Bilal's crop_rec_4k experiments for 650D / 700D (T4i / T5i)

Started by theBilalFakhouri, September 18, 2020, 07:51:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

theBilalFakhouri

@Icaab

The footage looks good, you aren't using Dual ISO correctly, procced files will always have the low ISO exposure (then in Post you can raise exposure and you will have clean shadows).

Why your footage looks dark? because it's underexposed in first place, and in your case (the MLV file you shared) you don't need to use Dual ISO (your scene is flat, no much required dynamic range), there is no reason to start with 100 ISO in this case, you can start with 400 or 800 ISO and you probably won't have blown highlights.

Simple way to use Dual ISO correctly: You probably want to use Dual ISO only in contrasty scenes when you have bright highlights and dark shadows, expose your shot correctly (e.g expose for highlights), let's say you used 100 ISO as base, now turn on Dual ISO and set second ISO to 800 to get clean shadows recovery in post.

For example, take a look in these photos:
https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=7402.msg62865#msg62865

Icaab

Quote from: ShittyWebsite on October 11, 2021, 03:15:46 AM
I've just finished testing with the isoless build, everything works perfectly,
Dual Iso + Crop rec (1x3 uhd) + Raw v1: great for video
Dual Iso + Crop rec V2 (1:1 5000x3500) + Silent pics (burst) + Raw MLV: great for pics

It's amazing what you did with a entry level camera,

5K, 10bit, 2:35, 23,976 Continuous raw with dual iso, it's amazing, Thank you
Hello. How did you manage to take a photo with a crop that appears when you turn on the module Crop rec V2? (my camera 650d)

Icaab

Quote from: theBilalFakhouri on November 08, 2021, 03:23:20 PM
@Icaab

The footage looks good, you aren't using Dual ISO correctly, procced files will always have the low ISO exposure (then in Post you can raise exposure and you will have clean shadows).

Why your footage looks dark? because it's underexposed in first place, and in your case (the MLV file you shared) you don't need to use Dual ISO (your scene is flat, no much required dynamic range), there is no reason to start with 100 ISO in this case, you can start with 400 or 800 ISO and you probably won't have blown highlights.

Simple way to use Dual ISO correctly: You probably want to use Dual ISO only in contrasty scenes when you have bright highlights and dark shadows, expose your shot correctly (e.g expose for highlights), let's say you used 100 ISO as base, now turn on Dual ISO and set second ISO to 800 to get clean shadows recovery in post.

For example, take a look in these photos:
https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=7402.msg62865#msg62865
Okay. I realized my mistake.
I'm sorry, but can you drop the link to some instruction that describes how to shoot a timelapse with a dual ISO and a silent picture? (intervalometer doesn't work with these modules)

Also for a silent picture : I choose ful-res and shutter speed on frames always 1/4, whichever I choose. Am I to understand that this can only be fixed with an nd-filter?

And if I get a dng photo, how do I remove vertical stripes in mlvapp?

barton_senger44

Is there a way to get non stretched liveview in uncropped 1738x1880 1x3 binning?

theBilalFakhouri

Quote from: Icaab on November 08, 2021, 06:53:26 PM
Okay. I realized my mistake.
I'm sorry, but can you drop the link to some instruction that describes how to shoot a timelapse with a dual ISO and a silent picture? (intervalometer doesn't work with these modules)

Silent picture isn't reliable for 700D in crop_rec_4k branch, you need to use burst mode with RAW video off, IIRC intervalometer does work with that.

Also for a silent picture : I choose ful-res and shutter speed on frames always 1/4, whichever I choose. Am I to understand that this can only be fixed with an nd-filter?

Full-Res in Silent picture doesn't use LiveView (the RAW resolution from crop modes), it's same as capturing normal RAW photos but without using mechanical shutter, read about it here, if you want to use full-resolution with fast shutter speed, set Crop mode V2 to full resolution preset and set silent picture to Burst mode, also turn on Full shutter range from Crop mode V2 submenu (read the first post for more details).

And if I get a dng photo, how do I remove vertical stripes in mlvapp?

I think there is an option in MLVApp to transcode and import DNG/CR2 files to MLVApp, or just use MLV option from silent picture.

theBilalFakhouri

Quote from: barton_senger44 on November 10, 2021, 12:59:40 PM
Is there a way to get non stretched liveview in uncropped 1738x1880 1x3 binning?

There is "Framing" preview, it's not real-time preview but it's useful for framing, you can set it from RAW video submenu or toggle between real-time and framing preview by pressing half-shutter in LiveView.

Have you tried yet the following steps?

Quote from: theBilalFakhouri on November 07, 2021, 03:03:11 PM
@barton_senger44
Thanks, you already got them (from the registers).

I am using the addresses you have provided in this build:
https://bitbucket.org/bilal_fakhouri/magic-lantern/downloads/crop_rec_4k.2021Aug22.700D115_Shutter_Blanking.zip

This build should work for you without the shutter issue, please try it and feedback, make clean install (format SD card in PC then format it in camera then install the build from firmware update after coping the files to SD card).

Does the shutter issue still present?

barton_senger44

Ill try it right now I was busy with some stuff lately

ML700D

hi again bilal..  :D
just thinking.. can I use 50fps 1080p? or it is just 720p? with 1x3 binning mode?
I worried if something gone wrong as a noob lol..
so i ask you questions first.

thanks  :D
EOS 700D

theBilalFakhouri

@ML700D

You can play with Crop mode V2 and see what max FPS you can get at what resolution and binning mode :), 1736x970 3x3 @ 50 FPS is possible but can produce corrupted frames in lossless compression, and requires high write speeds (not practical)

AFAIK 1736x864 3x3 @ 50 FPS (maybe 48 FPS) is usable with lossless compression, might not be continuous. Using 1x3 binning mode with High-FPS would lead to very wide aspect ratio.

ML700D

Quote from: theBilalFakhouri on November 29, 2021, 08:15:08 AM
@ML700D

You can play with Crop mode V2 and see what max FPS you can get at what resolution and binning mode :), 1736x970 3x3 @ 50 FPS is possible but can produce corrupted frames in lossless compression, and requires high write speeds (not practical)

AFAIK 1736x864 3x3 @ 50 FPS (maybe 48 FPS) is usable with lossless compression, might not be continuous. Using 1x3 binning mode with High-FPS would lead to very wide aspect ratio.
I ever tried using crop mode V2 but still confusing with the setting and get pink zebra at live view sometimes, so how to calculate it properly? thanks.
EOS 700D

ML700D

hi bilal..
I found that if i record at a distance this is what usually happens and it didn't work using fixed bad pixel
EOS 700D

Danne

theBilalFakhouri

@ML700D

This problem is related to focus pixel interpolation algorithms inside MLVApp, it doesn't clean all focus pixels with Dual ISO clips, sometime it produces more focus pixels, best thing to do is as Danne suggested to use chroma smoothing. also trying different RAW debayer algorithms might help reducing these pixels.

ML700D

Quote from: Danne on December 08, 2021, 03:53:33 PM
Try chroma smooth 3x3.

Quote from: theBilalFakhouri on December 10, 2021, 02:28:07 PM
@ML700D

This problem is related to focus pixel interpolation algorithms inside MLVApp, it doesn't clean all focus pixels with Dual ISO clips, sometime it produces more focus pixels, best thing to do is as Danne suggested to use chroma smoothing. also trying different RAW debayer algorithms might help reducing these pixels.

I've tried it but it doesn't work with chroma 3x3 but yes it's a bit reducing when using log profile.
it's a bit strange, sometimes it's there, sometimes it's not even though I use the same setting.

ok. thanks bros..

EOS 700D

ML700D

hi bilal and danne

I noticed the problem when using fix bad pixels to auto that happen then I change to map it's reduced if I turn off, it disappeared..
weird 🤣

it's usually happen when using dual iso, afaik.
EOS 700D

ML700D

bilal,
I've got an error message Isoless LV (err2) when using dualiso in crop_rec shutter blanking version.
EOS 700D

ML700D

hi bilal, sorry to bother again.. 😁

just comes in mind, I saw that color primaries etc. (in the image below) using BT.709 in standard recording.
is it possible to replace BT.709 with others in magic lantern? e.g. log-c or something else.

EOS 700D

masc

@ML700D: this is metadata. You can write there whatever you want... but that won't change much, because the video data itself doesn't change. As far as I know processing in camera is done in hardware (for speed reasons) - so probably impossible to do "real" changes.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

theBilalFakhouri

Quote from: ML700D on January 29, 2022, 10:59:38 AM
bilal,
I've got an error message Isoless LV (err2) when using dualiso in crop_rec shutter blanking version.

-There are three builds in the first post, one of them should have both Dual ISO and Shutter values working without a problem, try each build and see what works for your 700D.

-Well, a while ago IDA_ML reported that shutter values are working fine when using crop_rec_4k.2021Aug22.700D115_Shutter_Blanking.zip, but he had a broken Dual ISO module (ISOless errors), I have just added a new fourth build combines both Shutter Blanking and Dual ISO fixes, these four builds should cover all reported cases:

Quote from: theBilalFakhouri on September 18, 2020, 07:51:30 PM
700D:
-Download the New build: crop_rec_4k.2021Aug22.700D115.zip
-Download the New build with re-solved Dual ISO ISOless 8 & 15 for some 700D users: crop_rec_4k.2021Aug22.700D115_ISOless_8_15.zip
-Some users have stuck shutter value issue in ML menu, please try this build: crop_rec_4k.2021Aug22.700D115_Shutter_Blanking.zip
-Some users may have both stuck shutter value issue in ML menu and ISOless Dual ISO errors, try the following build which contain both fixes: crop_rec_4k.2021Aug22.700D115_Shutter_Blanking_ISOless.zip

Sorry for these many builds, at least we have something that works :).

ML700D

EOS 700D

IDA_ML

No need to be sorry, Bilal.  Since I use Dual ISO a lot, this bug was really giving me a hard time.  I am glad to see that you have fixed it.  Thank you so much!

ML700D

bilal,
I tried fps overrides 1 fps but the result was not as expected, looks laggy instead of time-lapse.
I set 25fps crop_rec 1x3 4K preset then change in menu to 1 fps overrides.
export to h264 for testing.

why? thanks b4.
EOS 700D

theBilalFakhouri

Quote from: ML700D on March 21, 2022, 03:20:50 PM
bilal,
I tried fps overrides 1 fps but the result was not as expected, looks laggy instead of time-lapse.
I set 25fps crop_rec 1x3 4K preset then change in menu to 1 fps overrides.
export to h264 for testing.

why? thanks b4.

Your camera settings are fine. You need to change "Framerate override" in MLVApp export settings to your desired FPS (24 or 25... etc) then export the clip.

This happening because the framerate in MLV metadata was saved as 1 FPS based on your ML settings, so you are playing-back 1 frame every second = laggy result. Change FPS in post in this case.