Danne's crop_rec_4k experiments for EOS M

Started by Danne, December 03, 2018, 06:10:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jacquaviva

Danne

New build:
https://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=9741.msg208959#msg208959

- The lua script which auto sets sd_uhs overclocking will now also open and close canon menu if mv1080p MCM rewire mode is set to settle all registers upon starting camera. Hopefully keeps extreme moiré away. So easiest set up would be to run the eosm_cine.lua script and then one is free to change to any preset, ratio, bitdepth etc and can forget about pushes here and there after restarting camera.

On a sidenote it´s actually possible to record 34 fps in H264 with the rewire mode set. Simply turn off RAW video and set FPS override to 34. That´s a few more fps than expected for H264. Going further just stops recording even before it starts. Why? I have no idea but finding out that would be something else..

AF-OFF

tested Danne's two last builds. no damaged frames so far
I've found that the 2.5k mode has a 28 pixel row on top in both builds
The res of this mode changed also quite a bit from the initial 2520x1304
then there is a strange haze in mv1080p MCM mode and aliasing
also noticed , when changing iso, like from 200 to 400, on eos-m screen there is a green haze or stripes
the recorded image is without the haze

please see the MLV App screenshots below

I hope this can help a little. I can provide some dngs if necessary.
Many big Thanks to Danne and others!

Danne

New build:

Thanks for samples and tests @AF-OFF
- I fixed the top row for 2k 16:9 setting

Regarding the other stuff all is to be expected. Short anwer:
1 - Run the eosm_cine.lua to start off clean
2 - If changing presets push canon menu and back and also enter ml menu and back for all registers to set. This is even more important with mcm rewire mode. When working with mcm rewire mode itself it often includes pushing canon menu if you e.g change bitdepth etc.
3 - turn off 10bit or 12bit in Crop mode sub menu to record without green cast. The green cast is a result of pushing liveview brightness when running reduced bitdepths. Don´t expect continuous 14bit lossless though.
4 - Regarding aliasing and moiré. Please read through last 20 posts.

If you still can get shitty footage following above please let me know.

AF-OFF

thanks a lot Danne
I did the steps previously too (1 & 2 in Your post)
the row at top disappeared (2.5k 16:9)
res. in 16:9 is now 2192x1234 and with 2,35:1 2520x1072
what changed also - leaving ML menu und entering/leaving  Canon menu breaks LV. Double Enter/Leave ML menu fixes that. But not in the mv1080p MCM mode. have to restart the cam.
5k preset does not record continuous anymore. did change fps to 18, then it did. Thought it was because 14bit lossless (didn't change bit depth in crop_rec) but MLV App reports 10 bit lossless ...
and no corrupted frames in any res by now

many thanks for explanation ( point 3 & 4 )

AF-OFF

hey Danne
the new version acts now more as expected
if going to 2.5k mode and changing something, leaving ML menu and entering leaving canon menu breaks LV but entering/leaving ML menu once more fixes LV again. All other modes tested don't have this error.

tested 5k, mv1080p MCM & 2.5k & mv_1080p with the last three first with default 2,35:1 & 16:9
with exception of 5k mode 10bit lossless all other 14bit lossless

another thing to mention - as You wrote about the green cast related to 10 & 12bit modes - is this the same as when applying 3x3 chroma smoothing in MLV App makes the image greenish?
Noticed this does not happen with 14bit footage in MLV App

in 5k(10bit) and 2.5k(14bit) I can record with 18 fps continuous ( 51-52 MB/sec)

Thanks for Your work!

tried 5k in 16:9, 10bit works well @ 15fps

Danne

I only use 2.35:1 4.5k anamorpic. All modes 10bit except rewired, works 14bit lossless.

AF-OFF

thanks for info
Anywhere possible I'm now trying to use 14bit lossless

What I also forgot to mention is now the first recording (after power up, mode change always stops after a sec. I've tried card warmup but does not change this. usually the second or third recording goes continuous. This is in all modes I've tested, but was not like this before. hope this is useful for You Danne

Also the 5k mode can do 24fps. the speed is shown as 44-45 MB
I did not try long enough, just thought I have to reduce fps.

Danne

I tested just now but it works as expected. You might want to format card and start with a fresh build. As stated before, continuous should be able for all presets when set to 2.35:1 and 10bit, otherwise not, except for some of the presets(mcm rewire, 2.5k etc. Might work with 16:9).
Thanks for testing.

AF-OFF

Thank Danne, will do tomorrow. Will start with clean prefs and activate modules then the script as You have mentioned.

Again thanks much for Your effort

AF-OFF

Danne's 21. Feb build
tested
mv1080p 1736x1158 14bit lossless (pic 3)
2.5k 10bit 16:9 & 2.35:1
5k 10bit

no corrupted frames

after changing modes in 5k or 2.5k, somehow the first recording stops immediately the next is continuous, BUT not always

leaving ML menu via touchscreen and enter-leave canon menu, breaks LV in 2.5k and 5k modes (images 4 & 5) have to enter-leave ML menu to fix it 
Found that leaving ML menu by pressing Menu button, doesn't break it and changes seems to be done, recording is ok.

please look at screenshots below

what I did also understand now, when recording 14bit lossless, focus pixels can be removed in MLV App with the "Fix Focus Dots" set to on. No need for 3x3 chroma smoothing. This seems to be only good for 10-12 bit recordings.

Thanks to Danne and Others

Danne

Check dfort's work and status around focus pixels.
As I see it changing modes has it's quirks. Restart if needed. Plenty registers needs changes and refreshing etc will often include pushing menu buttons.
On a sidenote. Got 1736x1158 flying in rewire mode. Will include it when I have the energy...

masc

Quote from: AF-OFF on February 22, 2019, 02:41:02 PM
what I did also understand now, when recording 14bit lossless, focus pixels can be removed in MLV App with the "Fix Focus Dots" set to on. No need for 3x3 chroma smoothing. This seems to be only good for 10-12 bit recordings.
After we got focus pixel maps for the new presets, there is no need for chroma smoothing. Until this, it will be the only simple way to remove them.
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

Danne

New build:

- mv1080p MCM rewire now includes 1736x1158(3:2) this is default mode. Set ratio to 2.35:1 or 16:9 from Crop mode sub menu.

rev787

Greetings. New to video and magic lantern. Thanks for Danne and the team's work on EOS M. Received EOS M today and tried shooting something with Feb22 build using dual iso. I observe tint(?) difference between each frame when using mlvapp. I wonder if this is the same issue mentioned several pages ago about flickering or it's mlvapp processing. I probably should not use dual iso for this kind of scene anyway.
Shortened mlv. https://mega.nz/#!Isw1jIDQ!Ex8lj42WVGB_r9ISw5QzMhZXozQupoYSXuQGI9YID4Q
Another dumb question, how do I take picture with Danne's build? Disable the scripts?

Jonit

Testing the Feb23 build. This thing is getting better and better Danne. Thanks a lot for your work on this.
There is a one thing/bug I have noticed - when you go over 1/4500s during recording, the screen starts to flicker. Just to note that...

EDIT: I forgot to mention that it was in 1080p MCM mode

Jonit

Are those a focus pixels?

I was just looking on one clip I just filmed (1/45s, f5.6, ISO100) where a portion of a frame had blown-up highlights. In MLVApp I lowered the exposure to -4EV and then I checked "Highlight reconstruction". These focus pixels (or what are they) showed up in those blown highlights.
So I thought that that may be an easy way to map them all out if they show up this nicely over blown up highlights with reconstruction turned ON.
I tried to reproduce it by using the same settings and aiming at diffused strong white light. I didn't manage to make them appear again. But then I cranked the ISO to 3200 and they showed up (probably wasn't that over-blown with ISO100).

Jonit

Here Is the first example where I noticed it.
So in that map I posted, the middle focus pixels (bars) are missing.

dfort

@Jonit - You are mapping out these focus pixels in MLV App? How? If this is from one of Danne's new crop_rec resolutions the code hasn't been written for it yet.

I'd like to take a look at your example to see if the map files I'm preparing will work with that image. Please upload a shortened version of your MLV file and post a link to it. Thanks!

Quote from: AF-OFF on February 22, 2019, 02:41:02 PM

Same comment as above -- if this is one of Danne's new crop_rec settings I'd like to check it out.

Jonit

@dfort
Here is how to map this pattern:
-results are from Dannes latest build (Feb23), using "mv 1080p MCM rewire" preset
-yes, I'm using MLVApp 1.5. Just lower the exposure to -4EV and enable "Highlight reconstruction" checkbox
-it works only in 10bit (maybe 12bit also - I haven't checked that)

Here are the short example MLVs: https://mega.nz/#!DB9nTIwS!bPMcXWlVzdO8n8ciaoETrjkeQBcVyXYUVtEfdnbWOa4

@Danne
-this may be maybe of interest to you. I found out that when the aspect ratio in Crop mode sub menu is set to OFF (which means that it is in 3:2 aspect ratio), then there is an empty portion on the bottom of the image which don't contain these focus pixels.

optical-work

Quote from: rev787 on February 23, 2019, 02:27:48 PM
Received EOS M today and tried shooting something with Feb22 build using dual iso. I observe tint(?) difference between each frame when using mlvapp.

i'm not certain but 14bit lossless and 12-14 uncompressed flicker less than other options, if any. so mv1080 14bit lossless might be the best choice for continuous dual iso. (mcm mode looked same to me, i didn't try much though.)

dfort

@Jonit - I'd recommend skimming through the Dealing with Focus Pixels in raw video topic. Yes, there will be areas where there are no focus pixels, some settings they seem to disappear only to come back with a vengeance on your next shot. Two of the three samples you uploaded aren't working with my latest focus pixel map files so I've got some more work to do on this. Once we get all of these new settings mapped out it will be time to figure out how to code these patterns so they can be integrated in the various MLV processing apps. After that, it will just be a matter of keeping the "Fix Focus Dots" option enabled and you'll never have to worry about focus pixels again -- well that's the goal.

masc

@Jonit: funny, that really works - overexposing by far, and then EV=-4, Highlight Reconstruction = on. You can see the focus pixels.
@Jonit: this does only work, when leaving Focus Pixel Fix enabled. When switching it Off, those pink dots are away.

@dfort: I also recorded some frames, one clip overexposed (@10bit), another with normal exposure (@14bit) using Danne's rewire preset @ 1736x1158. I uploaded the clips with an receipt, so you can see them good in MLVApp. Does this help? It seems there are different types of focus pixels - some are very good to see (white, center), others not so good to see (dark grey, everywhere). The dark ones are good visible in the overexposed clip, processed like Jonit did.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/beswhuzkoin7axr/FocusPixelEosM_Rewire.zip?dl=0
5D3.113 | EOSM.202

alpicat

@masc just to check, when you're exporting the video (or png file) from MLVapp, are you disabling "Fix focus dots"? If you leave that setting on, as it is by default, I find that additional focus pixels which are really difficult to see show up, and they're not there if turned the setting is turned off. However I did not test this extensively at all and haven't tried with the very latest version of the MCM rewire preset, so don't know if that's still happening.

In any case, in order to get an accurate understanding of where the focus pixels are, I guess it's best to turn off the fix focus dots setting and any other fixes such as chroma smoothing that might intefere with the results in MLVapp?