50D Raw video

Started by Andy600, May 22, 2013, 03:40:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hijodeibn

Quote from: robertgl on June 20, 2013, 08:14:38 PM
any risks with this setup ?
12V battery > inverter to 110v > AC adapter >50D ?

Exactly what i am going to do in the future, don't worry it is a safe configuration, just make sure the AC adapter is designed for the 50d, I saw some availables on ebay.

crash-film

try to get a straight 12 V to 8.... (whatever voltage it needs) converter. your method will destroy a lot of electrical energy into direct heat...
you convert DC to AC and then back to DC. you can go DC to DC. much better!!

theoretically a resistor should work. but a stabilized power supply would be the best.

dsManning

Quote from: pulsar124 on June 20, 2013, 07:42:53 PM
It sounds the RAW hack is super battery hungry - do any of you use a battery grip for your 50D? What kind? Are there grips which provide a lot of power through AA batteries? The ones I saw take 6 AAs; with my Eneloops (2000mAh) it's only 40% more Wh than a single BP-511 battery, doesn't look interesting. Are there grips which would have triple or more the Whs of BP-511? I never had a need for grip, with my 3 batteries, but now with the video feature I might reconsider.

I can't attest to this one, yet, but I just got it delivered from Amazon.  Holds 2x 50D batteries or has a cartridge for 6x AA for emergency use.  Seems pretty nice for the cost.  Screws into the 1/4-20 thread for quick release and has a strong screw to keep contract to the camera's battery receiving  end.  Also has a 1/4-20 tread so you can put a quick release on the bottom (important!)  Side buttons for shooting photos vertically work fine.

Nice to have the 2x battery capacity.  I was running through a fully charged 2200mAh in about 30min of footage (including setup in LV).  60 min will be nice and I have 2 more stock Canon 1390mAh backups.  So theoretically about 2 hours of footage with my 50D batteries and maybe another 20-30 min on the 6x AA cartridge.  Not so bad...  Will update with results soon.

Forgot link :P http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003MACYGS/ref=oh_details_o03_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

hijodeibn

Quote from: briwil on June 20, 2013, 07:24:50 AM
It's needed for SDXC cards; it's in the installation guide. Needed for 64gb and higher cards.
wiki.magiclantern.fm/install

Thanks...I figured out I do not have to format the card, just replace the files that @gregory is releasing.....and I saw the macboot is used to format another card in the computer for the 50d......great!!!

menoc

Quote from: hijodeibn on June 20, 2013, 08:18:05 PM
Exactly what i am going to do in the future, don't worry it is a safe configuration, just make sure the AC adapter is designed for the 50d, I saw some availables on ebay.

That's what I'm using. A car battery starter and DC-AC converter . . .it's all good. But I have an even better solution that I post later . . .

hijodeibn

Quote from: crash-film on June 20, 2013, 08:20:39 PM
try to get a straight 12 V to 8.... (whatever voltage it needs) converter. your method will destroy a lot of electrical energy into direct heat...
you convert DC to AC and then back to DC. you can go DC to DC. much better!!

theoretically a resistor should work. but a stabilized power supply would be the best.

Do not go with the resistor solution unless you know exactly what you are doing, meaning you have the right tester to measure the output and the knowledge to confirm it is what the camera needs......the DC converter teorically is a better solution but also I will not use it unless I can measure the output and confirm it is exactly what the camera needs.......the safer solution is DC-AC converter and the canon adapter for AC, yes you will loose some energy in the convertion, but it really is not so much......if you really are going to need a lot energy because of you will be recording in exterior for hours, then I suggest to use a car battery with a DC-AC converter, that will last for many hours, if you need to move with the camera, then use a belt battery....it will also work :)

hijodeibn

Quote from: menoc on June 20, 2013, 08:45:20 PM
That's what I'm using. A car battery starter and inverter . . .it's all good. But I have an even better solution that I post later . . .

Yeap....it is the safer and cheaper solution....I am using the same for audio recording equipments in exterior.....guarantee it will work!!!!

rommex

Just got my new Transcend x600 32Gb. OMG, it works!  :'( (tears of joy))

Some strange behavior: when I shut GD off and shoot continuously @1592x896, the buffer gradually fills up at approx 40 sec and the shooting stops.
But when I turn on Global Drawing the shooting goes smoothly with 1-starred buffer.
I'm using 28 May build (being somewhat conservative at the beginning of the test). Anybody had this?

And yes, it's a battery eater. I have 2 used batteries that last through a loooong photo shooting. But RAW recording does them in 15 min, I guess. Additional batteries and AC adapter are being launched from China )))

EDIT: The following extra-battery discussion has overwhelmed my question, I guess )

pulsar124

Thanks - I didn't realize there were AC adapters for 50D. I spent hours calibrating my lenses, this would have been very handy. I just ordered one from ebay for only 12$ with free shipping. I do have a car booster battery, I'm pretty sure it has 12V out. Now I only need to get the inverter. 100W inverter should be sufficient, right?

crash-film

of course it´s guaranteed to work.

but the ideal solution would of course be a standard v-mount to  the canon specific voltage converter.
just search for it on ebay. india seems to be full of those things!   ;)

i have here a bunch of NP1 batteries (anybody remembers them?) used a car 12 volt to usb 5 volt adapter to power a portable beamer.
worked fine.
maybe there´s a car to canon adapter. would be much cheaper and lighter. the inverters i know a mostly pretty heavy.

good equipment to verify the voltages and much more important the currents is imperative!
and of course you really should know what you are doing.

if you don´t know how to measure currents or voltages.... of course, always go the safe way and buy already tested and working configurations......i tell people that execute not really tested code on their pricey cams  :o

hijodeibn

Quote from: Mark0ki on June 20, 2013, 09:24:24 PM
DataVideo DDC-4012
9-30VDC to 7.2VDC max 4A (48W)

http://www.expandore.biz/product_detail.asp?productid=5025
http://www.creativevideo.co.uk/pdf/Datavideo_DDC-4012.pdf

This is great!!!!......i will certainly go for it if I needed.....but $155 I think is too much for some people.....

pulsar124

I think Astronomiser sells the proper solution: http://www.astronomiser.co.uk/canonpowerpro.htm#ast300ddc

This is a power converter from car 12v to Canon 50D battery-type connector, for 40 pounds + shipping.

Comparable price, in French: http://www.eosforastro.com/astro-photographie/accessoires-pour-apn/adaptateur-allume-cigare-12v-pour-apn-canon-eos-details

Much pricier (but also more professionally looking) solution is Cercis A633, for 119$ _shipping:  http://www.cercisastro.com/DslrStar%20Ordering%20Info.html

hijodeibn

Quote from: pulsar124 on June 20, 2013, 09:21:10 PM
Thanks - I didn't realize there were AC adapters for 50D. I spent hours calibrating my lenses, this would have been very handy. I just ordered one from ebay for only 12$ with free shipping. I do have a car booster battery, I'm pretty sure it has 12V out. Now I only need to get the inverter. 100W inverter should be sufficient, right?

More than enough, with 50 W you are OK!

hijodeibn

Quote from: pulsar124 on June 20, 2013, 09:37:16 PM
I think Astronomiser sells the proper solution: http://www.astronomiser.co.uk/canonpowerpro.htm#ast300ddc

This is a power converter from car 12v to Canon 50D battery-type connector, for 40 pounds + shipping.

Much pricier (but also more professionally looking) solution is Cercis A633, for 119$ _shipping:  http://www.cercisastro.com/DslrStar%20Ordering%20Info.html

WAW!!!  this is the way to go with my battery belt......I just remove the auto jack for cigarette, connect a XLR and ready to shoot........nice!

Mark0ki

If you know how to solder then the cheapest solution is the lm337 (if 1.5A is enough). You will need old battery, some resistors, capacitors and cooling radiator. Total cost of less than $ 5.

http://www.onsemi.com/pub_link/Collateral/LM337-D.PDF

would be better to make a new topic to discuss this.

hijodeibn

Quote from: Mark0ki on June 20, 2013, 10:08:44 PM
If you know how to solder then the cheapest solution is the lm337 (if 1.5A is enough). You will need old battery, some resistors, capacitors and cooling radiator. Total cost of less than $ 5.

http://www.onsemi.com/pub_link/Collateral/LM337-D.PDF

hahahaha......I do know how to solder ether......but I don't think is a good idea to spend all the time needed to make it work.......the adapter for 40 euros is a better solution for me........but oviously your solution is much more fun!!!

Mark0ki

Quote from: hijodeibn on June 20, 2013, 10:16:25 PM
hahahaha......I do know how to solder ether......but I don't think is a good idea to spend all the time needed to make it work.......the adapter for 40 euros is a better solution for me........but oviously your solution is much more fun!!!

I think that's inside the box is a lm337 (lm338) or something similar.

hijodeibn

Quote from: Mark0ki on June 20, 2013, 10:21:14 PM
I think that's inside the box is a lm337 (lm338) or something similar.

Probably.......should be something very similar to your diagram.....just with a nicer presentation....   :P

crash-film

1920x872 scales pretty nice to 4k  (4096x1920)....... this is so awesome!!  ;D

menoc

OK, I'm only getting pink frames. Am I missing something? I kind of messed around with PROP. Would that affect anything? It says it's a read only property . ..

Komputerbay 64GB 1000x, 5x crop, 1920x1040 @ 23.976 (using 1%'s latest build ) . . . But fully stable after the 3rd recording and enabling "Don't click me!"

dhallowell19

Quote from: crash-film on June 20, 2013, 11:32:09 PM
1920x872 scales pretty nice to 4k  (4096x1920)....... this is so awesome!!  ;D

I'm using the latest Andy builds (Andy 600 RAW and Fast RAW) - and (5x crop, of course) I can't get more than a few seconds at that size (with Komputerbay 1000x 64 card that's fine at 1536 x 864 or whatever).  I wonder if I'm missing something that others are doing to squeeze a bit more speed in that mode.

Andy600

Some FULL HD (1920 x 1080p) raw video footage I shot this evening on the 50D. (no audio)

The original is NOT scaled. It's shot at 1920 x 1080 24p

Download the original. Vimeo has scaled this to 720p because I'm cheap and haven't got a Vimeo Plus account  ;D

https://vimeo.com/68807509/download?t=1371767517&v=172469260&s=c3b55aa4afede69ce86a0f5f3b155de7

This is using A1ex's buffer sorting method and I get about 6-10 seconds per clip (1080p) on a Transcend 600x CF card. Not bad ;)

Here are some frame grabs: http://imgbox.com/g/LefsA41Eo9 (Gallery)
Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

menoc

Quote from: menoc on June 20, 2013, 11:50:46 PM
OK, I'm only getting pink frames. Am I missing something? I kind of messed around with PROP. Would that affect anything? It says it's a read only property . ..

Komputerbay 64GB 1000x, 5x crop, 1920x1040 @ 23.976 (using 1%'s latest build ) . . . But fully stable after the 3rd recording and enabling "Don't click me!"

Deleted all the config files. No more pink frames.

menoc

Quote from: dhallowell19 on June 20, 2013, 11:50:58 PM
I'm using the latest Andy builds (Andy 600 RAW and Fast RAW) - and (5x crop, of course) I can't get more than a few seconds at that size (with Komputerbay 1000x 64 card that's fine at 1536 x 864 or whatever).  I wonder if I'm missing something that others are doing to squeeze a bit more speed in that mode.

use 1%'s and turn on "Don't click me!"