool --help

This command line was - once upon a time - the personal computer's very interface for users to access their programs, files, interfaces.

You can run CMD.EXE to access CLI, too. Use commands
cd <directory name>
cd \
cd ..

to access the directory you want.

Ciao
Walter

kichetof

@DavidSh you need to update dcraw ;) (replace file to /usr/bin/ or use "which dcraw" to locate its exact folder)

Quote from: kichetof on May 07, 2014, 07:56:38 PM
Solved!

You need dcraw 9.21 (download dcraw 9.21 for MAC Only compiled on my mac)

@a1ex could you add a way into cr2hdr.c to check if dcraw and exiftool exist into the same folder of cr2hdr exec ? (on Mac or Linux, when you execute the command without ./ exec comes from PATH but not from the same folder, I know: I don't learn you anything :))
With that, we can include into the same folder dcraw, dcraw.exe, exiftool, exiftool.exe and use the right version (most useful for my LR plugin with the newest version of dcraw needed)

Ouch! I think it will not possible unless if we can compile an executable of exiftool with embedded library
Its works but I need to copy all lib files into the same folder of exiftool :)
$ ls -R
File Image exiftool

./File:
RandomAccess.pm

./Image:
ExifTool ExifTool.pm

./Image/ExifTool:
AES.pm ITC.pm Photoshop.pm
AFCP.pm Import.pm PostScript.pm
AIFF.pm InDesign.pm PrintIM.pm
APE.pm JPEG.pm Qualcomm.pm
APP12.pm JPEGDigest.pm QuickTime.pm
ASF.pm JVC.pm README
Apple.pm Jpeg2000.pm RIFF.pm
BMP.pm Kodak.pm RSRC.pm
BZZ.pm KyoceraRaw.pm RTF.pm
BigTIFF.pm LNK.pm Radiance.pm
BuildTagLookup.pm Lang Rawzor.pm
Canon.pm Leaf.pm Real.pm
CanonCustom.pm M2TS.pm Reconyx.pm
CanonRaw.pm MIE.pm Ricoh.pm
CanonVRD.pm MIEUnits.pod Samsung.pm
CaptureOne.pm MIFF.pm Sanyo.pm
Casio.pm MNG.pm Scalado.pm
Charset MPC.pm Shift.pl
Charset.pm MPEG.pm Shortcuts.pm
DICOM.pm MPF.pm Sigma.pm
DNG.pm MWG.pm SigmaRaw.pm
DPX.pm MXF.pm Sony.pm
DV.pm MakerNotes.pm SonyIDC.pm
DarwinCore.pm Matroska.pm Stim.pm
DjVu.pm Microsoft.pm TagInfoXML.pm
EXE.pm Minolta.pm TagLookup.pm
Exif.pm MinoltaRaw.pm TagNames.pod
FLAC.pm Nikon.pm Theora.pm
FLIR.pm NikonCapture.pm Torrent.pm
Fixup.pm NikonCustom.pm Unknown.pm
Flash.pm Nintendo.pm Vorbis.pm
FlashPix.pm OOXML.pm WriteCanonRaw.pl
Font.pm Ogg.pm WriteExif.pl
FotoStation.pm Olympus.pm WriteIPTC.pl
FujiFilm.pm OpenEXR.pm WritePDF.pl
GE.pm PDF.pm WritePNG.pl
GIF.pm PGF.pm WritePhotoshop.pl
GIMP.pm PICT.pm WritePostScript.pl
GPS.pm PLIST.pm WriteQuickTime.pl
GeoTiff.pm PNG.pm WriteXMP.pl
Geotag.pm PPM.pm Writer.pl
H264.pm PSP.pm XMP.pm
HP.pm Panasonic.pm XMP2.pl
HTML.pm PanasonicRaw.pm XMPStruct.pl
HtmlDump.pm Pentax.pm ZIP.pm
ICC_Profile.pm PhaseOne.pm iWork.pm
ID3.pm PhotoCD.pm t1
IPTC.pm PhotoMechanic.pm

./Image/ExifTool/Charset:
Arabic.pm Latin.pm MacCyrillic.pm MacLatin2.pm PDFDoc.pm
Baltic.pm Latin2.pm MacGreek.pm MacRSymbol.pm ShiftJIS.pm
Cyrillic.pm MacArabic.pm MacHebrew.pm MacRoman.pm Symbol.pm
Greek.pm MacChineseCN.pm MacIceland.pm MacRomanian.pm Thai.pm
Hebrew.pm MacChineseTW.pm MacJapanese.pm MacThai.pm Turkish.pm
JIS.pm MacCroatian.pm MacKorean.pm MacTurkish.pm Vietnam.pm

./Image/ExifTool/Lang:
cs.pm es.pm ja.pm ru.pm zh_tw.pm
de.pm fi.pm ko.pm sv.pm
en_ca.pm fr.pm nl.pm tr.pm
en_gb.pm it.pm pl.pm zh_cn.pm

DavidSh

Quote from: kichetof on May 08, 2014, 07:47:40 PM
@DavidSh you need to update dcraw ;) (replace file to /usr/bin/ or use "which dcraw" to locate its exact folder)

@a1ex could you add a way into cr2hdr.c to check if dcraw and exiftool exist into the same folder of cr2hdr exec ? (on Mac or Linux, when you execute the command without ./ exec comes from PATH but not from the same folder, I know: I don't learn you anything :))
With that, we can include into the same folder dcraw, dcraw.exe, exiftool, exiftool.exe and use the right version (most useful for my LR plugin with the newest version of dcraw needed)

Ouch! I think it will not possible unless if we can compile an executable of exiftool with embedded library
$ ./exiftool
Can't locate Image/ExifTool.pm in @INC (@INC contains: ./lib /Library/Perl/5.16/darwin-thread-multi-2level /Library/Perl/5.16 /Network/Library/Perl/5.16/darwin-thread-multi-2level /Network/Library/Perl/5.16 /Library/Perl/Updates/5.16.2 /System/Library/Perl/5.16/darwin-thread-multi-2level /System/Library/Perl/5.16 /System/Library/Perl/Extras/5.16/darwin-thread-multi-2level /System/Library/Perl/Extras/5.16 .) at ./exiftool line 30.

Thanks Man,
does cr2hdr have to be in the same folder (usr/bin)? because drag n drop option does not working

kichetof

Quote from: DavidSh on May 08, 2014, 08:24:10 PM
Thanks Man,
does cr2hdr have to be in the same folder (usr/bin)? because drag n drop option does not working

Nop! Only dcraw need to be into /usr/bin

DavidSh

Quote from: kichetof on May 08, 2014, 08:46:47 PM
Nop! Only dcraw need to be into /usr/bin

and drag n drop works for you?
I can only use command line, and i dont know how and if command line works with folders or multiple files..