Canon 6D / Firmware 1.1.3

Started by coutts, December 16, 2012, 06:19:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sartajr

Thanks for your answer.
I am taking stills (RAW). Long exposures of about 15 to 30 secs, low ISO. I have been taking those, and a few thousand of them, pictures for a while now, and only had a few hot pixels here and there. Until i installed ML and then did pretty much the same photos, and there are so many Hot pixels it becomes very obvious. Then i removed ML and they are gone. Even though i am still shooting same photos.
Yup i know about post workflow looking for Hot pixels and fixing them, but it adds much more to my workflow when i have enough to do already.
I consider myself able to determine logical workflow and logical deduction and simulation. There is something up with the hot pixels not being remapped as it is in Canon Firmware.
If any of you know the technical reasoning behind this issue, it would be great to consider a solution.

Walter Schulz

Sorry but if you are aware of logical workflow/deduction you should also know the procedures for debugging. This is not a known issue for ML. So we have to follow your workflow to see what went wrong (reproducing the error) or analyze samples. Both would be best.
As written before you can switch from ML to plain Canon just by pressing SET button at startup.

zloe

Is there a way to get the BIN files from a 6D with newest firmware (1.1.6).
I could invest some time to work on finding the stubs.
EOS 6D, EOS 650D both with ML, EOS 80D (no ML, ... yet)

Dagamus(NM)

Hi everybody, I feel exhausted after reading this entire thread and the TL threads about the 6D.

To the devs a big thank you. I started with the 6D in November where I learned about ML shortly afterward. After installing (which BTW is very easy and straightforward especially if you bother to read the first post of this thread) I was a bit overwhelmed by the feature set but I must say that if I use the search function and review them one at a time they become much clearer.

After being disappointed in the constraints of raw video in the 6D I decided to see how it be in a 50D. Well I think my answer is to use both. 6D in 720 and 50D in 1080 cropped sensor. Some day if I get serious about making movies I will get a 5D mark whatever is current but I am making safety and instructional videos so image quality will be fine even if shot in h.264.

Walter, I love your humor and hope to not ever become the butt of one of your replies. I have been on a lot of forums and never have I seen the same question on every page of a thread like I have here.
5D3, 6D, 50D, 60D, 350D, 1100D. 16-35mmf2.8L, 24-105mmf4L, 100mmf2.8L, a bunch of others not worth mentioning

MiKser

Hi, guys! Some ppl have 40+sec 1792x762 raw vid, but i cant get more than 7 sec vid with such resolution. Also i cant activate 255mb buffer. Try everything form this discussion. I have samsung sdhc 32gb (tested in cardreader 95r 85r speed) 40mb/s in ML bench. What i do wrong? Thank you, and sorry for my poor english.

Levas

Correction, only one person says he got 40+ seconds with 1792 resolution  8)
I doubt that  ;)
Got a 6d for more then a year and two fast Sandisks cards...never had more then 14 seconds of 1792x 750 resolution or 17 seconds of 1728 x 724 resolution...
That  is 25 fps MLV's with audio enabled.
2.39 aspect ratio is our lifesaver  :P

You can calculate the whole thing:
Your precious 6d SD card slot can write about 40MB/s max and the buffer is about 255MB.
1792 x 750 x 25FPS x 14bit /8 (Bits to bytes)  /1.000.000(bytes to Megabytes) = 59 MB/second... So if your SD can write out 40MB/s your buffer fills up with 19MB/s
255MB buffer / 19MB = 13 seconds of video -> boom buffer full  :o
It's called physics  :D

BTW
To enable the 255MB buffer you must activate in the ML raw menu -> the SRM memory hack/buffer option

extremelypoorfilmaker

As a 6D user, at the moment i can record RAW video at 1792 x 750 x 23.987FPS x 14bit to a maximum of 20 sec. than it skips frame.. But my guess is that it has to do that maybe i was shooting particularl dark subjects?

sartajr

Walter its ok no apology necessary. I appreciate feedback here. So my issue is quite simple. The ML firmware does not suppress or workaround the hot pixels that are generated by 15 sec or more exposures, and the same exposures, when i boot up with Set pressed, still renders hot pixels. After completely removing ML, and installing a new Canon firmware, the hot pixels (more than 30) are not appearing under identical or near identical conditions. So to me it appears that i am following basic logical workflow. although I'm not debugging the code. Any body else have a workaround or can get into the code? I can post photos with Hot pixels, but that looks like a photo with .....hot pixels. Im not sure if that will be of any help in deducing the problem.

DJHaze596

Quote from: extremelypoorfilmaker on January 11, 2015, 01:33:11 AM
As a 6D user, at the moment i can record RAW video at 1792 x 750 x 23.987FPS x 14bit to a maximum of 20 sec. than it skips frame.. But my guess is that it has to do that maybe i was shooting particularl dark subjects?

You need this:  Sandisk Extreme Pro 64 GB 95 MB/s http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007NDL54C/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Quote from: Levas on January 11, 2015, 12:31:09 AM
I doubt that  ;)
Got a 6d for more then a year and two fast Sandisks cards...never had more then 14 seconds of 1792x 750 resolution or 17 seconds of 1728 x 724 resolution...

Your precious 6d SD card slot can write about 40MB/s max and the buffer is about 255MB.
1792 x 750 x 25FPS x 14bit /8 (Bits to bytes)  /1.000.000(bytes to Megabytes) = 59 MB/second... So if your SD can write out 40MB/s your buffer fills up with 19MB/s

You're Physics are either wrong or Magic Lantern isn't telling us everything.  I use a Sandisk Extreme Pro 64 GB 95 MB/s.  It doubled the recording time compared to my Sandisk 45 MB/s Card.  Also note,  I disable Audio.  The Video shows the resolution so what is there to lie about.

http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=3904.msg137046#msg137046

MiKser

Quote from: DJHaze596 on January 11, 2015, 08:09:46 PM
You need this:  Sandisk Extreme Pro 64 GB 95 MB/s http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007NDL54C/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

You're Physics are either wrong or Magic Lantern isn't telling us everything.  I use a Sandisk Extreme Pro 64 GB 95 MB/s.  It doubled the recording time compared to my Sandisk 45 MB/s Card.  Also note,  I disable Audio.  The Video shows the resolution so what is there to lie about.

http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=3904.msg137046#msg137046

My samsung sdhc has same speed as sandisk extreme pro (i tested both in cardreader and in ML) but i cant get your results. What kind of dark magic do you use, and how much virgins blood do you sacrifice to earn such raw speed?  ;)

Quote from: Levas on January 11, 2015, 12:31:09 AM
I doubt that  ;)

BTW
To enable the 255MB buffer you must activate in the ML raw menu -> the SRM memory hack/buffer option

Yes, i made this calculations too, but cant get even 13 secs. I try all from this thread and also activate hack in ml menu, but still it shows 155mb of buffer and only 7 secs of raw. I can shoot only 24 fps 720p continuously. And i shoot without audio. :'(

Quote from: extremelypoorfilmaker on January 11, 2015, 01:33:11 AM

20 sec is nice too. What kind of card do you use?

dmilligan

You're Physics are either wrong or Magic Lantern isn't telling us everything.
Quote from: DJHaze596 on January 02, 2015, 04:51:03 AM
Also I think Magic Lantern Chooses not to do 8, 10, 12 bit RAW and i think it should be an option.  It's silly and i do not believe their reasoning behind it.
This attitude really ticks me off and I take direct offense to it. ML is an open community and all of the code is completely open. It is an affront to this community and to its members to say stuff like this. We are all Magic Lantern and you are calling us liars. Comments and attitude like this have no place here.

I use a Sandisk Extreme Pro 64 GB 95 MB/s.  It doubled the recording time compared to my Sandisk 45 MB/s Card.
Advertised manufacturer card speeds are for read speed not write speed. Your 45MB/s card likely has a much lower actual write speed, which is the reason you see so much improvement with the 95 MB/s card. Feel free to provide actual benchmark numbers to backup your baseless comments. If you still think ML is lying to you, feel free to inspect the benchmarking code and compile it yourself.

DJHaze596

Quote from: dmilligan on January 11, 2015, 08:55:54 PM
This attitude really ticks me off and I take direct offense to it. ML is an open community and all of the code is completely open. It is an affront to this community and to its members to say stuff like this. We are all Magic Lantern and you are calling us liars. Comments and attitude like this have no place here.
Advertised manufacturer card speeds are for read speed not write speed. Your 45MB/s card likely has a much lower actual write speed, which is the reason you see so much improvement with the 95 MB/s card. Feel free to provide actual benchmark numbers to backup your baseless comments. If you still think ML is lying to you, feel free to inspect the benchmarking code and compile it yourself.

Sorry to offend you which was not my intent.  it was simply an opinion to which you clearly took wrong.   I'm not calling anyone liars,  If anything.  You guys are calling me one by somehow not believing my video was shot at 1792x762 which clearly shows the resolution if you watch the video.  Again, i'm saying What is there to lie about.  Why would i make this up?  I can post up the original uncompressed video so you can determine the resolution for yourself.

Levas

I said I doubt it, that you could record 40+ seconds in 1792x762 resolution with 24fps.
But I love to know your secret, seriously  :D, I like to shoot 40+ seconds in that resolution.

The problem however is that I'm rather sceptic about it, since no 6d user has ever reported such long recording times, and we know for fact how big the memory buffer is and what the writing speed of the 6d is. ::)

Maybe you can send us a screenshot or type over the settings you used (go to ML menu, and move to the menu/tab most right, shaped like a triangle.)
If you can post these settings, we can try the same settings on other 6d's.

oleg1959

When there is a Magic Lantern for canon 1.1.6?

kyrobb

Scroll to the bottom of the FAQ page for the best answer you'll get, oleg.

vorob

Hello, i'm not using ML, but i'm interested in it in future, just enlighten me in one thing:

What's the current status of dual-iso mode? I'm especially interested in it in photomode, Looks like easy way to take photos with enormous dynamic rage. Is it possible? Just with on button have CR2 which will have 100/1600iso shot?

walter_schulz

oleg1959

Hello!
I read FAQ. Thanks.
Then other question.
Whether work on adaptation of ML for canon 6D an firmware 1.1.4 and 1.1.6 is conducted? It isn't present in FAQ.

XxSKELETITSxX

I just spent over $120 on a 280mbs card and I'm still not able to record raw footage without it skipping. I have a project coming up very soon, so my question is do I just uninstall magic lantern at this point?

XxSKELETITSxX

I just spent over $120 on a 280mbs card and I'm still not able to record raw footage without it skipping. I have a project coming up very soon, so my question is do I just uninstall magic lantern at this point?

walter_schulz

No camera supported by ML has an UHS-II interface. None!
And if your card is a SanDisk: In UHS-I mode it will do about 46 MByte/s.
And Canon implemented a slow SD-card interface in 6D which will max out at about 41 MByte/s.

So: Next time do a better job preparing for a job!

XxSKELETITSxX

I was advised by my director to get the card. So I don't see how this is my fault and this didn't really answer my question /:

walter_schulz

All technical specs are given in previous post. What are you missing?
If you uninstall ML there is no way to record RAW.

XxSKELETITSxX

Then, with me being completely new to this entire thing, what's the highest resolution I can shoot at in raw at this point?

walter_schulz

Do the math:

Required bandwidth = Vertical resolution(pixel) * horizontal resolution(pixel) * frame rate * 14 / 8

720p@25 will give
1280 * 720 * 25 * 14 / 8 =
-> 40320000 Byte/s
About 38.5 MByte/s
Overhead is always an issue. Don't expect to be stable going up to 40.
And use ExFAT file system for cards. FAT32 will not make you happy. Using ExFAT causes handling issues but it will not break your recording that easy.

EDIT: You can use higher resolution for non continuous recording. Just short clips until buffer is full.