Canon 6D / Firmware 1.1.3

Started by coutts, December 16, 2012, 06:19:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GiDesign

man i cant believe the 6D is not more popular than this.
any help would be awesome

kikislater

Hi,

I don't have the sound trigger, is it normal or not ?

brdski

Quote from: javapop on May 10, 2014, 03:05:49 AM
I just noticed that the 6D lists headphone monitoring under http://builds.magiclantern.fm/#/features

Has this been added recently in the nightly builds? It wasn't working on the last version I tried, a couple weeks ago.

I dont have any signal (mA or mV) on av cabel, but ML show massage headphones connected.

javapop

I tried the last build from the 15th. Headphones plug in, still have LCD screen; but no sound. Meters moving with sound...

Still very much lacing with basic sound level adjustments. Can anyone add reports for bugs? Where?

javapop

a1ex

Quote from: javapop on May 10, 2014, 03:05:49 AM
I just noticed that the 6D lists headphone monitoring under http://builds.magiclantern.fm/#/features

Fixed the feature table, but that's pretty much all I can do.

javapop

Quote from: a1ex on May 20, 2014, 11:53:32 PM
Fixed the feature table, but that's pretty much all I can do.

Thanks, whats the difficulty with this camera and monitoring audio via USB?

a1ex

Quote from: javapop on May 21, 2014, 04:10:53 AM
whats the difficulty with this camera and monitoring audio via USB?

No active developers with a 6D in their hands.

javapop

Quote from: a1ex on May 21, 2014, 07:27:30 AM
No active developers with a 6D in their hands.

I am glad to help; I can shoot video clips and try some things, if that  would be helpful.

Marsu42

Quote from: javapop on May 21, 2014, 02:54:58 PM
I am glad to help; I can shoot video clips and try some things, if that would be helpful.

Nice you're participating, but the current problem is not to find people who can try some things, but for devs who can code some things that cannot be copy/pasted from other cameras :-o

javapop

Quote from: Marsu42 on May 21, 2014, 02:57:46 PM
Nice you're participating, but the current problem is not to find people who can try some things, but for devs who can code some things that cannot be copy/pasted from other cameras :-o

I understand fully. If there was a developer closer to Augusta.... would be glad to meet!

javierfajnolla

Hi,
RAW video is not working, is it? I have raw_rec activated. If I start recording video with RAW video feature ON, the video stops recording when arriving to the second second (2"), the red right top corners says 1skipped and the message "Early stop(11). Didn't make it to estimated record time!." is shown. Video recording stops and nothing is saved (not even those 2 seconds...).

I experienced this with Nightly.2014Apr04.6D113 (the message was different, something like "this is a bug! please report it" and now with the version I updated to, magiclantern-Nightly2014May24.6D113.

Sorry if someone has reported this bug already... Is there something to solve this?
Thanks!

Marsu42

One question: After 1% seems to have left and the fork whose name shall never be uttered again doesn't receive any new commits, what's the current perspective of ML on 6d?

I'm not arguing to stop building 6d nightlies, on the contrary, but are there any new upcoming features like the patch manager for mini_iso and dual_iso which cannot be ported to the 6d unless a 1%-quality dev appears out of nowhere? Or is the new code expected to be so high level that even mere users can port it to the 6d with some trial and error procedure?

In any case, imho it should be mentioned here again that currently the advice concerning 6d is "don't get this camera if you want a trouble-free ML experience".

a1ex

1% is still active (for example, https://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/commits/f68f196807a3442a6bb09d40ecae89f00cb7697a#comment-972332 ).

Also, Maqs had some very nice contributions (GPS, network RE, date/time flicker fix in menu), and he's pretty skilled on the reverse engineering side.

The hardest part with 6D (and all other new ports) is sitting down and ironing all those little quirks. This part doesn't require a lot of skills, but it does require a lot of time, dedication, attention to detail, and the ability to understand an existing codebase (which is a good skill to have). So, help is still welcome for bugfixing and polishing things (on all cameras, not just 6D).

Regarding new features, if something requires camera-specific support and it's interesting enough (like raw video :P ), somebody will port it sooner or later. If the code is already working on two cameras, one being a digic V and the other being a digic IV, it will be likely easy to port it on most other models.

sirquack

What coding language is used for ML? My son is a developer and I have a 6d? I would be happy to talk to him and see if he would be willing to do a little side work on ML if it would be helpful. Are there devs who would be willing to talk or assist him with getting up to speed? I would love to see more dev work on the 6D side of the house. I would love to see it get updated for the latest Canon firmware update so I can at least have the current Firmware and ML at the same time. For now, I have gone back to Canon 113 so I can continue to use ML as well.
But I would also love to be able to get someone on this side of the house doing more development for those of us on 6D hardware.

a1ex

Quote from: sirquack on May 26, 2014, 07:20:14 PM
What coding language is used for ML?

Something between this and this.

If one has trouble identifying the language from a public source code repository, or if he asks things like where you can find boot-hack.c, the skill set of that candidate becomes quite obvious ;)

A better option is to start reading the sticky topics from the development area and code something easy, but useful. Once you have a serious question, there are many people around who can help (some recent examples here and here).

DJHaze596

Why am i getting a white/Magenta Screen when i push record for RAW Video on the 6D.  it happens 90% of the time.

Marsu42

Quote from: a1ex on May 26, 2014, 07:56:36 PM
If one has trouble identifying the language from a public source code repository, or if he asks things like where you can find boot-hack.c, the skill set of that candidate becomes quite obvious

Well, in all fairness he was just asking for some basic information to get his son involved who is supposed to know (even more :-)) stuff...

Quote from: sirquack on May 26, 2014, 07:20:14 PM
My son is a developer and I have a 6d? I would be happy to talk to him and see if he would be willing to do a little side work on ML if it would be helpful. Are there devs who would be willing to talk or assist him with getting up to speed?

... it doesn't work like that, getting started with embedded ML is not like setting up MS Visual Studio and code some gui apps, it's much more time consuming and trial and error. But on the other hand, coding for ML can be really fun if you have enough time on your hands because you can make your dslr do what *you* want.

It'd be great if your son lends a hand, but he would have to have some interest of his own in the project to have enough motivation to get started - it's not paid work, after all.

fauxtographer

Well, looks like 6D is being bumped to B Camera... or stills camera.

Just got my GH4.
6D | 24-105 f/4 | 70-200 f/4 | 28 - 35 - 50 - 50 - 135 |

Levas

:) I'm using the nightly build from 15 March 2014 for the 6d.
Using it for months now and did not find any errors in it, and got all the magic lantern stuff one would need.
All the "standard" magic lantern stuff, build in intervalmeter, magic zoom, fps override, raw recording etc.
Even MLV raw recording WITH AUDIO works perfect and you can view and delete the recorded clips in camera!
FPS override gives up to 35 FPS frames in canon 25fps mode.
I'm very happy with it  8)

Marsu42

Quote from: Levas on June 08, 2014, 10:16:02 AM
I'm very happy with it  8)

Me, too - but question is if any upcoming features (like mini_iso extended dynamic range, patch manager used in dual_iso, new audio system) will be ported to the 6d w/o anyone maintaining it. Currently the nightly 6d build is broken due to changes in the fps override - contrary to what you wrote, alex stated that it doesn't really work (I haven't tried myself).

Levas

As long as the new features of magic lantern are not as groundbreaking as raw recording and dual iso, I'm fine  8)
Ofcourse I do hope that the newer functions like mini-iso will eventually be ported, but if not, I can live without it...

Using fps override only for faster fps, like 35fps.
This works fine. I use it with 1728pixel wide clips in 2.39 ratio to record 6 seconds in 35 fps and slow it down to 25 fps in post to get a 8 or 9 second clip.
But I have read lot's of comments that it doesn't work fine for slower fps like 1 or 5 fps.

What is exactly the problem with the 6d nightly build ?
I did see that it is broken for the last weeks, is this gonna be fixed, I believe Alex is the only one with a 6d right ? (Besides 1% who has it's tragic lantern)