The CinemaDNG Discussion (raw2cdng)

Started by chmee, May 23, 2013, 10:46:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

andy kh

it will be great that we will be using only one application after implementing vertical bending and chroma smoothing. for now i m using atleast three applications in my workflow
1.convert to raw
2.remove pink dots
2.raw2cdng
5D Mark III - 70D

chmee

so. i've done a git with the sourcecode. therefore its now free software (this software will never cost a dime, its up to you to donate me some cents). i hope, some of you will help me to optimize code, to put some new options into it and to still let me learn the next stage of coding :) tried to comment most points.

https://bitbucket.org/chmee/raw2cdng

(i'm now a little bit tired, have to take my time for my children and for two other projects)

regards chmee
[size=2]phreekz * blog * twitter[/size]

Nautilus

Quote from: chmee on April 18, 2014, 09:59:13 PM
so. i've done a git with the sourcecode. therefore its now free software (this software will never cost a dime, its up to you to donate me some cents). i hope, some of you will help me to optimize code, to put some new options into it and to still let me learn the next stage of coding :) tried to comment most points.

(i'm now a little bit tired, have to take my time for my children and for two other projects)

regards chmee

hey chmee,

Is it possible for you to integrate a pink dot removing feature? I love the fact that cdng files can be directly imported into premiere pro thus simplifying the workflow. But i can't benefit from that because my 650D procuses raw footage with pink dots so i have to use g3gg0's raw2dng to convert from raw to dng and then import into AE and then into premiere... That takes too long and some quality lost in the process.

In this thread: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5404.0 g3gg0 released a raw2dng executable that does chroma smoothing which removes pink dots as well.

Canon 650D w/18-55 Kit lens | Sigma 30mm f1.4 | CarrySpeed VF-4 Viewfinder | Rode VideoMic Pro | Manfrotto MVH502A Fluid Head + MVT502AM Tripod System

chmee

please read some more thread entries. the last 10 will give you the answer.

Nautilus

Quote from: chmee on April 18, 2014, 11:37:00 PM
please read some more thread entries. the last 10 will give you the answer.

ok my bad. i hope you solve license related issues soon.
Canon 650D w/18-55 Kit lens | Sigma 30mm f1.4 | CarrySpeed VF-4 Viewfinder | Rode VideoMic Pro | Manfrotto MVH502A Fluid Head + MVT502AM Tripod System

ted ramasola

Quote from: Nautilus on April 19, 2014, 12:36:57 AM
ok my bad. i hope you solve license related issues soon.

If you read the previous posts, it actually said there are non.  :)
5DmkII  / 7D
www.ramasolaproductions.com
Texas

Nautilus

Quote from: ted ramasola on April 19, 2014, 12:40:59 AM
If you read the previous posts, it actually said there are non.  :)

Sorry i couldn't see that part. He says he has to ask alex, g3gg0 and others to use their codes. And Alex replied it's ok.

Quotenope, it means, if i "free" my software, i can use other gpl-licensed sourcecode as well. (so give me one or two days)

chmee

:) you quoted the interesting part..
Quote..so. i've done a git with the sourcecode. therefore its now free software ..

kaco

Quote from: chmee on April 18, 2014, 09:59:13 PM

regards chmee

Bravo! Thanks a lot! I hope will see the vertical banding checkbox soon! :))

anandkamal

i dropped 4 .raw files, each 6-11gb. The converter crashed. something needs to fixed? thanks

chmee

better informations lead to better solutions.

WHEN does it crash? while dragdrop? while preview? while convert? Does it affect one file? did you tested, if maybe one's corrupt?

painya

Chmee, here is an issue I have encountered with my RAW video. Looks to be aliasing? Note: other shots do not see this.
Details:
50d
Lexar 1000x (new)
1568x882
Processed individually
Running CDNG version 1.4.9.7
Directly imported into Premier
Good footage doesn't make a story any better.

painya

Here's the h.264 equivalent if you are at all interested.

Frank7D

@painya,

DSLR video is subject to aliasing due to line-skipping. RAW video does not negate this issue. The only way you can avoid it is to use crop mode.

painya

Quote from: Frank7D on April 21, 2014, 12:56:12 AM
@painya,

DSLR video is subject to aliasing due to line-skipping. RAW video does not negate this issue. The only way you can avoid it is to use crop mode.
Right! Thank you very much. I forgot that it had to be in crop mode to fix that.
Silly me.

tonybeccar

Quote from: painya on April 21, 2014, 12:57:58 AM
Right! Thank you very much. I forgot that it had to be in crop mode to fix that.
Silly me.

Aliasing and moire are much more aggresive because you're shooting at a lower resolution than it's max also!

painya

I was shooting at the 50d's max no-crop resolution for RAW.

anandkamal

chmee, it crashed while converting the .raw files to cdng.. i did nothing, did not even try to preview. Just drag and dropped, clicked convert, it processed for a few seconds and got crashed, the 1.5.0 beta 2 version

rrrmusic

The application crashed with new mlv nightly builds (Canon 5d Mk3 113). Tried to convert a old mlv from March 15 and worked fine. The new MLV that i recorded with recently nightly builds the application crashed with only drag and drop.

ted ramasola

Though I was able to convert all my 48 mlvs to cdngs heres my notes on v1.5.0beta2

1. Took me 2 times to initially start the app. 1st it crashed.

2. I was able to drag n drop all 48 files but while converting I was moving my mouse over in active buttons and it crashed at the 45th file.

3. I repeated the process this time I left it alone, it successfully converted. But it has a new name structure which presents a problem for me in resolve.
with v 1.4.9.6 the files can alternate dng and wav in the media bin in resolve making it easy to click the audio link button to sync dng and wav files. This version however will not display in alternate with dng and wav.

I look forward that you will finally be able to link the wav and dngs with your upcoming version.

Best of luck!
5DmkII  / 7D
Texas

chmee

minutes ago i put a beta3 on the server.

done:
* wav files have now an according timecode for resolve fi
* some more infos in debug-log
* some more variables for the filenamegenerator. [D2] is interesting for resolve filenames
[C]_1_[D2]_C0000(_)

found a bug seconds ago:
* an "Argument out of Range" exception leads to crash. investigating right now..
* inconsistency with raw-files - if they re wrong shown in preview, they will be converted wrong.
* (fixed. will be in beta4 - if there are more than one .raw, all .raw's take the blocklistdata of the last one, silly bug..)

ted ramasola

Chmee!!!!

AUDIO AUTO SYNC NOW WORKS!!!!  AAARRRGGGHHHHH!!!

Thank you!
5DmkII  / 7D
Texas

Jakobmen

Quote from: ted ramasola on April 23, 2014, 09:34:28 PM
Chmee!!!!

AUDIO AUTO SYNC NOW WORKS!!!!  AAARRRGGGHHHHH!!!

Thank you!

how you doing this lol ?
Canon 5D3

dubzeebass

Quote from: ted ramasola on April 23, 2014, 09:34:28 PM
AUDIO AUTO SYNC NOW WORKS!!!!

Confirmed and replicated :-)

Great job, chmee! Now if only I could make it work under Wine.

ted ramasola

5DmkII  / 7D
Texas