550D/T2i raw video recording port official thread

Started by dlrpgmsvc, May 22, 2013, 12:11:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mk11174

I got Live View going with Dual ISO it looks like.

At first I was not sure it worked till after I used RAW2DNG on the RAW then I dragged the DNG's onto the CR2HDR.exe and it modified the interlaced ones correctly.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/kjj8ddkkfmge8vz/ML_550D_Dual_ISO_Aug_25_2013_Update.zip

by the way, here is address for Live View

FRAME_CMOS_ISO_START = 0x40695494; // CMOS register 0000 - for LiveView, ISO 100 (check in movie mode, not photo!)
        FRAME_CMOS_ISO_COUNT =          6; // from ISO 100 to 3200
        FRAME_CMOS_ISO_SIZE  =         30; // distance between ISO 100 and ISO 200 addresses, in bytes
500D/T1i  550D/T2i  600D/T3i  700D/T5i

pooli

I do not understand how to properly work with the cr2hdr.exe?  :(
I drag file .DNG(made using raw2dng of .RAW) on cr2hdr.exe- nothing happens!

Rewind

At first I was not sure it worked till after I used RAW2DNG on the RAW then I dragged the DNG's onto the CR2HDR.exe and it modified the interlaced ones correctly.

Now one can process dual iso video just with new raw2dng. It combines dual exposures automatically right from raw file and gives the ready dng's at output.
Check the first post in this thread: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=7139.0
There is a link to the latest raw2dng at the postprocessing section.

Rewind

Quote from: pooli on August 25, 2013, 10:42:45 AM

cr2hdr is for cr2 files, as its name says )

mk11174

Quote from: Rewind on August 25, 2013, 10:46:19 AM
Now one can process dual iso video just with new raw2dng. It combines dual exposures automatically right from raw file and gives the ready dng's at output.
Check the first post in this thread: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=7139.0
There is a link to the latest raw2dng at the postprocessing section.
I know  :) I was trying to process it wrong at first but figured it out not to long after, I was just excited after finally finding the address I did not take time to process it correctly but in the end I got my Raw video processed correctly.  ;)

Rewind

I was just excited after finally finding the address...
Wish I could shake your hand, man.

mk11174

Quote from: pooli on August 25, 2013, 10:42:45 AM
Maybe it is the version I use, but for me, I used RAW2DNG to extract my RAW file, I then got Interlaced DNG's then I just selected all the DNG's and dragged them onto the CR2HDR and then I was left with normal looking DNG's that I was able to adjust more dynamically, so this way worked for me.

As for the CR2 stills, I just simply dragged them onto the cr2hdr file, I am using windows version by the way.

Here are the versions I am using.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/j93ojwx50ddv201/Raw2DNG_cr2hdr_550D_Windows.zip

Oh! One important thing, make sure your CR2 or DNG files that you plan to convert are in same folder as the CR2HDR.EXE file or maybe just use simple folder names, I dont think the long folder names work very well when it comes to drag and drop process. Have not tested yet, but I just put my DNG and CR2 files in the folder with CR2HDR.EXE file till it processed them.

Update! Scratch what I said about having to drag the DNG on the CR2HDR.EXE I must of been seeing things earlier cause now that its lighter out I can test more and just dragging the RAW file onto the RAW2DNG.exe I am using I am getting a normal image now and when it is processing I see its working correctly and the DNG files are very dynamic as they were before in my test but I swore the DNG came out interlaced, so Pardon me for my mess up, I must of been viewing a CR2 at the time LOL.

pooli

Quote from: mk11174 on August 25, 2013, 11:01:17 AM
Oh! One important thing, make sure your CR2 or DNG files that you plan to convert are in same folder as the CR2HDR.EXE file or maybe just use simple folder names, I dont think the long folder names work very well when it comes to drag and drop process. Have not tested yet, but I just put my DNG and CR2 files in the folder with CR2HDR.EXE file till it processed them.

Yes, the problem was in this! Thank you. :)

dirty_dollar

i have a sd card speed 6 can i shoot a raw on it ?

glubber

Quote from: mk11174 on August 25, 2013, 11:01:17 AM
Maybe it is the version I use, but for me, I used RAW2DNG to extract my RAW file, I then got Interlaced DNG's then I just selected all the DNG's and dragged them onto the CR2HDR and then I was left with normal looking DNG's that I was able to adjust more dynamically, so this way worked for me.

As for the CR2 stills, I just simply dragged them onto the cr2hdr file, I am using windows version by the way.

Here are the versions I am using.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/j93ojwx50ddv201/Raw2DNG_cr2hdr_550D_Windows.zip

Update! Scratch what I said about having to drag the DNG on the CR2HDR.EXE I must of been seeing things earlier cause now that its lighter out I can test more and just dragging the RAW file onto the RAW2DNG.exe I am using I am getting a normal image now and when it is processing I see its working correctly and the DNG files are very dynamic as they were before in my test but I swore the DNG came out interlaced, so Pardon me for my mess up, I must of been viewing a CR2 at the time LOL.

First all: Thank you very much for your efforts! Your hard work is really appreciated!

Strangely i experience the same interlaced look of the DUAL-ISO-RAW-video when converted with the raw2dng-app.
When previewing in LR 5 at 50% everything seems fine, but at 100% or higher its clearly interlaced. Dropping the dngs on the CR2HDR.exe the files look right again.

I also got on CR2-file which won't develop in CR2HDR, it crashes at half way.

Nevertheless i'm very happy about the improvement the ML-dev team brought again to my 550D  :D

@dirty_dollar: i guess its too slow, but just give it a try.
EOS 550D // Sigma 18-200 // Sigma 18-70 // Canon 10-18 STM

FailedRenegade

MK11174 I can't thank you enough for your work getting dual iso working. The first few tests of it I did look great. Now to play with it in video mode...

ddelreal

Any chance we might get film-gamma ProRes out of our beloved 550D?

David J. Fulde

Did some tests with Dual ISO. due to the lower resolution it is ugly as Sin and not really worth it.

http://imgur.com/a/fFzox are some sample stills. These were NOT graded to look pretty, but rather designed to draw out as much detail as possible

mairook

Hi, this is my first test. I hope you like it.

http://youtu.be/iW7cWm4Ny2U

Can any one notice some excesive sharpness in the tree areas... how I can fix it?

saludos from México.

<iframe width="960" height="720" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/iW7cWm4Ny2U" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

mk11174

Quote from: David J. Fulde on August 26, 2013, 01:54:18 AM
Did some tests with Dual ISO. due to the lower resolution it is ugly as Sin and not really worth it.

http://imgur.com/a/fFzox are some sample stills. These were NOT graded to look pretty, but rather designed to draw out as much detail as possible
I think Dual ISO was more for those hard lighting situations, not really for quality because it does lose resolution, but certain situations would make it a must have feature. It is for sure not an every situation tool. But when it is the right condition, this feature kicks but!  :D

David J. Fulde

Quote from: mk11174 on August 26, 2013, 02:59:52 AM
but certain situations would make it a must have feature.

Hit the nail on the head, my friend :)

dlrpgmsvc

The head post in this thread is updated with the incredible porting work by mk11174 :

DUAL ISO for PHOTOS AND VIDEOS !

mk11174 for president !!! Now !!!   8)
If you think it's impossible, you have lost beforehand

mk11174

Quote from: dlrpgmsvc on August 26, 2013, 11:54:23 AM
The head post in this thread is updated with the incredible porting work by mk11174 :

DUAL ISO for PHOTOS AND VIDEOS !

mk11174 for president !!! Now !!!   8)
Thanks 8] And lots of credit to 1% making it much easier to find the addresses for the module with his changes to the adtg module, I couldn't get the module to run stable in live view, but it was just long enough to get the address I needed for Dual Iso module. And of course none of us would have anything without good old Alex! And we can't forget gg3g0 for the original adtg module. And Indi who got us the addresses to even start using the adtg module to find the Dual Iso addresses  ;) I hope I covered everyone lol!

zuzukasuma

DUAL ISO & CR2HDR works like a charm

I really like the results, be back with samples. you can not notice any interlacing even on %100 view. great work folks!
in a complicated relationship with eos m.

Froggy

Amazing!! But how to process the raw video using this????
I launched "raw2dng my.raw"and get DNG-files. Processed DNGs in Lightroom....
Sorry, But I didn't see a difference between RAW and RAW-DualISO.
Maybe I do something wrong...

jagnje

I`ve been folowing this thread for for a while now...has our beloved 550d finally hit a wall? What is the current best thing you can do with it?
I film alot of skateboarding so 14fps raw is unfortunatly not an option for me. Dual ISO...this I`ve seen for the first time today. Does it help with anything but exposure? I guess it can be very usefull for me when a rider is riding inbetween shade an sun. Anything else?
Time to get the 50D?

BrotherD

Quote from: dirty_dollar on August 25, 2013, 03:26:44 PM
i have a sd card speed 6 can i shoot a raw on it ?

Dirty, the short answer is no, well, maybe. yes. My class 6 Scandisk Extreme III cards from 2010 works fine. My newer class 10 cards from Kingston and Micro center write slower and not as long as the the the Scandisk. Get the fastest cards you can afford. Do a little research.

Derrick

David J. Fulde

Quote from: jagnje on August 26, 2013, 11:14:50 PM
I`ve been folowing this thread for for a while now...has our beloved 550d finally hit a wall? What is the current best thing you can do with it?
I film alot of skateboarding so 14fps raw is unfortunatly not an option for me. Dual ISO...this I`ve seen for the first time today. Does it help with anything but exposure? I guess it can be very usefull for me when a rider is riding inbetween shade an sun. Anything else?
Time to get the 50D?

If you film 960x540 you can blow it up to 720 with no issue, and you can still blow it up to 1080 and it looks fine. You need a fast enough card to actually reach that resolution (over 30MB/s write, otherwise you are trying to push the card to the max and it gets unstable)

dirty_dollar

Quote from: BrotherD on August 26, 2013, 11:45:11 PM
Dirty, the short answer is no, well, maybe. yes. My class 6 Scandisk Extreme III cards from 2010 works fine. My newer class 10 cards from Kingston and Micro center write slower and not as long as the the the Scandisk. Get the fastest cards you can afford. Do a little research.

Derrick

OK thanks Just need a little time for research Sooner