5D2 RAW video Builds 14-Bit

Started by a.d., May 20, 2013, 05:27:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ted ramasola

Quote from: Kharak on December 30, 2013, 08:50:23 AM
Somebody say something about Audio???

yup. 5D mkII raw video now has audio. ;)  ...16 bit 48 khz.
5DmkII  / 7D
www.ramasolaproductions.com
Texas

Yoshiyuki Blade

Just tested audio recording. Ran a recording till it filled a 16GB card (~4 mins). Audio seemed in sync throughout the video, but cut off in the last 10 seconds or so. It's probably because I let it run till it force stopped.

reddeercity

Well it look like A.D. has given the 5D2 Users a Late Christmas Gift  ;D
I just took the new build(the disclaimer one in crop mode warning) for a test drive from A.D. Hack Build for MLV with Audio .
Being I have just started to test it , from my first 3 records with audio
I would have to give 2 Thumb Up!!
All the Concerns I had with MLV format & global draw off I think have been
address. I still have to test it with all my hdmi devices .
So far my results for this build are:
continuous recording @ 1872x936 23.976p between 68 to 73 MB/s  fill my Lexar 1000x 32GB No frame drop.
Buffer fill method - 2 (that seem to be the fastest setting)
Preview - Hacked No Preview
The audio lines up  with the images very well.
Used my wireless sennheiser setup with line in on the 5D2
Very clean and clear audio at 16bit 48kHz 1.5 Mb/s. One thing I notice thou in FCPX
in metadata for the Audio it show the frame rate @ 23.976 .
I guess that would have something to do with the smpte time code.
:)
Edit: But we did Loose 1880x#### so just 1856 or 1872

reddeercity

I though I should test out the Raw module that with the MLV raw & sound module.
There is still issue with Global Draw/Low performance .
You can kill GD but still have the Black Bars on the top & bottom.
also now there is overlays in Crop mode. :(
My recommendation is to keep to the Oct.24th build for original raw format.
If you what Audio with the raw use the new build for the 5D2 MLV format.
I'm confused why, they fixed the global draw issue & low performance  in the MLV format but not the
original raw format ?

ted ramasola

MLV with sound recording using KB 64 gig 1000x I was able to fill up CF with 2 resolutions.

1728 x 972 16:9 and 1856 x 928 2:1.

1872 x 936 would skip at around 8 minutes.

I hope the devs can find a way to implement framing in MLV just like with the old raw_rec.mo
5DmkII  / 7D
Texas

a1ex

Quote from: reddeercity on December 31, 2013, 09:34:14 AM
I'm confused why, they fixed the global draw issue & low performance  in the MLV format but not the
original raw format ?
I don't get it, doesn't turning off Global Draw bring back the old speeds? If it doesn't, I'll look into it.

For the UI, I said it before, I recommend adding a new item into the main GlobalDraw menu (something like "turn off while recording") instead of module-specific hacks.

Quote from: ted ramasola on December 31, 2013, 10:07:19 AM
I hope the devs can find a way to implement framing in MLV just like with the old raw_rec.mo
What exactly do you mean by this? (what's the difference?)

ted ramasola

@A1ex,

I meant the frame guide, like the white rec or black border. It disappears when recording starts so it is difficult to frame a moving subject.
Also, on the mkII, the overlays don't return after recording. I have to turn off LV off and on again to bring back the overlays and information back on.

Unlike on the 7D, the overlays come back on after recording.
5DmkII  / 7D
Texas

a1ex

If it disappears, it's because you turn off Global Draw, right?

If you use a minimal set of overlays (everything off in the Overlay menu, but Global Draw on), do you still get performance problems?

ted ramasola

in Overlays tab: every item OFF except GlobalDraw = Liveview

So in my lcd I can see the info on screen, Vu meters, temp etc. There is also black bordered framing.
So when I start recording, the black borders and the info(meters etc) disappears,

replaced with a buffer status graphic on the top part and elapsed info/frames expected info on the bottom part.

when I stop recording, the black borders and ML info dont return, instead the semi transparent canon letterboxing appears. No other info is displayed.
5DmkII  / 7D
Texas

a1ex

In MLV there are also some global draw menus (didn't try it lately, only looked at the code). Are these menus set to turn off global draw automatically? (if yes, change them to leave global draw on).

ted ramasola

ok. I think I found it.

In Raw Video (MLV) menu there is an entry

DISABLE G. DRAW default setting is OFF, I turned it to ON so now Overlays info including framing stays on screen now while recording.

Isn't this wrongly worded? It should just say Global Draw NOT Disable G Draw as it seemes to do the opposite of what it says.
When record is started the buffer graphic and the elapsed frames/expected frames and data rate info conflicts with the other info thus cluttering the screen with flickering artifacts.

edit:
Changed the screen layout to 16:10 hdmi, t/b  fixed the clashing graphics.

5DmkII  / 7D
Texas

a1ex

Yes, just make sure g3gg0 knows about it (I'm not sure if he follows this thread). A patch is also welcome.

a.d.

@ted
g3gg0 is still porting the LVinfo therefore the on-screen conflicts are the "expected" behaviour.

@Boygetslost
Thanks, Chris! I added your tutorial on the first page.

reddeercity

This is my HDMI test results on MLV with Audio enabled:
HDMI devices (Zacuto EVF & Atomos Ninja HDMI recorder)
With HDMI>Largest Frame size Continuous record,
1872x850 23.976p 2.20:1  with Audio 22,710/15:47 min 60GB 67.9MB/s buffer method 1
Crop Mode > 1856x938 23.976p with Audio 20,000 frames 68 MB/s buffer method 0

Tried the nightly build from Jan-1 MLV, and could get larger frame size continuous with HDMI
1856x930 23.976p 2:1 19,000 frames 55GB buffer method 1
Crash 2 times with hdmi plugin when I tried to record 1856x1004 and or 1872x1012, the buffer just filled up with blue color then  lockup
Battery pull & reboot ok after that.
Any Sizes in the 1.85:1 or 16.9:1 are not possible in Large sizes more then 20 or 30 second clips
It seems on the 5D2 you are limited to about 70-73 MB/s without hdmi active
and with it active then that drops to about 65-68 MB/s & in crop mode to about 74MB/s
Its definitely usable without hdmi at this point, run & gun style with audio  ;) 

Africashot

Quote from: reddeercity on January 02, 2014, 02:28:01 AM
Its definitely usable without hdmi at this point, run & gun style with audio  ;)

Great news and thanks for testing!
ML 5D2 & T3i

bnvm

I have been using the newest build for a little while and have noticed a few things. Sometimes the recording will start go a few frames and then freeze up, the buffer no longer fills and the number of frames recorded stays the same but it acts like it is still recording. I stop the recording and go into the menu the MLV Raw menu shows stopping... but never does. I have to turn of the camera to get things working again.

Second occasionally when I run mlv_dump --dng, I will get a missing dng. A recent recording was missing just frame 181 out of 367 frames for example. Anyone else experiencing any of these?

Also I am using sound recording as well, so that may have something to do with it.

dariSSight

Quote from: reddeercity on January 02, 2014, 02:28:01 AM
This is my HDMI test results on MLV with Audio enabled:
HDMI devices (Zacuto EVF & Atomos Ninja HDMI recorder)
With HDMI>Largest Frame size Continuous record,
1872x850 23.976p 2.20:1  with Audio 22,710/15:47 min 60GB 67.9MB/s buffer method 1
Crop Mode > 1856x938 23.976p with Audio 20,000 frames 68 MB/s buffer method 0

Tried the nightly build from Jan-1 MLV, and could get larger frame size continuous with HDMI
1856x930 23.976p 2:1 19,000 frames 55GB buffer method 1
Crash 2 times with hdmi plugin when I tried to record 1856x1004 and or 1872x1012, the buffer just filled up with blue color then  lockup
Battery pull & reboot ok after that.
Any Sizes in the 1.85:1 or 16.9:1 are not possible in Large sizes more then 20 or 30 second clips
It seems on the 5D2 you are limited to about 70-73 MB/s without hdmi active
and with it active then that drops to about 65-68 MB/s & in crop mode to about 74MB/s

So MLV Audio & Video work great with the Dec 30 build, RAW Audio & Video work great up to 20-30 seconds and RAW works great without audio in Oct 24 build?
Canon 5D Mark II

reddeercity

Quote from: dariSSight on January 04, 2014, 12:33:27 AM
So MLV Audio & Video work great with the Dec 30 build,RAW works great without audio in Oct 24 build?
Yes MLV raw with Audio is working very well, the nighty build from Jan. 1st seems to be a little bit faster
with hdmi. I'm just finishing off a short test of about 3-4 Min, at 1856x928(continuous with hdmi)  should be ready tomorrow to post.
And yes the Oct 24th build is the one to use for Non MLV raw (old format)
Quote from: dariSSight on January 04, 2014, 12:33:27 AM
RAW Audio & Video work great up to 20-30 seconds?
Yes, But you can get Continuous recording without hdmi active, but in 2:1 A.R. like, 1872x936, 1856x928 and smaller
just not HD A.R. 1.85:1, 16:9 in larger frame size ,etc. 1872x1012 there limited to 20-30 second.

reddeercity

Just to confirm there is Headphone Monitoring on the 5D2
with MLV Raw+Audio, works very well.

oddname

Is it just me having issues with the overlay dissappearing when recording, despite it isnt supposed too, then never returns until reset?
The framing etc is just gone, so dont really know where Im shooting.

andyshon

Some stuff shot in crop mode. I really like the gritty look the footage has, be great for a music video or something. Bit of a beast to use though.

reddeercity

Here a short test with MLV+Audio on the nighty build form Jan.1st
with me talking and counting to Ten plus a short tutorial on how to setup
MLV with audio, on the 5D2  :)

Kharak

Thanks David!

I'll give the Sound a try now.

If I record 2 channels with my mic, will that be a problem with the MLV_snd ?

once you go raw you never go back

reddeercity

Quote from: Kharak on January 06, 2014, 03:57:40 PM
Thanks David!

I'll give the Sound a try now.

If I record 2 channels with my mic, will that be a problem with the MLV_snd ?
You should Ok , but I didn't check on a  2 channel Mic.
:)

silvertonesx24

I tested the Dec 30 build with audio filming b camera for a live show for a friend- it seems to have come out OK, but the build is too buggy to use for any serious work- mostly that the global draw doesn't turn off and some recordings just stop instantly and require a camera reboot. Oct 24 is still the one to use, for professional paid work at least. Too many corrupted outputs on the new one, slower speeds, and random file stops for now for me to move to MLV.

Is it possible to use regular old raw with audio at some point?