550D/T2i raw video recording port official thread

Started by dlrpgmsvc, May 22, 2013, 12:11:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tahvero

I am using unified nightly version of ML in my 550D and noticed that 1024 resolution is missing from menu. I read this thread and see that many people have used that resolution with some other build. It would be nice to have it also in unified nightly so more people could try it (Including me  :) ).

truemoscow

My small video. 550D 1200x400 25fps daylight upscaled to 1080p. Sandisc pro Extreme 95mbit, MK11174 June 26.

pooli

glubber

EOS 550D // Sigma 18-200 // Sigma 18-70 // Canon 10-18 STM

dlrpgmsvc

Quote from: pooli on August 13, 2013, 12:44:51 PM
Dual ISO for 550d possible?

Unfortunately not, 550D lacks the necessary hardware inside her...  :'(
If you think it's impossible, you have lost beforehand

BrotherD

Quote from: truemoscow on August 13, 2013, 09:09:32 AM
My small video. 550D 1200x400 25fps daylight upscaled to 1080p. Sandisc pro Extreme 95mbit, MK11174 June 26.

Very nice! Did you shoot 5x crop, which lens, how many frames captured per clip? Thanks for sharing.

Welcome to the forum!

Derrick

1%

You can probably do dual ISO. Maybe not in LV but at least in photo. If 50D can do it...

telecastDaveRI

How would we accomplish that?
It is as simple as downloading the 50D tragic lantern zip and then maybe sym file to the 550D one?
Or would it still have to be compiled in some form or fashion?

Would a 7D make more sense?
(I'm unsure if you were just making a point with the 50D as it had less capabilities).
I'd almost be willing to test...it's just a matter of determining how :)

truemoscow

Quote from: BrotherD on August 13, 2013, 06:22:07 PM
Very nice! Did you shoot 5x crop, which lens, how many frames captured per clip? Thanks for sharing.
Welcome to the forum!
Derrick
Thanks Derrick! 1200x400, 3:1 crop, 24-105mm f/4L zoom lens ~ 70mm.
Continuous rec without stopping... about four-five minutes, file size ~ 6,5 GB (system is exFAT).
Congratulations for us! :)

mk11174

Quote from: telecastDaveRI on August 14, 2013, 08:17:28 AM
How would we accomplish that?
It is as simple as downloading the 50D tragic lantern zip and then maybe sym file to the 550D one?

I don't think that will work, looks like there are certain addresses that need to be found first for our camera and added to the module code.
500D/T1i  550D/T2i  600D/T3i  700D/T5i

CFP

1% got Dual-ISO working on the 600D. For stills it is really nice.

The 550D will probably have Dual-ISO since it has the same sensor :D

dlrpgmsvc

Quote from: mk11174 on August 14, 2013, 12:08:01 PM
I don't think that will work, looks like there are certain addresses that need to be found first for our camera and added to the module code.

These are the ADTG and CMOS values for 550D (tested and ok) :

#define ADTG_WRITE_FUNC   0xff27ee34
#define CMOS_WRITE_FUNC   0xff27f028
#define CMOS16_WRITE_FUNC 0
#define CARTRIDGE_WRITE_FUNC 0

Do someone has time to compile ?  ;)
If you think it's impossible, you have lost beforehand

mk11174

Quote from: dlrpgmsvc on August 14, 2013, 02:00:51 PM
These are the ADTG and CMOS values for 550D (tested and ok) :

#define ADTG_WRITE_FUNC   0xff27ee34
#define CMOS_WRITE_FUNC   0xff27f028
#define CMOS16_WRITE_FUNC 0
#define CARTRIDGE_WRITE_FUNC 0

Do someone has time to compile ?  ;)
These are the addresses it looks like we need to find.
        FRAME_CMOS_ISO_START = 0x406957C8; // CMOS register 0000 - for LiveView, ISO 100 (check in movie mode, not photo!)
        PHOTO_CMOS_ISO_START = 0x4069464C; // CMOS register 0000 - for photo mode, ISO 100

jackdelamare

Quote from: BrotherD on August 01, 2013, 09:33:01 PM
Jack my answer is yes, absolutely! Hey, now, if you have a 5dm3 or 50d, I would say use them first. You probably have already jumped out your editing chair seeing the details of that raw footage from your t2i. You will not get that clarity shooting H.264.

I am not expecting ML to make any more improvements to our camera. Right now I am more than satisfied. I have two music videos, a short film and some sound bites scheduled the next two weeks. Every one of them will be shot raw with theT2i.

Jack, I hope this helps.
Derrick
This really does help, and I can't wait to see your music videos and the short film shot on the 550D RAW. Really eager to see.

Quote from: BrotherD on August 08, 2013, 08:02:11 AM
Jack I was thinking about you today after shooting 90% of a short film. The director agreed to shoot it in raw and with the Panasonic LA 7200 anamorphic adapter, using a vintage Cosina 28mm lens. The lens and adapter worked so well together! I've been telling Alex that  I am not a fan of blown out highlights that are in most movies today? Two of my challenges were focus and capturing details in all the shots.  Every scene was shot outside today, most with ND filters because the LA 7200 works best when the taking lens is at 5.6.

We filled four 8gb cards, one 16gb card and half of another 16gb card. The biggest problem was with the only Kingston card. The 8gb class 10 card could only record between 235 - 400 frames per take before stopping. The three Scandisk 8gb cards recorded continuously even thought two of them are old class 6 cards bought in 2010 when I purchased the T2i. I think the Kingston card writes at only around 15mb per second. My year old Micro Center 16gb card recorded at most 400 frames per take but the new Micro Center 16gb card Alex purchased yesterday recorded around 1200 frames per take? I'm saying all this to say, most class 10 cards write too slow to record raw continuously at 960 x 540. Make sure your cards write faster than 21mb per second!

Even with the cards slowing down production I am looking forward to finishing the film in raw. I will post some footage by this weekend.

Happy shooting,
Derrick

Derrick, can't wait to see what you've shot. The question is, does a workflow lose quality? I used Ginger HDR on some stuff I shot recently and honestly I am having a little bit of a tough time seeing the difference. Which made me a bit disappointed. But I'm thinking maybe that's because of GingerHDR importing directly into Premiere? I'll post the video unlisted shortly so you can see.

Thanks!

truemoscow

Digital Skater Dolly small test. Funny function  :)
550D ML_MK11174_June_26 1200x400 (3:1 crop) 25fps upscaled to 1080p.

jackdelamare

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f23UFqiYjfQ

Here's my little test, unlisted on YouTube. RAW certainly has given better colour but I am finding it hard to see much of a difference. Is it just me? I used Ginger HDR.

telecastDaveRI

It might be just you :)
The color shouldn't matter because raw is raw. Nothing is baked in like with the h264 compression and any picture style that you are using.

In other words, you can make them look identical color-wise. In fact, you probably could have adjusted the exposture on the raw on that video - it was a little dark.

Check out my video - you can definitively see the difference. especially on the fishbowl.

BrotherD

This really does help, and I can't wait to see your music videos and the short film shot on the 550D RAW. Really eager to see.

Derrick, can't wait to see what you've shot. The question is, does a workflow lose quality? I used Ginger HDR on some stuff I shot recently and honestly I am having a little bit of a tough time seeing the difference. Which made me a bit disappointed. But I'm thinking maybe that's because of GingerHDR importing directly into Premiere? I'll post the video unlisted shortly so you can see.

Thanks!

[/quote]http://youtu.be/a5TtDB6-h30

Jack I did add some color and contrast to the video but no sharpness. I did have more blue and details in the sky in another clip in Resolve but the anamorphic framing was not right so I started over in AE.I should have used a closeup of him on the bench, because he's a little soft. We have two more scenes to shoot before this movie is in the can. The DN x HD file from AE is 5gb. This Quicktime file is 745mb.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5TtDB6-h30&feature=youtu.be

I could not add the audio track because I did not get from the director and he's out of town until this weekend. I don't think I have seen one raw video and heard its ambiance soundtrack? I will start using the waveform and vectorscopes in Resolve from now on.

We shot the final scenes of another short film a month ago in H.264. Why? Because we shot the other scenes a year ago and I was really new to raw so, looking back, I think I played it safe. Ha ha ha.. I should have that footage this weekend. I'll upload a scene to show the difference between H.264 and raw.

Ginger HDR is awesome because you can drop raw files straight into AE/PP and you save hard drive space by not needing dng's or tiffs. If you can't "see the difference" with how it handle the colors try AE or Resolve for that part of the workflow. I have not used it yet but can say Ginger is worth the price because the two things mentioned above. Unless there is a free program that does what it do...

More time is needed using the raw workflow but the results are well worth it.

pavelpp

Guys, can someone take a look at my raw clip from 550d and tell me why I have so much noise in the shadows? It's shot at ISO 100. .. shouldn't it be much cleaner?

http://l.bitcasa.com/NMFbpUaL

And I also have another question: is it possible to enable black bars in the official build? Rewind's build is nice, but I want all the features of the official build as well...

ItsMeLenny

Quote from: pavelpp on August 16, 2013, 09:49:41 AM
Guys, can someone take a look at my raw clip from 550d and tell me why I have so much noise in the shadows? It's shot at ISO 100. .. shouldn't it be much cleaner?

Did you ETTR (expose to the right)?

pavelpp

mm, I don't think so

here's a frame with ETTR. Does not look much better :(

http://l.bitcasa.com/9K6i7-TX

mk11174

Anyone with a 550D able to find the correct addresses for Dual Iso so we can test it out, I will compile it if needed, but we need someone that  knows how to find the addresses we need. If it works on the 600D you would think we can get it going too!

These are the addresses it looks like we need to find. These lines are from 1% 600D code but I have no clue how to find the addresses 8[ I only know how to mess with the code and compile it.
        FRAME_CMOS_ISO_START = 0x406957C8; // CMOS register 0000 - for LiveView, ISO 100 (check in movie mode, not photo!)
        PHOTO_CMOS_ISO_START = 0x4069464C; // CMOS register 0000 - for photo mode, ISO 100

David J. Fulde

Quote from: mk11174 on August 16, 2013, 07:27:59 PM
Anyone with a 550D able to find the correct addresses for Dual Iso so we can test it out, I will compile it if needed, but we need someone that  knows how to find the addresses we need. If it works on the 600D you would think we can get it going too!

These are the addresses it looks like we need to find. These lines are from 1% 600D code but I have no clue how to find the addresses 8[ I only know how to mess with the code and compile it.

Shouldn't you be able to simply use CTRL/CMD + F?

also, I've been playing with RAW and, though the 'official' spec is 960X540, I'm currently playing with footage that was shot at 1280X344. Still messing with parameters so either tomorrow or Monday I should have some footage/a tutorial

pavelpp

Here's my experiment with unscaled 1720x728 @ 20fps . I manage to capture around 54-59 frames per take. Looks very nice!

Processed with Rawtherapee and encoded with ffmpeg/x264

mohanohi

Quote from: pavelpp on August 16, 2013, 12:43:41 PM
mm, I don't think so

here's a frame with ETTR. Does not look much better :(

http://l.bitcasa.com/9K6i7-TX

your expose isn't correct. Spot meter with your camera and +1 stop you will get good exposure in this particular shot. IMO ETTR does expose by taking everything in the frame. And hence your problem. Or get a light meter and expose properly. You won't get any noise in the shadow.
DOP, Editor, DIT, PL 5D, Ultra primes, Kowa lens