50D Raw video

Started by Andy600, May 22, 2013, 03:40:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dhallowell19

Using Gregory's June 13th build I'm finding my komputerbay 1kx 64G card is now slowed back down to 45-50Gb/s (1584x892)...
GLobalDraw = LiveView, small waveform.  Everything else off, and per the long list of suggestions that were specified a week or so ago.
Exposure Sim is ON, and even when I hit Func and attempt to turn off - I see the ON and OFF choices, but neither wheel effects a change - so that's on no matter what.

Thanks for any ideas about what I might have missed....

JIKIJI

I'm getting some nice image when converting from raw to CinemaDNG then used lightroom  :)

Andy600

Quote from: dhallowell19 on June 14, 2013, 04:27:23 AM
Using Gregory's June 13th build I'm finding my komputerbay 1kx 64G card is now slowed back down to 45-50Gb/s (1584x892)...
GLobalDraw = LiveView, small waveform.  Everything else off, and per the long list of suggestions that were specified a week or so ago.
Exposure Sim is ON, and even when I hit Func and attempt to turn off - I see the ON and OFF choices, but neither wheel effects a change - so that's on no matter what.

Thanks for any ideas about what I might have missed....

Exposure Sim should say 'movie' (because you're in movie mode  ;)) and should be on. If you switch out of Movie mode you'll see you can switch it off. Try turning off waveform and use histogram. Reformat your card and delete your config file then try again. I noticed a speed drop for 1st recording then it goes back to high speeds.
Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

JulianH

Quote from: Andy600 on June 14, 2013, 09:02:51 AM
I noticed a speed drop for 1st recording then it goes back to high speeds.
Same here.

Andy600

I've forked Gregory's repo so I can compile updates with the latest changesets when he's not around. Anything I upload has been tested on my camera. If you are just getting started with the 50d DO NOT use my builds but read post #1.

My compiles are here: https://bitbucket.org/andy600/magic-lantern/downloads (up to Unified commit 4c83f9e)
Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

Andy600

I've been trying various raw workflows using After Effects, Premier Pro and Davinci Resolve Lite and I get the best looking footage this way:

1) Shooting raw video - ETTR always ON / Push WB (seems to give better results in post)

2) raw video converted to 12bit Cinema DNG using Chmee's excellent raw2CDNG converter http://www.phreekz.de/wordpress/2013/06/magiclantern-raw2cdng-cinema-dng/ (no need to lower White Level if you used Auto ETTR)

3) In Resolve - Camera Raw set to CinemaDNG with Gamma and Colorspace set to BMD Film with Highlight recovery ON

4) Resolve Image Scaling - Smoother Filter with Anti-Alias Edges ON (by far the best method of upscaling I have used)

5) In first Node set LUT to 3D > ARRI > Arri Alexa LogC To REC709 (you can set this in setup if you want but I prefer to have control per clip) - The Blackmagic Cinema Camera Film to Rec709 LUT is also good but a little too vibrant for me

tip: http://www.arri.de/camera/digital_cameras/tools/lut_generator/lut_generator.html

6) sharpen to taste (you can sometimes get nice results using the MIST setting in Blur/Sharpen) - Resolve sharpening is better than Adobe full stop! ;)

7) Image stabilization in Resolve is fantastic and very FAST! (set Tracker to Stabilizer if you want to use it)

8) CC, edit and output to the format of your choice for editing in your NLE

I don't know why but shooting and editing this way seems to have a positive impact on moire in the tests that I have done. Works for me :)

(Don't forget to use separate nodes for every edit you make in Resolve)

muddmanrich

Thanks a lot for that! Been looking for a good workflow. This seems to be fairly quick and painless in comparison to what i've been doing.

breaker

My Toshiba 1066X 64GB arrived today, and I have been doing some tests  :)
I used Andy600's build of June 14th.

Benchmark in Moviemode, Global Draw OFF. Crashed during the test so here is a photo of the screen after the freeze:

Playbackmode, Global Draw ON:

When testing the card on ATTO Disk Benchmark (default settings) the highest writespeed i get is approx 125 MB/s.
EOS 7D | EOS 650D | Sigma 30mm f/1.4 | Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 | Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 STM | 50D RAW Monster :-D

menoc

Quote from: GregoryOfManhattan on June 13, 2013, 10:55:50 PM
latest build with changes to Auto-ETTR (many changes since weekend)
raw_rec module should now keep settings
https://bitbucket.org/GregoryOfManhattan/magic-lantern/downloads/13june13-50D-0d47d7f96111.zip

if you are interested in testing auto-ETTR, don't forget to switch you back to saving raw photos in the canon menu.

speed should be comparable to what Julian just measured with yesterday's build.
cheers

So, Auto-ETTR is gone for now?

Andy600

Quote from: menoc on June 14, 2013, 05:52:25 PM
So, Auto-ETTR is gone for now?

No, it's now a module and all modules have config files (settings are saved) :)

breaker

But remember to choose save to RAW in canon menu if not already done. And since Record start have been changed to Set button you will have to choose how to activate Auto-ETTR (double click shutter or Always on).
Personally I found ETTR unreliably on this build, but it seems to be a bit better on Andy600's build of today. Mostly unreliably on not Auto-ETTR when doubleclicking the shutter - sometimes I have to doubleclick many times before it activates.
EOS 7D | EOS 650D | Sigma 30mm f/1.4 | Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 | Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 STM | 50D RAW Monster :-D

breaker

I got the benchmark working in moviemode. Just had to change the Movie Record (H264) setting to 640x480.
(Toshiba 1066X 64GB)

Moviemode, Global Draw OFF:

johansugarev

I installed the latest June 13 build and it looks like it's speedy. But Auto-ETTR seems to have disappeared. I have the camera set to RAW in canon menus and I have loaded all modules. Is that normal?

Andy600

Quote from: johansugarev on June 14, 2013, 06:43:00 PM
I installed the latest June 13 build and it looks like it's speedy. But Auto-ETTR seems to have disappeared. I have the camera set to RAW in canon menus and I have loaded all modules. Is that normal?

Try this one http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5586.msg50809#msg50809

johansugarev

Andy600

I'm going to re-write the first post later and want a few nice 'showcase' videos so everyone can see what the 50d is really capable of with raw video. I already know a few that are contenders but let me know if you have any suggestions for the following categories (need maybe 6-10):

Macro
Low Light / Night
Anamorphic
Motion
Skin
Aliasing and Moire (worst case scenarios)
Color

Any other suggestions welcome :)

Thanks!

goldenchild9to5

Quote from: Andy600 on June 14, 2013, 07:09:13 PM
I'm going to re-write the first post later and want a few nice 'showcase' videos so everyone can see what the 50d is really capable of with raw video. I already know a few that are contenders but let me know if you have any suggestions for the following categories (need maybe 6-10):

Macro
Low Light / Night
Anamorphic
Motion
Skin
Color

Thanks!

That's a great Idea Andy..

artiswar

Quote from: Andy600 on June 14, 2013, 07:09:13 PM

Macro
Low Light / Night
Anamorphic
Motion
Skin
Color

Thanks!

Dynamic Range. Use a light meter to figure out lighting ratios (64:1, 32:1, etc.)
Direct comparison to t3i or similar, non raw.

savale

Yeah I'm back into raw 50d land :) I do have a brand new Komputerbay 1000x 64gb card.
My previous komputerbay 1000x 64gb was broken (actually it was already dying when I received it, but I thought my cardreader was causing the trouble...)
I just tested the latest Andy build and works like a charm. I see lots of quirks are fixed now and it's so stable:
I was able to record a 50gb raw recording 1592x892 (16:9) with raw histogram enabled. Time to record some real footage :)

1%

I got the komputerbay 64gb card. Formatted to fat32 (bleh).. aligned to 4096 with 64K clusters (largest fat32 formatter can make and best according to shield's tests). Still waiting on charger or ac adapter. Dunno why new AA's go from full to flat in 10 sec.

Andy600

Quote from: 1% on June 15, 2013, 02:08:41 AM
I got the komputerbay 64gb card. Formatted to fat32 (bleh).. aligned to 4096 with 64K clusters (largest fat32 formatter can make and best according to shield's tests). Still waiting on charger or ac adapter. Dunno why new AA's go from full to flat in 10 sec.

Sounds like a faulty battery caddy in the grip maybe

artiswar

Quote from: Andy600 on June 14, 2013, 11:47:22 AM

1) Shooting raw video - ETTR always ON / Push WB (seems to give better results in post)

Noob question. Where is ETTR?

1%

Yea, maybe need to push the battery caddy up with paper or something.. or these AA's aren't enough voltage. I got enough juice to boot a little from both batteries in the grip... oh well other stuff should be here soon. I ordered on the same day.

Andy600

Quote from: artiswar on June 15, 2013, 02:28:21 AM
Noob question. Where is ETTR?

Exposure settings - 1st tab in the menu

Andy600

Quote from: 1% on June 15, 2013, 02:33:02 AM
Yea, maybe need to push the battery caddy up with paper or something.. or these AA's aren't enough voltage. I got enough juice to boot a little from both batteries in the grip... oh well other stuff should be here soon. I ordered on the same day.

Did you check the AA's after in another device?