50D Raw video

Started by Andy600, May 22, 2013, 03:40:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

goldenchild9to5

Quote from: Andy600 on May 26, 2013, 11:13:21 AM
Congrats!  :)

Thank you man.. now I have to order a Komputerbay 64gb card, and an EF / M42 adapters for my manual lens.

TrueIndigo

Thanks for the welcome. If I can get raw working on a 50D with your help, I think that would usefully prove that anyone can do it! Cheers.

Andy600

Quote from: tihon on May 26, 2013, 03:27:23 PM
Whats wrong with magenta in 50d raw dng?

The black point fix needs incorporating along with a couple of minor framing adjustments. Should be fixed soon :)
Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

goldenchild9to5

Quote from: JulianH on May 26, 2013, 03:05:25 PM
@TrueIndigo: welcome to the club :) I might do a video tutorial on shooting raw with the 50D for first timers (just need to find time). I guess there are more people picking these camera's up. It's not difficult to get started. Just filled my 32GB card with anamorphic shots. Results later today!

Please do a tutorial Julian would greatly appreciate it.  You and Andy600 are the pioneers for the 50D, post those footages up later can't wait to see. 

JulianH

goldenchild9to5

Quote from: Andy600 on May 26, 2013, 02:46:59 PM
Not having a CF card seriously sucks! I feel like I've been given the keys to a Ferrari but it's got no petrol  >:(

Lol.. I know it sucks Andy trying to get my hands on that Komputerbay 64GB ASAP..

goldenchild9to5

Quote from: JulianH on May 26, 2013, 04:16:12 PM
Preview! Quick edit:

That looks filmic, please post video as soon as you can. 

JulianH

Be patient, a raw workflow isn't very fast... ;)

rockfallfilms

Hi, my 50d turned up yesterday, still waiting for my komputerbay 1000x 64gb though. As soon as it turns up I'll help out with the testing.

Looking forward to shooting some raw, I've had enough of 8 bit video!

JulianH

Moire can be pretty bad by the way.

Worst case scenario: http://www.eoshd.com/comments/uploads/gallery/album_64/gallery_20742_64_317938.jpg

Most of the shots are fine though. Even with small lines and detail.

tihon

Quote from: JulianH on May 26, 2013, 05:50:22 PM
Moire can be pretty bad by the way.

Worst case scenario: http://www.eoshd.com/comments/uploads/gallery/album_64/gallery_20742_64_317938.jpg

Most of the shots are fine though. Even with small lines and detail.

is that 50d? mama miaaa
Cinema, cinema, cinema

JulianH

Yes it is :) Can't be all perfect... But like I said, worst case scenario.

Andy600

Don't be alarmed guys! You can always stop-up to a shallower DOF, use some post trickery or just shoot something else. The 1:1 crop will also deal with it if you have a wide enough lens. It's never gonna be perfect but I suspect that scene would be crawling all over the place on most other cameras. The 5d3 would eat it no problem but at 10x the cost of the 50d :D
Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

JulianH

Exactly. Just trying to 'keep it real' here ;) We are all pretty enthusiastic, and we should be. But it's still early testing and it's not all going to be perfect. So I will post the bad stuff as well.

To make sure you guys won't run away from the 50D now, here's another shot, with lots of fine details, but hardly any nastiness:
http://www.eoshd.com/comments/uploads/gallery/album_64/gallery_20742_64_214987.jpg

Andy600

The question is - would the 5d2 fair any better?

Answers on a postcard to:

The moire is killing me
c/o Canon inc.
Japan

;D

Andy600

I just thought. We could strap 4 of these together in a matrix and just about get 4k raw for under 2k ;D

Another headline  ::)

...or spend up to the cost of a RED for... ummmm.... 32k...maybe LOL

Damn! Plan thwarted. Didn't think it through. How much would all that glass cost? and how would you focus?  :-\

tihon

Cinema, cinema, cinema

JulianH

Will do. My computer is sweating now, exporting the dng's :)

eckelsteve

"Neither camera featured dedicated video recording however, the 50d did have the feature, disabled in the Canon firmware. ML unlocked this to enable 1080p at 30fps with the ability to use FPS override for 24/25p."

Maybe a stupid question, but since I am buying a 50d and may need to shoot longer pieces where RAW would be impractical, confirming that I can shoot regular 5d style 1080 h264 on the 50d with the ML download?

goldenchild9to5

Quote from: JulianH on May 26, 2013, 07:32:47 PM
Will do. My computer is sweating now, exporting the dng's :)

Raw is intensive.. but gotta love it cause the benefits outweighs the cons.

JulianH

Quote from: eckelsteve on May 26, 2013, 08:01:24 PM
Maybe a stupid question, but since I am buying a 50d and may need to shoot longer pieces where RAW would be impractical, confirming that I can shoot regular 5d style 1080 h264 on the 50d with the ML download?
You can, but bear in mind it was not made for it, there is no audio recording on the 50D for example!

fatpig

no audio is a bummer. especially since it is such a low-end feature, but means the world to pluraleyes users like me :-P

Roman

Yeah probably the simplest solution to synching it all together is having a cheap and nasty camera (like an early gopro or something) recording both sound and video at a very low bitrate, just for the sake of synching things with pluraleyes or whatever.

Pretty monsterous workflow compared to shooting normally with a different audio capable DSLR, but gotta pay to play!

I'm bidding on a 50D at the moment. In my mind it seems the best $$ option for raw video, and often when I've been shooting a time lapse or something I've been mega bored, so a second camera body will help keep me entertained. Nice burst rate too compared to my 600D.

Andy600

It forces you to use some old skool tricks. A clapper board as a visual cue and external recording. Ok, it's not syncing but it's a workflow that was used in thousands of old movies. Hopefully some kind of timecode (preferably SMTPE) can be incorporated in ML in the future but I don't know if that is even possible.

smeangol

Back from the dead :)

Quotehttp://www.eoshd.com/content/10507/it-lives-5-year-old-350-canon-50d-becomes-raw-cinema-monster

Nice article gives somewhat the feeling it was really woth it spending some night on this :)

Same "framegrabs" from the weekend - thanks to my slow card i get 2 sec duration at once :/ ( right click + "show image" to see the picture in full size)
1592x840p:

One of the undisturbed frames with 1920 X 720p - processed with UFRAW, no sharpening  - now in jpg
Mind there is some motion blur before you judge.

Another!

Moire is absolutely present! But i think it is okay.

Someone got a good and fast workflow with free software to "expose" the DNG via batch? If so i will make a nice video with all my material!