Canon 650D 1.0.1 [Status: Alpha / OBSOLETE]

Started by nanomad, June 09, 2013, 07:35:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1ricca

Quote from: blade on June 17, 2013, 12:16:57 PM
As far as i know, that is the only reason. Most dominant use would be e.g timelaps. It will save a lot of shutter action, save a lot of space, and the quality is perfect for this purpose.

Also, quiet moments and places during event coverage; Church, Quiet indoor area, trying to be incognito, trying to keep violent constant clicking sounds out of fellow videographer's audio, etc. It's a cool thing to have for sure. I just wish the res could be higher but I understand how it works.

Maybe some day we can find a way to do it in mirror lock-up mode or something at normal res... can only hope.

NikeFreak

скажите пожалуйста, когда примерны сроки выхода МЛ на новей версии прошивки 104? хотя бы примерно.

tell please when terms of an exit of ML are approximate on the version of an insertion 104 is newer? at least approximately.

please tell me when about release dates ML Keep up to firmware version 104? even approximately.

6D ML + Sigma 24-70mm F2.8 + Canon 70-200mm F2.8L IS II + Canon 50mm F1.8 STM + Zenitar 16mm F2.8 + Canon SpeedLite 430EX II
650D ML + Canon 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 STM + Helios 44-2 58mm F2.0
500D ML + Canon 55-250mm F4-5.6 IS II + Canon 18-55 mm F3.5-5.6 IS

blade

Quote from: NikeFreak on June 17, 2013, 01:10:54 PM
please tell me when about release dates ML Keep up to firmware version 104? even approximately.

Ml is developed in spare time of the developers, there is no timeline. Its done when its done.  The developers are aware of the 1.04 version, however i has no fixes that can not be overcome by a work around, so it may not have a high priority.
eos400D :: eos650D  :: Sigma 18-200 :: Canon 100mm macro

NikeFreak

как же 104 не может иметь высокий приоритет, если раньше из за нее откладывалась разработка МЛ для 650, разработчики сами сказали что не имея прошивки не могут сделать полноценную МЛ на 650, и вот когда она появилась говорят обратное.

as 104 can't have a high priority if earlier because of it development of ML for 650 was postponed, developers told that without having an insertion can't make full ML on 650, and here when it appeared tell the return.

how 104 can not be a high priority, if earlier it was postponed due to the development of ML 650, the developers themselves have said that without the firmware can not make a full ML 650, and that's when it appeared they say the opposite.

6D ML + Sigma 24-70mm F2.8 + Canon 70-200mm F2.8L IS II + Canon 50mm F1.8 STM + Zenitar 16mm F2.8 + Canon SpeedLite 430EX II
650D ML + Canon 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 STM + Helios 44-2 58mm F2.0
500D ML + Canon 55-250mm F4-5.6 IS II + Canon 18-55 mm F3.5-5.6 IS

dngrhm

Quote from: NikeFreak on June 17, 2013, 02:34:44 PM
as 104 can't have a high priority if earlier because of it development of ML for 650 was postponed, developers told that without having an insertion can't make full ML on 650, and here when it appeared tell the return.

how 104 can not be a high priority, if earlier it was postponed due to the development of ML 650, the developers themselves have said that without the firmware can not make a full ML 650, and that's when it appeared they say the opposite.
I think what you are asking is if ML devs first said they needed a new firmware release before they can start on ML development, now that the first firmware is released, why are they saying it is a low priority?

A firmware update used to be easiest (only?) way to initially "hack" the firmware.  A different method was found to get access to the firmware that was running on the camera, instead of having to wait for a firmware update.  The initial access is what used to place the importance on a firmware release.  Now that ML is working with a version of Canon firmware, the importance of firmware update is diminished and  limited to, "What did Canon fix?", "Does ML have access to new features?", and "What does this update break?"  The last is the most important and the answer is likely "The firmware update breaks most/all of ML."  Stuff Canon fixed likely have a workaround already.  In this case they do.  The risk is great. The benefit is small.  Cost/benefit says low priority.
EOS 650D + 620 | Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 STM + 55-250mm f/4-5.6 | Canon EF 50mm f/1.8
Mac OS 10.9 | PinkDotRemoval Tool | RAWMagic | DaVinci Resolve | FCP X

AlecWild

Hi all - forgive me if this should be posted in a different forum, but I think I may have the (dubious) distinction of shooting the first completed short film with ML on the 650D. Thanks so much to the hardworking developers, to satriani for the nightly builds, and all the help on this amazing board.

The film won the Best Film prize at the Idaho 48-hour film festival - so for you perfectionists and colorists out there - this was a QUICK turnaround :)

Thanks again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4ULUkPxixI

kazeone

Quote from: AlecWild on June 17, 2013, 08:55:59 PM
Hi all - forgive me if this should be posted in a different forum, but I think I may have the (dubious) distinction of shooting the first completed short film with ML on the 650D. Thanks so much to the hardworking developers, to satriani for the nightly builds, and all the help on this amazing board.

The film won the Best Film prize at the Idaho 48-hour film festival - so for you perfectionists and colorists out there - this was a QUICK turnaround :)

Thanks again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4ULUkPxixI

lol I liked it :)

blade

It may not be the correct forum, but I surly enjoyed the short film. Can you explain what features you used in ml to make this?

Sandsnor

Errh... Switched SD card to my new sanDisk 95mb/s to try it out. While setting up some of my preferences, At "FPS override" i chose 65 fps just for fun. A few seconds later the screen froze and now the camera won't boot ???.

Did i just brick it?  :-\

AlecWild

Well, I wanted to stick with the things that had been well-tested/reviewed by the good people on the forum, so I stayed away from RAW shooting for now :)

Used:
Zebras
Focus Peaking
Cropmarks (2.35:1)
Magic Zoom
Spotmeter and Histogram
Dialed in WB manually, AND used Green/Magenta adjustment
REC picture style (used Tech. Cinestyle)
Display contrast
Rack focus (although I did some of them manually. I found RF a little twitchy)
Movie Restart
REC Key - Shutter to Record (I used a wireless Yongnuo Wireless Radio Flash Trigger, which worked like a charm) thanks red5446 for that!

I think that's most of it. What an awesome thing to have those tools on the 650D.

nanomad

Quote from: Sandsnor on June 17, 2013, 09:41:43 PM
Errh... Switched SD card to my new sanDisk 95mb/s to try it out. While setting up some of my preferences, At "FPS override" i chose 65 fps just for fun. A few seconds later the screen froze and now the camera won't boot ???.

Did i just brick it?  :-\

Never had it happen (the brick I mean, but I had it crash multiple times). Pull the battery and card out. Let it rest for a minute or so and try to boot it up without a card
EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

demetrisag

i wodering, Beside the know bug for the pink lines, will the general quality of raw go up with updates?

It seems to me raw, silent pic or video for that matter adds much more noise than original canon one.

blade

A raw picture will also have more noise as its jpg counter part. Jounfux noise in post, and you and up with a better end result.

demetrisag

i know what you mean! But I was actually comparing it with canon raw. not jpeg :)

blade

You mean canon raw film? Or raw pic vs silent pic

demetrisag

I assume ML silent pic Raw and Video raw is the same thing, right? just streamable. Any of those ML raw DNG either silent pic or extracted from Video. Compared to Original Canon Photo Raw has much more noise overall. Other than the known bug of pink dots.

Lets just say for the sake of the arguement I took a photo on iso 800 with silent pic RAW and the same photo with Canon RAW. When I put them on photoshop I match the pixel size for a more fair comparison. And the ML raw has so much more noise then the canon.

Sandsnor

Quote from: nanomad on June 17, 2013, 10:06:20 PM
Never had it happen (the brick I mean, but I had it crash multiple times). Pull the battery and card out. Let it rest for a minute or so and try to boot it up without a card

That was, with panic in my eyes my first action!

Waited about a ½ hour while charging the battery to 100%. Screen black, shutter mute and no sign of life.
Any idea? Is there any reset button(s)?

nanomad

Uhm that's very weird indeed. Does the card have any logs?

Does the led blink when you put a SD card inside that has an autoexec.bin on it?
EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

Sandsnor

Quote from: nanomad on June 17, 2013, 10:35:23 PM
Uhm that's very weird indeed. Does the card have any logs?

Does the led blink when you put a SD card inside that has an autoexec.bin on it?

No light. There are two logs, rom0.bin & rom1.bin, how do i open them?

blade

Quote from: demetrisag on June 17, 2013, 10:23:02 PM
I assume ML silent pic Raw and Video raw is the same thing, right? just streamable. Any of those ML raw DNG either silent pic or extracted from Video. Compared to Original Canon Photo Raw has much more noise overall. Other than the known bug of pink dots.

Lets just say for the sake of the arguement I took a photo on iso 800 with silent pic RAW and the same photo with Canon RAW. When I put them on photoshop I match the pixel size for a more fair comparison. And the ML raw has so much more noise then the canon.

The canon raw is the full sensor, silent pic is just the live view . If you read the documentation about sp. you would know that the resolution is only 1720x974.

demetrisag

live view doesnt cover the whole sensor? I dont get it. But anyway is the extra noise I get at higher iso result of the lower resolution raw?

dngrhm

Quote from: Sandsnor on June 17, 2013, 10:47:51 PM
Waited about a ½ hour while charging the battery to 100%. Screen black, shutter mute and no sign of life.
I had similar symptoms when I turned off the auto-off feature in the Canon menu and left the camera running until the battery ran out, with ML installed.  A couple things I tried, and I can't remember what worked:
- a different card without ML
- the same card without ML
- a different card with ML
- pressing and holding set when you turn on the camera (with ML on SD card)
I think I took out the battery and SD card and turned the camera off between each attempt.
EOS 650D + 620 | Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 STM + 55-250mm f/4-5.6 | Canon EF 50mm f/1.8

Sandsnor

Quote from: dngrhm on June 17, 2013, 11:03:54 PM
I had similar symptoms when I turned off the auto-off feature in the Canon menu and left the camera running until the battery ran out, with ML installed.  A couple things I tried, and I can't remember what worked:

Thanks but it really seems dead. Are you sure you did nothing else?

A couple of things that may be the cause this:
-When i installed ML and did the firmware update it said it couldn't find any update.
-I set the fps override to 65fps
-Directly after the above step, under the FPS Override category i was switching between Accurate fps, 180d no yello effect (or whatever it was called) etc.

dngrhm

Quote from: Sandsnor on June 17, 2013, 11:31:39 PM
That's all I remember trying.  Set pressed on camera startup is what worked now that I remember.

No red SD card LED lighting up?
Have you touched the 1.0.4 firmware update from Canon?
You downloaded the Satriani build today?
What platform is your host (Win, Mac, Linux)?

Trying to gather some more relevant info.  Maybe you are already working this with nanomad and/or a1ex via a different channel.

1ricca

Quote from: Sandsnor on June 17, 2013, 11:31:39 PM

A couple of things that may be the cause this:
-When i installed ML and did the firmware update it said it couldn't find any update.
-I set the fps override to 65fps
-Directly after the above step, under the FPS Override category i was switching between Accurate fps, 180d no yello effect (or whatever it was called) etc.

A different battery, perhaps. To toss one out there.