5D2 RAW video Builds 14-Bit

Started by a.d., May 20, 2013, 05:27:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

loconetter

Sorry for the Newbie post, been through and through, but maybe have missed this.

1.  Are new builds for the 5d2 no longer being posted here?  29 Jun seems to be the last.
2. If so, should we be using the regular Nightly builds (for raw rec on 5d2)?

Having a great time with ML and kudos to those who have been doing the work and supporting these forums.

Nelson

ted ramasola

Quote from: loconetter on July 11, 2013, 05:39:58 PM
Sorry for the Newbie post, been through and through, but maybe have missed this.

1.  Are new builds for the 5d2 no longer being posted here?  29 Jun seems to be the last.

Having a great time with ML and kudos to those who have been doing the work and supporting these forums.

Nelson

1. That would depend on a.d. if he will still include his own personal flavors to the nightly builds, I personally still use his jun 29 compile due to the inclusion of black border frame and less obtrusive buffer display when recording.

2. The nightly builds contain the "official" rep that is recommended for use by a1ex, it also contains the raw-rec modules now, so you can use it now.

I've tested it and its ok, though as I've mentioned I still use a.d. jun 29 build due to my personal preference for a less obtrusive display.
I do hope a less obtrusive display will be implemented in the official repo, but I think since we are still in testing phase some displays are still necessary for debugging/troubleshooting purposes.
5DmkII  / 7D
www.ramasolaproductions.com
Texas

silvertonesx24

Doyle4

Quote from: loconetter on July 11, 2013, 05:39:58 PM

Nelson

Theres been an update 25mins ago, were now onto July 11th Build :) gunna check this one out now.

Doyle4

I like the Hold in the Joystick to get to ML, never noticed this unless it's not new?

loconetter

Thanks, am trying the new AD build now.

Cheers!

Nelson

ted ramasola

5DmkII  / 7D
www.ramasolaproductions.com
Texas

xNiNELiVES

It seems to have given me 60 more frames. From 179 to 240 or so. Maybe it's because I just enabled the larger buffer hack by switching picture quality to jpeg.

andyshon

@a.d. Cheers for the switch to turn the buffer display off. I couldn't stop watching it. Kept cocking me shots up.

dariSSight

Quote from: ted ramasola on July 11, 2013, 10:18:16 PM
thank you for the link!

What does Raw Settings refresh in zoom mode do different then before?
The Refactoring  DxO dynamic range sounds like an option other then using HDR Video, am I correct?

Canon 5D Mark II

johnha

Here's something I shot for a client on Monday. After that experience, I realize the post-production to use raw for something short like this is about an additional day.

This was mostly shot at ISO1600 and 3200. The dog in sun was shot at ISO100. June 29th build.

a.d.

@nightly builds
If you guy focus on RAW video, it's not bad to understand the changelog. The Code of the RAW don't change since the last 2 weeks until yesterday.

@andyshon
you are welcome.

@dariSSight
... for example refresh from 5x to 10x
Refractoring ... the function is the same, but for the future implementation ... ISO in RAW.

@johnha
I like it.

estondiaz

What is the realistic projection of resolution for the mark ii and iii? Will 3.5k/4k be possible? When? I know I'm asking a lot. But, it will affect a very present purchase on production decision. Great work Guys! Images and coding are beautiful!

F.T.I. ARMY

I must have missed something. The newest RAw2Dng is no longer giving me a Apple prores 4444. Any one know why?

F.T.I. ARMY

I take that back. It will not Give me a prores at 1880x 752 694 frames. any answers? thanks?

xNiNELiVES

Yeah actually the newest version gives me 14 more frames from 179 to 193.

Using a shitty lexar 300x.

reddeercity

Hello All  :)
Just finish test the July 11 built
And i'm puzzled  ??? i have slow write speed write this
built then the june 29 built !

July-11 Built
1856x1003 23.976p 14,306 Frames @ 75.0MB/s  :)
1856x1003 24 p - 6989,7511, 11,784 frames @ 74.9MB/s :(

June-29 Built
1856x1003 23.976p 14,228 @ 75MB/s
1856x1003 24 p       14,160 @ 74.9 MB/s
All tests on Lexar 1000x 64 Card

So i will go back to the June 29 Built
it look like it has better stable speeds @ 1856x1003 at least for 24p
:)

Update: July-11Built -It looks like the problem is with the 64GB Card.
i just tried 1856x1003 in  24p & 23.976p on Lexar 1000x 32GB card
i Get a full card record -9800 frames @ 74.8MB/s = 32GB
i wounder if theirs  a problem writing to larger capacity Cards
at bigger frame sizes ?
at the 42 GB mark i always have problems.

xNiNELiVES

Doyle4

Quote from: F.T.I. ARMY on July 13, 2013, 02:11:52 AM
I take that back. It will not Give me a prores at 1880x 752 694 frames. any answers? thanks?

If you are using RAW2DNG on mac, open up the program, then you need to DRAG RAW2DNG from Applications to RAW2DNG drop it in and it will ask you if you would like ProRes output. Hope this helps.

Doyle4

Quote from: estondiaz on July 13, 2013, 02:00:11 AM
What is the realistic projection of resolution for the mark ii and iii? Will 3.5k/4k be possible? When? I know I'm asking a lot. But, it will affect a very present purchase on production decision. Great work Guys! Images and coding are beautiful!

Please do not ask this...

Its been covered MANY of times..... simple answer no, you are lucky that someone has replied to this.

When 4K is possible... and i say When, Magic Lantern will also allow you to connect a nikon lens without an adapter...cool huh? :P

As you are new... go here... http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=6518.0

estondiaz

Cool. Read that whole other forum. Helps understanding a bit from the coding side.

Ethan_Reitz

https://vimeo.com/70244910

shot with the 29th June build in 1728X972 with a Lexar 1000X 32gb Card and a Sandisk Extreme 600X 16gb Card. I could shoot continuous on the Lexar and got 310 - 340 frames on the Sandisk - long enough for a quick shot and I actually liked the limitation because it forces you to think fast.

Sound is H4N/sennheisser me66 + G3 and lav.

I really like the interface of Adobe Camera Raw in After Effects and the import is lighting fast. I resized to 1920X1080 and exported to Cineform .avis to edit in Premiere. Once the AE Comps were set up - 1 for each shot - it was easy to re-import the DNG's if I wanted to make an adjustment - then just export again.

As for storage, I can see it being an issue on larger projects - especially if there is the requirement of storing the raw files.

Question: should you save the DNGs and delete the .RAW files which come directly off the card? I don't see any point holding on to them once converted.

I tried converting directly to Cineform with Rawanizer and found the files just no fun to work with - ie. not like the easy intuitive ACR interface. I also felt like the Cineform files lost a whole lot of image depth in comparison to the DNG's - is that just my inability to use other AE tools for image editing?

Anyway, once the sharpness, highlights, shadows, contrast etc. are set I don't see any reason not to down-convert most footage to Cineform to edit and then to store as most of the major changes which would be effected by bit depth have already been done. Of course on a commercial project it would be important to save your raw data for a while.

Anyway, I don't see myself shooting much in the future which isn't raw.

Now I want a mark iii BUT I have to say another huge thank you to the ML crew for making my 5d mark ii into a much, much more powerful tool.

Ethan_Reitz

double post. Sorry.

I did just receive a Komputerbay 64gb card today. The benchmark test looks good.

F.T.I. ARMY

I get his when im trying to get a Prores out of the raw2dng

Done. To convert to jpg, you can try: ufraw-batch --out-type=jpg *.dng To get a mjpeg video: ffmpeg -i %6d.jpg -vcodec mjpeg -qscale 1 video.avi

why wont it give me a prores file? it will on the 1280x720 but not on the 1880x752?

xNiNELiVES

Quote from: Ethan_Reitz on July 13, 2013, 11:12:32 PM
https://vimeo.com/70244910

shot with the 29th June build in 1728X972 with a Lexar 1000X 32gb Card and a Sandisk Extreme 600X 16gb Card. I could shoot continuous on the Lexar and got 310 - 340 frames on the Sandisk - long enough for a quick shot and I actually liked the limitation because it forces you to think fast.

Sound is H4N/sennheisser me66 + G3 and lav.

I really like the interface of Adobe Camera Raw in After Effects and the import is lighting fast. I resized to 1920X1080 and exported to Cineform .avis to edit in Premiere. Once the AE Comps were set up - 1 for each shot - it was easy to re-import the DNG's if I wanted to make an adjustment - then just export again.

As for storage, I can see it being an issue on larger projects - especially if there is the requirement of storing the raw files.

Question: should you save the DNGs and delete the .RAW files which come directly off the card? I don't see any point holding on to them once converted.

I tried converting directly to Cineform with Rawanizer and found the files just no fun to work with - ie. not like the easy intuitive ACR interface. I also felt like the Cineform files lost a whole lot of image depth in comparison to the DNG's - is that just my inability to use other AE tools for image editing?

Anyway, once the sharpness, highlights, shadows, contrast etc. are set I don't see any reason not to down-convert most footage to Cineform to edit and then to store as most of the major changes which would be effected by bit depth have already been done. Of course on a commercial project it would be important to save your raw data for a while.

Anyway, I don't see myself shooting much in the future which isn't raw.

Now I want a mark iii BUT I have to say another huge thank you to the ML crew for making my 5d mark ii into a much, much more powerful tool.

You're getting bad frames with that lexar. You should be continuous @ 1880x800+