50D Raw video

Started by Andy600, May 22, 2013, 03:40:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

goldenchild9to5

Quote from: Andy600 on May 26, 2013, 01:55:35 AM
@Jehan - I've got both (600d and 50d) and for raw video there is no competition. 50d hands down! It's really the only one in this price range. Just waiting to test against a 5d2. I think it might beat that too ;)

That's a real big statement beating the 5D Mark II thank goodness I got me a 50D..

goldenchild9to5

Guy's just found a great deal on an almost new 50D excited placed my order, can't wait for it to get here. 

Andy600

Quote from: goldenchild9to5 on May 26, 2013, 03:43:02 AM
Guy's just found a great deal on an almost new 50D excited placed my order, can't wait for it to get here.

Congrats!  :)
Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

JulianH

Here is my iso test! download the original file.. Amazing results, if you ask me.

Andy600

@JulianH - There's the proof! The 50d is a winner in low light :o Thanks!
Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

arrinkiiii

Quote from: JulianH on May 26, 2013, 12:19:56 PM

Here is my iso test! download the original file.. Amazing results, if you ask me.

AMAZING !!! Looking for one 50D for my self  =DD

Andy600

The 1st post in this thread has been updated  :)

Andy600

Can you believe that this camera was released BEFORE the 5d MkII?

TrueIndigo

I've been meaning to start using the ML hack for some time but never got around to it. Then I read about the ML HDR video feature, and this really got my attention, because I thought it was potentially a very noticeable way to change the apparent DR of Canon video compared to stock H.264. But now raw video has appeared and I've decided I can't stay out of this thing any longer! After recently reading nice things about the Nikon D5200 I thought I would get one of those next for video, but a few days ago I bought a second hand 50D instead, purely for raw shooting. I already have a 550D and 60D, so didn't plan on getting another crop Canon this year, but the price (at the moment at least) is almost disposable - I paid £330 for a body described by the seller as almost like new. It should arrive some time next week and I also ordered a KomputerBay 64 GB 1000x CF card. Hopefully, you guys can help me start experimenting with this exciting new development. Many thanks for your inspiring work here.

Andy600

@TrueIndigo - A warm welcome to the club! We're here to help :)

tihon

Hi!

Does this camera as good  as mark 2 in low light?
And the second question: is it possible to rec in 1:1 crop with no drops?

Thanks! great news!
Cinema, cinema, cinema

Andy600

Quote from: arrinkiiii on May 26, 2013, 01:57:38 PM
Other example with 50D. Found in http://www.eoshd.com/comments/topic/2801-it-lives-5-year-old-350-canon-50d-becomes-raw-cinema-monster/ 

https://vimeo.com/66622780

Thanks @arrinkiiii. I think that is part of this thread a couple of pages ago.

It's not strictly raw video in the same sense as the raw_rec module, it's the same DNGs but using the silent picture burst method which is limited to the camera's buffer size. Raw video will give exactly the same results though, just longer shooting times and selectable frame sizes/aspect ratios.

Andy600

Quote from: tihon on May 26, 2013, 01:58:04 PM
Hi!

Does this camera as good  as mark 2 in low light?
And the second question: is it possible to rec in 1:1 crop with no drops?

Thanks! great news!

We don't know yet because no one has done a comparrison with the 5d2 but you can see for yourself that the results are very promising.

1:1 crop is possible yes. At the moment it probably can't do more than a few seconds at it's maximum 1992x1080 but this will be worked on.

arrinkiiii

Quote from: Andy600 on May 26, 2013, 02:03:35 PM

Thanks @arrinkiiii. I think that is part of this thread a couple of pages ago.

It's not strictly raw video in the same sense as the raw_rec module, it's the same DNGs but using the silent picture burst method which is limited to the camera's buffer size. Raw video will give exactly the same results though, just longer shooting times and selectable frame sizes/aspect ratios.

Thank you for the enlightening Andy600   :D :D :D :D   

So, canon=restrictions, damn!!! I think that all the major company's have software and hardware for the next 10 or 20 years to come, but of course they need to make money. Why go from 1 to 3, if they can sell the 2, right? Bastards !!!!

Im a 7D owner and now with the 50D Raw it make me again feel alive  ;D

Ready for RAW? Let's go...!!!

tihon

Quote from: Andy600 on May 26, 2013, 02:06:33 PM
We don't know yet because no one has done a comparrison with the 5d2 but you can see for yourself that the results are very promising.

1:1 crop is possible yes. At the moment it probably can't do more than a few seconds at it's maximum 1992x1080 but this will be worked on.
Thanks! Can we record in 1:1 1080p but set  the output resolution - 1592x840?
Cinema, cinema, cinema

Andy600

Yes, I can't test that specific res atm myself but you can select frame dimensions. The latest raw module makes frame sizes aspect ratio dependent but we're using the older module for the time being.

Andy600

Not having a CF card seriously sucks! I feel like I've been given the keys to a Ferrari but it's got no petrol  >:(

JulianH

@TrueIndigo: welcome to the club :) I might do a video tutorial on shooting raw with the 50D for first timers (just need to find time). I guess there are more people picking these camera's up. It's not difficult to get started. Just filled my 32GB card with anamorphic shots. Results later today!

tihon

Quote from: Andy600 on May 26, 2013, 02:46:59 PM
Not having a CF card seriously sucks! I feel like I've been given the keys to a Ferrari but it's got no petrol  >:(
Heh)  In 1:1 you can set 1583px width and get 3x crop. Nice!  But i think that it`s will be more soft then crop in 5d mark 3 because of small pixel size
Cinema, cinema, cinema

Roman

I think the 50D progress is by far the most interesting revelation so far about the raw video!

It's cool to not only see some life reinjected into something like the 50D, but have bloody amazing video out of it when it wasnt even meant to have it haha.

arrinkiiii

Quote from: JulianH on May 26, 2013, 03:05:25 PM
@TrueIndigo: welcome to the club :) I might do a video tutorial on shooting raw with the 50D for first timers (just need to find time). I guess there are more people picking these camera's up. It's not difficult to get started. Just filled my 32GB card with anamorphic shots. Results later today!

Lets see that results  :D

tihon

Whats wrong with magenta in 50d raw dng?
Cinema, cinema, cinema

goldenchild9to5

Quote from: JulianH on May 26, 2013, 12:19:56 PM

Amazing results Wow!!! are you sure it was @ 12,000 ISO Winner in my book.  I think we will be seeing a lot of 5D Mark II's for cheap on ebay soon cause everybody is gonna jump ship and get a 50D.  I'm even thinking on getting a second 50D before those prices surge. 

Andy600