50D Raw video

Started by Andy600, May 22, 2013, 03:40:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JulianH

You might get more frames because the camera is actually shooting at a lower framerate?

- Again, correct me if i'm wrong.. this whole fps override thing with so many options is puzzling me a bit. To me the only logical choice seems 'exact fps' - since that's what we want to get after all..

a1ex

You don't have to use the advanced mode ;)

Also, can you check for cpu usage when FPS override is on? Exact FPS does a bit of searching through all these timer combinations, so there may be surprises.

evanamorphic

It just happened in "Exact FPS" as well. I couldn't tell when it occurred though.

When FPS Override is on, CPU usage is at about 26% with LiveView on, and all overlays disabled. When FPS Override is off, CPU usage is between 28-29%

Andy600

@evanamorphic where are you getting 22 fps from (it says 23.976 from 22) It should say 30 Ignore this, I re-read original post  :-[
Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

JulianH

@Evan: your actual FPS is still weird...
Did you tweak your fps timers A+B? mine are on 686 and 1751, that gives me exact 23.976.

Quote from: a1ex on June 09, 2013, 10:15:40 PM
You don't have to use the advanced mode ;)
Just trying to help...
Or am I wrong that it isn't advisable to use an actual fps lower than 23.976?

Will check the cpu usage.

Andy600

removed after re-reading the post I was trying to answer
Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

a1ex

I've fixed a similar FPS problem on 5D3 a few days ago.

@JulianH: you said FPS override is too complex. There is a beginner mode and an advanced mode, use the one corresponding to your skill level ;)

necronomfive

Quote from: artiswar on June 09, 2013, 08:32:11 PM
I believe its a bit over 3x. Could be mistaken. That puts it in the BMPCC territory.

Using 1920x1080 pixels in 5x mode would yield a crop factor of about 3.975. The sensor area being used is a little bit smaller as a regular 16mm film frame. Already did some calculations concerning this earlier in this thread.

I think the 50D is far more flexible now than the BMPCC. I'm so glad that these developments here happened before buying one.

1%

QuoteIn 600D RAW menu  there is an opion to start shooting after desired number of seconds which is very handy!

Yup, that will be in.

necronomfive

Btw, I also had time now to test the June 8th build.

Compared with May 28th build, I now have to switch off the RAW zebras and the colour histogram to yield a comparable performance. My KomputerBay 32GB card maxes out at 62-63MB/s in 5x zoom mode, 1920x818.

On the other hand, the framing and recording issues in 5x zoom mode are gone now.

It seems also that initially, the write performance is way lower, up until you run the "Card Buffer Benchmark" test in the Debug menu for about 1-2 mins, with LiveView turned on. It seems that ML picks then the best buffer size for your card.

a1ex

Raw zebras are CPU intensive. Before you had YUV zebras with zero cpu. Just turn them off while recording.

necronomfive

Quote from: a1ex on June 09, 2013, 11:21:06 PM
Raw zebras are CPU intensive. Before you had YUV zebras with zero cpu. Just turn them off while recording.

Thanks for the clarification! Do you think it would be worthwile to make this option switchable in RAW recording mode, or are the YUV zebras too imprecise for any useful application in RAW mode? I personally found them useful to make quick changes to my exposure settings when the lighting conditions changed constantly.

EDIT: AARGH, I'm dumb, just found out how to switch to YUV Zebras...  :-\

1%

That timing slowdown commit caused err70 on 600D for evf state, esp with MZ... but was good for Digic V. DigiIV I think the raw zebras hurt more than help.

JulianH

Quote from: a1ex on June 09, 2013, 10:45:19 PM
@JulianH: you said FPS override is too complex. There is a beginner mode and an advanced mode, use the one corresponding to your skill level ;)
Not saying it is too complex. I see different people using different settings though and I didn't think using something like 'low light' or having an actual fps that is lower than your desired one would make sense if you're shooting video at a certain framerate. I just couldn't confirm it. Anyway, I RTFM: http://wiki.magiclantern.fm/userguide#fps_override and it seems to do pretty much what I thought it would.

Viente

Quote from: 1% on June 09, 2013, 11:08:13 PM
Yup, that will be in.

Thanks! I'll also will donate to Julian asap. Need to recover some money after purchase.

Wow! resolution in crop mode (2000x852) is just amazing! After 600D it looks like dreams come true lol :D

necronomfive

Another update: when the KomputerBay 32GB card is warm, I get a constant 65.5 MB/s write speed in 5x zoom mode, allowing to shoot about 1450 frames in 1920x876 mode.

In standard 1x zoom mode, 1584x1056 at 66.9 MB/s is no problem.

So, as I thought, at this point, the limiting factor in the 50D seems not to be the CF controller, or the card, but the DMA bandwidth being left available in Live View 5x / 10x zoom mode. No matter what resolution you choose for recording, DIGIC4 always seems to write 2000x1080 pixels to SDRAM in 5x mode, which puts a heavier burden on DMA bandwidth than 1x mode in 1584x1056.

If one could alter that value to match the recording size, I think recording between 1920x872 and 1920x960 continuously might become possible with the 50D.

But, as it stands now, being able to record RAW, uncompressed video in 1920x818 on a 5 year old DSLR ist just plain amazing!

JulianH

No more need for donations (to me) Viente. Everything is covered! Thanks anyway :)

JulianH

I know you guys like cinemascope... Me too, but I shoot 2650x1058 ;)

Gregory's June 8th build.

Shot at 1472x1058, de-squeezed in post by 1.8x

Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 (mostly at 1.4. Bit of 2 and 2.8) + Isco Optic Ultrastar Anamorphic.
Everything at ISO 3200 1/48 - No tripod around so had to put the rig on the floor/walls etc.

The 50D + anamorphic is an awesome combo. I love the possibility to shoot in anamorphic friendly aspect ratio's!

Quick CineForm workflow:
- Convert with RAWanizer to Cineform 444 (I have the trial of Cineform premium installed...)
- Open Cineform studio, import files.

The converted iso 3200 files look pretty bad in Cineform. I didn't want to take the slow ACR/Bridge route so fiddled around a bit. Found a setting that looks pretty nice and the noise doesn't look bad. Settings:

Input lut - Protune
Output lut - R-space
Color Matrix - neutral

Thats about all the grading I did. Lowered the contrast a bit on some dark shots.
Then open the Cineform clips (without exporting them) in Premiere, edit and export...

menoc

Quote from: rockfallfilms on June 09, 2013, 03:14:51 PM
What are people using to nail exposure, raw histogram? raw zebras?

What do the numbers in the red circle mean on the histogram?

Give Auto ETTR a try . . .

evanamorphic

I have no idea how you've gotten RAWanizer + CineForm combo to work... My results with that workflow are completely unusable.

novielo

What recent biuld you guys are hsing that seems to work so well?
I tried the june 8th build but with out succes.

Can't get the raw tab in the video menu. Even if i load magic.sys
Raw_rec.mo

John-Jo

Quote from: krashnik on June 09, 2013, 06:25:04 PM
I have owned a few 50Ds for a couple of years.  The battery life is phenomenal and I would base all your issues on old or cheap batteries.  I use Canon originals, then also 2200mAh replacements designed for CNBP511.  Bought for about $11 each on Amazon a few years back & still going strong. 

I have shot over 500 hours of 1080p video footage on the same batteries for my film production company where each charge lasts approximately 90 minutes per battery.  With the 50D charger, this is up to 3 hours per charge using Magic Lantern.  You could argue that this was HD and not RAW, but I've also used the 50D as an actual camera with over 2,000 shutter actuations per charge over the course of 5 hours on various swimsuit photoshoots.

The short: this camera is a tank & I'm glad to see so many other users finally realizing it is the hidden gem in the Canon lineup.  My photos with it: OpenVase - video with it on my Youtube.

Thanks so much for the info. I think I either have a faulty battery, or possibly a faulty charger? Hoping not an issue with the body.
Had my new aftermarket battery (7.4v  2500mAh)   on charge overnight and yet when I put it in the 50D the icon was only showing the last 3rd, and camera would not update the firmware as bat level too low.

The 2 Canon batteries although would work for 5-10 mins when they first got here now don't even hold a charge.

Have got 2 batteries on the way hoping to shed some light on the subject for me.

Is there a way to show battery % other than the top LCD screen?

Frustrating as all hell!!!    :-\       Need to test more variables. 

Thanks in advance for any help on this matter.
Canon 7D, Canon 50D, Komputer Bay 64GB 1000x & Sandisk Extreme 32, 16, 8, @ 60Mb/s. ML build: The newest one I know about.  :)

Nachelsoul

This is my first quick test with my new 50D. Using the 28May build. No problems at all, except the aliasing normal issues.

JulianH

Quote from: evanamorphic on June 10, 2013, 03:01:51 AM
I have no idea how you've gotten RAWanizer + CineForm combo to work... My results with that workflow are completely unusable.
I use Cineform Studio Premium and set RAWanizer to Cineform 444 .mov
The resulting files look crap when opened in Mediaplayer Classic (VLC doesn't play them at all) but in Resolve or in Cineform Studio Premium it looks good.

With the free version and Cineform 422 I can't get it to work either. Premiere just crashes if I load the converted files.

Currently I'm on the 15 days trial of Cineform Studio Premium, I like the workflow, but not the pricetag ($299) so I hope I can get it to work with the free version for quick edits / proxies.

krummi

Hey everybody

Been following this thread as well as many others in the RAW development realm for the last couple of weeks and I feel that it is now time to finally pick up a camera to shoot with. I didn't feel like I should start a new topic and that probably you guys here could provide a few pointers.

I'm coming from a hacked GH2, which I love dearly for sharpness and fidelity but I can't really pass up the opportunity to shoot 14 bit RAW. My options right now are either a 50D or a MKII. Where I am a used MKII is 2.5 the price of a used 50D. But let's forget price for a second.

From what I've seen the two cameras seem fairly evenly matched on paper with regards to how they handle RAW video but from what I've seen the MKII footage seems to both have more resolution and higher dynamic range. I'm wondering if that is really so or if the image fidelity is simply superior? Also there seems to be quite a bit of false detail and edge sharpening in a lot of the 50D footage, is that something that feels baked into the footage or are people just dialing the sharpness too high in ACR?

Mostly I'm just wandering what people in the know are generally feeling with regards to overall quality of the RAW recording between these two cameras not counting inherent trades like sensor size and ISO performance.

Many, many thanks for all your hard work!