Bilal's crop_rec_4k experiments for 650D / 700D (T4i / T5i)

Started by theBilalFakhouri, September 18, 2020, 07:51:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

elenhil

Quote from: theBilalFakhouri on July 12, 2021, 11:28:43 PM
I got the source code from ArcziPL yes, but I can't really do much for 70D without having the hardware, at some point I was going to borrow 70D for some time, but plans changed, I don't mind working on 70D if I got the body.
Since we're probably living on different continents altogether, I just hope you will one day cross paths with a friendly owner of an extra 70D. Will post a note to that effect in the relevant threads.

BTW, isn't it crazy that 70D, being the only ML-enabled camera with Dual AF, gets so little attention?!

Walter Schulz

Quote from: elenhil on October 05, 2021, 04:06:17 PM
BTW, isn't it crazy that 70D, being the only ML-enabled camera with Dual AF, gets so little attention?!

No, it is not. Nikfreak ported 70D, managing 3 different firmware versions (all going by the same version number) at once and some day had to shift his priorities. As it frequently happened and will happen in the future.
Such remarks "gets so little attention" are not helpful at all and some devs made it quite clear such things make them less interested in working on ML code at all. More like killing the motivation left.

elenhil

Quote from: Walter Schulz on October 05, 2021, 05:24:16 PM
No, it is not. Nikfreak ported 70D, managing 3 different firmware versions (all going by the same version number) at once and some day had to shift his priorities. As it frequently happened and will happen in the future.
Such remarks "gets so little attention" are not helpful at all and some devs made it quite clear such things make them less interested in working on ML code at all. More like killing the motivation left.
So sorry. Killing the motivation was the last thing on my mind, really.

ShittyWebsite

Hello, i'm using this build, great build, everything works, but i have a little problem, when using lossless dng, it shows the console every time i take a pic, a bit annoying

I'm using crop rec v2 (10 bit, 1:1, 4.000 x 2500) and silent pics (burst/simple, DNG lossless)

I can't test with the crop rec v1 (when half shutter it zooms and crashes the camera)

Also, i'm not being able to use ETTR (crop rec also zooms on button SET)

Thank you and i'm loving this build, the only reason i bought this camera

superg3

Hi all,

I'm having problems with Bilal's build when I output over HDMI in my 700D:

The red artifacts dissapear if I turn off Global Draw or disabling Focus Peaking.

If I use the standard Nightly Build no image problems, without artifacts, so it seems the problem is related with something in Bilal's build.

I love this Build, I'm gratefull and appreciate so much its development.

I hope you could help me. Just ask me for the info you need.

Kind Regards from Spain,
Marcos

theBilalFakhouri

Quote from: elenhil on October 05, 2021, 04:06:17 PM

Back in 2016 I was going to buy 70D over 700D because of the awesome Dual Pixel AF, so yeah 70D is awesome, when X camera receive X ML developments/features that mean someone has:

Time + Inspiration + Hardware + Skills = new ML update

Time mean: a free time such as holidays, a part of day.. when a contributor/developer feels comfortable to spend some time on this project.
Inspiration: when a contributor/developer feels making X thing would be awesome or when that contributor/developer who is actually a user needs a feature for his camera (that's how ML project started in first place).
Hardware: lacking of hardware could be a problem for progress, in some cases a contributor/developer may be able to work on X camera remotely without the hardware (depending).
Skills: coding, reverse engineering, assembly lang or at least you are familiar how software and hardware works in general, basic understanding helps

How unique/cool is the camera isn't a factor for a progress but that helps to boost Inspiration I guess :)

theBilalFakhouri

Quote from: ShittyWebsite on October 05, 2021, 11:56:36 PM
Hello, i'm using this build, great build, everything works, but i have a little problem, when using lossless dng, it shows the console every time i take a pic, a bit annoying

I'm using crop rec v2 (10 bit, 1:1, 4.000 x 2500) and silent pics (burst/simple, DNG lossless)

Thanks, sorry for the delay,

Which camera are you using?

Taking "Simple" silent is broken by default on my 700D (even in official builds, it stuck on "Preparing...") burst silent works, does taking "Simple" silent picture works on your camera?
Currently I don't recommend to use silent picture with crop mode v2, in crop mode v2 sometime black level goes wrong when capturing silent pic (no idea why).

Which FPS are using in 4000x2500 ?

Be aware: Lower bit-depths in Crop mode/V2 are meant for RAW video recording only, silent picture does only support 14-bit uncompressed or 14-bit lossless otherwise using lower bit-depths from crop rec/v2 submenu can lead to wrong white/black levels and to unrecoverable image (currently if you want to use silent pic make sure lower bit-depths are off from crop mode/v2 submenus).

I can't test with the crop rec v1 (when half shutter it zooms and crashes the camera)

Actually the crash is caused because of RAW video is on and you are maybe using burst mode, burst mode crashes the camera when RAW video is on (I think RAW video should be off when using silent picture, same crash happens on 5D3), why would use crop mode v1 for silent picture? I see crop mode v2 is better option for silent pic.

Also, i'm not being able to use ETTR (crop rec also zooms on button SET)

Hmmm, I need to find a workaround for assigned buttons, SET button is being used by crop mode to trigger zoomed preview (in this case I will just disable SET button for crop mode while ETTR is on, you can still use magnification button to trigger zoomed preview), also I need to take care of crop rec v2 because it using SET button for manual LiveView refresh.

ShittyWebsite

Quote from: theBilalFakhouri on October 10, 2021, 09:17:50 PM
Thanks, sorry for the delay,

Which camera are you using?

Taking "Simple" silent is broken by default on my 700D (even in official builds, it stuck on "Preparing...") burst silent works, does taking "Simple" silent picture works on your camera?
Currently I don't recommend to use silent picture with crop mode v2, in crop mode v2 sometime black level goes wrong when capturing silent pic (no idea why).

Which FPS are using in 4000x2500 ?

Be aware: Lower bit-depths in Crop mode/V2 are meant for RAW video recording only, silent picture does only support 14-bit uncompressed or 14-bit lossless otherwise using lower bit-depths from crop rec/v2 submenu can lead to wrong white/black levels and to unrecoverable image (currently if you want to use silent pic make sure lower bit-depths are off from crop mode/v2 submenus).

Actually the crash is caused because of RAW video is on and you are maybe using burst mode, burst mode crashes the camera when RAW video is on (I think RAW video should be off when using silent picture, same crash happens on 5D3), why would use crop mode v1 for silent picture? I see crop mode v2 is better option for silent pic.

Hmmm, I need to find a workaround for assigned buttons, SET button is being used by crop mode to trigger zoomed preview (in this case I will just disable SET button for crop mode while ETTR is on, you can still use magnification button to trigger zoomed preview), also I need to take care of crop rec v2 because it using SET button for manual LiveView refresh.

I'm using a 700D, Thank you, its very helpful

At 4500 x 2500 i was getting 10fps (8 photos buffer) now i'm using 5000x3200 (7fps, 2 photos buffer) sometimes i use 1x3 1668x2040 10bit (continuous, about 5k 24fps)

I've been testing with 3x1 too, (5300x1160, 10bit that gives me 16fps continuous, works greatly for some bird photography and horse jumping obstacles)

For ETTR i can use the photo mode, press Set, then switch to video mode and it works fine

I've been using silent pics with both crop rec and crop rec v2, works perfectly ("Simple" dosent work so i just "Burst" and click once, it works greatly)
sometimes i guess some purple highlights on the crop rec v1, i just refresh the liveview and its back to normal

Right now, i'm gonna test the isoless build (my camera was showing the isoless message when dual iso but I dont even care, i'll test the build just for fun)

ShittyWebsite

I've just finished testing with the isoless build, everything works perfectly,
Dual Iso + Crop rec (1x3 uhd) + Raw v1: great for video
Dual Iso + Crop rec V2 (1:1 5000x3500) + Silent pics (burst) + Raw MLV: great for pics

It's amazing what you did with a entry level camera,

5K, 10bit, 2:35, 23,976 Continuous raw with dual iso, it's amazing, Thank you

Deadcode

I need your help for lens recommendations.

Im going to buy a 700D, and i want to use it in crop mode.

What are the best cheap fast lenses for 3.24x crop which can reach infinity focus with the EF mount, without camera modification?

theBilalFakhouri

@Deadcode

700D is a cool camera ;)

Unfortunately I am not fast-lens expert guy, no much experience there. You better ask your question in a new topic in the forum or in reddit, maybe Discord too.

For what purpose do you want to use crop mode? I mean if you are looking for wide field of view with 3.24 sensor crop (fast wide lens), it might be better to consider *EOS M + Speed booster.

*keep in mind there are some differences among EOS M and 700D, like the articulated screen, lens mount (you can use speed booster or adapter to get EF mount on EOS M), 240 MHz overclock for longer recording times on 700D.

Deadcode

I already bought the 700D yesterday, and i choose this becasuse of your 1x3 dual ISO video on youtube :D
I know the strong points of the Eos M, tried it several month ago, but i had to stick with dSLR form factor due to family requirements (My wife shoots with 600D which has very limited raw video capabilities and i wanted to upgrade "her" camera, and she didnt want much change)

As i can see the 2,5K 1:1 with corrected preview, the ana 4,5K and the regular raw mode are the most usable.

im still catching up about the correct settings for most of the modes, like
- is there a 2.8K mode with 10 bit? the 3K with 14 bit compressed limitation only shoots for about 60 frames
- with crop rec new it seem like i can shoot with 8-11 bit in high rez crop mode, but if i turn on fix preview it switches back to 14 bit. 1440p 1:1
- how can i shoot full widt anamorph 1x3
- are there any reason to shoot 3x1?

These are my first experiances about 2 hours of playing with the camera, you dont have to answere these questions :)

BTW: Im using a Canon 10-18 IS STM, and my goal is to shoot as beautiful images as Zeek does who shoot mostly 2.5K with his EosM

IDA_ML

Deadcode,

Nobody can mimic your own experience with Magic Lantern.  You have your new camera in your hands now.  Instead of asking all these questions, why don't you just go ahead, test all available modes and check and see which one works best for you?  You have a large variety of mode choices and will very soon realize what increadible video features your camera offers to you.  Just pick one that you like most, test it out, learn how to use, practise a lot and you will soon start shooting these stunning quality videos that Zeek makes ! 

Personally, I like very much the 1x3 anamorphic mode on my EOS-M.  When set at 1280x2160 resolution at 10 bits lossless I get continuous recording at 24 fps and nearly aliasing free video with excellent rendering finest detail.   The crop factor is just as much as to avoid the softness and imperfections at the edges of my lenses. 

Here is a video that I shot this summer on the EOS-M using the above mode and settings:

https://cloud.mail.ru/public/x92j/VVXXaZdmV

To watch it in its highest quality, you have to download it from this link using the blue download button right above the video.  If you notice some softness on some of the clips, this is due to poor manual focusing on my part.   With manual vintage lenses focusing could be quite chalenging, especially at bright sun light.  Don't blame ocasional softness on the mode quality or the camera.

Good luck!

theBilalFakhouri

@Deadcode

You can use 10/12 bit-depths in lossless compression in all modes (for high resolution such as 1440p 1:1 and 3K 1:1 read the first post).
To get 2.8K resolution, choose 3K 1:1 preset from "Crop mode" (crop_rec) then reduce the resolution to 2.8K from RAW video submenu (mlv_lite).

To shoot in full-width in 1x3 mode, you need crop_new module (Crop mode V2), simply go in "Crop mode V2" submenu --> Choose preset --> 2.35:1 1x3 --> exit ML menu and press SET button to apply the changes if it didn't apply --> now you get 1736x2214 in 2.35:1 AR @ 23.976 FPS in 1x3 mode, if you want more height you have to reduce FPS through "Crop mode V2" submenu then increase Y resolution as you want and don't forget to press SET button in LiveView to apply the new settings.

-"FIX preview" option doesn't affect bit-depths.

-For 700D I can't see benefits for using 3x1 binning mode, this mode produce aliasing and moire as normal 3x3 mode, the option is there since the crop_new meant to control sensor parameters such as binning modes and other settings.

Deadcode

Quote from: theBilalFakhouri on October 23, 2021, 06:28:56 PM
exit ML menu and press SET button to apply the changes

That was the missing part for me! Thank you! I was hitting the info button, and rebooting constantly...

barton_senger44

Hey everyone I have the latest version of bilals build but i have the shutter blanking issue. it just shows N/A. If there isnt a fix available I would like to have the is build https://builds.magiclantern.fm/jenkins/job/raw_video_10bit_12bit/53/artifact/platform/700D.115/magiclantern-raw_video_10bit_12bit.2019Mar24.700D115.zip but with the sd_uhs module. Is that possible? I tried adding it to the modules folder then reflashing but that didnt work and gave me an error loading the module. I would like this option as I don't like shooting in crop and the normal RAW video is great for me. What can I do?

Icaab

Hello. Installed the latest version of the firmware on 650d. Decided to use a Dual ISO. Original ISO 100, Recovery 1600.
I open in mlvapp. Normal exposure. When I start correcting, the video is so dark, it's like I only shot 100.
Where can I go wrong?
Screenshot-1149" border="0

theBilalFakhouri

@barton_senger44

Quote from: barton_senger44 on October 26, 2021, 07:47:13 PM
Hey everyone I have the latest version of bilals build but i have the shutter blanking issue. it just shows N/A. If there isnt a fix available I would like to have the is build https://builds.magiclantern.fm/jenkins/job/raw_video_10bit_12bit/53/artifact/platform/700D.115/magiclantern-raw_video_10bit_12bit.2019Mar24.700D115.zip but with the sd_uhs module. Is that possible? I tried adding it to the modules folder then reflashing but that didnt work and gave me an error loading the module. I would like this option as I don't like shooting in crop and the normal RAW video is great for me. What can I do?

For 700D you have two different builds, one of them might work for you, from the first post:
Quote from: theBilalFakhouri on September 18, 2020, 07:51:30 PM
700D:
Download the New build: crop_rec_4k.2021Aug22.700D115.zip
Some users have stuck shutter value issue in ML menu, please try this build: crop_rec_4k.2021Aug22.700D115_Shutter_Blanking.zip

Have you tried both? does the two build have the shutter issue on your 700D?

Quote from: Icaab on November 05, 2021, 07:34:10 PM
Hello. Installed the latest version of the firmware on 650d. Decided to use a Dual ISO. Original ISO 100, Recovery 1600.
I open in mlvapp. Normal exposure. When I start correcting, the video is so dark, it's like I only shot 100.
Where can I go wrong?
Screenshot-1149" border="0

Mind share a short MLV sample (maximum of 5 seconds) which has the problem? You can cut the affected MLV file in MLVApp, export it as MLV "Fast pass".

barton_senger44

theBilalFakhouri

barton_senger44

Yes this march build works flawlessly but as I said it doesnt have the sd_uhs module. Is there a way to trace the shutter blanking bug in your latest builds tho? I think crop rec might come in handy or even 1X3 binning.

theBilalFakhouri

Okay, that's because march build (from 10/12 bit branch) doesn't support shutter blanking, in crop_rec_4k builds shutter blanking are required and it seems your 700D have different addresses from the included addresses in my two builds.

Shutter blanking allows to get correct shutter speeds when overriding FPS.

So in this case please follow these steps here:
https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=25784.msg236184#msg236184

And provide shutter blanking addresses from your camera, also provide a RAM dump (zip it before uploading), you can get the RAM dump from "Debug" tab in ML menu --> press "Dump ROM and RAM" and wait until it finish, you will find RAM4.BIN in your SD card under ML/LOGS please upload it somewhere and PM me the RAM dump.

IIRC sd_uhs won't work directly in 10/12 bit branch, probably needs some modifications, I will try compiling it for you so you can test it, but I don't promise to make it work if it doesn't work.

barton_senger44

Quote from: theBilalFakhouri on November 05, 2021, 09:30:03 PM
Okay, that's because march build (from 10/12 bit branch) doesn't support shutter blanking, in crop_rec_4k builds shutter blanking are required and it seems your 700D have different addresses from the included addresses in my two builds.

Shutter blanking allows to get correct shutter speeds when overriding FPS.

So in this case please follow these steps here:
https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=25784.msg236184#msg236184

And provide shutter blanking addresses from your camera, also provide a RAM dump (zip it before uploading), you can get the RAM dump from "Debug" tab in ML menu --> press "Dump ROM and RAM" and wait until it finish, you will find RAM4.BIN in your SD card under ML/LOGS please upload it somewhere and PM me the RAM dump.

IIRC sd_uhs won't work directly in 10/12 bit branch, probably needs some modifications, I will try compiling it for you so you can test it, but I don't promise to make it work if it doesn't work.
first register 40452918, second register 4045291c
ram dumb https://drive.google.com/file/d/1wVDc0bWr3IWyPKrGEHvxbQcIhqX61g2j/view?usp=sharing
where should I get the shutter blanking address from?

theBilalFakhouri

@barton_senger44
Thanks, you already got them (from the registers).

I am using the addresses you have provided in this build:
https://bitbucket.org/bilal_fakhouri/magic-lantern/downloads/crop_rec_4k.2021Aug22.700D115_Shutter_Blanking.zip

This build should work for you without the shutter issue, please try it and feedback, make clean install (format SD card in PC then format it in camera then install the build from firmware update after coping the files to SD card).

Icaab

Quote from: theBilalFakhouri on November 05, 2021, 07:52:45 PM
@barton_senger44

For 700D you have two different builds, one of them might work for you, from the first post:
Have you tried both? does the two build have the shutter issue on your 700D?

Mind share a short MLV sample (maximum of 5 seconds) which has the problem? You can cut the affected MLV file in MLVApp, export it as MLV "Fast pass".

Okay, I've got a raw source attached
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1j6alz9SFRrqHjrB8x7-s6iPPPpCilaZl/view?usp=sharing

By the way, is there any way to remove the stripes that appear when dual Iso is enabled?
Focus harder
1636369645574" border="0

And here's a picture where I have 100 ISO without dual iso

1636369645559" border="0