5D2 RAW video Builds 14-Bit

Started by a.d., May 20, 2013, 05:27:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doyle4

looks to me the dng sequence when imported into AE the frame rate isnt set to 24fps/23.976, import the dng's right click on it interpret footage and change the frame rate to 24fps, or watever u shot at.

Samco

Quote from: Kharak on September 23, 2013, 02:49:46 PM
1. Never had this issue man, so I suggest you format card in camera and re-install ML. Or are these just flashes on the screen or do you also see pink flashes on the actual DNG's?

2. Not sure about this, is you ISO set to Auto in canon menu? Your dial on top of the camera, needs to be at M - Mode (Manual).

3. Are you referring to Focus peaking? Cause its available in the last 3-4 builds. Called FPeaking in menu I think and there is Digic peaking which you adjust according to the FPeaking.

Hope it helps.

Everything is set to manual, after I formatted and re installed, both the jumping exposure and the pink flashes seem to have disappeared.

The red dot is a dead pixel but it only appears in video mode, does not come up in photos. There is a lot of talk about it but no one seems to have a solution other than sending it in?

Kharak

Quote from: Samco on September 24, 2013, 06:43:32 PM
Everything is set to manual, after I formatted and re installed, both the jumping exposure and the pink flashes seem to have disappeared.

The red dot is a dead pixel but it only appears in video mode, does not come up in photos. There is a lot of talk about it but no one seems to have a solution other than sending it in?

Glad it worked for ya.

Regarding the dead pixel.. I used to have one, that was before RAW. But there is a way for you to do a manual Sensor Cleaning which will fix certain "dead" pixels (worked for me). I don't remember the specifics, but you can google it or youtube it. Basically you go in to canon menu and select manual sensor cleaning, you click it and the camera will start doing a sensor cleaning indefinitely. When I did it, I was told to let the camera clean for 1 min. You can't control anything in the mean time, if I remember correctly. So not sure if you have to just turn off the camera or not. But these are the basics. I suggest you google this to get confirmation. There is a video on youtube which explains it.
once you go raw you never go back

reddeercity

Just testing the Sept.20th built. :)
I notice a decrease in Speed a little, When the hdmi is plug in
to evf and or ninja recorder. At 1856x1004 23.976p about 3000 to 3500 Frames.
With out them plug in to the hdmi port i can maintain 1856x1004 23.976p @75MB/s
for about  14,250 Frames = 42GB
but when the evf and or hdmi recorder are pluged in i have to drop down to 1880x930 @23.976.
in which i get about 15,000 Fames=43 GB.

I was wondering if the HDMI port takes extra resources  to stream the 60i signal ?
being it has a 2:3 pulldown, that can be exacted by "Reverse Telecine"
But on the Brighter Side there is No more Clashes with the hdmi connected  :D
After recording Raw.
So to keep the backup & evf  working i'll use 1880x930 for now.  :)

I will be testing out the Workflow tomorrow afternoon,
I'll be filming a Dentist office Promo/testamentary, Mostly Head shots.

xNiNELiVES

I'm starting to wonder, will there ever be anymore speed improvements?

reddeercity

Quote from: xNiNELiVES on September 25, 2013, 12:26:09 AM
I'm starting to wonder, will there ever be anymore speed improvements?
I have not really seen a big gain in performance since mid to late July .
its looking like we may have reach the limit with 5d2.
At lest with is version of ML Raw. 

xNiNELiVES

Pijer

Hello, guys,
i have been testing video raw and I keep getting back green colored picture (see link). Could anybody tell me what am I missing? Thank You. petr. link:https://plus.google.com/photos/109116047125258921069/albums/5926826577361752993?authkey=CIDF686kw_fhgwE

bnvm

What software are you using to read the dng's and what converter are you using to convert raw to dng (raw2dng or raw2cdng) ?

a.d.

@Doyle4
Sorry, Currently I don't have much times for it, 'cause I need to code from scratch! (procrastinate)
@Pijer
Yes, more infos please!

Kharak

Quote from: a.d. on September 25, 2013, 05:15:19 PM
@Doyle4
Sorry, Currently I don't have much times for it, 'cause I need to code from scratch! (procrastinate)
@Pijer
Yes, more infos please!

Yo! a.d. My king!

Can you clarify a bit on why you need to code from scratch?

With love.

Your eternal servant.

Kharak ;)

Pijer

Thank You guys, so much!
I am using raw2cdng coz raw2dng link at the formum is (was) broken. To read dng I use lightroom.
Thank You.
p.

bnvm

Quote from: Pijer on September 25, 2013, 06:16:19 PM
Thank You guys, so much!
I am using raw2cdng coz raw2dng link at the formum is (was) broken. To read dng I use lightroom.
Thank You.
p.

I don't have light room but I had a similar issue with cdng's in another app. Everthing was green in there as well, in that app I had to un check and option for using color matrix from the meta data. I am not sure but I think it's either the Color Matrix or Forward Matrix data stored in the exif that is not correct and it is messing things up. You may want to try raw2dng instead and see if the problem goes away, it doesn't write as much meta data to the file.

Try the link at one the first post of this topic for downloading a.d's module. There is a link to the most current raw2dng there.

bnvm

How do I re-enable global draw during raw recording? I am no longer trying to squeeze every last bit of speed out of the camera anymore and I would like to have magic zoom and focus peaking back for raw shooting. I remember there was an option to disable during raw shooting but cannot find it any more. Thanks.

Doyle4

@a.d.

No worries dude, thats understandable, thanks for getting back to me.

Doyle4

Quote from: reddeercity on September 25, 2013, 01:54:33 AM
I have not really seen a big gain in performance since mid to late July .
its looking like we may have reach the limit with 5d2.
At lest with is version of ML Raw.

Been a few big improvements since then, small hacks and the odd speed improvements, to see its full potential you will need a 1000x CF card. some dont notice but i have, iv gone from 65mb wtite to 72mb, big notice for me :)

a.d.

@Kharak
The app is based on raw2dng from scrax and it's limited. I want to do more like RAWMagic, so I need to start from Ground Zero. I notice you do a lot of crop mode recording, you could try this version: https://bitbucket.org/a_d_/laboratory/downloads

@bnvm
Interface: Feature +
You should keep in mind: It could produce random pink frame on DIGIC IV based Camera! Maybe your camera is not suffer from that!

@Pijer
If you go the Adobe ACR way, I recommend to use 5D2_WIN_raw2dng.zip, because raw2cdng adds fixed Camera Model, Canon EOS PHR. However raw2cdng is fast and it works well with DaVinci Resolve.

bnvm

@a.d thanks I was not aware of the pink frame issue, I think I will stay away from using it for now.

reddeercity

Quote from: Doyle4 on September 25, 2013, 07:42:15 PM
Been a few big improvements since then, small hacks and the odd speed improvements, to see its full potential you will need a 1000x CF card. some dont notice but i have, iv gone from 65mb wtite to 72mb, big notice for me :)
No not really, i have been using 2 Lexar 1000x Cards since July,
At the Max frames with small hacks on etc., there is no one that has reported
anything better then 1856x1004 23.976p for continuous recording up to 42GB = 14,250 frames!
As far as i have read there no one get including me that can get more then 42GB at 1856x1004  frame size.
i record at 75.0MB/s in non-crop mode & at 2k crop mode i record at 76.6MB/s
The Hardware has reach its Limits.
The improvements where really for the Slower cards  :)

SpcCb

Quote from: reddeercity on September 25, 2013, 09:49:40 PM
No not really, i have been using 2 Lexar 1000x Cards since July,
At the Max frames with small hacks on etc., there is no one that has reported
anything better then 1856x1004 23.976p for continuous recording up to 42GB = 14,250 frames!
As far as i have read there no one get including me that can get more then 42GB at 1856x1004  frame size.
i record at 75.0MB/s in non-crop mode & at 2k crop mode i record at 76.6MB/s
The Hardware has reach its Limits.
The improvements where really for the Slower cards  :)
So ~75MB/s is the max, hardware limited.
Do you think a 80 or 90MB/s card is good enough or we need a 1000x to reach 75MB/s?
I read many reports/tests here about cards & hardware speed but for 5D2 is hard to be synthetic in results..

PressureFM

I have hit nearly 80MB/s in crop mode with a 32GB KomputerBay card, so doubt we've seen the last drops of performance squeezed out of Magic Lantern yet.

xNiNELiVES

Yeah actually. In rare occasions I somehow am able to get 80mb/s. I think I even did this in non-crop mode.

SpcCb

I saw somewhere 'theoretically' hardware card reader of the 5D2 is up to 90MB/s, but maybe it could be for read operations (?) and for write it's a bit less.
So with 75~80MB/s we are close to the maximum.

Kharak

Quote from: a.d. on September 25, 2013, 08:55:43 PM
@Kharak
The app is based on raw2dng from scrax and it's limited. I want to do more like RAWMagic, so I need to start from Ground Zero. I notice you do a lot of crop mode recording, you could try this version: https://bitbucket.org/a_d_/laboratory/downloads

@ a.d. Thanks man, I'll give it a try.

@ SpcCb. Have faith my friend, believe in the magic (lantern) that is being performed on our beloved 5D's. I suggest you go for as fast a card as possible. Its not just the max speed in which the camera will be able to record in, but speaking from my experience. I had a 60 MB/s card and then upgraded to a 128gb 150 MB/s card, Recording speed hits max ofcourse, but also the transfer rate is phenomenal! Moving footage at 100-140 MB/s (it varies) is fast! and saves you a lot of time if your on set or out in the field and need to empty your card during takes. It all depends on what you gonna use it for.

On another note, having a 42 gb limit is not something I see as a problem. Most I've recorded was 26 gb, once when I was filming a trawler breaking through waves and was waiting for that one big splash. But I felt how hot my card and camera got around the CF slot. So stopped in between and did 10 gig takes at a time. But other than that, I really don't see me ever gonna film 128 gb in one take, professionally. The 5D RAW II is not an interview camera ;)