600D/T3i Raw Video

Started by N/A, May 18, 2013, 04:16:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

leojames

hello i am new on the forums and just got a 600D, i have ML installed but i cannot see a RAW video tab in the menu? can someone help me ?

Andy600

@1% - I've been thinking more about the buffer size and I'm probably well off the mark here because I don't fully understand the buffer's relationship to raw video but, if sraw is giving us 106 on the 600d wouldn't 5x21 be better as that's the limit for SD writing and uses nearly all the memory? Not sure if this would benefit in any way. Just curious :)
Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

vicnaum

Just tested RAW files for compression. 7zip gives 60% of volume (using Ultra settings), and fast LZ4 gives 84%.

So, if sometimes someone implements on-the-fly compression of RAWs - we can gain a bit more resolution on our slow SD cameras.

Andy600

Compressed CinemaDNG would be the way to go but that would take a lot of processing power. I don't think these cameras can handle it, especially the 600d... but then again, I never thought raw video would be possible :)
Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

lucifier

What about a 650D within UHS-1.Can  650D do more than  600D, which is limited to 20M/S.(sorry for my weak english ::))

vicnaum

Quote from: lucifier on May 19, 2013, 01:31:44 PM
What about a 650D within UHS-1.Can  650D do more than  600D, which is limited to 20M/S.(sorry for my weak english ::))

It should support UHS-1, so it should be faster. Glad if someone tests if it's true, cause I want to exchange my 600D -> to 650D now.

cobyalon

yeah, i was wondering about that either...i have 60D but if 1920x1080 RAW video works on the t4i i'll go get one right away :)
it seems that it'll work based on its faster CPU and the faster SD capabilities. maybe someone of the devs can confirm that ...

vicnaum

Or, mentioning compression, if we can compress (losslessly, or lossy) our footage to 5 bits-per-pixel - then our 22MB/s 600D/60D/etc can handle 1920x810 cinemascope @24fps.

I'd mentioned some algorithms here:
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5247.msg37207#msg37207

And I don't worry much about resolution, it's more about image crop - on 1280x400 (the maximum I could do on my 600D/UHS-1) - I get only a small center crop of already small 1.6x cropped sensor. Yes, BMCC has ~2.3x crop :-D, but on 600D+18mm - it's still a bit too tight FOV, and with this crop - it's even more tight.

Alia5

Quote from: Kakuda on May 19, 2013, 09:33:54 AM
I have some dead/bluish pixels in RAW mode as well. I don't see them in h.264 video mode or taking pictures in RAW. Anyone could tell me what are they?

They are gone if you process the Images with ACR

nanomad

Quote from: vicnaum on May 19, 2013, 01:44:05 PM
It should support UHS-1, so it should be faster. Glad if someone tests if it's true, cause I want to exchange my 600D -> to 650D now.

The controller caps at 40MB/s , so you can't do 720p (1280x560)
EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

leojames

i figured it out , but can someone tell me how these the magenta could pop up less frequent is it possible to reduce it?

for this clip i was shooting at 1120x400 with a SANDISK 8GB 95mb EXTREME pro

https://vimeo.com/66497095

vicnaum

It seems that the video "RAW" isn't much the same as the CR2 raw that's used for photo. I don't know is it on all cameras, or just on 600D, so posting here in 600D thread first.

I've shot the same frame in CR2 raw "M" mode, and then in video RAW mode (with the same exposure, f-stop, and iso).

Here are the DNG video raw and canon CR2 (as opened in Lightroom):

http://img832.imageshack.us/img832/9987/201305191637.jpg

Only the white balance was changed to (5200, -2) to be equal in both images (somehow video white balance is always 5500, +55, and I don't know how to change it).

Then, if I turn the exposure all the way up (+5 EV) on both images, I see strange things happen:

http://img713.imageshack.us/img713/903/201305191639.jpg

First - the shadows are tinted green (which can be slightly fixed by Shadows Tint slider in Camera Calibration tab, but not completely).
But the second, and most important - we completely lose shadow details in deep blacks.

And that can't be fixed by any slider - contract, blacks, curve, etc... there seems that there is no information there.

One possible reason for this can be the absense of camera metadata (i.e. camera calibration profiles - DCP) in DNG.
Lightroom doesn't allow using custom DCP, but I tried to import the "Adobe (Canon EOS 600D)" calibration profile into the DNG through RawTherapee - and it all looks the same - almost nothing changes - the shadows remain black/green.

(please scroll the message to the right - the blacks part of the image are hidden by the forum)

Andy600

N/A

I'm having the same issues as well, wb and green shadows are pretty easily fixed but pulling up shadows and doing major exposure work is very limited. Maybe the issue is raw2dng, I wonder if dng burst files have the same issues...
7D. 600D. Rokinon 35 cine. Sigma 30 1.4
Audio and video recording/production, Random Photography
Want to help with the latest development but don't know how to compile?

a1ex

I'm 99% sure the skip values are wrong in raw.c, so the black level is overestimated. Enable RAW_DEBUG_BLACK in raw.c and chdk-dng.c and post some dng silent pictures.

1%

Heh, I was just going to say but black level wasn't being detected right for a while. Skip values too high? Because I'm not seeing black borders on the images.

This is skip I have

skip_top        =  22; //zoom ?   0 : 22;
skip_left       = zoom ?   0 : 148;
skip_right      = 0;
skip_bottom = 0;

Also... before we blame skip values:

raw_info.black_level = (2048+32) ;

Otherwise raw histo looked wonkers.

a1ex

Yes, black level is wrong because skip values are wrong.

If skip is too high, you will not see black borders, obviously. If skip_left is 0, black level will not work at all.

1%

I hard set black level to 2048 before... with new fix its working and magenta cast is gone... on 6D magenta cast is still there.

Ok, so there is a problem with skip level @ zoom, skip top should be 4. Skip left still 0 tho.

a1ex

vicnaum

Wow, quick fix :-)

Now it works okay:

Still needs a correct camera metadata or embedded calibration profile for the greens to be gone, but that is raw2dng job I guess. I can't find any software that can embed the profile into DNG...

Here's the dng:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/vtc3h9

1%

Not 100% fixed yet... I found some extra skips.. was a little too small by like 4px.

skip_top        =  26; //zoom ?   4 : 22;
        skip_left       = zoom ?   0 : 152;
        skip_right      = zoom ?   0 : 2;
        skip_bottom = 0;

Here is the kicker tho... zoom mode has no left skip for real, image data all the way to the end. Black level detection fails and now all pink.

1%

Here is a 5x zoom DNG with these values:

http://www.qfpost.com/file/d?g=wqquewcxi

Should I just skip 2px so the calculations aren't done on 0

That didn't work.

vicnaum

Also here's my RAW/H264.CineStyle comparison:

Yes, raw is much more crisp, but it's also very cropped on 600D. And still doubt what is better in matter of resolution: 1920x1080 h264 vs 960x540 raw.
And right now I can't see any improvements in dynamic range here - CineStyle is really flat and gives pretty much all range it can give from sensor, and in raw - noise eats it all (high-resolution raws (CR2) compensate noise with resolution).

On 5dmk3 raw is superior of course, and on 600d - well, need further testing (if die Sache lohnt die Mühe nicht).

1%

8 bit 4:2:0 vs 14 bit 4:4:4... H264 isn't better for sure but the resolution cut is an issue. Maybe skip top needs to be used for black level instead?

Andy600

@1% - re: resolution. How about the buffer thing I suggested above?

http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5494.msg37153#msg37153

(speculation of course)