RAWanizer - windows batch generation of video files from RAW

Started by marten, May 21, 2013, 03:32:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

marten

Also added info on how I use RAWanizer in my workflow to the first post.

Jakobmen

uhmm fresh installed but its not starting up in windows 7 64x

i dbl click and the task manager shows it but i dont see the GUI
Canon 5D3

Andy600

Thanks Marten :)

The V3 patch link isn't working for me. It's trying to link to another ML forum post or something?
Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

marten

Quote from: Jakobmen on May 24, 2013, 11:58:57 PM

I did a test install on a win 7 64-bit machine before I uploaded it and it ran fine. Have you tried restatring the computer... I'm running it on several 64x machines. Did you uninstall the old version (if you had it) before installing the new version?

marten

Quote from: Andy600 on May 25, 2013, 12:02:54 AM

The V3 patch link isn't working for me. It's trying to link to another ML forum post or something?

There is no patch currently, you need to do the full install.

Andy600

I should have read the update properly  ::)
Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

1%

Custom uprez like adobe ACR does to the tiffs. A way to do this with UFRAW and not lose quality... ie have 2k 16Bpc tiffs?

pacman829

Quote from: Jakobmen on May 24, 2013, 11:58:57 PM

I actually had the same issue, so i went into the application folder and found the .exe and double clicked it directly (since i thought maybe the shortcut was just bad)

Turns out I need to update my version of the .net framework to version 4.5 in order to make it run ..  (got a pop up message as soon as i clicked on the file directly )
5mkII User

Jakobmen

Quote from: pacman829 on May 25, 2013, 05:54:55 AM

I actually had the same issue, so i went into the application folder and found the .exe and double clicked it directly (since i thought maybe the shortcut was just bad)

Turns out I need to update my version of the .net framework to version 4.5 in order to make it run ..  (got a pop up message as soon as i clicked on the file directly )

i tried that even uninstalling reinstalling .net framework
Canon 5D3

pacman829

Thats wierd bro, it's working perfect for me

Thanks a lot to the developer , by the way

I was actually thinking about writing some kind of raw2dng automated script as i cam upon this thread
5mkII User

marten

Quote from: Jakobmen on May 25, 2013, 05:57:28 AM
i tried that even uninstalling reinstalling .net framework

Can you try this patch and see if it makes any difference Patch

Levinson

5d3, 5d2 & 550d

Levinson

Marten - can I make a feature request?

Would it be possible to have the option to not generate the Tiff files, and allow only .dng generation and proxy video if needed?

Could we specifiy an output drive and folder?

Again, much appreciated :)

5d3, 5d2 & 550d

marten

Quote from: 1% on May 25, 2013, 01:57:44 AM
Custom uprez like adobe ACR does to the tiffs. A way to do this with UFRAW and not lose quality... ie have 2k 16Bpc tiffs?
[/quote

Can you explain a little bit more what you mean?

marten

Quote from: Levinson on May 25, 2013, 10:03:14 AM
Marten - can I make a feature request?

Would it be possible to have the option to not generate the Tiff files, and allow only .dng generation and proxy video if needed?

Could we specifiy an ouput drive and folder?

Again, much appreciated :)

When dng are converted each file needs to be stored for the next step, video creation. So we cannot skip this step. What I could do is an option to delete the tiffs when video is created. Would that be helpful?

Regarding output folder, I'm working on it.

Levinson

Re: my Tiff question - of course!!! You are right, silly me. Don't bother with the tiffs deletion on my part.

Re: folders and drives question - that's great.

I have encountered an "unhandled exception error" while unpacking one of my raw from today. The error prompt gives the option to continue. If I click continue, the remaining .dng files are 0Kb in size. It always gets part way through the .raw file (same place each time) when the error appears. I cannot use your Rawanizer or Raw2dng program after that without 0Kb dngs being created, regardless of what .raw file I use. I must restart the PC for the apps to work again.

The error is quite lengthy. Is there a way to copy and paste what appears in the error dialogue? - if that is of any help to you.

Cheers

Lev

5d3, 5d2 & 550d

marten

Quote from: Levinson on May 25, 2013, 01:07:18 PM
I have encountered an "unhandled exception error" while unpacking one of my raw from today. The error prompt gives the option to continue. If I click continue, the remaining .dng files are 0Kb in size. It always gets part way through the .raw file (same place each time) when the error appears. I cannot use your Rawanizer or Raw2dng program after that without 0Kb dngs being created, regardless of what .raw file I use. I must restart the PC for the apps to work again.

The error is quite lengthy. Is there a way to copy and paste what appears in the error dialogue? - if that is of any help to you.

Do you get the same error if you only use raw2dng, not RAWanizer?

Levinson

yes, that's right. sorry, misread that. I didn't try using raw2dng immediately after a reboot. Raw2dng was only tried after your program reported the error.

however - maybe ignore that post as I've just copied all the files to another hard drive, and both converters are now working so far (but not yet complete). It appears it may have been that drive.

I'll let you know how far I get this time.

Cheers
5d3, 5d2 & 550d

Levinson

No problems this time, it got through everything.

I'm a bit stumped, but glad it worked.

Sorry if that caused some worry.

Again, great program and thanks :)
5d3, 5d2 & 550d

1%

QuoteCan you explain a little bit more what you mean?

A few people are using adobe ACR and its 300DPI resize to uprez the DNG to TIFF when converting. Its annoying the way photoshop does it in batch.. it takes quite a while, it opens each file in photoshop first. Would be cool if this could be done without ACR via UFRAW. Also bit depth has to be set to 16 in ACR, dunno if ufraw is already doing this.

Doing resizing in after effects or some other editors causes quality loss because it assumes the DPI of video.

Tried the latest... a lot of options are there already.. I think the 16Bit one? The sliders are a little confusing though, no way to get back to the starting point and the changes don't apply real time. Also I hit develop and it doesn't do anything... if I make the custom string tho and re-do the tiffs it works.

Just hard to do brightness/noise/ca/contrast here because it doesn't update right away and no way to reset individual controls. Pro-Photo rgb is good.. I was surprised my colors went to normal with no shifts and just awb (which adds too much green vs too much magenta out of the camera). I guess the larger color space is better.

marten

Quote from: 1% on May 25, 2013, 05:08:48 PM
Tried the latest... a lot of options are there already.. I think the 16Bit one? The sliders are a little confusing though, no way to get back to the starting point and the changes don't apply real time. Also I hit develop and it doesn't do anything... if I make the custom string tho and re-do the tiffs it works.

Just hard to do brightness/noise/ca/contrast here because it doesn't update right away and no way to reset individual controls. Pro-Photo rgb is good.. I was surprised my colors went to normal with no shifts and just awb (which adds too much green vs too much magenta out of the camera). I guess the larger color space is better.

Thanks for feedback. Since I use dcraw for converting dng to tiff I'm bound by its option regarding brightness etc. You are right about it not updating instantly, dcraw takes some time to develop and I have to wait for it. Try use the half option and it will work a lot faster. There is one thing I will try to do to update faster, but don't know if that will succeed.

To reset the slider to start position, just right click the slider. I know it's not intuitive, but I couldn't easily get a dblclick event from it, apperently it's not fired in windows. Maybe later.

The develop button does nothing if the auto develop checkbox is checked. This is an option for slow computer, maybe confusing...

Also I just noticed I slipped in some swedish on the save button. 'Spara' button is 'Save' and saves and closes the window to use the settings.

These settings are for dng to tiff conversion, so they only apply when you run that step.

I will look at your suggestions and see what I can do, thanks.

1%

Best program by far. Very easy to process like 20 raws at once. Video conversion speeds things up too, don't have to import into AE and render. I like the full size tiffs if I'm doing that though. Maybe process 1/2s and then re-do them for full size.

I have  a ~3.7ghz quad with 16gb so should be enough.

pacman829

I think I spoke too soon ...

Woke up today to shoot some test footage, and when i went to open up RAWanizer I got this error

Tried uninstalling, reinstalling, repairing, running as admin.... nothing seems to work .. :S

Specs :

AMD 4.0ghz FX 8530,12gb ram, win7_64x

EDIT: I got it working by moving the files into a new folder on my desktop ... for whatever reason it wasnt working from the program files (x86) folder ... :( ...  but atleast its working now
5mkII User

pacman829

If it's not too much trouble I do have one request :

with the folder organization ; would it be possible to have the .raw files, tiff files, and dng, placed in one folder for each clip  ?

Instead of raw + dng[tiff] 

As an option, of course, so people can choose their preference
5mkII User

marten

Quote from: pacman829 on May 25, 2013, 08:20:05 PM
If it's not too much trouble I do have one request :

with the folder organization ; would it be possible to have the .raw files, tiff files, and dng, placed in one folder for each clip  ?

Instead of raw + dng[tiff] 

As an option, of course, so people can choose their preference

Do you mean that you don't want the tiffs to be in a subfolder to the dng. Currently it is creating a dng folder for each clip, but then the tiffs are stored in a sub folder to that. Could you give an example of the structure you would prefer?