600D/T3i Raw Video

Started by N/A, May 18, 2013, 04:16:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnBarlow

This is incorrect

Twixtor has to make 24 frames each sec, because each of those 19 frames is at the wrong temporal position
So the result is 100% Twixtor

12p is best -- Twixtor only needs to tween 1 extra frame per sample 12p --> 24p only 12 frames needed per sec. so the result is 50% Twixtor

Quote from: apefos on June 17, 2013, 12:12:38 PM

so twixtor will create one new frame for each four existing frames

apefos

Yes John, I gave it a thought. I understood and agree. better shoot 12fps to do twixtor.

If some software just recreates one frame for each four frames the motion will have some stops, something like a balk, to stumble at each four frames, so it would be annoying, and the footage will looks like a fast speed.

BenRott

apefos

Me? I use the Sandisk SDHC 32GB Extreme 45MB/s

In the USB 3.0 Card Reader in Windows Computer it shows 28MB/s write and 34MB/s read

Works great for all resolutions and fps in RAW recording in T3i 600D until something around 21MB/s when frames starts to skip

BenRott

I mean you also, but I thought au YOU all, that are aactive writing

CFP

I'm using the same card. And I get the same results. It's a very good card.

robrock_68

Shot some test footage in 720p mode. Aliasing and moire are present, but the added dynamic range is worth it. Had a few "blinky sky" moments, but looking at the individual dng files to see if I can correct them individually in ACR. The other flickering is due to the lens I used... Sigma 18-50 without constant aperture, so zooming is a no no, but hey this was only a test of dynamic range and flexibility in RAW.

JohnBarlow

***BUG ALERT***

Excuse me if this has already been reported.

When using the camera without ML on a card, my camera will not allow me to change resolution. It says SRaw and I just get a screen with colored boxes even after power down, remove battery etc.

I have to completely reset the camera to gain normal functionality which is a royal pain. Seems like some work has to be done to resume the camera resources.

a1ex

I have advised countless times against the sraw hack, but that's all I can do. Sorry.

JohnBarlow

LOL

Quote from: a1ex on June 18, 2013, 11:22:52 PM
I have advised countless times against the sraw hack, but that's all I can do. Sorry.

Sane__

Quote from: robrock_68 on June 18, 2013, 07:58:26 PM
Shot some test footage in 720p mode. Aliasing and moire are present, but the added dynamic range is worth it. Had a few "blinky sky" moments, but looking at the individual dng files to see if I can correct them individually in ACR. The other flickering is due to the lens I used... Sigma 18-50 without constant aperture, so zooming is a no no, but hey this was only a test of dynamic range and flexibility in RAW.

I agree the dynamic range is sweet but the quality is terrible! It's like you shoot it with your iphone 3gs or something..  For now h264 codec is still the best option if you want to shoot something serious... Damn i hate that 21mb limit on 600d..

N/A

Not feeling the twixtor workflow, just one more step in an already complex editing setup. I've been trying out different upscale solutions and ACR's stock crop tool works pretty well, just gotta shoot with a sharp lens and keep sharpness off during editing till the last step.
7D. 600D. Rokinon 35 cine. Sigma 30 1.4
Audio and video recording/production, Random Photography
Want to help with the latest development but don't know how to compile?

robrock_68

thinking I'm gonna use raw on the 600D for some greenscreen tests and see what happens... Just went back and looked at some h264 footage, and compared the two directly, and I like the h264 better overall. However, I looked at some footage from the MKIII and OMG. I just don't want to spend that kind of money. I'm thinking the BMPC and tokina 11-16 eos mount and a eos to mft adapter...

zim9000

Quote from: JohnBarlow on June 18, 2013, 11:21:26 PM
***BUG ALERT***

Excuse me if this has already been reported.

When using the camera without ML on a card, my camera will not allow me to change resolution. It says SRaw and I just get a screen with colored boxes even after power down, remove battery etc.

I have to completely reset the camera to gain normal functionality which is a royal pain. Seems like some work has to be done to resume the camera resources.

I just popped the alpha back on the card, switched it back to RAW Large fine and reinstalled the current supported ML.  Good to go.

1%

Remember when you set sraw to set it back. You won't be able to from canon menus. Its not a canon supported mode.

And never use MRAW as the pictures aren't going to come out.

clkvang

The latest build by 1% is rock solid for me. I did 1024x512 reso without any issues on my Sandisk. Shot over 3000 frames without dropping a single frame. I like that reso better than 960x544.

Thanks for all the work 1%.

robrock_68

Okay, since I seem to have a bit more female in me than I realized, I can't make up my mind.  :P  With RAW in mind, which camera (Canon DSLR) is the best for using this feature. I would like to avoid the MKIII cost, so which of the "lower" cost DSLR's is best so far (Current product line).

Looking for the biggest bang for the buck and good low light in the h264 modes as well.

Indianac

Anyone know if there's still development going on for new 600D builds? Aslo I was looking at the other thread re: variable buffering. Anyone try that trick with the 600d? Is it even possible?

CFP

Quote from: robrock_68 on June 20, 2013, 07:22:35 PM
With RAW in mind, which camera (Canon DSLR) is the best for using this feature.
If a EOS 5D Mark III is to expensive, get a used EOS 50D. You can get them for ~ 400 €.

Since the 50D has the same write speeds like a 5D Mark II (~ 80 Megabyte/s at the moment, but there's still space for improvements) it's capable of recording 14-bit RAW at high resolutions. Only issue: No audio recording. You have to use an external recorder ... if you don't do that anyway :D

Here's the 50D's RAW thread: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5586.0

If you need a flipscreen and internal audio, wait for the 70D and keep your fingers crossed for it to have a CF-card slot.
The Rebel cameras are to slow for high resolutions.

1%

Yea coming up... my 600D card got eaten so I have to take a card from something else.

It won't let me upload to bitbucket for some reason:

http://www.qfpost.com/file/d?g=6WfjNBd80

Edgar Matos

Quote from: N/A on June 19, 2013, 08:38:51 AM
Not feeling the twixtor workflow, just one more step in an already complex editing setup. I've been trying out different upscale solutions and ACR's stock crop tool works pretty well, just gotta shoot with a sharp lens and keep sharpness off during editing till the last step.

I;m thinking the same. Still, I made some test using 18 and 19 FPS, it allowed me to shot 1280 2.35.1. With out twixtor of course. The result where pretty decent. I was about to upload some footage, but now I see that Alex had another epiphany. So, I'm waiting until dialog timers are disabled in order to see how far can the camera go now.

Quote from: 1% on June 21, 2013, 01:20:50 AM
... my 600D card got eaten

Yeah it happens sometimes

robrock_68

ok, possible game changer.... Expensive, but Is now on my short list of things to get.....

http://store.mosaicengineering.com/VAF-TXi-Moire-Aliasing-Filter_p_14.html

you tube example

alephone

Are we about maxed out on the RAW abilities of the 600D?

vicnaum

Wow great. Now I can shoot reasonable time on max resolution @ 2.39:1 (1728x...).
Around 150-250 frames is usually enough. Both in [email protected] mode, and in 640@12fps mode.

NewNoise

what about the new streaming that a1ex released? is gonna improve buffering on the 600d?