Canon 6D / Firmware 1.1.3

Started by coutts, December 16, 2012, 06:19:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vorob

Was there any attempt to solve moire issue on 6d? Make video more like it is on 5dmk3.

ahlongslide

vorob,

For just the cost of an arm and a leg, you can add one of these:
http://www.mosaicengineering.com/products/vaf/6d.html

mirrorslap

Quote from: ahlongslide on January 14, 2015, 04:35:43 PM
vorob,

For just the cost of an arm and a leg, you can add one of these:
http://www.mosaicengineering.com/products/vaf/6d.html

I recently picked up a 6D and bought the VAF-6D just this past week.  I hope to get a chance to try it out this weekend.  The videos online are quite impressive for the amount of moirĂ© it removes.

I really like the 6D and hope the filter is the solution to the only real video ailment that the 6D has for my use.

Over the last 3 days, during some of my spare time, I've read through this forum from start to finish - just to get caught up on what's new.

ML was really easy to load onto the memory card (very simple and speedy process compared to the last time I added ML on a 6D that I had sometime ago).

Thanks to DEVs for time spent on the 6D ML build - much appreciated.  The 6D is a great camera - great size/weight for full frame, some of the best low noise images/HD video for current dslr's, and very sensitive low light focusing accuracy.  It's received a lot of negativity for a few short comings but if the short comings specific to the 6D aren't your bread and butter then it's a great dslr for the money (especially for a slightly used one).

If anyone is interested, I'll share my thoughts on the filter once I get a chance to try it out.

thx

Joshua_G

Does ML enables FHD (1920x1080) clean HDMI out on 6D?

sleepy

I'm seriously panicking right now.

I followed the directions to install ML (got my canon 6D firmware to 1.1.3, formatted the SD card, put the ML firmware files on the SD card, ran the firmware update). It then said to "restart the camera" and I did.

It came back on, some messages flashed quickly (one about removing the boot flag, another about a missing file) and then the screen went black. No buttons worked.

After I did a battery pull, I was able to get the camera to restart, but when the screen comes on, it says something about 'the camera was not shut down cleanly' and a missing module.

------------------------------------------------------------

EDIT: After another battery pull, I fired it back on and went back into the menu to install the firmware update again. It seems to have been successful and I restarted the camera. But I guess I'm lost now as to how to access any of the ML features. The menu looks identical.

This was using this build: magiclantern-Nightly.2015Jan15.6D113.

Help, please?

Walter Schulz

Delete ML directory and Autoexec.bin from card.
Extract nightly contents and copy files to card (Autoexec.bin + FIR + ML directory)
Insert card into cam and startup. Report results.

sleepy

EDIT: I found my error. Ugh - I'm stupid and it's been a bad day already.  :(

EDIT 2: One issue was fixed, but i still don't see how to access any kind of ML menu. If it's supposed to appear when I click MENU, then it's not and i guess I need to delete everything and reinstall?

Walter Schulz

Not your day today: ML menu will open after pressing trashcan button. You may want to dive into Top of page -> User Guide -> FAQ and User Guide.

sleepy

Thank you, sir.

The issue was after the install, I waited to allow the bootflag to disable, and that's why the menu wasn't coming up. I did that because of the first time I installed and it goofed up (which was actually due to another reason--also my error). Thanks for your patience with this n00b.

KelvinK

Quote from: DJHaze596 on January 11, 2015, 08:09:46 PM
You need this:  Sandisk Extreme Pro 64 GB 95 MB/s http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007NDL54C/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

You're Physics are either wrong or Magic Lantern isn't telling us everything.  I use a Sandisk Extreme Pro 64 GB 95 MB/s.  It doubled the recording time compared to my Sandisk 45 MB/s Card.  Also note,  I disable Audio.  The Video shows the resolution so what is there to lie about.

http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=3904.msg137046#msg137046

I'm sure it's myth. You rather had "bad" 45MB/s card (much used or something).
I've absolutely same amount of frames on Sundisk 45MB/s, 80MB/s cards and Kingston with 60MB/s write speed.
6D - 5D - NEX - M50!

KelvinK

Quote from: vorob on January 14, 2015, 02:45:45 PM
Was there any attempt to solve moire issue on 6d? Make video more like it is on 5dmk3.

Only the way on 6D to get rid off from moire turn it in video-only camera installing VAF. You will also lose the crop-mode in RAW with this module. The final result looks awesome, I would get instatly if i could live without taking photos. But video looks really clean http://magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=13367.msg129083#msg129083
6D - 5D - NEX - M50!

KelvinK

Quote from: Dagamus(NM) on January 10, 2015, 04:25:21 PM
Hi everybody, I feel exhausted after reading this entire thread and the TL threads about the 6D.

To the devs a big thank you. I started with the 6D in November where I learned about ML shortly afterward. After installing (which BTW is very easy and straightforward especially if you bother to read the first post of this thread) I was a bit overwhelmed by the feature set but I must say that if I use the search function and review them one at a time they become much clearer.

After being disappointed in the constraints of raw video in the 6D I decided to see how it be in a 50D. Well I think my answer is to use both. 6D in 720 and 50D in 1080 cropped sensor. Some day if I get serious about making movies I will get a 5D mark whatever is current but I am making safety and instructional videos so image quality will be fine even if shot in h.264.

Walter, I love your humor and hope to not ever become the butt of one of your replies. I have been on a lot of forums and never have I seen the same question on every page of a thread like I have here.

RAW on 6D looks awesome. Check some movies posted in http://magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?board=19.0
TBH, this forum and movies posted there pushed me to shoot in RAW only.
Sadly ML development looks like freezed or dead now, probably most of them focused on Axiom now.
6D - 5D - NEX - M50!

XxSKELETITSxX

Is there really much that can be done with ML on this camera, and if so could I donate to help?

Walter Schulz

Please be more elaborate.
ML is supporting this cam.
What are you missing, exactly?

Santiak

Hello there....

I just installed the ML software that I downloaded today in my 6D. It does wonders and I thank you very much for the work you've done (that Canon should have).
But I have a problem that I do not find the way to get around. It is that the menus don't hold open for more than five seconds, and the recording in RAW mode is also interrupted after five seconds.
Is that a common issue? Does anybody have a solution?
Is it a wrong installation? I've already desinstalled and reinstalled ML once without result.

Walter Schulz

You don't give any information about the settings you used for RAW recording. Most such errors are caused by buffer overflow. SD-card interface is good for about 41 MByte/s only. If your card is slower than that it will cause lower rates. Bottlenecked by lowest number.

Live view issue is a known bug.

bountybob

are there no audio feature in the last build ?

extremelypoorfilmaker

yes there are audio features. you need to enable MLV_snd in the modules screen :)

Levas

MLV_snd will give you the option of recording sound along with raw MLV.
To control audio you have to use audio menu in CANON menu.
6d has standard manual audio levels and windfilters etc...

DBStudios

Hey guys, so I encountered quite an odd problem today.  I have been running ML on my 6d since about April with no issues whatsoever, until now.  I used my camera on a shoot Saturday using my 3 cards which have ML installed and everything went perfect.  I turned on my camera to do a shoot today and I get nothing from ML on the display.  If I hit the trash can I can get into the settings and everything is normal there, but I still get no overlays on the display on any of the cards.  Has anyone encountered anything like this and if so did you find a fix?

Walter Schulz

Press INFO button several times in liveview and make sure to have Global Draw enabled for all modes.

grey

Hello. I noticed that after shooting in MLV stops working autofocus. What is the reason?

extremelypoorfilmaker

I have a 6D and i shoot MLV buy my autofocus still works. Wait, are you suggesting you want to use autofocus in video mode? :D My suggestion would be: Simply don't. the 6D autofocus in video mode is too slow and useless.. but that is my opinion

javapop

Is there a way to have the ML menu stay open a little longer? It closes after 2 seconds.

extremelypoorfilmaker

Nope. It will stay that way for EVER :P Still, a small price to pay compared to all the goodies ML gives you! :)