50D Raw video

Started by Andy600, May 22, 2013, 03:40:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fromdecember

Curious question I just thought about.

Would shooting with a 'flat' color profile on top of the Raw video help the grading process instead of shooting the Raw with the default profile, then making it flat via ACR or BMD Film on Resolve?

goldenchild9to5

Quote from: araucaria on July 30, 2013, 01:01:42 AM
Is ETTR still not working one the 50D with raw video?
I've been shooting in crop mode and noise is really a problem, don't even think of iso 200 unless you can severly overexpose, that's why I'm asking. It's  a pain in the ass having to turn historgrams on and off before everyshot. Turning off automaticly globaldraw would help a lot,too. Maybe this is already implemented and I haven't noticed.

It's working but not as we would hope for because it's mainly was designed for Picture shooting from what I've read from sources like @Andy600 & @1% .  You are not alone noise is really making it hard for me to shoot in low light it's just an overwhelming amount of noise.  your right ISO 100 / 200 are way too noisy.  I was messing around with some 5D Mark II footage.. the noise is way way less than on the 50D.  I know the 50D was not even designed to shot video, and now having it shoot Raw is incredible, but there is something about shooting Raw that brings overwhelming amount of noise.  My thing is we have to use it for what it is & make the best out of it  8)

Andy600

If you are shooting low light scenes at ISO 100/200 you will of course get noise because you will need to boost exposure a lot in post just to get the mids into anything like a useable place. You wouldn't do that for stills, you would increase ISO which increases the light sensitivity of the camera and the same applies for raw video.

Don't be afraid to shoot at higher ISO values and let the camera do what it was designed to do. There will still be noise but it's not too bad and can be cleaned up in post. I've had nice looking shots at ISO 3200+ where the noise looked quite nice (especially when just the chroma noise was removed in post).

The 5D MkII's sensor is a lot more sensitive than the 50D so low light performance will be better but the 50D is still useable at higher ISOs. You just need to experiment  ;)

@Araucaria - Tragic Lantern has a feature to auto-disable Global Draw when you hit record. You should be able to shoot with the histogram on without a big hit to performance. ETTR is a method of shooting. If you are referring to the auto-ETTR module, yes, it does work in the 50D but you shouldn't use it for video. Expose with the raw histogram.
Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

Andy600

Quote from: fromdecember on July 30, 2013, 09:02:57 PM
Curious question I just thought about.

Would shooting with a 'flat' color profile on top of the Raw video help the grading process instead of shooting the Raw with the default profile, then making it flat via ACR or BMD Film on Resolve?

Raw is raw. There is no picture style. It's raw sensor data ::)

You can apply whatever curve, LUT or look you want in post. 
Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

BT

"Mirror Lake" Canon 50D Raw Anamorphic - 4:3 at 1344 X 1008

For this video, I shot with a faster CF Card (100 MBS) that gave me 1344 X 1008 resolution at 24 FPS in 4:3 mode without skipping frames. I could shoot for at least 6 minutes (I didn't try shooting longer). I did my color correction with Adobe Photoshop and converted to 2688 X 1008 in Compressor for Vimeo. Anyone else shooting in 4:3 mode? Can resolution go higher than 1344 X 1008? Thank you.

araucaria

Quote from: Andy600 on July 30, 2013, 09:29:24 PM
@Araucaria - Tragic Lantern has a feature to auto-disable Global Draw when you hit record. You should be able to shoot with the histogram on without a big hit to performance. ETTR is a method of shooting. If you are referring to the auto-ETTR module, yes, it does work in the 50D but you shouldn't use it for video. Expose with the raw histogram.
I mentioned because someone with a 5dmkiii recomended shooting with ETTR on, I thought maybe it set the aperture to the maximum level without burning after taking a shot and before starting to record.
Anyway, I'll try tragic lantern. Btw, is there a way to get rid of the black borders in tragic lantern? I guess it's trivial but I didn't have time to look for the setting.

Andy600

@araucaria - Press the INFO button a few times

arrinkiiii

Quote from: pinger007 on July 30, 2013, 01:29:38 AM
@arrinkiiii

The fireworks were done in After Effects using a mix of Red Giant's Particular and some of Video Copilot's Action Essentials II for the smoke effects.  I used a mix of Chroma Key and rotoscoping to mask the fireworks to the sky. 

https://vimeo.com/71108800

Glad you enjoyed it.

Very nice made indeed. Thank you for sharing your work  :D

madmats

Soo, I stopped following this thread at like page 80 or something, could someone give me an update on what version people are using and getting the best results? Is it the Nightly Build-version?

Thanks!

KahL

So now that the contest is under way, I can finally show this off.
This was shot w/ last month's 50D build (most shots) and also an earlier 60D build. Slo mo was done on 720p video on the 60D as well.
Even in the earlier builds, the color depth, latitude and flexibility was second to none.

goldenchild9to5

Quote from: KahL on July 31, 2013, 04:22:56 PM
So now that the contest is under way, I can finally show this off.
This was shot w/ last month's 50D build (most shots) and also an earlier 60D build. Slo mo was done on 720p video on the 60D as well.
Even in the earlier builds, the color depth, latitude and flexibility was second to none.

Great job Kahl footage looks amazing.  I got a question the low light shots like the one where his seating in a room waiting, and when his walking out to fight was that shot on the 50D? 

ike

Hello!

All the frames in each of my shot is totally covered in pink hue.
Im using trancend udma 7 64gb 1000X card.
And I was using raw2dng.

I tried formatting, re-installing and warming up the card but nothing helped. all frames are pink.

any ideas?

dogmydog

Quote from: ike on July 31, 2013, 09:49:36 PM
Hello!

All the frames in each of my shot is totally covered in pink hue.
Im using trancend udma 7 64gb 1000X card.
And I was using raw2dng.

I tried formatting, re-installing and warming up the card but nothing helped. all frames are pink.

any ideas?

Are your files larger then 4GB? If so, are you merging them before using raw2dng?
I had a similar problem, and it turned out I was having problems merging spanned files into one big raw file.
Opposite of Sex
www.oppositeofsex.com
Canon 50D, 60D and 7D

ike

Thank u! i think it worked out now. i merged the files together and extracted the dngs with raw2dng
BUT i had some frames that had size of 0bytes??. I could open them and they showed a frame that was intact.
any ideas?

KahL

Quote from: goldenchild9to5 on July 31, 2013, 08:59:16 PM
Great job Kahl footage looks amazing.  I got a question the low light shots like the one where his seating in a room waiting, and when his walking out to fight was that shot on the 50D?

Yeah it was. I think I stuck to about 1600 ASA for those shots. I'm not a big fan of super high ISO ranges unless it's absolutely required, so I tend to embrace the shadows and express the work with the smaller light sources. I find it gives a lot of personality to the shot rather than blasting to say, 6400 ASA, y'know.

Bah, Cinematography geekery :-p

ike

Could someone explain me how to get 1:1 cropmode out of my 50d since i dont understand if its the same thing as 5x zoom or something else? explaining the 3x zoom would be nice aswell.

derkiki

When you are zoomed in 5x you record in crop mode which is 3x. The quality is great but the problem is that you can't see the actual framing. You see 5x but record 3x. With tragiclantern you can get a hacked low fps grayscale preview.

@KahL Well done. Great job! Hope you win the contest.

ike

OK thank you!

I have another problem.
All my shots have WB value of 4654 when i extract them with raw2dng. I have tried different values in-camera but nothing helps. So all my shots are a bit to the purple.

Any ideas?

araucaria

Quote from: ike on August 01, 2013, 11:23:56 AM
OK thank you!

I have another problem.
All my shots have WB value of 4654 when i extract them with raw2dng. I have tried different values in-camera but nothing helps. So all my shots are a bit to the purple.

Any ideas?
That's the way it is, use raw2cdng which fixes it for you.

burton-fzz

hello everyone

I've got issue with VERY BAD MOIRE.

Tryed to reintall several time ML and canon firmware but nothing works. I use latest bild of raw modules for my Canon 50d.

Canon 50d Raw ML non-crop MOIRE under spoiler[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

Canon 50d Raw ML non-crop MOIRE 400% crop[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

should moire be SO HEAVY? even eyes don't look natural - red dots are everywhere!

Here are test chards with moire -Hell where pixel DIES[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

Any idea?

But I have good news. transcend compact flash 32gb 600x (udma7 and "20" labeled) reach full non-crop resolution (1584x892 with global draw turned on and everything all turned off (even spot meter!)) and it works great. Continuously! Here where I am (Russian Federation, Moscow) there are no komputebay x1000 card in stores, but 600x card can be bought really easily.
in crop mode it looks like it record continuously 1856x776 too!

And good news #2. Image in raw gets REALY close to Red One MX quality!
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

Red Video was shot in 4,5k resolution mode, in red code 36, donwscaled in resolve to 1920x1080p with amazing Angenieux 30-80 lens at T8, ISO 800 to reach whole dynamic range and be comparable with canon 50d ISO 100 with T4 and simple canon 28-105mm 3,5-4.5 lens. everything at 30mm focal range. light setup was 1000w octadome dedolight for key light, and 2 spot dedolight 200w for fill and rim light. no color grading, only white balance, and red color 3 red gamma 3 DRX 1 for Red One MX, and RAWMAGIC->resolve and hunters 5dm3 LUT in BMD colorspace with highlight recovery and -0.19 exposure.

Andy600

@burton-fzz - The problem is with Resolve. It's demosaicing isn't great for ML DNG or CDNG. Try using Rawtherapee with the AMaZE algorithm. You'll still have moire issues but not the multi-coloured and obvious maze patterns. 

burton-fzz

Quote from: Andy600 on August 01, 2013, 03:59:28 PM
@burton-fzz - The problem is with Resolve. It's demosaicing isn't great for ML DNG or CDNG. Try using Rawtherapee with the AMaZE algorithm. You'll still have moire issues but not the multi-coloured and obvious maze patterns.

thnks!!!!! never heard about rawtherapee...

i'll try right now!

araucaria

Quote from: burton-fzz on August 01, 2013, 04:04:41 PM
thnks!!!!! never heard about rawtherapee...

i'll try right now!
After effects also works better than resolve.

arnob

Hi Magic Lantern fellows,

I decided to buy a 50d recently thanks to this awesome new feature ML team brought to us, many thanks for that!
I have tried several builds but still can not manage to control the shutter speed in LV even with FPS Overide on. I am probably missing something... Anyone could help me?

Thank you.

EDIT: Sorry I just figured out that the solution was exosure override! Thanks anyway for your job!

rommex

Quote from: burton-fzz on August 01, 2013, 03:52:32 PM

But I have good news. transcend compact flash 32gb 600x ....

Transcend 600x 32gb is well known as a stable card for 50D full frame. More than that, in crop mode it runs continuously at 1600x900. You can easily search in this thread to find out other "news" about this card  ;)

Also, Komputerbay is absent in a number of countries. But some delivery services can help. Russia must have them, I suppose.