6D - Install guide and raw shooting.

Started by noisyboy, May 20, 2013, 04:07:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ian

Hi Noisyboy,

I tried the install and got the green success message at stage 7, but no ML on pressing the trash button after stage 15 :(

I did notice that formatting the card in pc in stage 8 wiped all the files off the card. Was it supposed to do that?

In stage 11 you wrote "once again extract EOScard.exe" but that`s the first time I did that as it appears to be the first time it`s mentioned in the proceedure.

The second two paragraphs are only mentioned to give you possible pointers about where I might have gone wrong.

I`m using a San Disk Extreme Pro 16gb 45mb/sec.

Many thanks

xNiNELiVES

Quote from: Ian on June 14, 2013, 03:02:27 PM
Hi Noisyboy,

I tried the install and got the green success message at stage 7, but no ML on pressing the trash button after stage 15 :(

I did notice that formatting the card in pc in stage 8 wiped all the files off the card. Was it supposed to do that?

In stage 11 you wrote "once again extract EOScard.exe" but that`s the first time I did that as it appears to be the first time it`s mentioned in the proceedure.

The second two paragraphs are only mentioned to give you possible pointers about where I might have gone wrong.

I`m using a San Disk Extreme Pro 16gb 45mb/sec.

Many thanks

I think you didn't make your SD card bootable on the computer. Do this by running EOScard.exe

Also formatting cards always delete the existing files on the storage device.

1%, where is the audio sync beep setting located?

nativeridge

You certain you didn't format at this step?

12: Navigate to your SD Card and delete (DON'T FORMAT) all the files you can see there.
GEAR: CANON 6D / BG-E13/ CANON 40D / 70-200 f4L IS / 17-40 f4L / Tokina 12-24 f4 / Sigma 105 f2.8 / 50mm f1.8 / 85mm f1.8 / METZ 58 AF-1 / EXT 1.4II / Manfrotto 055XPROB - 808RC4  [_O_]

random

This way worked fine for me, did you do it any differently?

1.)  Format SD-card
2.)  Put Canon Firmware 1.1.2 on card and install on camera in "M"-mode and with full battery
3.)  Format SD-card

4.)  Copy all files in folder "to run on 1.1.2" on the card
5.)  run EOScard.exe, activate "EOS_develop" and "bootdisk" and click "safe"
6.)  Install MagicLantern on camera in "M"-mode and with full battery
7.)  Format SD-card

8.)  Put Canon Firmware 1.1.3 on card and install on camera in "M"-mode and with full battery
9.)  Put all files in folder "to run on 1.1.3" on the card
10.) run EOScard.exe, activate "EOS_develope" and "bootdisk" and click "safe"
11.) Delete (don't format!) all files on your sd-card

12.) Again, put all files in folder "to run on 1.1.3" on the card

(I don't really know the avantage of step 11, but I took it from noisyboys tutorial)
EOS 6D  -  EOS 650D  -  EF 24-105mm/4 IS L  -  Sigma 50mm/1,4 EX  -  Kenko 1,4x MC4 DGX

Ian

I got it working to start with (following Random`s list) but then ML disappeared and I cannot call it up using the trash button. Instead I get a message above the Menus: "Scripts dir missing".

Just as an aside, your no 5 action ("run EOScard.exe, activate "EOS_develop" and "bootdisk" and click "safe") is not in noisyboy`s list on page one.
Your list`s step 9 is also not in Noisyboy`s list. "Files in folder "to run on 1.1.3"" are only put once to the card in his list.

Ian

Anyway I discovered that by reformatting the card (and keeping rather than removing ML) I can call up ML again from the trash button. But the above error message is still there at the top and sooner or later ML freezes and I have to power down and take the battery out. I got a bit scared of damaging the original Canon firmware and reformatted, this time removing ML permanently. I`ll try another card.  :(

Ian

So I put a San Disk Extreme 8gb 30mb/s card in*. No reaction. No menu. Nothing. Removed battery and replaced. Nothing. My 32gb card works but only after I`ve removed the battery. I didn`t need to do that before today.

* This card has ML from the Canon 600D on it. I don`t know if that is what stops the 6D reacting.

Jagannatha

If i select 1280-60-ALL-I in Canon menu and try to record a video it stops after a second and I have to remove the battery to recover the camera. Also tried to set FPS override to 60. I can do it by the result is the same. Am I doing something wrong?

nativeridge

Quote from: Ian on June 15, 2013, 11:28:04 AM
* This card has ML from the Canon 600D on it. I don`t know if that is what stops the 6D reacting.
Think you are shooting yourself in the foot Ian  :o There is no mention of being able to work with other data on a card!!!!!
Joining IRC may be best way to work through this with someone to get a result for you

GEAR: CANON 6D / BG-E13/ CANON 40D / 70-200 f4L IS / 17-40 f4L / Tokina 12-24 f4 / Sigma 105 f2.8 / 50mm f1.8 / 85mm f1.8 / METZ 58 AF-1 / EXT 1.4II / Manfrotto 055XPROB - 808RC4  [_O_]

1%

Quote1%, where is the audio sync beep setting located?

Should be in raw rec, sound > separate wav -> sync beep.

Ian

QuoteThere is no mention of being able to work with other data on a card!!!!!
I didn't expect it to work with a previous version of ML for a different camera. It just alarmed me that the camera wouldn`t react at all to being turned on, with that card in, and at random other times with other cards. I`ve since discovered there`s a Camera Emergency forum here where there are similar stories of dead cameras or cameras that needed workarounds to boot up on turning on.

noisyboy

Quote from: Ian on June 15, 2013, 11:25:27 PM
I didn`t expect it to work with a previous version of ML for a different camera. It just alarmed me that the camera wouldn`t react at all to being turned on, with that card in, and at random other times with other cards. I`ve since discovered there`s a Camera Emergency forum here where there are similar stories of dead cameras or cameras that needed workarounds to boot up on turning on.

Sorry Ian - been busy dude, where are you now with getting ML working?

Ps. I think this guide  could do with a solid update and the files in the zip could do with updating also which I intend to do hopefully in the next day or two so just bare with me while the dust settles on a couple things and I'll try and make life easier for anyone that intends to join the party  8)

1%

If you put different ML on the card or leave the card bootable with no bin it will block start and you have to pull card + battery. It has been that way on all cameras for a while.. 1/2 canon (bootable no bin), 1/2 us (signature doesn't match)

Ian

Thanks guys.
I`ve put this on hold for a bit and will happily bear with you. I`m sure it wil be worth the slight wait.

noisyboy

Quote from: random on June 14, 2013, 11:16:07 PM
This way worked fine for me, did you do it any differently?

(I don't really know the avantage of step 11, but I took it from noisyboys tutorial)

Advantage of this is that if you were to format the card instead of simply deleting and replacing the files put on there by EOScard - you would have an SD card that you cannot boot ML from. Basically - formatting the card makes it un-bootable which we don't want :)

noisyboy

Quote from: Ian on June 15, 2013, 11:25:27 PM
I didn't expect it to work with a previous version of ML for a different camera. It just alarmed me that the camera wouldn`t react at all to being turned on, with that card in, and at random other times with other cards. I`ve since discovered there`s a Camera Emergency forum here where there are similar stories of dead cameras or cameras that needed workarounds to boot up on turning on.

Basically if you try and put a card in that has a different version of ML on (as in from another camera) it wont work as it's incompatible. Not booting is expected. It sounds like you might not have upgraded back to firmware 1.1.3 after setting the bootflag. What firmware is your camera on buddy?

noisyboy

Updated the zip in the guide with latest build as of this evening. Should be a pretty boss build - props 1% for kicking ass for fun. Was gonna try and tidy up the guide a bit more but a) it works and b) we are getting closer to being able to install ML without having to go through the pain of downgrading first which will need a big re-write anyway. Of course this will be sorted when Coutts gets time as of course (as always) this is all done in peoples spare time after all so please just hold tight those of you who are waiting for a more simple solution :)

Cheeeers!  8)

random

You're talking about the two [6D]-zips on bitbucket page?
What is bolt recording and is the name "dont load all modules" a joke? 
EOS 6D  -  EOS 650D  -  EF 24-105mm/4 IS L  -  Sigma 50mm/1,4 EX  -  Kenko 1,4x MC4 DGX

aphex

So there is no way to record 1080p with the 6D right now? Is this a camera issue or a SD card issue? Possibly fixed with ML in the future or do we need faster cards? Maybe we are just screwed?

What is the largest res people are getting @ 24?

thanks!

xNiNELiVES

Quote from: aphex on June 19, 2013, 05:57:47 AM
So there is no way to record 1080p with the 6D right now? Is this a camera issue or a SD card issue? Possibly fixed with ML in the future or do we need faster cards? Maybe we are just screwed?

What is the largest res people are getting @ 24?

thanks!

We are screwed as far as continuous 1080p but we can get 20 seconds of 1792 x 672. You need a 45mb/s card. If we get access to the CPU of the camera we can get 12 and 10 bit raw which sacrifices minimally as far as picture quality goes but allows us to get probably 20 seconds plus of 1920x720. If we learn how to replace the IC (Card writing printed circuit board) and rewrite the firmware we can obtain higher write speeds than the 40mb/s cap and get (I think) continuous 1080p or somewhat very close. Definitely continuous 1920 by 900<.

Audionut

Quote from: xNiNELiVES on June 19, 2013, 06:24:37 AM
If we get access to the CPU of the camera we can get 12 and 10 bit raw which sacrifices minimally as far as picture quality goes but allows us to get probably 20 seconds plus of 1920x720.

Bitdepth reduction is not possible.  It's got nothing to do with being able to access the CPU.  The CPU is to slow.

Quote from: xNiNELiVES on June 19, 2013, 06:24:37 AM
If we learn how to replace the IC (Card writing printed circuit board) and rewrite the firmware we can obtain higher write speeds than the 40mb/s cap and get (I think) continuous 1080p or somewhat very close. Definitely continuous 1920 by 900<.

That's a big IF!

xNiNELiVES

Quote from: Audionut on June 19, 2013, 08:31:16 AM
Bitdepth reduction is not possible.  It's got nothing to do with being able to access the CPU.  The CPU is to slow.

That's a big IF!

Oh I thought that was the case as far as bitdepth reduction.

Yeah, really small chance, I agree.

Gobian

As xNineLives has pointed, I have been able to record 1920x816 (2:39) and over if you choose zoom x5, not more than 8 secs at that res, but for me enough to get a shot. Continuous recording is another matter, which like everyone is saying for our 6D seems pretty difficult to archive.

Without going to crop mode I think we can not go further than 1792x752 (2:39) and I am getting round 11-12 secs, which is not bad either, upscaling that to 1080p you get pretty good results.
[SIZE=1]6D | 550D | Canon f4/24-105mm IS USM | Canon f4/70-200mm USM |Canon f1.8/85mm | Canon f1.4/50mm |Tokina f2.8/11-16mm |

random

Can we get a true 1:2,34-format back please?
Before the last update I got it, but right now it just gives 1:2,35.

darkstarr

Quote from: noisyboy on June 19, 2013, 04:48:01 AM
Updated the zip in the guide with latest build as of this evening. Should be a pretty boss build - props 1% for kicking ass for fun. Was gonna try and tidy up the guide a bit more but a) it works and b) we are getting closer to being able to install ML without having to go through the pain of downgrading first which will need a big re-write anyway. Of course this will be sorted when Coutts gets time as of course (as always) this is all done in peoples spare time after all so please just hold tight those of you who are waiting for a more simple solution :)

Cheeeers!  8)

noisyboy my good man, is this build including the new variable buffer? im ready to take the plunge! lol
good job team ML