50D Raw video

Started by Andy600, May 22, 2013, 03:40:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

menoc

Quote from: Andy600 on June 20, 2013, 11:52:16 PM
Some FULL HD (1920 x 1080p) raw video footage I shot this evening on the 50D. (no audio)

The original is NOT scaled. It's shot at 1920 x 1080 24p

Download the original. Vimeo has scaled this to 720p because I'm cheap and haven't got a Vimeo Plus account  ;D

https://vimeo.com/68807509/download?t=1371767517&v=172469260&s=c3b55aa4afede69ce86a0f5f3b155de7

This is using A1ex's buffer sorting method and I get about 6-10 seconds per clip (1080p) on a Transcend 600x CF card. Not bad ;)

Nice. Moire is non-existant and there's little aliasing . . .

rommex

Quote from: menoc on June 21, 2013, 12:34:24 AM
use 1%'s and turn on "Don't click me!"

which one is that? thanks

Andy600

Quote from: menoc on June 21, 2013, 12:39:31 AM
Nice. Moire is non-existant and there's little aliasing . . .

Thanks.

The aliasing is my fault probably. Too much sharpening  ;D

Here's some frame grabs: http://imgbox.com/g/LefsA41Eo9
Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

rockfallfilms

@Andy600 It looks nice, very filmic. I tried crop mode but didn't find it very practical to use as I could only see the middle part of the frame.

a1ex

Can you upload the DNGs for the sample frame grabs?

Andy600

Quote from: rockfallfilms on June 21, 2013, 01:11:26 AM
@Andy600 It looks nice, very filmic. I tried crop mode but didn't find it very practical to use as I could only see the middle part of the frame.

Grayscale preview shows the recordable frame size so you don't have to guess. Set it in the raw module ;)
Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

1%

Gonna try hack + new buffer method... hopefully maxes it out.

80.1 solid.

Andy600

Quote from: a1ex on June 21, 2013, 01:14:50 AM

Yep. I had already rendered H.264 to Premier and frame grabbed there but I'll try to find the corresponding DNGs - I converted to 12-bit Cinema DNGs

briwil

Quote from: Andy600 on June 21, 2013, 01:14:57 AM

Grayscale preview shows the recordable frame size so you don't have to guess. Set it in the raw module ;)

I know I asked about this yesterday...
I tried out Grayscale preview- but just to be sure I'm not missing something- its really only useful for framing up a shot before you begin recording, no?
Once I hit record, the screen's frame rate went down to maybe updating once every second or two, not really useable if you're shooting people or moving objects and trying to keep focus.

rockfallfilms

Quote from: Andy600 on June 21, 2013, 01:14:57 AM

Yeah I've got that switched on but the liveview image still differs from recorded one. Maybe I need a different build, I'm using 19th unified.

Andy600

Quote from: a1ex on June 21, 2013, 01:14:50 AM

Here you go a1ex:

http://we.tl/ua04qhB1wp 12bit CDNG & Post frame grab Jpegs

Andy600

Quote from: rockfallfilms on June 21, 2013, 01:27:35 AM
Yeah I've got that switched on but the liveview image still differs from recorded one. Maybe I need a different build, I'm using 19th unified.

Have you set snap to center 5x in zoom box settings? Then press joystick in zoom mode to center on the crop area.

Andy600

Quote from: 1% on June 21, 2013, 01:16:31 AM
Gonna try hack + new buffer method... hopefully maxes it out.

That's what I was hoping you would say :D

1%

Its up. I guess will see 81 when a1ex updates the strategy some more.

Andy600

Quote from: 1% on June 21, 2013, 01:35:57 AM
Its up. I guess will see 81 when a1ex updates the strategy some more.

I'm was going to bed but can't resist the urge to try this :D

1%

It takes 5 minutes :)

I'm tired too and its only 6:40PM

BTW, wow card gets eaten up fast recording big raw... on an SD card it lasts a while, here not so much.

Andy600

Quote from: 1% on June 21, 2013, 01:46:42 AM
It takes 5 minutes :)

I'm tired too and its only 6:40PM

BTW, wow card gets eaten up fast recording big raw... on an SD card it lasts a while, here not so much.

wow! Getting 360 frames now compared to 160 - 170 with buffer-sorting only  :o Frames look fine!

Buffer sorting write speeds average 57 - 59MB/s. With this I'm steady at 72MB/s on a 600x card. Crazy shit!

Would be good to have those 6 lines back  ;) or I guess 1088 to round it up?

Pissed I can't shoot more tomorrow and I bet my Komputerbay 1000x will arrive too.

Truly amazing work guys. Thankyou  :)

1%

I'll try to add full max sizes back. This writing strategy is pretty good for longevity.

GregoryOfManhattan

posted a new unified (the main magic-lantern branch used by many other cameras) based build.
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=6554.msg51887#msg51887
gets 220-250 1920x1080 (23.976) frames.

@KahL - Kahleem - which build were you using when that happened on your shoot?  please report back, so devs and users know where problems and instabilities may lie.

@Andy600 very many changes and the code differences between the tragic and the unified are substantial.

what settings are required to get to the 80s (i liked 90s music much better anyway)?
just tried the tragic [50D] 80point1.zip and i'm getting less speed than on unified - 150-200 frames at 1920x1072 (23.976)

can't wait to see the speed - thanks 1% and a1ex.

EDIT: just recorded 300plus 1920x1080 (23.976) frames with this unified.
earlier build today has really cool graphs - a plot of buffer overflow so you can see it as you hit your maximum.
recommend the most recent build - but if you want to see it -the build with the graphs is: https://bitbucket.org/GregoryOfManhattan/magic-lantern/downloads/ml-2013Jun20.50D.109.go.unified.90c50ab005b7.zip

1%

You have to kill the dialog timers with don't click me and then get into LV.. second record speeds up. Do first in regular mode before you zoom.

1200+ frames of 1920x1072
1000+ 1984x1056
1920x1040 - supposed to be continuous but my card filled

GregoryOfManhattan

thank you ;D - had to do the regular mode first.
855, 448, 1261 frames - yes that is much faster than 300.
why are the module settings included with preview canon?
is that the recommendation?

1%

The edmac hack doesn't work on 5D2/50D.. auto uses the grayscale preview which eats CPU.

GD off@record and alternate photo and movie seems to give me best speeds.

Only getting 12-16GB of the 1920x1040 at a time for some reason. Slightly smaller and its good.. like 1856x1056 or something... but a 64GB card will only hold like 15Mins max.

Got temp warning too. WTF makes 50D so hot.

menoc

Quote from: briwil on June 21, 2013, 01:25:28 AM
I know I asked about this yesterday...
I tried out Grayscale preview- but just to be sure I'm not missing something- its really only useful for framing up a shot before you begin recording, no?
Once I hit record, the screen's frame rate went down to maybe updating once every second or two, not really useable if you're shooting people or moving objects and trying to keep focus.

Look, if you want to make 5x crop work like a normal lens than you'll have to get something like a 10mm EF-S lens so that 5x mode will convert it to something more like a 50mm lens. Otherwise, you have to shoot from afar . . .

robertgl

what's the current max res achievable full-sensor?

briwil

Quote from: menoc on June 21, 2013, 06:10:35 AM
Look, if you want to make 5x crop work like a normal lens than you'll have to get something like a 10mm EF-S lens so that 5x mode will convert it to something more like a 50mm lens. Otherwise, you have to shoot from afar . . .

Ok. I feel like everytime I ask a question on this forum I'm getting responses from people who sound annoyed.

I understand that crop mode works differently than the normal mode, that's exactly what I was saying, and people are telling me to turn on ML Previews as though that will alleviate my issue with it, and as you just said, it won't. Was just looking for clarification.