600D Audio TEST release - 2.3 based

Started by scrax, August 13, 2012, 10:28:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

miyake

Oh,no
Audio remote shot is not working now....my fault.
Already solved on source code.

bart

Hi I did a test with the Rode videomic.

USB monitor is hard to get started. Plugged in on startup gave a black screen and same plugged in after startup. But after trying a couple of times It worked. Plugin external mic after startup works and is reported on screen.

I use to get a pretty weak signal from the rode videomic. But I had little problems now with the big analog gain and boost options. Maybe it's as good as the videomic pro now.

Anyway I have both 550d and 600d and I could test differences if needed.

miyake

@B4rt
Thakyou for testing.
The USB monitor things. See Youtube on 1st post.
Some peoples already asking same thing. But I can't get smart answer for it.

-Volume issue.
You may volume up boost, first. Then volume up the analog gain. Maybe you can get low hiss-noise sound compare with cannon volumes. Try it.

-550D things
Current code is combined all cameras codes in same audio.c. So I think I want you to confirm on 550D is same function of previous 550D codes when we finish stabilization optimization.

Kromofone

Alright, here's my report:
I did some testing, for any bugs, so I explored many combinations, so here are some videos, so you can see for yourselves:

1st one - ML600D - Audio - Bug 1:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75E7eqdQzoI
Info: Here I was experimenting a little bit, I turned on the sound recorder, so only sound was recorded, then I pressed the record button for video and the camera went shut, it froze. At that point I couldn't do anything else but to remove the battery and restart the camera. I don't know if this is a bug or just a weird combination and a mixup of some wrong codes.

2nd one - ML600D - Audio - Bug 2:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMelrZMU45I
Info: In this video I explored the possibility of recording secondary aka custom sound when recording video. You can see, that as soon as I turned on the sound-only recording, while I was video recording, I couldn't get out of the menu of magic lantern. Then I curiously pressed the shutter button, to take a picture, thinking if that would help, but it turned out, that I created the same freeze problem as in the 1st video.

3rd one - ML600D - Audio - Bug 3:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_mDTv3OAbU
Info: Here I started only sound recording via the feature in the audo menu, and tried to change the functions in Canon's audio menu. When I did, Audio meters froze, and well...I'll let the video explain it, does a better job than me for sure.

4th one - ML600D - Audio - Bug 4:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=beLMzFXPv3E
Info: In the last video, I discovered that I was able to go from video mode to photo mode with the audio feature still turned on the whole time. So then I could record audio, even if I was in photo mode, because the audio was turned on from previous use of video mode.
So this could be very useful, to have audio also in photo mode and not in video mode, so that I could record longtime audio without having the shutter up and without the sensor getting hot through time. If this could be implemented, could you do it, miyake?

Oh and I also experienced the same bug from 3rd video, when I was making some changes with analog gain+boost and analog mic boost, while I was recording sound only. And I noticed that there was considerably less noise, if I was using analog mic boost to max instead using analog gain+boost to max.

Miyake I hope, this helps you in any way to make the audio function more stable for the 600D, but if not, I took some time out of your daily life and for that I am sorry! :P

Edit (28.08.2012, 17:21): I just found out another bug or false thing of some sorts. If, let's say, I wan't to turn off Override setting in Photo (M) mode and turning it on again, hoping that I could get audio in photo mode that way, my audio meters go crazy aka to the top of the metering range.

miyake

@Kromofone
Thankyou ! Anyway, your finger is really fast ;D

-1st&2nd SoundRecording with video recording .
Sound recording function is making by Alex. And it's just developping it. Now we can't find how to record without audio , but audio amp is enabled on same time. It's a reason of it.

-3rd It didn't override when we change Canon audio setting from manual to auto
  Now we didn't found how to know canon audio setting changes. we only to know volume now. It's TODO.

-4th audio is working on photomode
It's not a bug. correct thing. Because we need to sound func for "Audio remote shot" in photo mode. Now v9 has a bug which is we can't override audio settings when we using photo-mode. So now you changed from movie to photo. It's working. But Audio on/off or some setting change was not working in photo mode. Code is already solved .

-5th Sound recording with audio setting change.
hmm. Soundrecording is not using our functions. It's only use canon functions. So we need to find how to override it.

Final things are same as 4th bug, I already solved it.

Anyway, You are a lot of combination with Sound recording. Did you find  another problem without Sound recording?

scrax

Quote from: Kromofone on August 28, 2012, 05:17:35 PM
Edit (28.08.2012, 17:21): I just found out another bug or false thing of some sorts. If, let's say, I wan't to turn off Override setting in Photo (M) mode and turning it on again, hoping that I could get audio in photo mode that way, my audio meters go crazy aka to the top of the metering range.
I have that problem too, and switching Filter will solve it.
I'm using ML2.3 for photography with:
EOS 600DML | EOS 400Dplus | EOS 5D MLbeta5- EF 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro  - EF-S 17-85mm f4-5.6 IS USM - EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM - 580EXII - OsX, PS, LR, RawTherapee, LightZone -no video experience-

miyake

@scrax
Basically, it's a solved on newest source. But I will check on filter codes. It's need a more exception for checking a status for cfg_override_audio.

Kromofone

@Miyake
Thanks for the insight, now I know a lot more, what is going on in the whole thing. Well one other thing kinda bothered me and that is audio monitoring. I use an AKG K271MKII Studio Headphones for monitoring and producing and I've hooked them up to the camera using some audio cables and adapters, I purchased sometime ago. But from what I can hear and tell is that the output volume is very low even at Max output at 11dB. And it seems like that there is no low frequency (bass) response in the output. Is the volume intended this way and maybe can't be amplified and adapted, or you just haven't explored the function enough and haven't found a way for it yet?

@skrax
Quote from: scrax on August 28, 2012, 09:55:31 PM
I have that problem too, and switching Filter will solve it.
Thanks for the tip. ;)

miyake

@Kromofone

1: monitor level issue
I have  no problem on my SONY MDR-NC600D. Your AKG' impedance  is 55ohms. But mine is 40ohms. So you may use more low impedance headphone for monitoring. Because 600D's audio chip max is only 11db.

2: bass sound issue
What microphone are you using? Can you get correct input? and recorded sound is also record without bass sound?
Anyway, We are only on/off sound chip functions. So I didn't touch sound friquency in this time.May be we can't solve it.

miyake

It from 600D audio chip specification.
QuoteHigh Pass Filter 1(DC filter)
A first-order High Pass Filter that bandwidth is bellow 10Hz for the purpose to cut DC.

So you may turn off all filter, Then check it.

Kromofone

Quote from: miyake on August 30, 2012, 06:46:30 AM
1: monitor level issue
I have  no problem on my SONY MDR-NC600D. Your AKG' impedance  is 55ohms. But mine is 40ohms. So you may use more low impedance headphone for monitoring. Because 600D's audio chip max is only 11db.
I gues I'll have to buy some sort of a portable amplifier. Any suggestions are welcome, if anyone has them.

Quote from: miyake on August 30, 2012, 06:46:30 AM
2: bass sound issue
What microphone are you using? Can you get correct input? and recorded sound is also record without bass sound?
Anyway, We are only on/off sound chip functions. So I didn't touch sound friquency in this time.May be we can't solve it.
I use a Soundking EH 205 microphone, which is almost identical to the Shure SM58 (sound-wise) as I have used the Shure one, before I got the Soundking one and they are pretty much indentical in sound. But I also tested the quality with the Rode Stereo Videomic and the quality of the bass response was the same. But I'll have to do some more testing with the headphones, so I'll be definitely sure about the problem.

Kromofone

Hmm this one looks interesting, but I'm looking for some more quality and more expensive stuff. I need high class-quality, when it comes to sound!

jonnyschanny

Hi all, i've been doing some sound testing and having fun!!! but i had a few questions about getting optimal noise to signal ratios.   First of all, from my experience, i got a cleaner sound when the analog gain was at 0 dbs and the mic boost was on 10 or 15 db then vis-versa.  In otherwords, the mic boost is giving a cleaner sound then the increasing the analogue gain. Also, for my setup, im running  a Rode NTG-2 ( battery powered) xlr into a Juicedlink cx211, into a  3.5 stereo cable into the canon mic port. sound is set to external stereo, although my mic is mono. So far, when i have the gain in the juice link at max, i've got a very clear sound recording.  I was wondering if you guys had any preferences on the mic boost vs increasing the analogue. i've stayed completely away from the digital gain. Also, i havent tested the difference between the windscreen on and off and see how it effects the volume. Anyone else run some of these tests??       Thanks again to all of you doing the programming. You amaze me with your skills :D

Kromofone

@Miyake
Oh, just stumbled apon another thing.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLuE7FAPnMQ&feature=youtu.be
Got any explanation for this? It automaticly started to switch when I pressed the Q button, trying to access it. And when I went to the main menu, all of those ones were going like crazy, as if a ghost was constantly browsing through all the menus via the Main Dial. 2nd video coming in a minute.

miyake

@jonnyschanny
We know boost is better S/N ratio for volume up. (^_^)b
And now Filter functions(DC/HPF2) has bug. wait for a moment to solve it.

@Kromofone
We had same experience on just start up the audio deveropment.
But now we have no chance to catch this bug, So I thought this bug is gone.
I will try to reproduce it.

BTW, I'm having a business trip now. So I will solve it when we going back to my home.

1%

You can record with the voice recorder while audio off.
Audio remote shot takes 2 pictures and won't work if audio disabled.

miyake

@Kromofone
I just checked bass sound issue.
It has no problem.

I using wave form generator to test bass sound.http://www.ne.jp/asahi/fa/efu/soft/wg/wg.html
And connect between PC speaker out and  600D's mic input using 3.5 pin cables.
Then test under entries. I can hear the base sound from monitor output from headphone.
-50Hz
-63Hz
-80Hz
-100Hz
-125Hz
-150Hz
-200Hz

Let me know why you thought that "bass sound is not hear on your headphone" ?

@1%
will test it.
But now , audio remote shot has no problem.
Anyway, will push current code soon.

miyake

600D audio autoexec.bin *BETA* Updated
autoexec10.bin (need rename to autoexec.bin)
http://chirari.ddo.jp/pub/betauploader/600Daudio/
(Uploader changed. )
History
-audio remote shot en-bug solved
-DC& HPF2 filter bug solved. (Previously these filters are always on)
-delete unused global filter on/off
-beep/audio recording/playback working only without connected RCA monitor cable.
-This version is not support WAV record and Movie record together

hmm, when can I freeze codes..................

miyake

@1%
Let me confirm your will.
- You want to use audio recording when audio off in canon menu. right?
-You want to use remote shot when audio off in canon menu. right?

1%

Yes, its a little more complicated though. I want a 3rd mode for override where it ignores the sound enabled switch and start wav when movie starts. So like it makes a MVI_31337.mov and MVI_31337.wav.

Right now I flipped the define for sound recording enabled and can record wav + ~100mbps video but its not automated. Conveniently now audio override on/off turns sound on/off. This way we have sound for ppl who want it in the movie and for people who want it separate. Would help the fps override ppl too as right now their audio is all mismatched.

miyake

Confirmed on my code too. I also recording CBR 2.0 + wav sound.
Check my repo. And I also check your repo .
BTW, I feel recorded sound is a little fast. The bitrate setting is related with clock or some h264 clocking to be fast?
Then, If we found how to solve clock? things, we can record normal recording path, I guess.

Anyway, I will think about best user interface for it.
I think  add some more options for doing this , and override when start recording.

1%

QuoteBTW, I feel recorded sound is a little fast. The bitrate setting is related with clock or some h264 clocking to be fast?

I got echoes sometimes like there is a delay if BR gets too high but I need to test more. Right now I'm starting it manually.

All it needs is a extra mode for audio override. Like On, off, Audio off. Then it can make wavs automatically. No more fighting with canon stuff too in this mode and probably no delay waiting for override. Just have to pass wav recorder a filename and make sure buffer is not too small/big, etc. I dunno if clocking is related as wav audio is separate from MVR and shouldn't be affected by it. Have not tried with FPS override which does change clocking.

* also now with cache hacks you can no-op canon writes to audio

miyake

QuoteI got echoes sometimes like there is a delay if BR gets too high but I need to test more. Right now I'm starting it manually.

What is "BR"?

QuoteI dunno if clocking is related as wav audio is separate from MVR and shouldn't be affected by it. Have not tried with FPS override which does change clocking.
The clocking is just my guess, I don't know correct point. And MVR with audio need to more CPU/Buffer, because H264 ?clocking? is faster than normal recording. So audio need to fit . It's need a cpu and buffer . So it will stop, I guess.

-Menu things
As your said some combinations.
But I think, only Hi-Bitrate need to record audio .
I think , don't need to record sound on FPS override.

If so,  I will add "With WAV record on/off" menu in Bitrate submenu. Then actual code in audio.c , I imagine.
How do you think?

ilguercio

Canon EOS 6D, 60D, 50D.
Sigma 70-200 EX OS HSM, Sigma 70-200 Apo EX HSM, Samyang 14 2.8, Samyang 35 1.4, Samyang 85 1.4.
Proud supporter of Magic Lantern.