Canon 700D / T5i

Started by nanomad, June 01, 2013, 12:55:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dfort

Ok--looks like a1ex cleaned up things when he merged my pull request. All tests passed on the Stubs API Test. Yay!

Inherited an issue from 114, can't save lossless compressed full resolution silent pictures so there's still work to be done.

janbravo

Clean HDMI / Clear overlays.
Sorry if this has already been answered elsewhere - can't seem to find a recent answer.
I need to connect an Atomos recorder via HDMI.
Will CLEAR OVERLAYS make it a Clean output? Will any cropping happen or will the quality or resolution suffer in any other way?
Do you have any input towards the experience of using external recorders like Atomos?
Thanks

ErwinH

I've been testing h264 proxy and mlv_snd recording on my 700D and I'm either missing something or running into some errors.

I want to have some sort of audio track to be able to sync 3 recordings (2 camera's and a screen capture)

Recording H264 proxy is hit or miss, especially using lossless recording, but even 12bps or 10bps isn't stable. I get flickering, pink artifacts, pink bars. After some recordings the live view goes black, and restarting gives bars on the screen.
Recording 1280x720@10bbp makes the camera freeze after 35-50 seconds. I'm running crop_rec_4k.2017Oct16.700D115

Using mlv_rec with mlv_snd records but at the end of the record it errors with: "audio failed to stop 4" error. This is after the first recording, and the camera "softlocks"with a busy notification.

I'll do some more research, but was curious if there were others with the same issues.

Danne

QuoteUsing mlv_rec with mlv_snd records but at the end of the record it errors with: "audio failed to stop 4" error.
This issue is supposed to be fixed somewhere around here:
https://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/commits/f9c3d6e7f8ee36490f65dd09c1ae172878a5ce76

What ML build are you using?

ErwinH

Sorry, edited my post a bit.

I'm running: crop_rec_4k.2017Oct16.700D115

Lowering the bitrate (to 0.1x) for the video seems to help a bit. Recording for almost 3 minutes now.

Edit: I stopped the recording after 7 minutes.

Restarting a recording is hit or miss. Sometimes the live view is dark, sometimes it's the normal live view.

Danne

But is mlv_rec + mlv_snd itself giving problems with audio or is the problem only related to when recording h.264 proxy with mlv_rec + mlv_snd?

ErwinH

Mlv_lite with proxy is the combination I'm testing atm.

1280x720@10b ran for 8:22 before the camera crashed.

Mlv_rec + mlv_snd isn't usable because the audio won't stop.

ErwinH

Another issue is, the files (MVI_xxxx.DAT and IMG_xxxx.MLV) are empty when the camera crashes. This is using the MLV_lite module with H264 proxy enabled.

dfort

Quote from: ErwinH on October 17, 2017, 02:52:43 PM

Really? That was recently fixed on the crop_rec_4k branch. Make sure you are using the latest experimental build.

I haven't been able to get H.264 proxy working on anything except a 5D3.113.

Danne

dfort

More to test when I get home tonight.

dfort

Quote from: ErwinH on October 17, 2017, 02:52:43 PM

Just tested that same build and mlv_rec + mlv_snd is working fine. Checked out the various modes and audio is starting and stopping--no problem.

Ok, well there is a problem with mlv_rec starting recording when Movie crop mode is on:

The debug menu shows this:

This is not a new issue and I reported on it before. This only affects mlv_rec in the crop_rec_4k branch, mlv_lite is fine with Movie crop mode.

[EDIT] Yeah, I know. I should be trying to fix bugs like this instead of playing around with cameras that I don't own.  :o

ErwinH

Quick test, did a recording using mlv_rec with mlv_snd on the crop_rec_4k branch, same as two days ago.

I can record fine, and I end up with the following files:
M19-0910.M00
M19-0910.M01
M19-0910.M02
M19-0910.M03
M19-0910.M04
M19-0910.M05
M19-0910.M06
M19-0910.MLV

But when I stop the recording I get the famous "Audio failed to stop: 4" error, the RAW video option in the movie menu says "Stopping..." and ML is "stuck". Can't shutdown the camera, can't start another recording.

I was using the following settings:

Edit:
I think I found the source of the problem. I was recording in 8kHz (since I only need some audio to sync, and don't want to waste to much bandwidth) and when I stop the recording the camera returns "Audio failed to stop: 4". Returning the setting to 48kHz eliminates the problem.

dfort

Quote from: ErwinH on October 19, 2017, 09:29:07 AM
I think I found the source of the problem. I was recording in 8kHz (since I only need some audio to sync, and don't want to waste to much bandwidth) and when I stop the recording the camera returns "Audio failed to stop: 4". Returning the setting to 48kHz eliminates the problem.

Interesting. Never tested for that. You can try uncommenting the stubs but that breaks the audio meters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ErwinH

It was easier to switch to an earlier version which gave the same result. Recording at 48khz works fine, with error but works fine,recording at 8khz doesn't work. Output of the wave file from mlvdump is 2khz large or empty.

Haven't tested any other samplerates yet. Will do so tomorrow.

dfort

Reproduced using your settings:

Looks like the problems I reported with Movie crop mode.

http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5951.msg191830#msg191830

http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=19300.msg190836#msg190836

The EOSM is also affected so that means it might be the same on the 650D and 100D. Sorry, I'm not sure how to fix it. Did you say it is working on older crop_rec_4k builds? When did it break? (Which build works for you.)

ErwinH

I cannot put my finger on it. One thing I noticed is that the samplerate must be 48khz to work. With mlv lite I can only use 44k1 and 48khz. Otherwise there is no audio.

The different versions don't have much effect on the result other then the obvious.

Danne

I have the same issues describe around movie crop mode on the 100D. WHen I hit record it starts to flicker, nothing gets recorded, when deselecting raw video and trying to exit Movie crop mode I end up with freezed screen and needs a battery pull.

Lago0n

Hi,

What is the highest resolution possible for continuous 50/60p shooting right now? I downloaded the crop_rec_4k.2017Oct28.700D115 build and can see I need to enable crop_rec.mo (I can't seem to zoom in like the 5d so am not sure if this is needed) and mlv_lite for lossless 10bit files.

I'm on 720p 50p canon video settings and it does say 1736x688 @ 50/60p with 3x3 pixel binning on the experiments page but I'm am unable to get useable frames so far, they're all overexposed with pink dots on the highlights in the latest build of MLVproducer.

Thanks.

dfort

Quote from: Lago0n on October 28, 2017, 11:46:31 PM
...I'm am unable to get useable frames so far, they're all overexposed with pink dots on the highlights in the latest build of MLVproducer.

The crop_rec module on the 700D is still very experimental. The pink dots are the focus pixels that show up on raw video with certain cameras. The focus pixel map files for crop rec have gone through some changes recently and only a few applications are using the latest version.

You are using MLVProducer so you're most likely running Windows. Try mlv_dump on steriods to see if that removes the focus pixels. Also, give AWPStar some file samples so he can get the focus pixel map files for crop_rec working on MLVProducer.

Lago0n

Quote from: dfort on October 29, 2017, 03:06:43 PM
You are using MLVProducer so you're most likely running Windows. Try mlv_dump on steriods to see if that removes the focus pixels. Also, give AWPStar some file samples so he can get the focus pixel map files for crop_rec working on MLVProducer.

Thanks, I'll give mlv_dump on steriods a go and I've found the focus pixels are removed when I select the 1808 x 727 preset on MLVProducer.

ErwinH

Small issue:
When recording with internal microphone first and connecting a microphone in between shots, the audiometers still capture the internal microphone.

dfort

You mean if you plug in a microphone without restarting the camera it won't switch over to the microphone? Can you check and see if this happens without ML?
Here's how to get to the meters using the Canon menus:

madz

Hello 700D owners,

I'm thinking of buying 700D as main camera, and there is one thing I want to check first. Does it shoot 48+ fps 10/12/14bit RAW/ lossless? And if it does, what approx. resolution it can reach?

Thanks.
650D.104 | EOSM.202

dfort

Quote from: madz on November 05, 2017, 11:48:35 PM
Does it shoot 48+ fps 10/12/14bit RAW/ lossless?

If you have an EOSM you can try the crop_rec module and push up the FPS override a bit to approximate what you will be able to get on the 700D. Internally these cameras are very similar, same sensor, focus pixels, SD card write speed, etc. The big difference between the two cameras is being able to record mv1080 on the 700D but you can't push that to 48+ fps. What exactly are you expecting out of the 700D?