600D/T3i Raw Video

Started by N/A, May 18, 2013, 04:16:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1%

QuoteIf you resize it in post to 1280 X 720 you should get a pretty nice 720p image, right?

Pretty much...
Zoom > 1080/640P > 720P

Zoom is only 1/2 the height since its a ~1:1, 720P you get more of the vertical at the expense of canon resizing the raw even more.

CFP

Holy shit!

I wonder what the 5D Mark III guys are getting when they upscale their 1920 X 1080 RAW files?
(Not that you really need more ... It is just amazing to see what the Canon DSLR are capable of!)

You can't scale a 1600 X 400 image to 1600 X 664 in Lightroom ... So what did you use? Photoshop? :)

This is still sooo excited!

vicnaum

Quote from: CFP on May 19, 2013, 11:13:38 PM
You can't scale a 1600 X 400 image to 1600 X 664 in Lightroom ... So what did you use? Photoshop? :)

Yes, sure, I scaled and matched them in photoshop.

Here are the promised field tests:

http://img577.imageshack.us/img577/6980/fieldtestolga.png

http://img844.imageshack.us/img844/6554/fieldtestsunset.png

Shot at 1280x400 (1920p mode, so without streching).
Compared to H264 1920p, scaled down in photoshop to match the size of raw.

So now I must admit that raw is fairly usable, even on 600d. Now just need to make it stable, etc... And if you guys manage to do some compression - it will be flawless.

And btw, need to fix those dead pixels somehow (they are seen even in lightroom)

Alia5

"Tried" to cover the cropfactor too... just quick and dirty, nothing excact!

To me, RAW cleary won the race! even with that extreme streching!
Only problem are those "baked in "corrupt" Pixels"
Havent had them in EatLV-Version i think, but not completely sure, could als be because the lower iso i tried yesterday

But about noise... Cinestyle owns it... didn't do any noise reduction to cinestyle.. but for the raw as you can clearly see

N/A

The dead pixels add character  ;D

Neat video is good for noise btw.
7D. 600D. Rokinon 35 cine. Sigma 30 1.4
Audio and video recording/production, Random Photography
Want to help with the latest development but don't know how to compile?

Alia5

Yeah i know ;)
Just threw both frames in PS and only noise reduction i did was in ACR, in wich i didn't touch the cinestyle file ;)

CFP

Yes, noise is a real problem at the moment. This weird LiveView noise is even uglier then normal noise.

Overexposing a bit and turn down the exposure in post seems to work very well to avoid noise. But I bought a DSLR to be able to shoot even in low light so I really hope there's a solution for that ... And of course the colorfull pixels are a little bit distracting too.

And we also need the missing camera profiles. The green tones still look a bit strange in my opinion.

But thinking back to three weeks ago where we just had H.264 and nothing else ... It's really awesome how much progress has been made and how great the results are. Even with the very cheap EOS 600D, an entry level DSLR (Mainly a photo camera!), we are now able to record (fake) 720p raw video at 24 frames per second. That make's the 600D one of the best video cameras under 2000 €!

I mean: The dynamic range is huuuge, the details are stunning, just like the colors. There are no motion artifacts and the freedoms in post are incredible!

I'm sure the issues above can be fixed. Only thing that's left and that will stay forever is rolling shutter.

Alia5

I think that, for the noise, RAW beats regular recording when you do not need iso of 6400, but didn't test yet, especially cuz we can overexpose
regularly i never go above iso 1600 for video!

"dead-pixel" fix, and the ability to delete recorded files would already make it perfect for me ;)

i just hope that canon doesn't close any door for the really magic- lantern

1%

The noise and dead pixels are all there for H264.. canon just does things to take them out like noise reduction and defect detection.

N/A

The bad pixels come out easily with acr spot removal.

gebo

Hi

I made a simple test that I would like to share with you.
Not a fair test because the framing was different and I had to stretch the RAW footage a LOT to match the H.264...

Alia5

Quote from: 1% on May 20, 2013, 01:39:57 AM
The noise and dead pixels are all there for H264.. canon just does things to take them out like noise reduction and defect detection.

then i guess we'll just the same in photoshop!...

Quote from: N/A on May 20, 2013, 01:45:18 AM
The bad pixels come out easily with acr spot removal.

...an automated action in PS kills it after resizing, all automatically :)

made another test... this time in photomode...
killed h264 cinestyle regarding noise, setting iso to 12800 and bring exporure down in post.
also did a second noise reduction after upscaling in acr

need to test this in real life scenarios!

remember, this was shot on iso 12800!(!!!)

Nspa32

Quote from: gebo on May 20, 2013, 02:25:23 AM
Hi

I made a simple test that I would like to share with you.
Not a fair test because the framing was different and I had to stretch the RAW footage a LOT to match the H.264...

H.264 looks much better here to be honest. Did you up the CBR on this H.264 either?

1%

That's a lot of pink frames. Really low light and high iso.

vicnaum

I also agree that on this video sample the h264 looks more detailed and softer&smoother (cozy) at the same time.

Btw, here's my 1280x400 unstreched raw video sample from fieldtests above:

gebo

Quote from: Nspa32 on May 20, 2013, 05:16:43 AM
H.264 looks much better here to be honest. Did you up the CBR on this H.264 either?

RAW in low light has much more noise but at the same time is sharper so it's hard to tell which is best.
Denoising the RAW with neatvideo produced a very clean image without losing detail.
I'm sorry but what is CBR?

Quote from: 1% on May 20, 2013, 06:16:51 AM
That's a lot of pink frames. Really low light and high iso.

The ISO was 800, not that high. Pink frames seem to appear in some clips for no apparent reason. Sometimes I shoot something and there are zero pink frames. The next minute I shoot something with the exact same settings and BANG there are pink frames... no matter if it's ISO 100 or 800... but when they appear there seems to be a pattern, let's say there are 4 pink frames... then 5 seconds without pink frames, then more 3 pink frames, then another 5 seconds ok... and so on...

N/A

I haven't gotten pink frames since the first couple builds, even when recording for a few minutes straight.

Faulty card, perhaps?

gebo

Quote from: N/A on May 20, 2013, 10:15:17 AM
I haven't gotten pink frames since the first couple builds, even when recording for a few minutes straight.

Faulty card, perhaps?

Not the card. The previous card was slower and I already got pink frames. Yesterday I bought a new one (Sandisk extreme 45 mb/s 16Gb) and keep getting pink frames. Sometimes there are no pink frames at all even when shooting for a few minutes. I turn everyting off in ML menus and have SRAW enabled. I shoot in 1920 24p mode. Am I doing something wrong?

vicnaum

I'm also having pink frames. Same Sandisk 45Mb/s Extreme 16Gb card. sRAW on, Global Draw Off, Hack3D off (cause I can't see what I'm shooting).

How should I format my card? Is in-camera format with "keep ML" enough? Or something else needed?

N/A

Try shooting in 640x480 mode. I can have histo on while shooting at 1152x480,  fps override on 24.000.

I think I did format the card (sandisk 95) with EosCard before using it, that MIGHT help. I've done a few in-cam formats since then too.

As of now I can manage 364 frames at 1200x480 or 1152x500, 1080 or 480 mode (hack3d mode didn't seem to help). Frames looked good in cam playback as well. Write speeds were around a constant 21.1 mb/s.

Just shot some ocean sunrise footage...

:D

vicnaum

Quote from: N/A on May 20, 2013, 11:16:39 AM
Try shooting in 640x480 mode. I can have histo on while shooting at 1152x480,  fps override on 24.000.

640 yes, will try, but I wanted to shot canon720p for stretching...

Rush

Quotesetting iso to 12800 and bring exporure down in post.
do you know, that shooting RAW ISO12800 is the same as ISO3200+2 stop exposure up in post? max native sensor ISO of 600D is 3200
Greetings from Russia!

Alia5

Quote from: Rush on May 20, 2013, 03:00:55 PM
do you know, that shooting RAW ISO12800 is the same as ISO3200+2 stop exposure up in post? max native sensor ISO of 600D is 3200

I didnÄt know that! but it somehow looks better than shooting with iso 6400 ;)

clkvang

So I'm very confused on how people are shooting the RAW videos.

Is the consensus to change the setting in the standard Canon menu to 640x480 60FPS then in ML change the resolution to something like 1280 x 400. Then do a manual frame per second override and set it to 24 FPS?

I ask because I've been shooting at 1920x1080 24FPS and using ML to set reso to 1152x400 which my max continous shooting reso even on my Sandisk Extreme 95mb/s card.

This gives me tremendous results, but the aspect ration is pretty narrow.

How are you guys doing your RAW shooting?

vfx_junkie

I shot today on 1920x1080p 23.976 default resolution in camera, then in ML RAW mode 960x480, I upscaled it to 1920 in post looks better than h264

I use sundisk extreme 30 mb it doesnt stop or skipp but I got pink frames now and then
600D kit lense + 50 1.8