6D - Install guide and raw shooting.

Started by noisyboy, May 20, 2013, 04:07:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

asombrir

I do have premiere/after effects. I actually found this one article where they took all the images into photoshop and correct what you want then export as tiff, so I tried that first just because it seemed easy enough. I am going to try a more elaborate way next with premiere/ae.

noisyboy

asombrir

Thanks again! I will start this method.

random

works fine for me:

1) RAWanizer to export the DNG's
2) Import to AFX (16bit project) to correct the DNG in Adobe Camera Raw
3) Export to DPX Sequence 16bit ("C1neon")
4) Import into Premiere
5) Export to DNxHD 185/10bit
6) Transcode to h264 by MPEG Streamclip
EOS 6D  -  EOS 650D  -  EF 24-105mm/4 IS L  -  Sigma 50mm/1,4 EX  -  Kenko 1,4x MC4 DGX

CharlieA56

Maybe this has been answered a lot of times, but I can't find any answer in relation to "how to uninstall the Magic Lantern on the 6D".
I need to, because when recording normal (H264) video with the ML working, my camera crashes if the recording is longer than 15 seconds (more or less).
Thanx !
Canon 6D, Canon 60D, Canon T2i & Canon T1i

shdster

You dont need to uninstall ML. Just change bitrate in ML or put into camera card without ML (formated and no bootable). It should help :)

asombrir

My 6D is not turning on. I tried using a 64g card and had a crash. Now I get nothing. Can anyone help? First experience with this.

1%

If you get no power the best thing to do is pull the card out, pull the battery out... then put it back and try to power on. Also try switching modes when you do that.

asombrir

Ok, thank you! That worked. You saved the day for me! I tried a couple different cards and nothing, but my 16g card and new battery did the trick. That was...scary.

asombrir

I am not sure where I might have messed up. Maybe it was trying to get ML on the 64g card. My question now is this, what are the correct steps in getting ML on another card? I am still a new ML user and I did the 6D install guide but I am wondering if anyone would care to lay out the steps for making a backup card ready to shoot with ML now that I have it running on my 6D. I started from step 8.5 on noisyboy's helpful guide to get a second card going to run ML. Is that about right? Or did I miss something that made the 6D crash.

1%

Boot flag the 64 gb card and throw the files on, that's all there is to it. Make sure you get the rest of the ML files not just whats in the release.. ie fonts, etc.

asombrir

I think I must have deleted an important folder that first go.

asombrir

I have it working, thanks again. I really appreciate all the help I have gotten on here.

DerekDock

Got my new 6D in a little over an hour ago and am already up and running with ML and RAW! Thanks for the step by step Noisy and for all the killer work 1%! At first I wasn't getting long record times but after a card reformat in camera now I'm killing it! Just got 400 frames at 1792 x 762 and continuous recording at 720p which wasn't possible on my 60D.  8)
www.vimeo.com/leftcoastdigital
www.twitter.com/derekdock

8beeeaaat

Quote from: DerekDock on July 03, 2013, 07:33:12 PM
Just got 400 frames at 1792 x 762 and continuous recording at 720p which wasn't possible on my 60D.  8)

Great ! What SD did you use??

canonner

Hi everybody,
I've bought a 6D in february an i have few questions.
1/ my 6d firmware is 1.1.3. Do i have to downgrade it to 1.1.2 to install ML?
2/ my region is PAL, i shoot only on tripod and i have a lot of stuttering on pan and tilt even when i move it very slowly
it happens also when i'm static with something/somebody is moving in the frame.It happens only with all 25p, not 30p settings.
i've tried different shutter speed 1/30, 1/50 and upper. It's the same problem. I can't go lower than 1/30 even in 25p.
my set up is a scandisk extreme pro 95mb 32g and tamron 28-75mm 2.8. I've worked with a 5dmk2 with ML last year without much problem.
Did i do something wrong? a problem with my 6d?
Thanks a lot for helping me!

DerekDock

Quote from: 8beeeaaat on July 04, 2013, 09:45:46 AM
Great ! What SD did you use??

Sandisk pro 95mbs. I only have one 32gb pro and then a ton of the 30mbs ones which give me similar record times to the 60D. Need to pick up another. Should be shooting for the holiday today so ill have a new test video of the 6D tomorrow.
www.vimeo.com/leftcoastdigital
www.twitter.com/derekdock

noisyboy

Quote from: canonner on July 04, 2013, 02:54:58 PM
Hi everybody,
I've bought a 6D in february an i have few questions.
1/ my 6d firmware is 1.1.3. Do i have to downgrade it to 1.1.2 to install ML?
2/ my region is PAL, i shoot only on tripod and i have a lot of stuttering on pan and tilt even when i move it very slowly
it happens also when i'm static with something/somebody is moving in the frame.It happens only with all 25p, not 30p settings.
i've tried different shutter speed 1/30, 1/50 and upper. It's the same problem. I can't go lower than 1/30 even in 25p.
my set up is a scandisk extreme pro 95mb 32g and tamron 28-75mm 2.8. I've worked with a 5dmk2 with ML last year without much problem.
Did i do something wrong? a problem with my 6d?
Thanks a lot for helping me!

Hey man.

1/ Yep - for now at least, this is the procedure. All covered in the guide in page one of this thread anyway :)

2/ Hmmm... That's an odd one. If you upload a clip of footage I'm sure we can work it out. Shutter speed being 1/50 is correct so not that.

noisyboy

Quote from: CharlieA56 on June 30, 2013, 09:02:10 AM
Maybe this has been answered a lot of times, but I can't find any answer in relation to "how to uninstall the Magic Lantern on the 6D".
I need to, because when recording normal (H264) video with the ML working, my camera crashes if the recording is longer than 15 seconds (more or less).
Thanx !

How fast is your SD Card? Could be a contributing factor. Did you have trouble before installing ML? Might be worth reverting ML settings back to default from inside the ML menu just to make sure you aren't accidentally smashing out some mad high bit-rates.

Try booting the camera while holding the SET button to bypass ML on boot (will make the camera boot up one time without ML).

As suggested - you can always just format your card from a computer and it wont run ML.

If you really need to clear ML completely then follow these steps (assuming you are on firmware 1.1.3):

1: Format a card (in your computer).

2: Copy the 1.1.2 Firmware from the zip in the guide on page one to the SD Card.

3: Pop the SD Card back in the camera and run firmware "updater" 1.1.2 to downgrade the firmware.

4: Power off camera and put SD Card back in computer.

5: Delete Firmware 1.1.2 from the Card.

6: Run EOScard from the zip in step one of the guide on page 1 of this thread.

7: Delete (don't format) the files on the card.

8: Copy the contents of the folder "Files to run Magic Lantern on 6D Firmware 1.1.2" from the zip in step one of the guide, onto the SD Card.

9: Switch the camera to "M" (MANUAL) shooting mode, put the SD Card back in the camera and power it on.

10: Run the firmware updater. What this will now do is run the Developer FIR that you originally used to set the bootflag to begin with and eventually take you to a screen which will prompt you to switch shooting mode to remove the bootflag. So basically, when you see this, turn the dial to "Av" mode. This will then do it's thing and say something like "Bootflag removed" and also ask you to power down the camera so go ahead and do that.

11: Now you can pop the SD Card back in your computer and format it and clear all the ML files off and also you might want to clear all custom settings within the Canon menu to be sure that it's all nice and squeaky clean again. Oh and feel free to re-update your firmware if you want.

If you want ML back then simply follow the guide again on page one of this thread.

Any problems let me know. Cheers  8)

Emanuel

SD-Card (what NOT to buy)
Transcend 32 GB High Speed Class 10 UHS Flash Memory Card (32g)- after using the latest modules and autoexec (RecVol.zip) the top frame count that i get on it recording what 1% was able to record without stopping (1280x720) is about 256 frames (10s) @t 31/mbs.

Maybe i'm doing something wrong (i hope not) - should i bite the bullet and grab a 95?  :-\

Emanuel

Quote from: asombrir on June 25, 2013, 11:06:09 PM
I do have premiere/after effects. I actually found this one article where they took all the images into photoshop and correct what you want then export as tiff, so I tried that first just because it seemed easy enough. I am going to try a more elaborate way next with premiere/ae.

AE-Premiere is the better way to go - you can take advantage of your CUDA's and render time on DPX is much lower then it would be in PS - for a 5 minute video in AE @t 1600x600 saving DPX took about 2 hours and 30 min - at 16G of ram.  :)

Anisotropic

On this card there is 36-37mb/sec on raw video

noisyboy

Already bored 1% with the details but just got back from holiday and had tonnes of fun shooting with a 15mm lens and zoom mode for shooting raw! Get pretty close to shooting normally with a 50mm and has no noticeable distortion due to only using the center of the lens! Anyway - if nobody has tried yet you should have a play with zoom mode and be totally amazed at how well it takes sharpening and pulls out loads of detail without it looking artificial! Seriously! Never seen sharpening work so well and do so much without crapping all over my footage! Don't be put off by how crappy it looks in Live View either. It WILL look better on your NLE. I'll upload a vid when I get a couple hours!

Peace  8)

xNiNELiVES

Quote from: noisyboy on July 07, 2013, 06:09:26 PM
Already bored 1% with the details but just got back from holiday and had tonnes of fun shooting with a 15mm lens and zoom mode for shooting raw! Get pretty close to shooting normally with a 50mm and has no noticeable distortion due to only using the center of the lens! Anyway - if nobody has tried yet you should have a play with zoom mode and be totally amazed at how well it takes sharpening and pulls out loads of detail without it looking artificial! Seriously! Never seen sharpening work so well and do so much without crapping all over my footage! Don't be put off by how crappy it looks in Live View either. It WILL look better on your NLE. I'll upload a vid when I get a couple hours!

Peace  8)

I know its awesome! The thing is though I don't know how to center the liveview properly. I wish ML had a built in center framing tool.