The CinemaDNG Discussion (raw2cdng)

Started by chmee, May 23, 2013, 10:46:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ottoga

@Kharak

A link to mlv_dump can be found here. http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=7122.msg59525#msg59525

If you are a Windows or Linux user:

• Copy the relevant binary into your source mlv files directory
  • Open a command window (I always do this in administrator mode)
  • Change directory to your source MLV files directory
  • As a first time user, run mlv_dump without any parameters to display a list of available parameters.

As you are trying to create some cut down versions of your MLV files the following run string should achieve this:

mlv_dump -o output_filename -f [nr of frames] -c -l compression_level(0-9) <inputfile_name>

eg:  mlv_dump -o M20-1234_new.mlv -f 50 -c -l 9 m20-1234.mlv

The value of the number of frames in the -f parameter is optional.  The more frames that you extract the larger the output file.

The -c and -l parameters are optional but will reduce the size of the output file and as such, the time required to download it for @chmee.

EOS 7D.203, EFS 55-250mm, EF 75-300 III, Tamron 16-300 DiII VC PZD Macro, SpeedLite 580EX II.

reddeercity

@Kharak ,  Use chmee's  mlvdiag.1.0.1 No need to use cmd line .
You can make a mini MLV file (55Mb) from any size , there a reason why chmee made this program.

chmee

[size=2]phreekz * blog * twitter[/size]

Kharak

So I took at closer look at the difference between Vertical Fix ON and OFF.

First thing I noticed, (think I've read someone else say this too) is that Vertical Fix ON, makes the DNG's darker than the ones with Vertical Banding off. I have to raise the exposure with about +0.35 EV's to match them.

2nd thing I noticed is that the shadows of the Vertical Fix ON DNG's have a Magenta/purple cast. Which is not so easy to remove. Looking back and forth between Non-Vertical Fix and Fixed DNG's, the Non-vertical fix DNG's look much nicer because the shadows are truly black and overall shadow colour look natural.

Maybe this scene is not the best to illustrate the Vertical Stripes because I have a hard time seeing them. I deleted the other ones I was working with which had clearly visible vertical stripes... Stupid me.

But I will be on a lookout for shots with more visible vertical stripes. I think shooting in to light will emphasize the Vertical Stripes.

oh well:

https://mega.nz/#!REQFSLBC!1uvZCODlMYh2udDqeskf_dj-Uh_E8SQPs83-S52-KkU

5D MK III
MLV+Audio
1920x1038

2016-02-29 Build
once you go raw you never go back

visiono

what are min system requirements for working with ml raw dng files from canon 50d or other video work? I was thinking of using lightroom for grading and editing offline then grading. is that possible. can i get away with core2duo and 4g of ram?

Lester_J

Hello,
I have a problem. Im using 5DMIII , ML 1.2.3 ,  win 8.1 64x. I recorded 2:13 min/sec video - 3331 frames (shown by MlRawViewer 1.3.3) .
When I downloaded the CF card (SanDisk Extreme PRO, 160 mb/s, 64GB) there were only these files:
M08-2042.MLV (3,99GB)
M08-2042.M01 (3,99GB)
M08-2042.M02(3,27GB)
M08-2042.MRX(74KB)
After searching the forum I think Im missing the *.M00 file. 
When Im trying to convert the MLV files through MLRV Converter 1.9.1 - I could get only 1182 frames out of it.
After conversion through MlRawViewer v 1.3.3 - DNG s are lossless Compressed (2MB DNG s instead of 4MB) - I could get only 2520 frames out of the footage.
raw2cdng 1.7.5 - was recognizing and exporting only 1182 frames.
After I renamed the *.M01 file to *.M00 and *.M02 to *.M01 raw2cdng 1.7.5 could recognize all 3331 frames and could export them to 16bit maximized CDNG format.

Questions:
Is this the right way how to do it?
Is there some wrong setting in my  5DMIII camera that does not create the *.M00 file?
Im missing the *.M00 file in about 90% of all footages.
Why is this random creating of *.M00 happening?

Thanx a lot for answer.

Kharak

Check your SD card, if you have Split CF/SD recording enabled, you're missing m00 file might be on the SD card.

If you play the file in MLRawViewer, do you get random black frames? If so, then that is a good indicator that you have been split recording to the CF and SD card, just copy all the files from the SD and CF card to the same folder and do it again.

And the .mrx file is just a profile for MLrawviewer for each MLV. No need to keep it.

Lester_J

Thanx a lot for a quick answer.
Now I know what to do helped a lot. :)

zerocool22

Hey Guys,

I drop 30 video's into the RAW2CDNG 1.7.4 on windows 10. And click export to a specific folder. But afterwards I see there are no seperate folders created for each file. Offcours Resolve and Premiere are seeing it just as one big file. How can I convert each file to a a separte folder, so I can select sepatere files/video in my NLE.

Thanks!

GutterPump

@chmee

Do you think it's possible for you if you have time to design a new version of raw2cdng with the "bad pixels" fix option ?

I'm asking you this feature request in reference to those links and the new vertical stripes fix :

https://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/pull-requests/732/5d3-attempt-to-fix-vertical-stripes-so-it/diff
QuoteSince the bad pixels are easier and faster to correct in postprocessing, what about choosing the image with bad pixels, but without stripes?

http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=17021.msg171179#msg171179

Your converter software is for me the more practice and fast in personnal and pro use, hope it will possible !

Thanks you !

chmee

@zerocool22
lately.. generally it should export into seperate folders. did you changed the folder/filenaming-pattern?

@GutterPump
i'm very sorry. i hadnt had the time since half a year to patch the code - and i believe, i wont anymore. sorry sorry.

regards chmee

grafdeik

Hi! How can I rename the output file through raw2cdng v.1.6-1.7? Davinchi Resolve converts individual clips as one file and it constantly rewrites. For exemple, i use raw2cdng v.1.4.9.7 - with those converted output names i have no problem.

File: M05-1441
raw2cdng v.1.6-1.7  = M05-151000001
raw2cdng v.1.4.9.7  = M051441H_C0001_B16.000001

I can't undestand  - why after "deliver" in Resolve I get only one file -  M05-000000000???

allemyr

Okey Chmee! Thanks again for a great app think RAW2CDNG 1.6.1 is very reliable thanks for that! Us it all the time! Afraid of windows 10 though :)

snep

​​Hello, a i am young operator from Russia

i really like your software but there is a problem

why are different colors preview raw2cdng and worspace Adobe Premier Pro CC?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0By3Yfa2Y4BnSYXNBUE1NQzZENWc/view

chmee

@snep
i dont see a problem. sorry. i coded a simple previewer. demosaicing and color rendering is not that easy with raw-files. so finally my output does its job not that bad :)

allemyr

Hi again Chmee,

I'am about to upgrade to Windows 10 Professional from Windows 7 Professional. Don't really want to do that but I have to upgrade/downgrade   :-[
Have used your Raw2CDNG app for a really long time now, I think my 5D3 workflow is quite easy to use because of your app.

I use version 1.6.1 since some time back and just for fun tested the speed between that and the 1.7.5 application.

1.6.1: 15 seconds for a bunch of MLV files
1.7.5: 50 seconds for the same bunch of MLV files.

Maybe doing something wrong though.

The settings i always use is only ticking the CDNG 16bit maximized button. I think I don't need "Chroma smoothing 2x2", "no proxy" or "vertical banding" feutures.

I'am not working with cinematography at al just using to making short films just for fun. And yes I can't think of any other camera right now to use then the 5D3 with ML RAW :)

https://vimeo.com/172286896

Any tips for using RAW2CDNG version 1.6.1 on Windows 10 is warmly welcome. How many hours days would it take to code it for Windows 10? I guess that it's quite time consuming.

Best

/ Karl Allemyr

chmee

@allemyr
is v1.6.1 not working under win10? will try that for myself.. (but by now im in paris, back home in two days)

reddeercity

@chmee versions 1.4.9 to 1.7.4 work under windows 10 . I tested different PC app's under Windows 10 Here

allemyr

Sorry for all the hassel. I did just read in a thread that one had problem with Windows 10 and RAW2CDNG so I thought it was a issue.

RAW2CDNG works like a charm in Windows 10 Pro don't know what the other user did wrong. Was a main thing to check before upgrading to Windows 10.
Ok then, thanks for a great app again, really sorry that I made big thing about it.

chmee

i never thought, i ll do something on the code. and i dont know, if someone's still using this tool. Now in v1.7.9 there is 10 and 12bit support. Tested with the samples from @danne (thx)

http://www.phreekz.de/wordpress/2014/04/magiclantern-raw2cdng-1-5-0/

regards chmee

Kharak

I still have raw2cdng at the core of my workflow. This update is a warm welcome.

If you ever decide to break your own promise again, could you take a look at what happens to the Metadata after conversion?

chmee

i'm sure you wrote it once. could you give me a short info, what metadata you want to see inside the dngs?

Kharak

I find it very useful to have all the lens information, lens model, focal lenght, @focal lenght, @focus, f-stop, iso, shutter speed etc. Its very helpful with older footage.

Surin Dmitriy

Quote from: chmee on December 21, 2016, 03:31:28 PM
i'm sure you wrote it once. could you give me a short info, what metadata you want to see inside the dngs?

FPS and Color temperature. P.S. thanks a lot for adding support of 10 12 bit
5D3

Tai.Fighter

Wow what a Christmas gift of an update. This came JUST in time for a little holiday personal project! Thank you so much!!!