Author Topic: Bilal's crop_rec_4k experiments for 650D / 700D (T4i / T5i)  (Read 19958 times)

Walter Schulz

• Contributor
Re: Bilal's crop_rec_4k experiments for 650D / 700D (T4i / T5i)
« Reply #150 on: October 02, 2021, 01:12:56 PM »
New card. Definitely more tests needed ...

elenhil

• New to the forum
« Reply #151 on: October 05, 2021, 04:06:17 PM »
I got the source code from ArcziPL yes, but I can't really do much for 70D without having the hardware, at some point I was going to borrow 70D for some time, but plans changed, I don't mind working on 70D if I got the body.
Since we're probably living on different continents altogether, I just hope you will one day cross paths with a friendly owner of an extra 70D. Will post a note to that effect in the relevant threads.

BTW, isn't it crazy that 70D, being the only ML-enabled camera with Dual AF, gets so little attention?!

Walter Schulz

• Contributor
« Reply #152 on: October 05, 2021, 05:24:16 PM »
BTW, isn't it crazy that 70D, being the only ML-enabled camera with Dual AF, gets so little attention?!

No, it is not. Nikfreak ported 70D, managing 3 different firmware versions (all going by the same version number) at once and some day had to shift his priorities. As it frequently happened and will happen in the future.
Such remarks "gets so little attention" are not helpful at all and some devs made it quite clear such things make them less interested in working on ML code at all. More like killing the motivation left.

elenhil

• New to the forum
« Reply #153 on: October 05, 2021, 05:27:38 PM »
No, it is not. Nikfreak ported 70D, managing 3 different firmware versions (all going by the same version number) at once and some day had to shift his priorities. As it frequently happened and will happen in the future.
Such remarks "gets so little attention" are not helpful at all and some devs made it quite clear such things make them less interested in working on ML code at all. More like killing the motivation left.
So sorry. Killing the motivation was the last thing on my mind, really.

ShittyWebsite

• New to the forum
« Reply #154 on: October 05, 2021, 11:56:36 PM »
Hello, i'm using this build, great build, everything works, but i have a little problem, when using lossless dng, it shows the console every time i take a pic, a bit annoying

I'm using crop rec v2 (10 bit, 1:1, 4.000 x 2500) and silent pics (burst/simple, DNG lossless)

I can't test with the crop rec v1 (when half shutter it zooms and crashes the camera)

Also, i'm not being able to use ETTR (crop rec also zooms on button SET)

Thank you and i'm loving this build, the only reason i bought this camera

theBilalFakhouri

• Developer
« Reply #155 on: October 10, 2021, 08:13:39 PM »

Back in 2016 I was going to buy 70D over 700D because of the awesome Dual Pixel AF, so yeah 70D is awesome, when X camera receive X ML developments/features that mean someone has:

Time + Inspiration + Hardware + Skills = new ML update

Time mean: a free time such as holidays, a part of day.. when a contributor/developer feels comfortable to spend some time on this project.
Inspiration: when a contributor/developer feels making X thing would be awesome or when that contributor/developer who is actually a user needs a feature for his camera (that's how ML project started in first place).
Hardware: lacking of hardware could be a problem for progress, in some cases a contributor/developer may be able to work on X camera remotely without the hardware (depending).
Skills: coding, reverse engineering, assembly lang or at least you are familiar how software and hardware works in general, basic understanding helps

How unique/cool is the camera isn't a factor for a progress but that helps to boost Inspiration I guess :)
700D 1.1.5 | no more ISOless LV err 8 / SDR104 @ 240 MHz - Constant! | Fixed Scrambled LiveView in Higher resolution | Real-Time correct framing in the Way

theBilalFakhouri

• Developer
« Reply #156 on: October 10, 2021, 09:17:50 PM »
Hello, i'm using this build, great build, everything works, but i have a little problem, when using lossless dng, it shows the console every time i take a pic, a bit annoying

I'm using crop rec v2 (10 bit, 1:1, 4.000 x 2500) and silent pics (burst/simple, DNG lossless)

Thanks, sorry for the delay,

Which camera are you using?

Taking "Simple" silent is broken by default on my 700D (even in official builds, it stuck on "Preparing...") burst silent works, does taking "Simple" silent picture works on your camera?
Currently I don't recommend to use silent picture with crop mode v2, in crop mode v2 sometime black level goes wrong when capturing silent pic (no idea why).

Which FPS are using in 4000x2500 ?

Be aware: Lower bit-depths in Crop mode/V2 are meant for RAW video recording only, silent picture does only support 14-bit uncompressed or 14-bit lossless otherwise using lower bit-depths from crop rec/v2 submenu can lead to wrong white/black levels and to unrecoverable image (currently if you want to use silent pic make sure lower bit-depths are off from crop mode/v2 submenus).

I can't test with the crop rec v1 (when half shutter it zooms and crashes the camera)

Actually the crash is caused because of RAW video is on and you are maybe using burst mode, burst mode crashes the camera when RAW video is on (I think RAW video should be off when using silent picture, same crash happens on 5D3), why would use crop mode v1 for silent picture? I see crop mode v2 is better option for silent pic.

Also, i'm not being able to use ETTR (crop rec also zooms on button SET)

Hmmm, I need to find a workaround for assigned buttons, SET button is being used by crop mode to trigger zoomed preview (in this case I will just disable SET button for crop mode while ETTR is on, you can still use magnification button to trigger zoomed preview), also I need to take care of crop rec v2 because it using SET button for manual LiveView refresh.
700D 1.1.5 | no more ISOless LV err 8 / SDR104 @ 240 MHz - Constant! | Fixed Scrambled LiveView in Higher resolution | Real-Time correct framing in the Way

ShittyWebsite

• New to the forum
« Reply #157 on: October 11, 2021, 02:56:00 AM »
Thanks, sorry for the delay,

Which camera are you using?

Taking "Simple" silent is broken by default on my 700D (even in official builds, it stuck on "Preparing...") burst silent works, does taking "Simple" silent picture works on your camera?
Currently I don't recommend to use silent picture with crop mode v2, in crop mode v2 sometime black level goes wrong when capturing silent pic (no idea why).

Which FPS are using in 4000x2500 ?

Be aware: Lower bit-depths in Crop mode/V2 are meant for RAW video recording only, silent picture does only support 14-bit uncompressed or 14-bit lossless otherwise using lower bit-depths from crop rec/v2 submenu can lead to wrong white/black levels and to unrecoverable image (currently if you want to use silent pic make sure lower bit-depths are off from crop mode/v2 submenus).

Actually the crash is caused because of RAW video is on and you are maybe using burst mode, burst mode crashes the camera when RAW video is on (I think RAW video should be off when using silent picture, same crash happens on 5D3), why would use crop mode v1 for silent picture? I see crop mode v2 is better option for silent pic.

Hmmm, I need to find a workaround for assigned buttons, SET button is being used by crop mode to trigger zoomed preview (in this case I will just disable SET button for crop mode while ETTR is on, you can still use magnification button to trigger zoomed preview), also I need to take care of crop rec v2 because it using SET button for manual LiveView refresh.

I'm using a 700D, Thank you, its very helpful

At 4500 x 2500 i was getting 10fps (8 photos buffer) now i'm using 5000x3200 (7fps, 2 photos buffer) sometimes i use 1x3 1668x2040 10bit (continuous, about 5k 24fps)

I've been testing with 3x1 too, (5300x1160, 10bit that gives me 16fps continuous, works greatly for some bird photography and horse jumping obstacles)

For ETTR i can use the photo mode, press Set, then switch to video mode and it works fine

I've been using silent pics with both crop rec and crop rec v2, works perfectly ("Simple" dosent work so i just "Burst" and click once, it works greatly)
sometimes i guess some purple highlights on the crop rec v1, i just refresh the liveview and its back to normal

Right now, i'm gonna test the isoless build (my camera was showing the isoless message when dual iso but I dont even care, i'll test the build just for fun)

ShittyWebsite

• New to the forum
« Reply #158 on: October 11, 2021, 03:15:46 AM »
I've just finished testing with the isoless build, everything works perfectly,
Dual Iso + Crop rec (1x3 uhd) + Raw v1: great for video
Dual Iso + Crop rec V2 (1:1 5000x3500) + Silent pics (burst) + Raw MLV: great for pics

It's amazing what you did with a entry level camera,

5K, 10bit, 2:35, 23,976 Continuous raw with dual iso, it's amazing, Thank you