50D Raw video

Started by Andy600, May 22, 2013, 03:40:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rockfallfilms

I've also had movie mode turned off, that explains why my exposure hasn't been consistant.

krashnik

Quote from: John-Jo on June 09, 2013, 02:36:20 PM
Sweet, thanks for that. I'm used to my 7D batteries going for ages! I have read somewhere that as 50D not designed for video, it will use a lot of power (live view etc)  All good though.

Got 2 more batteries on the way so will be sorted soon enough. Still would be good to get some more input. Anyone using NEW Canon batteries out there? How long you get out of them shooting RAW video?

I have owned a few 50Ds for a couple of years.  The battery life is phenomenal and I would base all your issues on old or cheap batteries.  I use Canon originals, then also 2200mAh replacements designed for CNBP511.  Bought for about $11 each on Amazon a few years back & still going strong. 

I have shot over 500 hours of 1080p video footage on the same batteries for my film production company where each charge lasts approximately 90 minutes per battery.  With the 50D charger, this is up to 3 hours per charge using Magic Lantern.  You could argue that this was HD and not RAW, but I've also used the 50D as an actual camera with over 2,000 shutter actuations per charge over the course of 5 hours on various swimsuit photoshoots.

The short: this camera is a tank & I'm glad to see so many other users finally realizing it is the hidden gem in the Canon lineup.  My photos with it: OpenVase - video with it on my Youtube.

JulianH

By enabling Movie Mode the live view is forced to a 16:9 crop. So when recording 4:3 or 3:2 a part of the image is blocked by the GD info and/or black bars. Can't find a way to change the live view settings for movie mode either.

On another note: I seem to have lost a buffer star. 5 available now, used to be 6. Malloc numbers are the same as before though and double checked settings in the Canon menu (jpg, all custom functions related to image quality off).

a1ex

Can't really help with that, this is how ML looks in movie mode on all cameras. You can try a custom cropmark.

JulianH

Thanks A1ex, will do. Turning off global draw also helps.

/edit: just found out I can clear overlays with half press for example, that would be good so I can just clear it during framing.

Good thing about Movie mode turned on, the aperture now actually changes during live view with electronic lenses :) (doh!)

Andy600

@JulianH - I've got 6 buffer stars with Global Draw enabled just for the raw histogram. Enabling movie mode doesn't seem to affect anything in so far as frame amounts etc but it looks like it's cured the pink screen in 5x crop (WB must be set correctly or it does get a bit pink so it seems to act as a good warning to set it) and (of course) exposure now seems to work correctly.. all of a sudden the colors just sing!

For the LV problem try playing around with display settings - Display > Advanced Settings (might help if you haven't already been there).

Loving this 2k Cinemascope. I seem to be getting about 10-15% more frames than the setting suggests and hitting about 62MB/s write speed. Maybe it's card related, I dunno but I seem to have golden settings ATM.  8)
Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

ashtrai

Quote from: Andy600 on June 09, 2013, 07:42:28 PM
@JulianH - I've got 6 buffer stars with Global Draw enabled just for the raw histogram. Enabling movie mode doesn't seem to affect anything in so far as frame amounts etc but it looks like it's cured the pink screen in 5x crop (WB must be set correctly or it does get a bit pink so it seems to act as a good warning to set it) and (of course) exposure now seems to work correctly.. all of a sudden the colors just sing!

For the LV problem try playing around with display settings - Display > Advanced Settings (might help if you haven't already been there).

Loving this 2k Cinemascope. I seem to be getting about 10-15% more frames than the setting suggests and hitting about 62MB/s write speed. Maybe it's card related, I dunno but I seem to have golden settings ATM.  8)

Do you know what the equivalent cropfactor is in 2000x750 5x mode?

artiswar

Quote from: ashtrai on June 09, 2013, 08:12:06 PM
Do you know what the equivalent cropfactor is in 2000x750 5x mode?

I believe its a bit over 3x. Could be mistaken. That puts it in the BMPCC territory.

JulianH

Loaded a fresh battery and got my 6 stars back. Don't know if it's related but I'm happy :)

GregoryOfManhattan

artiswar more like 4 - isn't it?
4572x3168 maximum resolution (wikipedia)
4752/1920 *1.6 = 3.96

for the 2000 wide (mistake) it would be 3.6 crop factor

JulianH - i always see magenta in zoom mode no matter what the white balance - unless i do a G/M Shift of between +7 and +10 Green - then it can look correct to my eyes

ashtrai

Quote from: artiswar on June 09, 2013, 08:32:11 PM
I believe its a bit over 3x. Could be mistaken. That puts it in the BMPCC territory.

Quote from: GregoryOfManhattan on June 09, 2013, 09:00:53 PM
artiswar more like 4 - isn't it?
4572x3168 maximum resolution (wikiepdia)
4752/1920 *1.6 = 3.96

for the 2000 wide (mistake) it would be 3.6 crop factor

JulianH - i always see magenta in zoom mode no matter what the white balance - unless i do a G/M Shift of between +7 and +10 Green - then it can look correct to my eyes

Thanks guys.

JulianH

Same here Gregory.
Why is 2000 a mistake? It seems to work fine? Any disadvantages to it compared to 1920?

GregoryOfManhattan

from a question Andy600 asked
Quote from: a1ex on June 09, 2013, 04:46:48 PM
See here: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=6215

I'll restrict raw video to movie mode to avoid this kind of mistakes. The raw backend does behave differently in photo liveview, because... I'm assumming you are taking pictures in photo mode, not videos.

is a1ex is saying he will disable these unusual widths for raw video mode, as they should only be there for photos (silent pics) or is he saying that he will automatically activate movie mode when you turn on raw video or both or ...? - we will see soon enough.

GregoryOfManhattan

Quote from: JulianH on June 09, 2013, 09:02:59 PM
Same here Gregory.
Why is 2000 a mistake? It seems to work fine? Any disadvantages to it compared to 1920?
a disadvantage is you will have to scale video for one of the current "standard" output formats.

1%

White level/stuff like that is different for movie + photo... so there is a faux movie mode he made to fix the indicators if you're shooting video and not pictures. Otherwise indicators and maybe black level detection would have been wrong.

Andy600

He means restrict raw video to movie mode because I wasn't using movie mode. Maybe he will enable movie mode by default when raw recording is enabled... It's one less thing to remember to do before hitting record :)
Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

Andy600

Have I got this right? Shooting in crop mode only uses the left part of the sensor?

1%

Ahh.. well that restriction isn't really a restriction.

It probably uses whichever part of the sensor you want... depending on where you move the zoom box. That seems to be the case on other cameras.

Andy600

Ah, I disabled the zoom box  ::) It must have retained the last used settings

Rolfe Klement

Amazing new build!

In M video mode - I ran the RW test then starting flipping around in LiveView (with global draw on, focus assist, magnify at 3:1 and histogram on) before RW test had finished. Camera got hot quite quickly. To the point where I had to unplug and get batteries out. But since then all OK!

Also excuse my ignorance but I got the 9th Jun build but can't get up to 2000 pixels by anything. I am running KomputerBay 64gb 1000x. IN M mode with ML Exp locked for my EF Canon lenses...

thanks

evanamorphic

I got about 3000 frames at 1920x818 and then my FPS randomly dropped to 21 FPS again while recording. When it happens, my exposure shifts slightly and the buffer goes to *. When I stop recording and go into the menu it looks like this:

It takes 1 or 2 reboots to get back to 23.976 FPS. It only seems to occur in 5x zoom. Other than this little issue and the pink 5x zoom, the camera is performing incredibly well. I can get around 830 frames at 2000x852 before dropping on my Komputerbay x1000. Truly impressive.

Viente

+1 in the 50D RAW army :)

Just got the body for very cheap price, pretty much used but im going to replace some parts soon, so it will be like a new :)

Anyway i'll be glad to heavy test RAW video and provide as much info as possible.

Im going to shoot music video tomorrow, so can't wait to check it out in action!

JulianH

@evanamorphic: Your actual FPS is on 21.723? Why not put it on exact fps (optimize for) 23.976?

@Viente: welcome to the happy 50D owners club :)

Viente

In 600D RAW menu  there is an opion to start shooting after desired number of seconds which is very handy! Is it possible to do something like this on 50D?

evanamorphic

Quote from: JulianH on June 09, 2013, 09:49:06 PM
@evanamorphic: Your actual FPS is on 21.723? Why not put it on exact fps (optimize for) 23.976?

@Viente: welcome to the happy 50D owners club :)

I'll try optimize for 23.976 for awhile to see if it still occurs. I seem to get more frames when using the other optimize settings, I guess it's a trade off.