60D RAW video - it's working !!!

Started by marekk, May 24, 2013, 09:27:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

keikun007

can someone help me to choose a good sdcard for raw recording?

John Kesl

Quote from: keikun007 on August 03, 2013, 12:39:44 AM
can someone help me to choose a good sdcard for raw recording?

You can do it yourself by reading the information available to you in this forum.
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?board=40.0

And you'll also find, once you do some more research that the 60D is limited by it's own buffer to 21.3mb/s , therefore a fast card isn't needed.

keikun007

Quote from: John Kesl on August 03, 2013, 12:47:14 AM
You can do it yourself by reading the information available to you in this forum.
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?board=40.0

And you'll also find, once you do some more research that the 60D is limited by it's own buffer to 21.3mb/s , therefore a fast card isn't needed.

I asked here cause i saw someone commenting about bad behavior of sandisk with the 60d raw footage. i know the limitation of the 60d but it doesn't change the fact that some cards behave better than others, thus my request for some indication in a good direction specifically for this model.

John Kesl

Quote from: keikun007 on August 03, 2013, 01:18:25 AM
I asked here cause i saw someone commenting about bad behavior of sandisk with the 60d raw footage. i know the limitation of the 60d but it doesn't change the fact that some cards behave better than others, thus my request for some indication in a good direction specifically for this model.

Well that's a different question isn't it? To answer that I'd say. From my experience the Sandisk 95Mb/s pro cards do give consistent 21.3 Mb/s on the 60D where as the Sandisk 45Mb/s top out at 20.9Mb/s I know it's not much but every little bit counts. As far as any other manufacturer, I don't have any experience with hence, I don't know.

John Kesl

hi Marekk,
is it possible to integrate the changes from update 11 into the unified tree, because I like the black frame and lv_af switch in the raw menu but it doesn't exist in the unified ML Nightly 60D builds.
Thank you,
JK

marekk

Unified tree has no special raw_rec module for 60D, it's a modules used by all cameras...

Quote from: John Kesl on August 03, 2013, 08:08:57 AM
hi Marekk,
is it possible to integrate the changes from update 11 into the unified tree, because I like the black frame and lv_af switch in the raw menu but it doesn't exist in the unified ML Nightly 60D builds.
Thank you,
JK

Jack

Would anyone mind telling me what bit depth is the 60D raw, and also what are the recommended settings in FPS override (never mind this, found out that exact fps seems better). thanks

coopybook

Quote from: johanhenrikssn on June 08, 2013, 09:34:15 AM
I want to start by giving a huge thanks to everyone involved with Magic Lantern and this forum. It's impressing to see the tool progress.

I shot some footage that looks like it's sped up after post-processing it. It gives the impression that it was recorded in another, lower frame rate than 25, when looking at it after it's been post-processed. I did not have FPS override to ON in magic lantern, could this have affected it?

I used the june 3rd-version with 5D MKIII. Camera settings i Canons menu set to PAL and video set to 1080p 25fps ALL-I.

In post when converting to dng's with raw2dng.app, it says that it was shot with 25 fps. That's problably just camera metadata though? I tried the workflow with both After Effects and using Quicktime 7 via Photoshop. When importing the image sequence inside After Effects it came in as 30 fps. I interpreted the image sequence from 30 to 25 and created a comp from that. That's when I get that sped up look. Anyone else experienced this problem?

Hello!
I have the same problem on Canon 60D. Does anyone found solution?
I have tried all possible varieties, changes frame rates, NTSC,PAL, resolution, - results always the same.
Becouse of this problem i can't get together video and external recorded sound. That is realy bad!
If anyone have any ideas how to fix it, please share!!!
Thank You!

John Kesl

I've been doing some tests and such regarding the random corrupt frames with pink errors. I don't know if anyone else is experiencing the phenomenon but, what I've discovered is that the june 27, nightly build doesn't have this behavior. I've been keeping a pretty consistent catalog of raw nightly builds for 60d for the last 2 months or so and have noticed these corrupt frames come up every now and again in previous builds and not at all in others. In the latest builds, including update 11 and nightly builds of late the pink frames are pretty persistent. In the june 27 nightly build. 
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/1kitzbmanifb6sf/Tr-k0D5_Oq/ML-RAW-60D-hourly_2013-06-27_18-30.zip doesn't exhibit the phenomena.
I am no programmer nor do I know anything but to follow directions and do research when it comes to this stuff. But, If someone can take this info and do what you do to determine what's changed. As for the hot pixels, if you use Lightroom or PS to process your DNG's to tiff files ACR will remove them. But, as with the pink frames, even the amount of dead pixels has increased with the latest builds.
As for the frame rate issue. I might suggest making yourself a new ML card. Start with the stable release and build up.
I usually use http://nanomad.magiclantern.fm/nightly/ to get the latest goods and then put the appropriate raw auto exec.bin and modules folder from the raw nightly build.

Update: I took my own advice and rebuilt myself a fresh ML and put the 11th update files: 60d_111.sym and raw_rec.mo into the modules folder along with that autoexec.bin from update 11 onto the card and ran a test. and. no pinky frames hooray.

marekk

Last week I shot a lot of movies and I noticed every movie has 1-2 pink frames.. I disabled global draw, enabled 24fps but it didn't change anything. Movies shot with 1fps doesn't have pink frames.

... so now with update 11 you don't have pink frames ?

Quote from: John Kesl on August 04, 2013, 11:34:08 AM
I've been doing some tests and such regarding the random corrupt frames with pink errors. I don't know if anyone else is experiencing the phenomenon but, what I've discovered is that the june 27, nightly build doesn't have this behavior. I've been keeping a pretty consistent catalog of raw nightly builds for 60d for the last 2 months or so and have noticed these corrupt frames come up every now and again in previous builds and not at all in others. In the latest builds, including update 11 and nightly builds of late the pink frames are pretty persistent. In the june 27 nightly build. 
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/1kitzbmanifb6sf/Tr-k0D5_Oq/ML-RAW-60D-hourly_2013-06-27_18-30.zip doesn't exhibit the phenomena.
I am no programmer nor do I know anything but to follow directions and do research when it comes to this stuff. But, If someone can take this info and do what you do to determine what's changed. As for the hot pixels, if you use Lightroom or PS to process your DNG's to tiff files ACR will remove them. But, as with the pink frames, even the amount of dead pixels has increased with the latest builds.
As for the frame rate issue. I might suggest making yourself a new ML card. Start with the stable release and build up.
I usually use http://nanomad.magiclantern.fm/nightly/ to get the latest goods and then put the appropriate raw auto exec.bin and modules folder from the raw nightly build.

Update: I took my own advice and rebuilt myself a fresh ML and put the 11th update files: 60d_111.sym and raw_rec.mo into the modules folder along with that autoexec.bin from update 11 onto the card and ran a test. and. no pinky frames hooray.

Burni_

Wait a second... did they ported that "sensor crop" function from 600D to 60D? Can you shoot with the 3x zoom on a 60D?! Anyone? I just saw a few comments about it.

marekk

My 60D raw video shot last week in Prague (Czech Republic).
1600x680 scaled to 1920x816

John Kesl

Hi,
About the pink frame phenomenon that I was experiencing. What I did is, I took a fresh copy of ML2.3 Unified Stable release. added Next ML from nanomod but I keep original PDFs and all. then I add update 11. I do this on a fresh 3x format card. 1x in camera remove ML. then format in disk utility to mac os extended, then put it back in the camera and format low level once more. Then I put the new ML files. I am not getting any pink frames. I am shooting 12 fps exact, 1600@ 2.35:1. Camera is 60D , nikon lens, Extreme pro 95Mb/s card, S2 jpeg. 1920x1080 24fps is camera settings. @ 400 iso and 800 iso. I roll for 1.4gb. Before I wold get pink frame within 40 frames and then every 100 or so. Now I don't see it. So, try, make a new card with the ML 2.3, Next 60D and Update 11. remember to remove ML and reinstall with the new fresh stuff on your card. ( I know I am lazy and I wasn't updating NEXT and NIghtly 60d or Updates from the front of the post, probably loose bits messing around on a fragmented card, remember, copying your files from drive to drive is the same as defrag.)

Marekk mluvite cesky? Ste cech? ja taky.

Haliburton

Quote from: marekk on August 05, 2013, 10:38:42 AM
My 60D raw video shot last week in Prague (Czech Republic).
1600x680 scaled to 1920x816

Lovely work, Marekk!

I was looking for moire; seen at 1:42 in distant buildings, 2:18 seam in wall over seated guitarist, but not in overhead wires at 0:12.

Did you do anything to reduce aliasing?

What did you use for upscaling to 1920 wide?

I also especially appreciated the punctuation of the piano note with the changing traffic light at 3:49.

In cases where you have no choice but to hand-hold camera without even a monopod, you may want to consider making a string tripod:
https://startpage.com/do/search?q=%22string+tripod%22

I also especially like your time lapse sequences. I love that we can shoot at the full raw resolution possible on our cameras, with no card speed bottleneck, and without piling up wear-and-tear on the cameras with thousands of shutter actuations.

What frames per second did you use?

I shoot 0.214 fps to 6 fps at 1728x1152, which gives me some flexibility for slow tilt motions in post, to fit shorter aspect ratios.

Also, kudos in turning this project around so fast!

Haliburton

It has been written that there's Canon code for outputting over USB instead of to the card.

Here's a way that offers up to a theoretical 80 MB/s: even if it's real-world only 50 or 60 MB/s, it's a vast improvement over the 60D's poky SD card slot:

Quote from: tonybeccar on August 04, 2013, 09:56:16 AM
Excuse me! Is this DIY project useful for this?

http://www.davidhunt.ie/?p=2641

It's basically a raspberry pi which communicates with the camera via USB.. and can download the material on realtime to a hard drive.. I don't know if the USB speeds are that high.. but I think it's an interesting project.. the author managed to do lots of stuff with it.. maybe even could open a wide range of possibilites for magic lantern! (i'm just wondering lol)..

tool

Quote from: Haliburton on August 05, 2013, 08:43:43 PM
It has been written that there's Canon code for outputting over USB instead of to the card.

Here's a way that offers up to a theoretical 80 MB/s: even if it's real-world only 50 or 60 MB/s, it's a vast improvement over the 60D's poky SD card slot:
Real world not even close to 40mb/s. I used to test video recording on 450D with this utility : http://sourceforge.net/projects/eos-movrec/
Just recorded the LiveView feed on the computer.

marekk

Video was upscaled using AE. I shot 24fps and 1fps without any anti-aliasing filter.

Quote from: Haliburton on August 05, 2013, 07:56:59 PM
Lovely work, Marekk!

I was looking for moire; seen at 1:42 in distant buildings, 2:18 seam in wall over seated guitarist, but not in overhead wires at 0:12.

Did you do anything to reduce aliasing?

What did you use for upscaling to 1920 wide?

I also especially appreciated the punctuation of the piano note with the changing traffic light at 3:49.

In cases where you have no choice but to hand-hold camera without even a monopod, you may want to consider making a string tripod:
https://startpage.com/do/search?q=%22string+tripod%22

I also especially like your time lapse sequences. I love that we can shoot at the full raw resolution possible on our cameras, with no card speed bottleneck, and without piling up wear-and-tear on the cameras with thousands of shutter actuations.

What frames per second did you use?

I shoot 0.214 fps to 6 fps at 1728x1152, which gives me some flexibility for slow tilt motions in post, to fit shorter aspect ratios.

Also, kudos in turning this project around so fast!

marekk

Nie, nie mowie po czesku :)

.. and next raw video I'm going to shot on the top of Kilimanjaro :)

Quote from: John Kesl on August 05, 2013, 07:05:37 PM
Marekk mluvite cesky? Ste cech? ja taky.

Aeryk

Maybe I'm just not looking hard enough but I must ask, is there an equivalent to RawMagic for windows?

iamoui

So i tried out shooting in the 5X crop at 2240x954 and 2240x1080. Every other time i've tried to record raw in 5X crop the live view screen would be grayscale and laggy. I would hit record and the live view would freeze. After checking the footage, the frames would be all messed up.

Yesterday, however, I was able to record in 5X mode using Marekk's v2.3.NEXT.2013Jul27.60D111. Once I hit record the live view didn't freeze and I was able to view what I was filming. Looking back at the footage, apparently it didn't record with a 5X crop, but at the actual 28mm (that's the lens I was using). However, the live view screen was in 5x. Now, concerning the footage, I guess when recording in 5X the raw data is taken from a sensor crop and not line skipping? There's usually a lot of aliasing in fine details but there doesn't seem to be any here?.. Also a lot of pink frames..

RAWMagic -> Resolve -> Hooks LUT for one and TealOrange LUT (http://www.bmcuser.com/showthread.php?4929-NEW-Lut-TealOrange) for the other -> other minor adjustments -> 1920x1080 ProRes 422 HQ

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B9bV9eF2RQTOTkY0ZGlmQUJLNEU/edit?usp=sharing

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B9bV9eF2RQTOaWZCZmtlTDFVVmM/edit?usp=sharing

I'm assuming because of the limited buffer speed, etc. this won't ever be 100% reliable?

OrionnebelGalaxie17

Little comparison of H.264 vs Magic Lantern RAW ;)

payne

Quote from: coopybook on August 04, 2013, 03:21:35 AM
Hello!
I have the same problem on Canon 60D. Does anyone found solution?
I have tried all possible varieties, changes frame rates, NTSC,PAL, resolution, - results always the same.
Becouse of this problem i can't get together video and external recorded sound. That is realy bad!
If anyone have any ideas how to fix it, please share!!!
Thank You!
Regarding the 24 fps problem:

Hi guys I had the same problem with my 60D raw videos but I found the fix:

First: make sure you do have framerate override on and set to 23.98 or 24fps just to eliminate any in-camera issues.

Second: It took me a while to realize that the problem was with a default setting in after effects. Unless you tell it not to, AE will interpret all imported files as 30fps (which causes the speed up to 24fps material). To fix, right click on your footage in the project bin and choose: Interpret footage > main. Then input the correct framerate depending on what you sent your override at. VOILA

Here is a visual example that I found:
the setting:
http://i.stack.imgur.com/JehOz.png

the dialog window:
http://i.stack.imgur.com/z7Yy0.png

coopybook

Quote from: payne on August 07, 2013, 07:39:44 PM
Regarding the 24 fps problem:

Hi guys I had the same problem with my 60D raw videos but I found the fix:

First: make sure you do have framerate override on and set to 23.98 or 24fps just to eliminate any in-camera issues.

Second: It took me a while to realize that the problem was with a default setting in after effects. Unless you tell it not to, AE will interpret all imported files as 30fps (which causes the speed up to 24fps material). To fix, right click on your footage in the project bin and choose: Interpret footage > main. Then input the correct framerate depending on what you sent your override at. VOILA

Here is a visual example that I found:
the setting:
http://i.stack.imgur.com/JehOz.png

the dialog window:
http://i.stack.imgur.com/z7Yy0.png

This is work! Thank you so much! I thought i will never find solution.
Thank you payne again, and all ML team for this opportunity to shoot RAW!

bjacklee

What is our chance of getting a dual iso features? :-\ even just for photos would be very cool.. :)

tool

Quote from: bjacklee on August 10, 2013, 02:45:45 PM
What is our chance of getting a dual iso features? :-\ even just for photos would be very cool.. :)
Dual iso, it's hardware related, dual amp only on 5DmarkIII and 7D. Read the PDF alex made.

By mistake I ruined my ML installation I had updating with builds posted here. (Never ever change modes on Dial while is formating the SD card!).

So I set up again with update 11 without trying.

Shooting sports without clouds, direct sun light and just 5-7 seconds burst and lots of people it's challenging.

I just converted everything with RawMagic.

Fast checking, I had Pink frames ... (I think I shoot with LV_RAW_AF on ). I need further testing again. Just shooting raw for fun.

I don't like Shooting RAW stills and RAW video, I found out couple of shots later that I was shooting jpg s2. I was so shure I changed that value...

Tomorrow I'll post some examples.