5D2 RAW video Builds 14-Bit

Started by a.d., May 20, 2013, 05:27:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

a1ex

Mine is a vanilla build from the official repository (no third party code changes), with some debug info about black level.

I've tried to reproduce the pink issue with the latest build from a.d. and effectively got scared. Camera locked up, there were all sorts of overlays fighting and flickering, and there was a huge amount of options in the menu, to the point of being unusable.

I'm trying to stay away from infinite customizability and stick with something that works.

Doyle4

Ouch, Luckily i haven't had any lock up since 14th build, the build seems to be getting stronger, i would'nt let pink frames put anyone off if anyone else is reading this, to my understanding it seems a rare thing.

Ill stay away from your build for now then, as it sounds abit more complex than the one everyone can download,

be nice once everything is solved/tweaked etc and the big day comes for the major release, but for now im happy playing with new builds and finding things out for you guys...

If you were to recommend a build date A1ex which would it be? bit of a stupid question but i think people who are new here may feel that bit more safe about which Build to use, a lot has gone on since the finding of RAW and like you say, its constantly getting updated, or is it the question of download one and see if it work's?

Cheers,
Doyle

a1ex

Did you actually read my post?

I trust my own code, and I've got scared when I've tried the one from a.d. Guess which one I recommend?

Doyle4

<--- Dyslexia guy here ill be honest and say i didn't read it clearly, re-read and understand what you put now. Sorry about that. i should proof read my own post too from now also, no wonder im confusing people  :-\

Doyle4

Can i add the ETTR Module to your build A1ex?

UPDATE: yes you can, wasn't 100% sure if you could simply drop it into the modules folder.

andrus

Hey Guys, my first message on this forum, big thanks from the deep of my heart to ML, devs and community for making it real!!!
I'd like to partecipate with my modest feedback :)

I was playing around with 8262dacd390d.zip (2013-06-24 build) when I had a camera crash, here is the log:

ASSERT: 0
at Memory\Memory.c:561, task RscMgr
lv:0 mode:3

Magic Lantern version : v2.3.NEXT.2013Jun24.5D2212
Mercurial changeset   : 8262dacd390d+ (unified) tip
Built on 2013-06-24 13:19:11 by ad@MagicLantern.
Free Memory  : 227K + 3863K

I switched it off and then on again and it was ok.

Also the resolution indicator was flickering as a1ex said, it was fighting with the audio indicator on the top left corner of the monitor.

I'm having a problem with raw2dng.exe... I'm still using a pc with Windows XP (forgive me :D) and when I drag and drop a raw file on raw2dng.exe the dng files are created in the following folder: C:\Documents and Settings\MyUserName\ instead of the same folder where raw and .exe files are located.

Thanks again to all, great job!
5D MkII | Sigma 50mm f1.4 | Komputerbay 32Gb 1000x | A spare battery :D

NewHourFilm

Just a simple upscaling test with the Photoshop Image Processor. DNG (1880x854) to TIFF (3072x1307). No Post-Sharpening etc.
It is not exactly RED-3K, but you can work with it.

Thanks to Reddeercity for providing the infos on the workflow  :)

1880x854 32GB Transcend 1000x
06/13/2013 Build

dariSSight#1

Quote from: NewHourFilm on June 25, 2013, 04:17:52 PM

Just a simple upscaling test with the Photoshop Image Processor. DNG (1880x854) to TIFF (3072x1307). No Post-Sharpening etc.
It is not exactly RED-3K, but you can work with it.

Thanks to Reddeercity for providing the infos on the workflow  :)

1880x854 32GB Transcend 1000x
06/13/2013 Build

NewHourFilm I've been looking at your video, how does the Tiff files hold up when you blow them up to test for pixel depth? Can you go into a little more about the RED-3K comparison, I'm always geeked to know opinions on how far my 5D Mark II can take me?

dariSSight#1

Quote from: a1ex on June 25, 2013, 12:33:59 PM
I can't reproduce the pink frame issue at all.

Straight from my card: http://a1ex.magiclantern.fm/bleeding-edge/5D2/5d2-fac94f686d23-pink-debug.zip

Write down the black levels (they appear in the top area on the screen, when starting and when stopping recording) and post them, along with the result (whether the recorded frames were pink or not).

I will test out the new .a.d new June 25 282abfa87fef build when I get home, but Alex where do you post you builds I have your pinkdebug build?

NewHourFilm

dariSSight#1 as far as i can tell, the Tiff file contains the full color information and original resolution. The DNG is transfered to Tiff with 16Bit color depth and so the full 14Bit should transfer in the process. No Banding etc. The PS Image Processor gives you the option to process the DNG to different sizes: 1880x854 (1,6MP) 2048x930 (1,9MP+) or 3072x1395 (4,3MP +) with 240 PPI the resulting 3K Tiff files really show much more detail in comparison to the original DNGs. I don't know if this resolution is just achieved through upscaling the 1880x854 or if the 3K data is backed in in the DNG files, but it really looks nice. It is a shame youtube just compresses everything to 2K in 8Bit 420.

When it comes to image quality and pure resolution and detail the Red cameras are the industy standard, but the images coming out of the 5D2 and 3 are nothing short of amazing. The Red cameras are designed to deliver the best possible image in the 2K+ range and there is a noticeable difference when you compare the upscaled 3K with an 3K R3d file, but it is not as dominant as one would think. I would say you can intercut footage and it would not be a major problem :)

dariSSight#1

Quote from: NewHourFilm on June 25, 2013, 08:46:08 PM
dariSSight#1 as far as i can tell, the Tiff file contains the full color information and original resolution. The DNG is transfered to Tiff with 16Bit color depth and so the full 14Bit should transfer in the process. No Banding etc. The PS Image Processor gives you the option to process the DNG to different sizes: 1880x854 (1,6MP) 2048x930 (1,9MP+) or 3072x1395 (4,3MP +) with 240 PPI the resulting 3K Tiff files really show much more detail in comparison to the original DNGs. I don't know if this resolution is just achieved through upscaling the 1880x854 or if the 3K data is backed in in the DNG files, but it really looks nice. It is a shame youtube just compresses everything to 2K in 8Bit 420.

When it comes to image quality and pure resolution and detail the Red cameras are the industy standard, but the images coming out of the 5D2 and 3 are nothing short of amazing. The Red cameras are designed to deliver the best possible image in the 2K+ range and there is a noticeable difference when you compare the upscaled 3K with an 3K R3d file, but it is not as dominant as one would think. I would say you can intercut footage and it would not be a major problem :)

WoW, For you to state the intercut possibility the 5D Mark II threat is real.

dariSSight#1

WoW, For you to state the intercut possibility the 5D Mark II threat is real.

reddeercity

Thanks guy for use my workflow  :) to upscale.
Tiff can carry any embedded profiles that you can embed , or use Camera raw.

The Biggest think you must do is maintain the dpi, (240) Very important ! this is
where the image makes it or brakes it, I have been Working with PS & AE  If you try to upscale in AE
it will look Bad, because AE dose not see the image as Photo image but as Frame image @ 72 dpi.

Plus i have play around with "Film Color Space" in Photoshop & After Effects.
i have been embedding the PanaLog  "Panavision Genesis Tungsten Log"
in the Tiff image , i think that would be great for 2K or 4K "B" roll :D

Panavision Genesis Tungsten Log (Embedded LUT)or ICC for Photoshop

YouTube is the only ones that stream True 2K & 4K in the original Quality setting tab.

sdesign

With the release of these newer memory cards, like the 1000x and the 1066x cards, will there be any sight of full hd in any of the nightlies, anytime in the near future? I for one, hope so, as, I've just ordered a 1066x car, today!

reddeercity

Quote from: sdesign on June 25, 2013, 11:04:21 PM
With the release of these newer memory cards, like the 1000x and the 1066x cards, will there be any sight of full hd in any of the nightlies, anytime in the near future? I for one, hope so, as, I've just ordered a 1066x car, today!

:) Can't be done 5d2 sensor will only do Max 1880 wide, and is limited integrally to about 70 MB/s
so with the new built the continuous recording that i get with lexar 1000x 32GB is 1856x928 24p @69.2 MB/s
we are fighting a battle against Hardware limitations  :-[

sdesign

perhaps then, mu question may be off topic, but then, how does a smaller sensor, like the 50d, get more latitude, as well as a higher bitrate?

dariSSight#1

Quote from: reddeercity on June 25, 2013, 10:36:15 PM
Thanks guy for use my workflow  :) to upscale.
Tiff can carry any embedded profiles that you can embed , or use Camera raw.

The Biggest think you must do is maintain the dpi, (240) Very important ! this is
where the image makes it or brakes it, I have been Working with PS & AE  If you try to upscale in AE
it will look Bad, because AE dose not see the image as Photo image but as Frame image @ 72 dpi.

Plus i have play around with "Film Color Space" in Photoshop & After Effects.
i have been embedding the PanaLog  "Panavision Genesis Tungsten Log"
in the Tiff image , i think that would be great for 2K or 4K "B" roll :D

Panavision Genesis Tungsten Log (Embedded LUT)or ICC for Photoshop

YouTube is the only ones that stream True 2K & 4K in the original Quality setting tab.

Reddeercity thanks for getting the conversation started with the upscale possibility of Magic Lantern gift of RAW video, but to think of the 5D Mark II ML RAW firmware ability as only use for B-Roll kind of sucks. So let's begin with why not use Magic Lantern's gift of RAW as main film production stock? Why not use the the Rawness DNG to upscale at least to 2K, the reports of the Data from the DNG holds up? Why not use the Canon 5D Mark II for motion picture projects, I ask these questions keeping in mind that the fast race car scene in the beginning of Ironman 2 was shot with the Canon 5D Mark II with no fear of Rolling Shutters, the full 6th season finale of House was shot Exclusively with the 5D Mark II (it was a visually broad canvas presentation), the feature film ACT OF VALOR was shot exclusively with the 5D Mark II for 12 million dollars then grossing 81 million dollars and many more worthy Canon 5D Mark II professional projects. All those example of professional film work was accomplish with the Canon limitation firmware, now even if the limitation of Magic Lantern Firmware in RAW giving the Mark III 1920x1080 continuous RAW and the Mark II only shooting 1880x850 continuous RAW but Magic Lantern firmware setting option is very professional. Final question, Isn't the Magic Lantern 5D Mark II firmware settings and RAW capabilities industry standard?

reddeercity

Quote from: dariSSight#1 on June 26, 2013, 12:45:23 AM
Reddeercity thanks for getting the conversation started with the upscale possibility of Magic Lantern gift of RAW video, but to think of the 5D Mark II ML RAW firmware ability as only use for B-Roll kind of sucks. So let's begin with why not use Magic Lantern's gift of RAW as main film production stock? Why not use the the Rawness DNG to upscale at least to 2K, the reports of the Data from the DNG holds up? Why not use the Canon 5D Mark II for motion picture projects, I ask these questions keeping in mind that the fast race car scene in the beginning of Ironman 2 was shot with the Canon 5D Mark II with no fear of Rolling Shutters, the full 6th season finale of House was shot Exclusively with the 5D Mark II (it was a visually broad canvas presentation), the feature film ACT OF VALOR was shot exclusively with the 5D Mark II for 12 million dollars then grossing 81 million dollars and many more worthy Canon 5D Mark II professional projects. All those example of professional film work was accomplish with the Canon limitation firmware, now even if the limitation of Magic Lantern Firmware in RAW giving the Mark III 1920x1080 continuous RAW and the Mark II only shooting 1880x850 continuous RAW but Magic Lantern firmware setting option is very professional. Final question, Isn't the Magic Lantern 5D Mark II firmware settings and RAW capabilities industry standard?

:D
Don't get me wrong, I think the 5D Mark ii  Is As good if not Better in some cases then Red, Sony etc..
At 2K you would not tell the difference.  As Long as you Film in a way to show off the 5D2 Strong points,
& limit  fast pans, & no complexes pattern from a distance etc...

But the Fact remains that In larger productions 5D mark ii will not get any Chances to prove it self @ 14bits
like all the Big Name players,
Why would you if you were a Production company, Have a choice between
a 1DC @ 4K compressed with a tried and true Workflow & a 5D Mark ii Magic Lantern  Raw Record with a
Not so easily work flow in development , (i know the work flow will get better)
But Big productions will use  the 5D mark 2 or 3 as "B" roll all day long ;)

What Magic Lantern has done is put the power of RAW into the Hands of Small Video Production Company
So we can compete with the larger Production Company s  without Breaking the Bank!

edit:
I will Kept using the 5d mark 2 in all projects, I was very very interested in buy a new Body like a 1DC,
but that can wait for now. But i will be on the lookout for any used 5d2 or 5d3 .

ted ramasola

Quote from: a1ex on June 25, 2013, 12:33:59 PM
I can't reproduce the pink frame issue at all.

Straight from my card: http://a1ex.magiclantern.fm/bleeding-edge/5D2/5d2-fac94f686d23-pink-debug.zip

Write down the black levels (they appear in the top area on the screen, when starting and when stopping recording) and post them, along with the result (whether the recorded frames were pink or not).

@a1ex

Heres the test I did on the pink-debug.

I did the test 2x consecutively for each resolution.
In all tests the BL is the same value at beginning and end of clip recording.

In 1X mode, BL=Black Level

Resolution     --  test 1 BL/test 2 BL
1872 x 1054  --  1793  /  1793
1872 x 1012  --  1793  /  1793
1872 x 936    --  1793  /  1793
1856 x 1044  --  1793  /  1793
1856 x 928    --  1793  /  1793
1728 x 928    --  1793  /  1793

In 3X crop mode (5x magnify)

Resolution     --  test 1 BL/test 2 BL
2144 x 1078  --  1023  /  1043
2144 x 972    --  1793  / 1076
1920 x 1076  --  1793  /  1792
1856 x 1044  --  1023  /  1023
1728 x 972    --  1023  /  1793
5DmkII  / 7D
www.ramasolaproductions.com
Texas

ted ramasola

Quote from: a.d. on June 25, 2013, 10:37:15 AM
@ all with random pink frames in crop mode
https://bitbucket.org/a_d_/laboratory/wiki/Home

@ted and duncanidaho25
Beautiful shots of the Moon

@motionpikczer
I like it

@a.d.

Thanks for the Fix for pink frames.

Tested it in various resolutions repeatedly, NO MORE PINK FRAMES IN CROP MODE.

Fortunately I do not suffer the bad pixel problem shown in this link.
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=6426.0

5DmkII  / 7D
www.ramasolaproductions.com
Texas

a.d.

I think It seems to be some race condition between EDMAC and Canon stuff, also in Grayscale mode, and not every camera are affected.
Vanilla for testing:
Update: Deleted!

a1ex

It's from switching from correct preview (with dots) to gray preview (without dots). These two have different black levels.

Try this in raw_video_rec_task:

/* wait for two frames to be sure everything is refreshed */
    frame_countdown = 2;

instead of 1.

Doyle4

Was there any changes to hardware/software on the 2nd edition of the 5D mkii?
I noticed mine is slightly different from my friends older version of the Mkii, he has the one with less water protection, i remember reading about the the two difference's somewhere before i bought mine and im sure the sensor may of been slightly tweaked also? could this be why some are suffering and some are not?

a1ex

No, the pixels I'm talking about come from the Canon's focusing algorithm. They are the result of an edge detection filter.

In many cases they are not noticeable, but when you see them, they are impossible to remove because their location is not constant. They follow high-contrast areas.

Try shooting a barcode or a resolution chart or something similar to see for yourself.

Note: these pixels appear only in 5x color preview.

Doyle4

Using your build A1ex im not getting the problem, iv just noticed also my Focus settings for Video are setup to Quick Mode and not Live Mode, shouldn't make a difference should it? I know Live Mode has contrast detection but id of thought all three modes would due to the edge detection filter.

I also have Auto Lighting Optimization off, Highlight Tone Priority off and High ISO Noise Reduction off as i set my quality to Jpeg for the extra memory.

Good luck guys, im sure you will solve it sooner or later, we all thought RAW video wasnt possible and look where we are  :)