Canon 650D 1.0.1 [Status: Alpha / OBSOLETE]

Started by nanomad, June 09, 2013, 07:35:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nanomad

DON'T UPGRADE TO 1.0.4 OR ML WILL NOT WORK

What's currently not working: Everything audio related plus a couple of features that require more button than what we have

Known "quirks":
- MZ is flickering. No solution known beside basically hardlocking the UI.
- FPS override may cause crashes. This requires a lot of testing to figure out correct timer values. I'm on it

How do I test it?

Note that there are no official ML builds for the 650D right now, but you can use Satriani's build for the moment

1. Download the needed files

- 650D-safe-dumper.fir: https://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/src/99bd629f7c5712346369840e64c04fd2d4576520/platform/650D.101/devkit/650D-safe-dumper.fir?at=unified

- Latest Magic Lantern builld from user Satriani: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/hxsv61cq992egmy/BtTgp4q6i0

- EOSCard for Windows http://pel.hu/eoscard/ or MacBoot for OS X http://www.zenoshrdlu.com/macboot/macboot.html

2. low level format your SD card

3.  Copy 650D-safe-dumper.fir on SD card.

4. Copy the stuff from latest build on SD card (ML folder and autoexec.bin).

5. Start camera in M photo mode and run firmware update.

6. Run EOSCard, check EOS_Develop and BOOTDISK

7. Put SD card in camera just press the trashcan button to run ML
EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

nanomad

Me needs a photo of a 650D with ML running on it :P
EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

blade

New topic! Nice clean start. I will switch to a Satraini build ASAP.. Aldo my wife is away with the car, and my camera is in the trunk ..doh...

For the FPS testing is there anything I can do to help?
eos400D :: eos650D  :: Sigma 18-200 :: Canon 100mm macro

Ftlz

Hi.
First of all, thanks for all efforts by all ML developers/contributor/sponsors.
I wish I could donate but I live in Iran and all possible ways of money transfer (Paypal, Visa etc) are sanctioned and restricted.
I have a question, maybe seems noob:
Just tried to install ML on a 650D. installed "650d-bootfix.fir" from nanomad.magiclantern.fm and I saw the "enablebootdisk :)" messages. After making card bootable and copying ML stuff, it didn't work (The camera didn't boot from card at all). I tried again with "650D-safe-dumper.fir" and this time everything worked successfully. My question is: Was the first .fir file "650d-bootfix.fir" (which I had installed first) safe and won't it harm my camera?
Thank you again

lostear

Walter Schulz

Quote from: nanomad on June 09, 2013, 07:35:02 PM
What's currently not working: Everything audio related plus a couple of features that require more button than what we have

Bug: Focus stacking

Doesn't work as intended. I tried several options (shots to be taken in front and back, focus step setting) and the result was always the same. Focus is established, takes first shot, the focus plane is shifted forward in a slow pace and then ... surprise ... it takes a fast walk back to the focus point for the first shot and takes the second shot at this very point. Then focus wanders forward where the third shot has to take place (slowly) and again the focus races back to "ground zero" and captures the third shot.
All shots are taken at the very same focus point.
Tried with today's build, too. All the same. Tried with Canon EF 100/2.8 Macro USM and Canon EF 100/2.8 L IS Macro USM.

Is there someone able to use this option?

Ciao, Walter

Chiriponga

lostear

Quote from: Walter Schulz on June 09, 2013, 09:05:05 PM
Bug: Focus stacking

Doesn't work as intended. I tried several options (shots to be taken in front and back, focus step setting) and the result was always the same. Focus is established, takes first shot, the focus plane is shifted forward in a slow pace and then ... surprise ... it takes a fast walk back to the focus point for the first shot and takes the second shot at this very point. Then focus wanders forward where the third shot has to take place (slowly) and again the focus races back to "ground zero" and captures the third shot.
All shots are taken at the very same focus point.
Tried with today's build, too. All the same. Tried with Canon EF 100/2.8 Macro USM and Canon EF 100/2.8 L IS Macro USM.

Is there someone able to use this option?

Ciao, Walter

Had the exact same issue except that the camera would keep snapping pics without stopping. No buttons would stop it. I ended up having to switch the camera off.

nanomad

Walter Schulz

Memory issue, esp. malloc? Reset to factory defaults didn't help at all.

Ciao, Walter

nanomad

The bin is quite big, I should probably try to use another boot method but I'd prefer to stick to the good ol' one ...

Walter Schulz

Again about memory: Found this document in this thread.

The numbers doesn't match. May be a build issue (a1ex vs. satriani)? Can someone shed some light on this?

Ciao, Walter

Toast

Just to be sure, if i "install" ML, but then use an SD-Card without ML on it, the camera does boot the normal firmware, right?

nanomad

nanomad

Quote from: Walter Schulz on June 09, 2013, 10:10:39 PM
Again about memory: Found this document in this thread.

The numbers doesn't match. May be a build issue (a1ex vs. satriani)? Can someone shed some light on this?

Ciao, Walter

It depends on the number of enabled features

edit: focus stacking fixed :)

Toast

Thanks for the fast answer. Will try it now. *happy*

I see the EOSCard tool is only available for WIn and Mac, ist there any way to low level format the card with linux?

Walter Schulz

Quote from: nanomad on June 09, 2013, 10:33:01 PM
It depends on the number of enabled features

I disabled all ML features I found in the menues.

Quote from: nanomad on June 09, 2013, 10:33:01 PMedit: focus stacking fixed :)

Fine, will test it tomorrow. I have to wait for sitriani's build.

Ciao, Walter

nanomad

Enabled as in "compiled", disable TCC and modules and it jump back to more than 200Kb

Walter Schulz

Thanks for the clarification!

Very minor bug(?) and not sure if it is needed to work on it:

Load modules, unload modules, load modules: Two items "RAW video" in Movie tab.

Ciao, Walter

Toast

Ah, sorry, i misunderstood. Low level format on the cam, right? What would be the risk, if i can't check the bootflag with the eoscard tool?

Man, misunderstood again. (Bad day, apparently). I thought eoscard is only to check, if the flags are correct. Looking for a way to make the card bootable with linux. Any hints?

adrian2013

Can anyone tell me why after ejecting the screen displays do update again and remove the battery, but this appears to me if I tried out the card again to have nothing to update but even so it isi must say that I installed ML N dated June 9, 2013,.thank you

nanomad

You appear to be using a translator, use your native language as what you said isn't very clear ...

Quote from: Toast on June 09, 2013, 11:06:06 PM
Ah, sorry, i misunderstood. Low level format on the cam, right? What would be the risk, if i can't check the bootflag with the eoscard tool?

Man, misunderstood again. (Bad day, apparently). I thought eoscard is only to check, if the flags are correct. Looking for a way to make the card bootable with linux. Any hints?

There are two make_bootable scripts inside the contrib/make-bootable folder of the repository :)
The python one is newer, so you should try using it.

nanomad

Quote from: Walter Schulz on June 09, 2013, 11:01:25 PM
Thanks for the clarification!

Very minor bug(?) and not sure if it is needed to work on it:

Load modules, unload modules, load modules: Two items "RAW video" in Movie tab.

Ciao, Walter

"upstream" bug shared by all models. The module system is far from perfect :)

adrian2013

Can anyone tell me why after ejecting the screen displays do update again and remove the battery, but this appears to me if I tried out the card again to have nothing to update but even so it is. ML_N_09.06.2013 2 hour ago i instaled

Walter Schulz

May I ask for a favor, adrian?

Please post your input in english *and* french. Your translator knocks me out.

Ciao, Walter (no native speaker either)