550D/T2i raw video recording port official thread

Started by dlrpgmsvc, May 22, 2013, 12:11:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

i see that moon is very popular these days :)
i've also made a video 2 days ago

1152x384 px @24fps

i used a dobsonian 6" telescope

http://1024times.com/moon.mp4

Quote from: blazraidr on July 23, 2013, 04:03:38 PM
Another test with RAW video. Shot using kit lens 55-250mm, in 5x zoom mode.

720p in 3:1 ratio, recorded at 23.976 fps until buffer filled up. Utilised Auto ETTR to get the most usable data from RAW.

tecgen

Hi everybody,

first of all I need to thank the whole Magic Lantern team for their great work. Its quite amazing what you have reached so far. I've got a lot respect for your work.

Today I did some test and shot some small videos from my balcony.

I am very impressed by the results. Now I am thinking about to buy a used 50d only for RAW video :)
Canon 5D Mark II, 50D, 550D/Rebel T2i, EF 40mm f/2.8 STM, Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8, EF 85 f1.8, EF 135 f2.8 SF, Zoom H2n

Soupertrooper

jackdelamare

Hello everyone, long time visitor first time poster.

I have a 550D which I've shot with for many years (most recently this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1W-Vu1wXJs) and I've been loving what the ML team have been doing with raw video as of recently, and amazed that even the 550D has been able to shoot raw.

I'm interested in shooting raw and in fact shot a little test yesterday, but I have a bigger question. I'm about to start production on another music video that's going to be shot in a sunny forest. I want to get the best quality I can (and have the ability to work with a higher dynamic range) and I feel like shooting raw is a wise idea, but I'm worried about a couple of things. Obviously the build is only in alpha stages right now and I noticed I do get the occassional frame drop that stops the recording. The lower resolution I go the less that occurs, but I want at least 1280x720 resolution and I'm worried my 550D won't be able to do this without constant frame dropping and screw-ups on set. I know that I'm going to need a faster SD card but can a faster SD card provide non-stop 720p recording?

What should I do? Is it worth pushing my camera and shooting the video in raw or should I stick to normal shooting? I'm just inexperienced with shooting raw and I wouldn't want anything to go wrong on set while we're trying to film within the allocated time.

Thanks!

tecgen

Yes, you can record in HD resolution (1280x720) with the 550d, but continuously only with 12,5 frames per second when your SD card can write the frames fast enough. When you choose a resolution and frame rate combination that exceeds 20MB/s you will get drop outs. But maybe you could buy a Canon EOS 50d. This model should be able to write around 80-90MB/s to an compact flash card.     

PS: Nice & professional looking music video. Good work!

best regards,
Marco
Canon 5D Mark II, 50D, 550D/Rebel T2i, EF 40mm f/2.8 STM, Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8, EF 85 f1.8, EF 135 f2.8 SF, Zoom H2n

BrotherD

Hi to all the Magic Lantern staff, members and readers. I haven't been this excited since my son was born!

Hey jackdelamare, The first thing I would like to say to you is I loved your video. You are an true artist indeed and your last comment inspired me to come hang out with the big dogs!I think, at the moment, Magic Lantern Raw, the t2i and music videos are a really good match. Shoot your video with the t2i because from watching "Twelve Ton Trouble" you will definitely hit a home run!

So far the best recording mode I found for continuous recording is 960x540, 23.97 16x9 or 2:35. I choose 23.97 because some of the members video use these settings and the videos look very good without having to use Twixtor.

Two weeks ago I was rendering two minute videos 1280x720 through Premiere or After Effects. They took on average 30-45 minutes per video to render? I am kind of new to both programs, transitioning from Sony Vegas. Two day ago I learned Resolve pink dot removal technique and decided to re-edited three of those videos and rendered them 1920x1080. They did not need titles or credits The rendering time was around five minutes per video. My workflow today is Eyeframe to Resolve. The plan for an upcoming short is to roundtrip with Resolve and CS6

The area I really need help with is the 'best" camera settings (aspect ratio) shooting 960x540 and editing (resizing) footage shot with the Panasonic LA 7200 anamorphic adapter (2;35). So far the best lens I have used that do not need a 0.5 diopter is a 28mm.

I want to thank the Magic Lantern team for providing these awesome updates! If any of you, one or two, not the whole team, come to St. Louis, lunch is on me!

Supermac

Hi guys, anyone know if there is a current 550d build with anamorphic preview?

Cheers

pooli

Hi guys. My test
I used MEOPTA ANAGON 2X Projection Anamorphic attachment with lens helios 44m on my canon550d
SD card
resolution - 960x540
aspect ratio 16:9
24 fps

1920x540 (3,55:1) on post

jackdelamare

Quote from: tecgen on July 26, 2013, 05:31:39 PM
Yes, you can record in HD resolution (1280x720) with the 550d, but continuously only with 12,5 frames per second when your SD card can write the frames fast enough. When you choose a resolution and frame rate combination that exceeds 20MB/s you will get drop outs. But maybe you could buy a Canon EOS 50d. This model should be able to write around 80-90MB/s to an compact flash card.     

PS: Nice & professional looking music video. Good work!

best regards,
Marco
So basically a 550D's max MB/s is around 20? So it can't be pushed higher than those resolutions, unless you go for a lower fps? And glad you liked my music video, thanks!

Quote from: BrotherD on July 26, 2013, 10:04:04 PMHey jackdelamare, The first thing I would like to say to you is I loved your video. You are an true artist indeed and your last comment inspired me to come hang out with the big dogs!I think, at the moment, Magic Lantern Raw, the t2i and music videos are a really good match. Shoot your video with the t2i because from watching "Twelve Ton Trouble" you will definitely hit a home run!
Thank you so much for your kind comments! You think I should shoot my music video using my 550D in RAW? Or stick to what I know won't cause problems (ie: normal h.264 shooting)? It's difficult. I think I need to get more used to shooting RAW. I went out yesterday and filmed some stuff in RAW and I'm using GingerHDR now to edit it through Premiere. Is this the best method? The workflows I've seen are what I'm dreading the most... GingerHDR seems to have given us the simplest way to edit RAW.

BrotherD

Jack my answer is yes, absolutely! Hey, now, if you have a 5dm3 or 50d, I would say use them first. You probably have already jumped out your editing chair seeing the details of that raw footage from your t2i. You will not get that clarity shooting H.264.

I am not expecting ML to make any more improvements to our camera. Right now I am more than satisfied. I have two music videos, a short film and some sound bites scheduled the next two weeks. Every one of them will be shot raw with theT2i. Reading viewers comments as they watch raw videos shot with the T2i at 960x540 I can "see' them scratching their head. People can not believe what they are seeing at that resolution. Magic Lantern Rah Rah, Rah Rah Rah!

Some weird things are happening. I have seen 50+ raw videos and I do not recall hearing natural sounds on one of them. I am "guilty" of this also. I posted two videos without audio and have three more without audio to post. Ha ha ha that's funny! Ambient sound is so needed! And I have two H4N's? No excuse. Some of the music added to the videos is so bad you have to turn it off to enjoy the raw footage.  The other "thing" ML raw is doing to us is turning us into architecture and landscape photographers. People are excited about shooting in their backyards or at their gutters. Where are the humans subjects? There is nothing like details of faces. Ha ha ha... What's good is we see more focus on good composition. That is how excited we are about ML raw!

My workflow today is Eyeframe to Resolve. That's it. Drop raw files in Eyeframe, set location. In location folder there are dng's and tiffs. Eyeframe then ask you if you want proxies. Import dng's into Resolve. However Resolve introduces pink dots that need removing. This tutorial on pink dot removal is really good! http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=6845.0 Adjusting sharpness and blur are very important. I think its sharpness in the top node down to around 6 and blur all the way up in the bottom node.

My workflow a month ago was raw to raw2dng-After Effects-Adobe Camera Raw for balancing images and color correction. Then render or dynamic link to Premiere. No pink dots to deal with in ACR but ACR default settings add tint and sharpness to the images. I would set sharpness and tint to zero in ACR before image balancing and color grading. Premiere and After Effects are very powerful but as of today the two problems I have are: I have only been using them a month and the rendering times are so slow. A two minute video take 30-40 minute. Same video takes five minutes in Resolve.

As of tomorrow my workflow will be Resolve round trip with CS6. (render in Resolve) This seven minute video explains the process:http://www.blackmagicuser.net/topic/127-resolve-to-premiere-cs6-adjusting-proxy-settings-for-workflow/

Jack, I hope this helps.
Derrick

BrotherD

Quote from: pooli on August 01, 2013, 02:59:58 PM
Hi guys. My test
I used MEOPTA ANAGON 2X Projection Anamorphic attachment with lens helios 44m on my canon550d
SD card
resolution - 960x540
24 fps

Pooli you seem to understand anamorphic ratios. Help me out. I am shooting with the T2I 960x540 and 16x9 with a Panasonic LA 7200, that has a 1.33 squeeze factor. If I want the image width to be 1280 or 1920 what size should the height be with the 1.33 squeeze? I'm using CS6 and Resolve. How do I unsqueeze the image in those programs?

In your footage the vertical number 540 did not change but the width did? Maybe, I think I might have something, the squeeze is width only? Then, how do you calculate 3.55:1 x 960 to get 1920? How would I calculate 1.33 x 960 to get 1280 or 1920? I hope my questions are clear.

All is well,
Derrick   

dlrpgmsvc

Quote from: pooli on August 01, 2013, 02:59:58 PM
Hi guys. My test
SD card
resolution - 960x540
24 fps

WOW ! Very interested ! Can you tell how you connected the anamorphic lens to the helios lens and then to 550D ? Can you post photos of the overall look and photos of particulars on how they are hooked up ? Many thanks !
If you think it's impossible, you have lost beforehand

pooli

QuotePooli you seem to understand anamorphic ratios. Help me out. I am shooting with the T2I 960x540 and 16x9 with a Panasonic LA 7200, that has a 1.33 squeeze factor. If I want the image width to be 1280 or 1920 what size should the height be with the 1.33 squeeze? I'm using CS6 and Resolve. How do I unsqueeze the image in those programs?

In your footage the vertical number 540 did not change but the width did? Maybe, I think I might have something, the squeeze is width only? Then, how do you calculate 3.55:1 x 960 to get 1920? How would I calculate 1.33 x 960 to get 1280 or 1920? I hope my questions are clear.

All is well,
Derrick

If you anamorphic factor of 1,33х you can get a 2.35:1 video . For example, if you have a height of 960, then it turns out to 2.35 x 960 = 2256 your frame width. I hope I understand you correctly.

BrotherD

Quote from: pooli on August 02, 2013, 12:47:42 AM

If you anamorphic factor of 1,33х you can get a 2.35:1 video . For example, if you have a height of 960, then it turns out to 2.35 x 960 = 2256 your frame width. I hope I understand you correctly.

Yes and thanks! I now understand the width part. Is the height calculated the same way? If the answer is yes the 960 x 540 unsqueezed image will be 2256 x 1269? If the answer is no please explain the height part. And lastly how do you crop it down to a 1920 or 1280 width? Pooli I really appreciate your help.

Best wishes,
Derrick

dlrpgmsvc

Quote from: BrotherD on August 02, 2013, 04:22:28 AM
Yes and thanks! I now understand the width part. Is the height calculated the same way?

Best wishes,
Derrick

Anamorphic means no-morphic, so not keeping the original shape. Only one dimension is squeezed, normally horizontal one. So height is not at all affected. This is the beauty and the main characteristic of anamorphic lens.
If you think it's impossible, you have lost beforehand

pooli

Quote from: dlrpgmsvc on August 02, 2013, 08:34:59 AM
Anamorphic means no-morphic, so not keeping the original shape. Only one dimension is squeezed, normally horizontal one. So height is not at all affected. This is the beauty and the main characteristic of anamorphic lens.

Yes, it's so

BrotherD

Quote from: dlrpgmsvc on August 02, 2013, 08:34:59 AM

Wow! Thanks Pooli and dlrpgmsvc for clearing this up. Now I can properly introduce the LA 7200 to Magic Lantern!

God Bless,
Derrick

dafassi

Hi! Im very new to RAW recording with the eos 550d.

Could you please tell me, what version and what additional files are need to get the MAX record size with best FPS?
I was reading things about variable rates.

What is the best size/fps we can have for NOW with the eos550D ?

ItsMeLenny

(Just tried Raw for the first time)

With the build I had it worked fine. <-- 23rd JULY

Upgraded to the latest auto build, every single frame was pink, of the 170. <-- 5th AUG

cwebb4

Can anyone comment on what is reasonably usable resolution wise on the 550d, say around 10 seconds. I understand that max continuous resolution is 960x540, is this really comparable sharpness and resolution wise to the 1080 h264, would those of you that have used and compared it opt for the 550 RAW over the h264?

I am considering shooting a project in RAW and could probably manage with 10-12 second bursts, what are we looking at roughly, for a 2.35 or 16x9 finish, i was thinking 1200x500 maybe?

blazraidr

Quote from: cwebb4 on August 05, 2013, 10:53:01 PM
Can anyone comment on what is reasonably usable resolution wise on the 550d, say around 10 seconds. I understand that max continuous resolution is 960x540, is this really comparable sharpness and resolution wise to the 1080 h264, would those of you that have used and compared it opt for the 550 RAW over the h264?

I am considering shooting a project in RAW and could probably manage with 10-12 second bursts, what are we looking at roughly, for a 2.35 or 16x9 finish, i was thinking 1200x500 maybe?

I can get 1280x426 for about 40 seconds without any skipped frames. I'm not completely sure which build I have though, it's one of the older ones, MemFixAll iirc.

Rewind

Quote from: cwebb4 on August 05, 2013, 10:53:01 PM

1200x500 is ok for 500+ frames = 21 sec at 24 fps

dafassi

By the way ... ReWind ... extreme finde hack-version! works well on my 550d!
in post the quality is amazing ... still one question.

i shot in 1472x420@24fps (canon set to 720p/50fps).
Scaling it up to HD (ie 1280x720) looks fantastic!

How do i have to export (codec?) without loosing the quality?

BrotherD

Quote from: jackdelamare on August 01, 2013, 03:42:42 PM
So basically a 550D's max MB/s is around 20? So it can't be pushed higher than those resolutions, unless you go for a lower fps? And glad you liked my music video, thanks!
Thank you so much for your kind comments! You think I should shoot my music video using my 550D in RAW? Or stick to what I know won't cause problems (ie: normal h.264 shooting)? It's difficult. I think I need to get more used to shooting RAW. I went out yesterday and filmed some stuff in RAW and I'm using GingerHDR now to edit it through Premiere. Is this the best method? The workflows I've seen are what I'm dreading the most... GingerHDR seems to have given us the simplest way to edit RAW.

Jack I was thinking about you today after shooting 90% of a short film. The director agreed to shoot it in raw and with the Panasonic LA 7200 anamorphic adapter, using a vintage Cosina 28mm lens. The lens and adapter worked so well together! I've been telling Alex that  I am not a fan of blown out highlights that are in most movies today? Two of my challenges were focus and capturing details in all the shots.  Every scene was shot outside today, most with ND filters because the LA 7200 works best when the taking lens is at 5.6.

We filled four 8gb cards, one 16gb card and half of another 16gb card. The biggest problem was with the only Kingston card. The 8gb class 10 card could only record between 235 - 400 frames per take before stopping. The three Scandisk 8gb cards recorded continuously even thought two of them are old class 6 cards bought in 2010 when I purchased the T2i. I think the Kingston card writes at only around 15mb per second. My year old Micro Center 16gb card recorded at most 400 frames per take but the new Micro Center 16gb card Alex purchased yesterday recorded around 1200 frames per take? I'm saying all this to say, most class 10 cards write too slow to record raw continuously at 960 x 540. Make sure your cards write faster than 21mb per second!

Even with the cards slowing down production I am looking forward to finishing the film in raw. I will post some footage by this weekend.

Happy shooting,
Derrick